Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Osteitis pubis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Yeah, very good set up in SSC. Couldnt be better, well maybe a tad cheaper.
    I was a year out with OP, mainly due to not knowing for the first few months what was up!

Best of luck with the treatment and recovery anyway. Im no expert, but any questions and il answer from my personal experience!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nafo

right right cheers mate good to talk someone about it because on one i no has it ..let us no how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

amg-slurp wrote: »
    Anyone whose suffering from this, one man id advise seeing is Eanna Falvey in SSC, in santry.

As he said himself, whilst touching my groin.."its my speciality"!
    He knows his stuff (works with the irish rugby team too), is sound, and will get you sorted asap.

After getting my MRI with SSC, i was referred to him and then when he had checked me out he sent me for an injection, again in SSC. It done the trick, a course of pilates, lots of stretching when doing sports and resting when i need to and ive been fine since.
    Only thing that bothers me lately is some tightness in hip flexors, which i think is what caused the OP in the first place, but its a matter of being careful and smart with your training and stretching etc etc.

As regards sex and so on, my hip flexors are tight so some thrusting movements do cause some discomfort!! :o:o

Let her go on top sure, problem solved!

Eanna Falvey is the man to sort out injuries in this area - Another Poster mentioned that Paul O'Connell is suffering from this too?

iv just gotten back to training after having this for 9 months and before i went back i was doing joging for a good while and my leg was fine but the day i got back to training i felt a pain on my other groin, i no you are apost to feel the pain on either side but this is the first time i felt it there and its not the same pain as was on the other side...can anyone tell me if i pulled my right groin doing training or is it that im still feeling the systoms of op ?.....the physio told me if i had any more problems to go back to him but i dont wont to if i dont have to ..can someone please give me some advice, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

nafo wrote: »
    iv just gotten back to training after having this for 9 months and before i went back i was doing joging for a good while and my leg was fine but the day i got back to training i felt a pain on my other groin, i no you are apost to feel the pain on either side but this is the first time i felt it there and its not the same pain as was on the other side...can anyone tell me if i pulled my right groin doing training or is it that im still feeling the systoms of op ?.....the physio told me if i had any more problems to go back to him but i dont wont to if i dont have to ..can someone please give me some advice, cheers

They can't.
    According to the forum charter.

If you have concerns go back to your physio.
    Seriously, its your health, a load of people on the internet who know nothing about you can't give you any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Sounds quite SPD - Symphysis Pubis Disfunction

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/pregnancy/pregnancyproblems/pregprobs_pelvicjointpain.asp

that lots of women, myself included, suffer from during (and sometimes after) pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Hey everyone, im new to this but wanted to try to find out more about OP.
    Im a 21 yr. old Gaelic footballer & ive been suffering from OP for 1 year now. I joined the senior teams training sessions half way through their season having trained with reserves for the first part, i wasnt really ready for the intensity of the senior set-up and within 2 weeks i got right sided groin pain but i played on for 1 month, then went on anti inflammatories but once they ran out, the pain returned & wudnt go away.
    After 4 months of 'half' training when i felt like it, i went to see a physio, he told me i had OP and that i should stop all training. He refered me to an osteopath who said my hips and my pubic bones were misaligned. He realigned them but the pain was still there.
    so i took my time out and seen the physio regularly to get laser therapy on my groin and to loosen out my psoas muscles (hip flexor). Did this for about 2 months, then i was given some core strengthening exercises to do daily which i did religiously. I didnt find them working after 2-3 months so i decided to make an appointment to see Dr. Falvey in SSC. I got an MRI scan and then was told i should get the cortisone injection.
    Unfortunatley, the injection did nothing for me, i either didnt respond to the steroid or it was botched by the radiologist! :mad:
    I ended up goin back to the physio & he gave me a more intense core work out, i did them for 1 month then went to him 2 weeks ago & that was the first time i had no pain when i squeezed my legs together so maybe, just maybe im making progress.. i still get pain when performin quick side to side movements such as shuffling clothes hangers accross a rail or also sometimes sneezing..
    I can cycle and jog on treadmil pain free, but it seems im still a long way away from returning to sprinting and playing gaelic. I am willing to try anything new and am wondering does anyone have any alternative therapies, maybe acupuncture or operations or where you would go about organising these prolotherapy injections:confused:
    PS sorry for the long post but wanted to make my story clear to all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I tried Osteopathy for my spd wheb I was pg, dubious as I was it definitely helped relieve the pain.
    I went to the Littlejohn clinic.

