Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joys of CCTV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i would absolutely fleece him.my mate had something similar happen him a few months back, was all on camera.he got in contact with the guy and told him he was going to the cops unless it was sorted out .he went with the most expensive quote and had 2grand more to add to the price of a new car and the garage took his one as it was think they knocked off €500 on the trade in coz off the dents.scumbags deserve to get screwed when they get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

just becuse the cost of the repair is aprox the value of the car has nothing to do with him - the toe rag -anyway, you do what you want to do to the car. If you want cash an beat it out with a piece of wood and a hammer, so be it. If you want to bring it to an Opel dealer, so be it.
    Don't be worried about him.

If it were me - Just get cash and patch her up. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That is criminal damage and should be treated so. I would contact the guards and make sure this f****r has his day in court and a conviction. Rent out a nice car while your car is being repaired and get your insurance company to send him the bill for the repair and car rental, what kind of scumbag would do this :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Woke up Monday morning to find this

3097958580_ffeec6f874.jpg?v=0

Needless to say I was not a happy bunny.:mad:

Called into the managers office of the apt. building where I live to find they had it all on CCTV, once again I was not happy watching some little ****** putting his boot to my car.:mad::mad:

Happily though they were able to identify said ****** so they put the squeeze on him and I just had the immeasurable joy of ringing him to let him know he would be paying for it or would be getting a nice visit from our friends in blue.:cool::cool:

So can anyone recommend a quality panel beater in the Northside of Dublin, Dublin 9 if possible? (Cost isn't an issue :pac:) Is the panel fubar or do you reckon it can be popped out?

Cheers lads.

Mid 90's Vectra with no NCT, tis a write off i'm afraid.

There's some funny pre-conceptions about Panelbeating:pac:

1- Strip it down to get to the damaged area
    2- Spoon it up with a dolly behind the dent and hit it with a bumping file
    3- Sand off the paint with 40 grit to remove all the paint (so the isopon has somthing to grip to)
    4- Fill with isopon and wait to dry (3 skims of isopon usually gets you a good idea)
    5- Use 40 grit at 1st then finish the repair with 80 grit
    6- DA (electric orbital sander) with 180-320 grit paper to get rid of all the scratch marks left from sanding the isopn
    7- mask around the repair
    8- prime 5:1 mixture
    9- wait for 3-4 hrs for it to dry
    10- spray guide-coat over the primer (Black Spray Paint)
    11- wet sand with 600- grit paper be sure to use a rubbing block (Dont Use Your Hands!!!)
    12- sand the primer until you cannot see the black paint
    13- scotch the panel on the repair, dry it really well
    14- pre clean the panel make sure you wipe it all off to get rid of all the grease and dirt.
    15- mask all the area you dont want paint,
    16- tack the panels (special rag) to get rid of bits of dirt.
    17- paint 0.25 of a litre should do any small repair
    18-laquer
    19- it takes around 2-3 hours to dry.
    36038.JPG
    36039.JPG
    36064.JPG
    36065.JPG
    36101.JPG
    36103.JPG
    36225.JPG

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Woke up Monday morning to find this

3097958580_ffeec6f874.jpg?v=0

Needless to say I was not a happy bunny.:mad:

Called into the managers office of the apt. building where I live to find they had it all on CCTV, once again I was not happy watching some little ****** putting his boot to my car.:mad::mad:

Happily though they were able to identify said ****** so they put the squeeze on him and I just had the immeasurable joy of ringing him to let him know he would be paying for it or would be getting a nice visit from our friends in blue.:cool::cool:

So can anyone recommend a quality panel beater in the Northside of Dublin, Dublin 9 if possible? (Cost isn't an issue :pac:) Is the panel fubar or do you reckon it can be popped out?

Cheers lads.
    Glad you were able to find the little scrote but why would you not inform the gardai? It was criminal damage and should be reported!
    :eek::eek:

Main dealer gave a preliminary quote of €1500 for parts and labour based on the pictures shown above. He reckoned that a good bodyshop would be looking for about €600 to sort it.

Which puts me in a bit of a dilemma. €1500 could be twice the value of what the car is worth. Even though it's not my money it would be a bit silly to put that much cash into a car in parts....
    :confused::confused:

Opinions?
    It was your car and if it gets written off then you will need to spend time in a rental while you are looking for another.
    If you want to keep the car then thats your right. He is not an insurance company who may be in a position to make demands. The fact that the damage is working out at more than the car's value to me is irrelevant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd be getting the cops onto him regardless and getting him charged, and then after I got the 1,800 Euro off him from the priciest main dealer estimate in town, the boys in blue would be the least of this little c*nts problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd echo what the others have said. Wouldnt be letting him away with just paying for it. If someone crashed into my car (and didnt leg it) and paid I'd have no issue with them. What this little knacker did was way beyone accidentally crashing into someone. He deliberately kicked the car. Screw him to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

DonJose wrote: »
    That is criminal damage and should be treated so. I would contact the guards and make sure this f****r has his day in court and a conviction. Rent out a nice car while your car is being repaired and get your insurance company to send him the bill for the repair and car rental, what kind of scumbag would do this :mad:

Exactly, make him pay up and then get the law, make sure he pays up in full, also make him cover the cost of a rental car while yours is getting rapaired. This idiotic chap will do this act again.

