Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

niall mellon charity?whats the big deal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

not saying africa hasnt poverty but the pepple there live simple,something irish people need to go back too.plenty of kids in ireland in poverty......

Living simply.... you mean with no roof over their head to protect them against the heat or cold, no clean water or garunteded source of food!!! Somehow I dont see the people of Ireland returning to that in a hurry.
    As I said before what we consider poverty here isn't a patch on the poverty experienced by people in 3rd world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In the last year or two i heard the name alot in the media,now fairplay charity is great cant knock it but whats the big deal with it?..i was sick on the couch yesterday and there was a repeat of that xpose show on tv3 so i watched it.it had that model one glenda in south africa with the charity interviewing a property tycoon and pr guru.its like a fake charity for wannabe sociallites.they said 2000 people have been over to south africa its a pity these people wouldnt help at home here in ireland.i started just helping with old people just a simple thing like time no money,no fancy balls.no media spin.rant over it sickens my ****

Mate, didn't you know that you weren't allowed question overseas charity?
    Man, that's a big no no. You may be seen as a begrudger and NOT doing you bit
    for the poor African people.:rolleyes:

Niall is over in SA building houses for the poor people; I wonder how many houses
    Niall bulit in Ireland for any person for next to nothing? I just wonder?:rolleyes:

Oh, and don't dare mention Irish people maybe in poverty? That is a NO NO too. We
    have it so good and if some folks here had their way, they would take the shirt, never mind the house, off your back, to give to the poor Africans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

How can you even compare the conditions of houses here to the conditions of "houses" in South Africa???
    Thousands of people are dying there every year due to medical conditions associated with their appalling living conditions.
    If this was the case in Ireland, of course thousands of people would be helping, including "the RTE bods" as you call them. This isn't the case though.

I see nothing wrong with celebrities going along on these trips. Anything that helps highlight the terrible living conditions and the extreme poverty in many parts of South Africa, can only be a good thing, even if it is Glenda Eyebrows who is informing us.
    Making more people aware of the situation will help bring in more funds for the next trip. More funds = more houses.
    I can't even comprehend that there are people on here complaining about this charity. Seriously, what have you got to complain about???

Totally missing the point of this thread honey.

I resent these people hot wiring onto genuine charitable causes to further their own profile and to keep their faces in the media.
    When they apply a similar enthusiasm to the plenty of Irish causes out there
    maybe they will gain some respect from me,but I don't see that now or ever,so as far as i am concerned they are little better than the liggers and freeloaders their lifesyle is based on.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Totally missing the point of this thread honey.

I resent these people hot wiring onto genuine charitable causes to further their own profile and to keep their faces in the media.
    When they apply a similar enthusiasm to the plenty of Irish causes out there
    maybe they will gain some respect from me,but I don't see that now or ever,so as far as i am concerned they are little better than the liggers and freeloaders their lifesyle is based on.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Blunt, but SPOT on and unfortunately this view is not what folks want to hear.
    I really wonder how many of these marvelous tradesmen ever did a freebie for a person here? I'm highly doubting it

What's Mr Mellon's CV. What decent charitable act has he done here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

tribes all the over the world can use natural materials for shelter for 1000's of years.you wrap up in wool/animal skin for heat.they boil water that is a simple life.these people dont need celtic tiger homes!!they have their own ways
    plenty of empty houses in ireland going to waste.but again they were buillt for profit by all the tradesmen rushing to south africa
    just cause they dont have a shiny house doesnt mean their not happy living in tradditional style homes they have use for 1000's of years

• Advertisement

In fairness now, I am NOT dissing the tradesmen who go out.

I'm quite sure that most of them are totally genuine.

When I saw Gilsen on that paper last Sunday I fcukin almost boiled over.

tribes all the over the world can use natural materials for shelter for 1000's of years.you wrap up in wool/animal skin for heat.they boil water that is a simple life.these people dont need celtic tiger homes!!they have their own ways
    plenty of empty houses in ireland going to waste.but again they were buillt for profit by all the tradesmen rushing to south africa
    just cause they dont have a shiny house doesnt mean their not happy living in tradditional style homes they have use for 1000's of years

Absolute sense mate and fair play for starting this thread, We are saturated to the max with all this overseas 'do gooding' work. It's massive egos, business and hype.