[QUOTE= I didnt find them working after 2-3 months so i decided to make an appointment to see Dr. Falvey in SSC. I got an MRI scan and then was told i should get the cortisone injection.
    Unfortunatley, the injection did nothing for me, i either didnt respond to the steroid or it was botched by the radiologist! :mad:[/QUOTE]

did he not give you anymore advice when the injection did not work??

i didnt let them know it didnt work. i told my physio and he believes its common for some people to just not respond to the steroid injection. i wouldnt mind i travelled from donegal to dublin for it and the injection itself was far from pleasant... i probably should let them know that the injection didnt work bt ive just been gettin stuck into the physio stretches and i dont really get much pain with them anyway...

• Advertisement

right well iv heard dr falvey is one of the best to go to like iv gone to him and he sent me too this physio in ssc and he got me fixed in just over 2 months and before that i was going to someone for 5 months and no result so its worth wile going to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Just an update on my progress...
    6 weeks in to my training plan and im still improving. My current plan(which I try to do 5 times a week is) and depending how I feel is below:

My inner right thigh is still very sore, so im working away on that myself. My physio is pleased with my progress, and my core stability is improving. My gluts are still tight as is my hamstring(right) and I have general soreness around my right thigh/hamstring/hip etc.
    I have introduced an exercise ball, ankle weights(I find this excellent) into my routine.
    Also, I would recommened getting a good mat. I picked up a york mat in argos recently.

To bulk up
    3 x 12 30kg bench press
    2 x 10 6kg each dumbells

To help improve my abductors and hip flexors
    3 x 15 lunges with 6kg dumbells
    3 x 10 Side lunges
    Cross trainer for about 10 minutes
    3 x 10 wall squat
    6 x 15 seconds plank
    6 x 30 seconds gluts
    6 x 30 seconds (hold my leg to the opposite side of my stomach)
    6 x 30 seconds (lunge, one knee on the ground, tilt out my pelvis)
    3 x 15 lie on side, small lift of my leg
    3 x 15 lie on back, lift back and hold, then left leg and hold etc

If anyone requires more info on the above let me know, I probably havn't explained them too well :-)

just thought id let yous all know i first experienced osteitis pubis 12 months ago and just last week played my first full game since i was first diagnosed. Im delighted to be back playing, but im far from out of the woods yet.
    Dr. eanna Falvey examined me 2 weeks ago and told me that while the pain while squeezing the legs together is gone, i still have pain & tenderness over the pubic synthesis which indicates it has developed into gilmores groin which would eventually need surgery to rectify. He told me however that he would be in favour of me returning to play as long as i was reasonabley pain free... (Compression shorts and tiger balm does the trick!) So im back doing full training with the junior team and im gettin a bit of muscle back into my legs and i do feel an improvement. Hopefully i can get the surgery done when the season id over and not before fingers crossed.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cowen4life

hey weekaizer glad to hear your making progress!! did eanna falvey say your op developed into gilmores groin? ive had op for almost 7 months now, i tried to make a return a few weeks ago but the whole pubic area just became inflamed and extremely tender again. i dont feel any pain during the squeeze test though. ive done a load of strengthening excercises for my glutes etc but ive stopped because they are useless...

have been back since the start summer . Was going all well untill a week ago were i started feeling it again... champo coming up soon need get myself right! any more sugestions on whos best to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kingofthehills