If it was me I would either destory his car, ie so it was basically a rotting cinder or else I would destroy him by taking a sledge hammer to his right knee so that the next car he went to dent would need a ramp going up to it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This reminds me of an incident I had when living in Birmingham in the early nineties.

I was out at our rugby club's annual dinner and got a wee bit tipsy and I decided to walk the mile home at approx 5.00am. When I turned on to my road, I was about 200 metres from the house and my car was parked on the street. Approximately the same distance beyond my car was some little skanger coming towards me. He kicked every car on the road and we met at my car. He looked at me, looked at the car and smirked. One well executed haymaker later and he was laying on the road with stars spinning around his head. :D

I called the cops and they came and took him in. I believe he was charged with criminal damage although I never knew the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Park motor centre on prussia street beside hanlons corner will do that at reasonable cost and good finish.

No point in looking for big money if this fella hasn't got it
    more chance of getting 500 euro out of him and don't repair it.
    Looking for 1500 write off is naive and probably unfair
    (he who has not sinned cast the first Stone etc) unless he or Daddy is loaded.

The attitude of some here(screw him) shows why Insurance got so expensive in the past.
    If he kicked you or your gf different story i'd throw the book at him but you want a few bob and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i detect a very large jar of vaseline being purchased.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cheers for the replys lads, given me a lot to think about.

Spent the day mulling it over. Going to get 3-4 quotes tommorrow and get the average cost.

Make a phonecall to the fool and tell him he owes me the average cost of the 4 quotes. Then get the car repaired on the cheap at home, there is no point putting a huge amount of money into it regardless of who is paying for it. The cash I get from him will pay for a Christmas present for herself and my insurance in January.

If he had backed into the car or stumbled against it I would look for enough to cover the cost of a patch-up. The fact the fcuker intentionally kicked it twice means I'm going to hold the threat of the law over him until the cash is in my hands.

I'm reluctant to get cash from him and get the law involved. Would it be a criminal offence or a misdimeanour?*

*@mods, if that constitutes requesting legal advice please remove, I want to keep this thread alive for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'm reluctant to get cash from him and get the law involved. Would it be a criminal offence or a misdimeanour?*

A misdemeanour is a criminal offence (or was until some statute or another removed the distinction between a misdemeanour and a felony). But it is criminal damage.

I echo what one poster above noted. It is stupid talk to be going on about "screwing" the guy. The reality is if you get anything you will be doing well, and the only way you will get anything is if the gardai are willing to play ball, e.g. agree not to prosecute him if he pays up. That is their sole decision, not yours.

You can of couse sue him seperately, but you are probably not actually going to get any money from him.

BE NICE TO THE GARDAI. They are your friends. You are not in a strong position! (btw this is not legal advice, but common sense!)

EDIT: I should also add that no matter what happens in the District Court, the accused is unlikely to get a €1500 fine!.. and the idea of having a criminal conviction may or may not worry him.

Whoa, I never said nor inferred that I intend to screw the guy. That said I want satisfaction. He has admitted guilt to me and the management and I have it on CCTV.

To recap, he came home drunk, saw my car and left approx. €1500 worth of damage in his wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

biggus wrote: »
    The attitude of some here(screw him) shows why Insurance got so expensive in the past.
    If he kicked you or your gf different story i'd throw the book at him but you want a few bob and move on.

This has nothign to do woth insurance and/or it's prices. The guy decided to be an absolute knacker and kick someone property for no reason other than he decided to and didnt think he'd be caught. **** him and screw him for every penny possible. Might teach the little **** a lesson.

Is it somehow less of a crime because the OP's car wasnt worth much? What if it was the OP's brand new Ferrari? Would it then be worth persueing? I dont see why it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stekelly wrote: »
    This has nothign to do woth insurance and/or it's prices. The guy decided to be an absolute knacker and kick someone property for no reason other than he decided to and didnt think he'd be caught. **** him and screw him for every penny possible. Might teach the little **** a lesson.

Is it somehow less of a crime because the OP's car wasnt worth much? What if it was the OP's brand new Ferrari? Would it then be worth persueing? I dont see why it makes a difference.

I wasn't inferring for a second the OP was trying to do anything he is not entitled to do.

I am merely pointing out you may indeed be entitled to €1500, but if he won't or can't pay it, then your options are limited.

If you can get €500 as another poster mentioned, then well and good. A bird in the hand and all that...