I would bet next to NONE are actually GENUINE; it's all to make name and
    to be seen to be a hero.

In fairness now, I am NOT dissing the tradesmen who go out.

I'm quite sure that most of them are totally genuine.

When I saw Gilsen on that paper last Sunday I fcukin almost boiled over.

Genuine, are these the same tradesmen who would charge freaking 80 Euro to put on a bloody washer on a tap here in Ireland. Are these the genuine ones?

Yes they probably are, but MY beef is with the 'personalities' who piggy back on these things for no good reason only to freeload and lig as they do all their frikken lives!!!!

These people wouldn't lift a finger to do a similar project in Ireland.

That's what has my ballsack all sweated up and swollen!!!

walshb wrote: »
    Mate, didn't you know that you weren't allowed question overseas charity?
    Man, that's a big no no. You may be seen as a begrudger and NOT doing you bit
    for the poor African people.:rolleyes:

Niall is over in SA building houses for the poor people; I wonder how many houses
    Niall bulit in Ireland for any person for next to nothing? I just wonder?:rolleyes:

Oh, and don't dare mention Irish people maybe in poverty? That is a NO NO too. We
    have it so good and if some folks here had their way, they would take tho shirt, never mind your house,
    to give to the poor Africans!

You got it right mate, we have got it good here far better than 3rd world countries, we also have a social housing scheme which would negate the need for Niall Melon to build houses here in Ireland. If you drive through any town in the country u will see houndereds of houses idle.
    Bregudger.....never

• Advertisement

Why why does it matter if the charity is suported by celebrities? It keeps the name of the chairty in the public eye therefore benefiting the recipents, these celebs will always be around regardless of what we think of them at least their doing good.

Tipsy7 wrote: »
    You got it right mate, we have got it good here far better than 3rd world countries, we also have a social housing scheme which would negate the need for Niall Melon to build houses here in Ireland. If you drive through any town in the country u will see houndereds of houses idle.
    Bregudger.....never
    Who exactly are you speaking for?

Not me I hope. What makes you the voice for all Irish people?

What gives you the right to tell us all that we all have it good?

You are no different from these so called charities.

Btw, do some research on SA and maybe you will see that the country
    has more than enough power, money, resources and people to
    look after its own affairs. It doesn't have to wait on the likes of Niall bloody Mellon and his crew to solve its problems!

Why why does it matter if the charity is suported by celebrities? It keeps the name of the chairty in the public eye therefore benefiting the recipents, these celebs will always be around regardless of what we think of them at least their doing good.

Benefitting the recipients and the perpetrators.

Thats the important thing .

The people who run teams and give their time every Sunday morning are far more deserving of MYfunding than liggers and freeloaders tbh.

If you want to fund Gilsen et al going to SA, well then son, that's your decision.

I certainly won't.

And I will defend my decision not .

Benefitting the recipients and the perpetrators.

Thats the important thing .

The people who run teams and give their time every Sunday morning are far more deserving of MYfunding than liggers and freeloaders tbh.

If you want to fund Gilsen et al going to SA, well then son, that's your decision.

I certainly won't.

And I will defend my decision not .

Teams I thought we were talking about charities?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tricky D wrote: »
    He doesn't take a salary, if you could read the accounts you'd see that he's actually loaned euro 724K to the charity.
    Don't loans have to be repaid...?
    Do you really believ there is no one in South Africa who could run these projects with foreign money?
    Yes. Money given to the government as aid to the people often doesn't get to the people.

=-=

There are many other build-houses-in-SA charities,

=-=
    If you drive through any town in the country u will see houndereds of houses idle.
    All of which are thousands beyond what the poor middleclass here can afford.

=-=

The only way to do good in corrupt country is to do it yourself. SA may have lots of money, but doesn't mean the government care about the country. Yes, I think we should support our own poor first, but meh, can't see it happening.

walshb wrote: »
    Who exactly are you speaking for?

Not me I hope. What makes you the voice for all Irish people?

What gives you the right to tell us all that we all have it good?