After recieving the prolotheraphy injections almost 4 months ago i have made a super recovery. In June when i first started training again there was always a pain in the pubic area during the sessions and i foung that and cutting or twisting movements would inflict pain this area during and after. THe mornings after were torture like before but i took every training session individually. Maybe in July i began to see my fitness begin to pick up and that alternatively showed less pain in this area. The groin area was sore after the trainings but the pubic area was getting better. I began to push it for the training sessions on the tue and done 3/4s on the thursday so giving my body every chance to recover. I believe this was a major factor on my road to recovery. I always kept up with the gym work core, stretching and light weights not overdoing it. Towards the end of july i made the starting team for a championship here in kerry. I played alright and have kept my place since. I would ice the area the odd time after gaames or tough tue sessions.
    You can't rush back give your body a chance to adapt. I'm still uneasy on turning quickly off my left leg as i feel i could pull up. Squeezing my fist between my knees can be sore on the groin area so it hasn't fully healed but i'm grateful to the advice i got along the way and basically listening to my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bearach

hey, im 28 and have this op nearly a yr now, got the injection which really helped but played a match 4 days after getting it. have it now worse than ever. met a guy in castlebar last fri 19\02\11 he said its down to bad mechanics and ive to sort that first or all the rest in the world is no good. key here is gettin inflammation down im told. 15 to 20 sessions on the table he reckons..

if any1 has any contacts for me id be so gratefull. if paulo connell can come bac from this injury any man can!

bearach wrote: »
    hey, im 28 and have this op nearly a yr now, got the injection which really helped but played a match 4 days after getting it. have it now worse than ever. met a guy in castlebar last fri 19\02\11 he said its down to bad mechanics and ive to sort that first or all the rest in the world is no good. key here is gettin inflammation down im told. 15 to 20 sessions on the table he reckons..

if any1 has any contacts for me id be so gratefull. if paulo connell can come bac from this injury any man can!

hows it going, i had op for 10 months a year ago and im fully better now and i went to enna falvey in santry sports clinic (ssc) in ballymun. he looked at my scans and he recommended me to see james alan. which i think is the the dublin senior footballer physio at the moment but could be wrong. anyway hes the best iv seen to be honest he got me back fully in less than 3 months.
    if you wont to get better trust me go to this chap.
    the hardest thing about this injury is finding the right person and im telling you now he will get you back very soon. if you wont his number contact santry sports clinic. hopefully this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bearach

nafo wrote: »
    hows it going, i had op for 10 months a year ago and im fully better now and i went to enna falvey in santry sports clinic (ssc) in ballymun. he looked at my scans and he recommended me to see james alan. which i think is the the dublin senior footballer physio at the moment but could be wrong. anyway hes the best iv seen to be honest he got me back fully in less than 3 months.
    if you wont to get better trust me go to this chap.
    the hardest thing about this injury is finding the right person and im telling you now he will get you back very soon. if you wont his number contact santry sports clinic. hopefully this helps

Hey!

Thanks for the reply, wat sort of stuff did they get u doing in ur recovery program? I've spent so much money on this nd I want to be sure I'm not getting d same advice from different doctors. When u said u were back in 3 months, was it complete rest during that period? I'm a brickie so I'm wondering if I need to quite d job during recovery.

Chat ya soon
    Bearach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rayray1985

Got the OP in July 2010. Played away until October. Used to be able to get through matches but would be in bits before and after.

Gave it complete rest for 6 weeks. After that, I started Pilates. Did 3 one on one pilate sessions with a physio to understand it. Started yoga as well. Used to do exercises like putting a ball between your legs and squeezing and using theraband as well.

The pubis symphsis seemed absolutely fine after awhile but still had a pain in my groin. My Doc referred me to get a cortisone injection (covered by my medical insurance) in the groin area.

Left it two weeks doing absolutely nothing after the injection.

Been back playing about 3 or 4 weeks now. It feels really good, just got to make sure I do a proper warm up.

From what I have heard as well it’s all down to inflammation which causes the problem (this is what the cortisone reduces) so I’m not sure how helpful physio can be as they mainly breakdown scar tissue which isn’t the issue.

Took me 6 and a half months from when I stopped playing to comeback and didn’t go to the physio once (2 doctors appointments and a outpatient hospital appointment alright)

I have also ordered orthotics as I heard from two of my friends this helped them when they had OP. I hope to use these as a method of preventing it happening again more than anything. A lot of physios offer free Gait scans to see if your walking could be a cause of the injury.

If anyone wants more information feel free to pm me.

• Advertisement

bearach wrote: »
    Hey!