These are two completely separate issues OP. The Gardai will charge him with causing criminal damage. The fact that he has paid you when the matter comes to court might be taken into account for sentencing, but he is still guilty of the offence. I'd put a saddle on this c*nt and I can tell you it would be the last time he'd lift his foot to a car again if I was in your shoes!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

similar thing happened to a work mate a few years back, he left his car overnight at the back of work and some guy kicked the crap out of it. Apparently he thought it was his car and was planning on sleeping in it after a feed of beer and went nuts when he couldn't get in. The Guards caught him as his similar car was parked a few cars along. They charged him and advised him to get the car sorted if he wanted a good hearing in court. He did and got probation act afair..

copacetic wrote: »
    similar thing happened to a work mate a few years back, he left his car overnight at the back of work and some guy kicked the crap out of it. Apparently he thought it was his car and was planning on sleeping in it after a feed of beer and went nuts when he couldn't get in. The Guards caught him as his similar car was parked a few cars along. They charged him and advised him to get the car sorted if he wanted a good hearing in court. He did and got probation act afair..

That's all this pea balled c*nt will get if its a first offence. Still though, I'd let him away with NOTHING, now that I'd know who he is and I'd also pay a visit to his auld boy and give him a close up tour of the shrubs in his front garden...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Darragh29 wrote: »
    That's all this pea balled c*nt will get if its a first offence. Still though, I'd let him away with NOTHING, now that I'd know who he is and I'd also pay a visit to his auld boy and give him a close up tour of the shrubs in his front garden...

probably but if he is charged and doesn't get the car sorted he could get be in a bit more trouble in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

biggus wrote: »
    No point in looking for big money if this fella hasn't got it........
    more chance of getting 500 euro out of him and don't repair it.
    Phuk that. That's what parents-of-students are for. Besides, letting this prick of lightly is only a licence for the wanker to do it again. Nope. Nip it in the bud, now.
    Looking for 1500 write off is naive and probably unfair
    (he who has not sinned cast the first Stone etc) unless he or Daddy is loaded.
    . He should have done that before he wrecked OP's car. Well I've never done that, or anything like it, so I'm not wearing that 'sinner' horse****, either. And if it means anything, let Daddy thrash the **** out of him as well, after OP gets his money. Maybe that'll ingrain right from wrong on his brain, at this late stage.
    No, he's not involving insurance company, so that's irrelevant. Not only that, resort to insurance companies in one reason why pricks like this are still around doing stuff - they never get pursued, and legal eagles are too quick to argue it's too expensive to chase, and cheaper to pay out. No, taking this guy to the cleaners is the best you can do to keep your insurance - and ours - under control.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

would agree, get the guards involved, get what is owed and as it is criminal damage, the little sh*T may think twice about it in future, that being said its your choice, the fact that it will cost him (or his parents - more likely) should be a deterent for future ghouling aound irrespective or getting the boys in blue involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

and just to add its fuppin excellent to catch the little fupper! - I've had house and car broken in to over the years and noone was done for it, tis probably rare that you'd catch someone like you did, so fair play!Hang him out to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dibble

Personally, I wouldn't go down the road of consciously screwing the guy. I would however demand that the car is restored to it's former condition, regardless of the cost. This is a very reasonable expectation and one I would not budge from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Bear in mind that this would be a totally different thread if the CCTV had not caught him. You would have been left with a damaged car and no recourse.

You have two issues as I see it:
    1. personal - get your car sorted.
    2. civil - as a citizen you need to decide what type of a country you want to live in. That decision is made based on your reaction to events like this. Civic duty does not begin or end at the ballot box. This is not about the clown that damaged your car, it is a test of your moral fibre and whether you can move beyond the "sure I'm okay" stage with ocasional cries of "somebody should do something" to active citizenship taking responsibility for your corner of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

1/4 panels are damm hard to do, this will cost someone

Been to 3 indie bodyshops and the average is ?800. Sittin in reception of Opel Airside at the moment watching innumerable amounts of staff milling around the place looking for something to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

:eek::eek:

Main dealer gave a preliminary quote of €1500 for parts and labour based on the pictures shown above. He reckoned that a good bodyshop would be looking for about €600 to sort it.

Which puts me in a bit of a dilemma. €1500 could be twice the value of what the car is worth. Even though it's not my money it would be a bit silly to put that much cash into a car in parts....
    :confused::confused:

Opinions?

i would have the car fixed at whatever cost it takes. thats his problem seeing as how hes paying for it instead of you having to like he thought would happen.

all he had to do was not kick the $hyte out of it and he wouldnt have to pay anything so i wouldnt have any pity on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

get the car fixed at whatever cost, pretend its a 911 carrera 2.

Fcuk that scum bag behaviour,let him pay for it the n0b.

• Advertisement

Just an update on this lads.

Settled with the guy for €875 cash. Just collected it now.

Going to cheaply fix car at home and the remainder will pay for my insurance and a few beers at Christmas. I was toiling with whether or not to get the law involved but in the end settled for cash, got the impression he had learned his lesson though.

Cheers for all the replies, advice and recommendations.

Advertisement