You are no different from these so called charities.

Btw, do some research on SA and maybe you will see that the country
    has more than enough power, money, resources and people to
    look after its own affairs. It doesn't have to wait on the likes of Niall bloody Mellon and his crew to solve its problems!

Take a deep breath and calm.....
    I never said I was talking for anybody but myself. I believe in comparision to those in 3rd world countries we have it good you know with our clean water, shelter, health and education systems, long life expectancy just the small things really.

You truly believe that SA has all the reasources and just isn't using them???

It certainly does have the resources, man power, infrastructure and passion and desire.
    I didn't say it wasn't using them. I said it had so much going for it; but then again, why bother when the good OLD Irish are there to 'save your world.'

SA is a dynamic and beautiful and powerful powerful country.

I could name all the attributes but what would that do.
    I will simply say that any country with the power, money and resources to stage
    a World Cup, has a lot going for it.

That's just ONE to chew on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah everyone knows it's not charity if you smile while you're doing it!

That seems to be the root of it alright.
    Don't worry IV, the punters here are deliberately veering off the point.

Just so people are not mislead I will spell it out. Everybody knows this by the way!!

There is a growth industry in so called "celebs" going on overseas trips to "support" charities.

Yeah can't argue with that Flutts but while that's your point, which I don't see anyone arguing with btw, there are people who are saying that because there are better ways of ensuring aid is delivered to the more "worthy" poor people it's somehow wrong to raise €5000 yourself and go help build houses which is frankly a crock of shit.
    Tri wrote: »
    Well having been just back from Zambia in July building houses, I am outraged by your above comments.

Beats sitting on my arse moaning and bitching like you.

Good on you Tri.

Don't bother justifying what you did here. Charity shouldn't need to be justified and nor to people doing it need to flagellate themselves to ensure they're doing it in the proper spirit and not enjoying themselves.

Go away, do your thing and remember no matter how much you enjoyed it, it won't be half as much as the people you built houses for enjoy them.

Well done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

Nehaxak wrote: »
    This is one charity where I would ask the question as to how much their CEO is paid. I've heard very very high figures but I cannot substaniate them, nor is the information made available through their public accounts pdf document on their website, which I find dubious.

I lived with someone that worked for the Niall Mellon Trust. He paid for all of their wages, and didnt make a penny from it.

And yes he's looking to remove his name from the charity because to him its about the work, not the fame.

And to those saying why don't people help out closer to home, there is less red tape involved to set up a charity helping people abroad than to do something here in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why don't you cynics watch this interview with Niall Mellon on the Late Late show about a year ago......
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20080222.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6382821.stm

nft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

I believe in comparision to those in 3rd world countries we have it good you know with our clean water, shelter, health and education systems, long life expectancy just the small things really.
    SA is not a 3rd World country, despite what you might think people do not starve or die of preventable diseases. It has all of those things you mentioned, problem is the AIDS epidemic reducing the living age and overstretching the health system, I'd like to see any "1st world" nation do much better.

Walshb is right, they do have the resources, biggest deposits of Gold in the world, massive amounts of minerals, diamonds, massive tourism and a huge market for goods and investment. The problem is distributing the wealth, 100 years of institutional racism and wealth division isn't going to be sorted in 10 years.

yes all true, excellent post there.

Glad to see some posters have a sensible head on their shoulders and are not like rabbits in headlights on these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

LaMer wrote: »
    SA is not a 3rd World country, despite what you might think people do not starve or die of preventable diseases. It has all of those things you mentioned, problem is the AIDS epidemic reducing the living age and overstretching the health system, I'd like to see any "1st world" nation do much better.

Walshb is right, they do have the resources, biggest deposits of Gold in the world, massive amounts of minerals, diamonds, massive tourism and a huge market for goods and investment. The problem is distributing the wealth, 100 years of institutional racism and wealth division isn't going to be sorted in 10 years.

So should we like wait for them to cop on and do something (not working so far) or should we do our best to improve the lot for as many of them as we can?

Look you can't put someone down for doing something that they feel is right solely because they benefit from it too. It's better than doing nothing at all and hoping for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

Dinter wrote: »
    So should we like wait for them to cop on and do something (not working so far) or should we do our best to improve the lot for as many of them as we can?

