Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joys of CCTV

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Just an update on this lads.

Settled with the guy for €875 cash. Just collected it now.

Going to cheaply fix car at home and the remainder will pay for my insurance and a few beers at Christmas. I was toiling with whether or not to get the law involved but in the end settled for cash, got the impression he had learned his lesson though.

Cheers for all the replies, advice and recommendations.

Nice one........ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Just to loaf in at the last minute - something like this happened to me but I was the d!ck that did the damage...

Long story short - whilst in college and drunkenly staggering home one night I knocked the wing mirror off a car. Guy whose car it was saw it happen and called the gardai. Gardai picked me up and asked me if I did it. I was so drunk I honestly didn't remember doing it (pretty bad) and wouldn't admit to it so they locked me up for the night! Following morning they woke me and asked me again if I did it, but pretty much implying it was blatantly obvious that it was me! So I fessed up (still remembering none of it). They said as long as I paid for the repair it would go no further. I called back to the garda station a few days later where they showed me a photocopy of the invoice for the replacement wing mirror and I paid what was owed. And that was the end of it.

The guy could easily have had fleeced me or had me in court and prosecuted but instead just used the gardai as a go between cos he didn't want to deal with me directly. And the gardai only took it as far as the guy wanted. I guess they decided I wasn't a scum bag and wasn't going for a repeat performance anything soon so my lesson was already learnt.

Just so you know the other side and what you could have used the gardai for. No idea what kind of character the fella that kicked your car was though... But I'd make sure he's not the kind of guy that makes a habit out of this kind of thing and that he's going to do it again any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Tbh any involvement with the Gardaí would seriously impair his career prospects (teaching) so that was the extent of my sympathy for him.

Made it very clear initially that there was ample evidence to show it was him and I would have no problem with seeing him up in court if he didn't stump up. He genuinely got a fright at that stage and I think it's safe to put it down to drunken foolishness.

Happy enough with the outcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Fair play. As long as you're covered and he gets a proper scare and doesn't do it again you couldn't really ask for much more. Well, apart from sh!te like this not happening to begin with that is.

Good job catching him though and getting it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Woke up Monday morning to find this

3097958580_ffeec6f874.jpg?v=0

Needless to say I was not a happy bunny.:mad:

Called into the managers office of the apt. building where I live to find they had it all on CCTV, once again I was not happy watching some little ****** putting his boot to my car.:mad::mad:

Happily though they were able to identify said ****** so they put the squeeze on him and I just had the immeasurable joy of ringing him to let him know he would be paying for it or would be getting a nice visit from our friends in blue.:cool::cool:

So can anyone recommend a quality panel beater in the Northside of Dublin, Dublin 9 if possible? (Cost isn't an issue :pac:) Is the panel fubar or do you reckon it can be popped out?

Cheers lads.
    Send it to BMW to do the job, it will cost a bomb:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,777 ✭✭✭✭unkel

something like this happened to me but I was the d!ck that did the damage...

It took guts to come on here and post that. Thanks for sharing your story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

DonJose wrote: »
    That is criminal damage and should be treated so. I would contact the guards and make sure this f****r has his day in court and a conviction. Rent out a nice car while your car is being repaired and get your insurance company to send him the bill for the repair and car rental, what kind of scumbag would do this :mad:

totally agree with DonJose. Best idea in the thread.

Advertisement