Thanks for the reply, wat sort of stuff did they get u doing in ur recovery program? I've spent so much money on this nd I want to be sure I'm not getting d same advice from different doctors. When u said u were back in 3 months, was it complete rest during that period? I'm a brickie so I'm wondering if I need to quite d job during recovery.

Chat ya soon
    Bearach

Had me doin lunges over 20 metres then this crab walk thing which was hell, its where you squat down and get on your toes and you basically walk like a crab over a certain distance. i started off doin round 15 metres and round 4 sets .went up to 20 metres doing 4 sets by the end. always tencing core and when you are doing the crab walk only move in a few inches at a time so do small steps. i also did running in a swimming pool for a while but this was before i got back into running.

As far as i no about the rest period is that you only rest for a certain amount of time when you get the injury so the inflammation can die down but after that you must do all rehab exercises. the rest period i cant quite rember how long but im sure if you wernt doing much on it for the last while i say the inflammation is gone down but id see from physio if he thinks its gone down or not but i dont think the rest period is that long now.

To be honest i got fairly paranoid on things i did that might aggravate it but the physio always reasured me that the swelling can only come from sharp turns when you run so i dout theres a need to quit your job but id ask a physio im no expert. are you interested in seeing james alan or are you not keen on spending more money cause iv done the exact same spent huge amounts? rember not to rush into thing when your back aswel becauce your body wont be as use to the contact of sport and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ironman2000

hey... just found out i have op two days ago. Had taken last 2 months off resting my left leg. went back training still not right. Anyone got any tips? are the injections useful? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Hi i have had op now for over 4 months and have just been refered to Pat O Neill in the Mater. Just wondering has anyone else been to him and what is he like.

My latest update guys! Ive had the operation for gilmores groin (mesh repair both sides) in February '11 in the mater private..paid a fortune, i followed the rehab programme religiously for 11 weeks, and i am still having pain when twisting suddenly or changing direction... at the follow-up appointment, my doctor said he felt that scar tissue was causing the pain and that there was nothing more he could do.. i wouldnt recommend him, just my personal experience however..
    anyway ive since gone to see another sports surgery consultant. He gave me a steroid injection a few months ago around where the mesh from my operation was just incase any trapped nerves were causing the pain..
    after few months my pain only slightly improved by about 30% or so. still present however, so i went back to him and he did a repeat MRI scan and he gave me the all clear that there is no tears visible or any signs of osteitis pubis! i should be delighted but hes not sure why im still in pain.
    he noticed the pain was brought on when i would point both my feet forward and then twist my upper body against resistance to my right or to my left, which was something i never noticed before...
    He gave a 2nd steroid injection, but this time into my aponurosis as he suspects there is an issue with my rectus abdominis muscle, only had that done a week ago and he is recommending a few weeks of pilates...not sure how successful that could be..
    Ive been googling gilmores groin clinic 108 harley street.. has anyone ever had any experience?! it sounds promising!..
    Apologies for lengthly post as usual! just giving the full story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DISABLED

Lads, once you get this injury, your time is up playing sport. I know most of ye dont want to hear this but its reality. Had same complaints as most here, had injection etc to no avail. Had bi-lateral groin mesh repair for gilmores groin. Followed 12 week post surgery rehab down to a t. Never ever felt right after going back to play, my pubic area seems inflamed played on like the idiot i was and it just came to the stage of not been able to live with it(the pain all round pubic area and abductors were so tight)Went back to surgeon and had a athlethic pubalagia mri scan which revealed i have a bilateral tear to my rectus abdominous!!(Doesnt show up in normal mri) and now need abductor releases on both sides..... Sorry to bring to everyones attention but we dont have experts in Ireland in this field. Its like playing donkeys tail. Im hearing rave reviews about 2 people in particular. both are out of their comfort zone. People are gettin wrongly diagnosed, spending a fortune, consultants blaming scar tissue n questioning your rehabilitation upon failure of op......the excuses...... I havnt played any sport in 9 months now and its worse im getting i am partially disabled i cannot do any physical activities what so ever ie mow lawn, dig a hole. limited to walking for 30 mins. Your health is everything. Get the ferry.