Look you can't put someone down for doing something that they feel is right solely because they benefit from it too. It's better than doing nothing at all and hoping for the best.

No I never said that, i was setting straight facts that this guy left out. As I said before I've no problems with the charity, if it makes you feel good, do it. I'm not putting anybody down. Its a good cause. however I think the money would be better invested in training poor South Africans to do the jobs. They'll have a house sure (which is a fundamentally good thing), but at the end of the day will they have a job or skills? Probably not.

Its also abit of a worrying development for some South Africans, the new houses are expanding already overcrowded townships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

TO REPEAT=yes i know regular people help with the niall mellon charity and do hard work building but i hate all this gloss and spin thats go with the charity.its like their a snob charity because they can jet off to south africa.and yeah fiar play to the rich people at balls and auctions who spend money........in charity time and patients would mean more to me.i bet these people wouldnt go visit old folk over christmas ,cook an extra dinner or a cake for a old neighbour or invite them over.simple things.the oh my insert family/friend who is so great why dont they do some good at home in ireland because they get no attention and the glamour of saying the naill mellon charity

Maybe you should go for some help from your local literacy charity.
    Something to think about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Quite a few points of view on here. I'm disagree completely with the OP.

People that are saying the Irish Township Trust (aka Niall Mellon) are doing a good job are jumped on by people pointing out the problems here in Ireland... as if that's news to people.

What about the possibility that people that go to SA with the township trust are normal intelligent people that have decided that they would prefer to help South African people?

They might be perfectly conscious of the problems that we have at home, but they might like the idea of helping out people overseas.

To be clear about where I'm coming from, I work for a charity. Are we overpaid? No, I'm sure we're not. I have a standing offer to work for a forprofit firm for double the salary that I'm on now - and the reason that I keep doing what I'm doing is because I get a great buzz out of it. Yes, I'm a do-gooder.

I don't know Niall Mellon, but I know a few people that work for the charity. They do an amazing job as far as I know, they've gotten thousands of people involved in Development work and given them overseas experience that will probably influence they way they see the world - for the better as far as I'm concerned.

It's seven o'clock, I've just had my dinner. 923,000,000 people or so will go to bed hungry tonight around the world. If you want to do something about that, then do it. And stop giving out about the whole charity industry as if it's all the same.

Give specific and constructive criticism if you can take the time to analyse the situation and get to know the particular issue. In the case of South Africa, Naomi Klein has a whole chapter in The Shock Doctrine cataloguing how the handover from the apartheid government left the ANC government practically powerless to implement The Charter. You want to do something about that - get political. If you haven't got the time to do that, then help out with a charity that's active in SA. I hear the Irish Township Trust have got a pretty good reputation. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

woodseb wrote: »
    really, are the townships in south africa comparable to conditions in darfur or zimbabwe for example?

i think the people going over there have the best of intentions but there are more worthy causes that need such a mobilisation of funds and people

That's a really stupid comment to make. There's no cholera or typhoid epidemics in SA. But the people in townships in SA are DIRT POOR just like those in darfur and zimbabwe. They have no sanitation. They live in huts constructed from whatever materials they can find.

The people going over there to work for this charity are doing more harm than good. Think of all the trademen in SA who could be EMPLOYED by this charity - instead they are sitting around watching white middle class men come over to increase their own sense of self-satisfaction. It's just like those idiots in charities sending goats to poor african farmers without realising goats damage crops.

Again, no one is saying charity is wrong, that the NMT isn't doing great work that it's not good to help people worse off than ourselves.

That's all a given.

What knots the OPs kex, is the amount of so called celebrities who use the charity as a vehicle to project their media footprint and who wouldn't lift their little finger to do SIMILAR WORK in Ireland.

That's what the issue is here.

Go read the first post again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LaMer wrote: »

If it's that bad, why aren't there sanctions placed on SA until the government sort their people out? IMO leaving people to live in slum townships is unforgivable.

Countries like India, SA etc who are guilty of this have no place doing business with the rest of the world.

Advertisement