DISABLED wrote: »
    Lads, once you get this injury, your time is up playing sport. I know most of ye dont want to hear this but its reality. Had same complaints as most here, had injection etc to no avail. Had bi-lateral groin mesh repair for gilmores groin. Followed 12 week post surgery rehab down to a t. Never ever felt right after going back to play, my pubic area seems inflamed played on like the idiot i was and it just came to the stage of not been able to live with it(the pain all round pubic area and abductors were so tight)Went back to surgeon and had a athlethic pubalagia mri scan which revealed i have a bilateral tear to my rectus abdominous!!(Doesnt show up in normal mri) and now need abductor releases on both sides..... Sorry to bring to everyones attention but we dont have experts in Ireland in this field. Its like playing donkeys tail. Im hearing rave reviews about 2 people in particular. both are out of their comfort zone. People are gettin wrongly diagnosed, spending a fortune, consultants blaming scar tissue n questioning your rehabilitation upon failure of op......the excuses...... I havnt played any sport in 9 months now and its worse im getting i am partially disabled i cannot do any physical activities what so ever ie mow lawn, dig a hole. limited to walking for 30 mins. Your health is everything. Get the ferry.

Guys I know it's easy to throw in the towel, But don't. I nearly gave up hope because I had groin pain for 3 years, spent in total about 6000 euros on various physios surgeons, osteopaths physical therapists and prolotgerapists all of which resulted in dissapointment. Then I tried a Waterford based private clinic .. I got an MRI at Arthogram which showed 2 Labral tears of the hip, got them repaired using keyhole surgery, 12 week rehab programme and I am back playing now training 4 nights a week and the improvement is immense!! I hav no pains after training anymore but I do still get occasional twinges which will (I am assured) settle over a few months! Best thing was my vhi covered the procedures which would have cost 12000 fur the 2 ops... It just goes to show how 2 normal MRIs failed to show those tears but the dye in the Arthogram showed them no bother!!. It's worth the consultation if nothing else guys!..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

This is a really good forum. just been diagnosed with inflamed symphisis pubis and sounds therefore like OP. Had cortisone injections. First lot worked on the left side, but not on the right so had a second lot about 9 days later. Doesn't appear to be working after 10 days and i have decided to pull out of the Dublin marathon next week. Can't run a mile without the tearing/ripping/pulling/stretching pain and tight adductor muscles and IT band. I also have a bit of what seems like mild nausea all the time with the constant discomfort just around my abdominal muscle. Am told that cortisone takes up to 30 days, but I should have seen improvement by now, which I haven't. Am working with the SSL in Santry as well (Andy Franklyn-Miller). Diagnosis seems spot on, but I reckon cortisone is hit or miss. Problem is it can't really be repeated as it could weaken the tendon leading to potential rupture if done too many times. No idea how i got this injury. Have run 30+ marathons, no bother. But I have been running through a calf injury over the Summer on the other leg. So maybe i'm my own worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddy jack

Hey Guys,

I'm after having loads of Physio by different people for the last 10 months or so. The pain is no where near bad as it was initially but i took a break from running and bootcamp. I'm back at training now but I'm limited and afraid as to what I can and cannot do.

The pain is always there, never goes away, I just work through it all the time now. Had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. No conclusive results, may have to go for an Mri now.

The killing thing is I don't know what;s wrong, physio dont know, doc unsure, have been referred to a consultant and going back to him again next week.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a proper diagnosis please please

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smug1973

Hi Guys, I've been really struggling physically and mentally with Osteitis Pubis for 9months now. I've been to 3different physio's, a Chiropractor and many visits to my Doctor. Most of the posts on this Forum are from 2010 so I'm hoping you all stopped feeling the need to post because you are all pain and OP free. It would be good to hear how long it took some of you to recover if you have recovered at all?? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

smug1973 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I've been really struggling physically and mentally with Osteitis Pubis for 9months now. I've been to 3different physio's, a Chiropractor and many visits to my Doctor. Most of the posts on this Forum are from 2010 so I'm hoping you all stopped feeling the need to post because you are all pain and OP free. It would be good to hear how long it took some of you to recover if you have recovered at all?? :pac::pac::pac:

I am convinced I never had osteitis pubis even though the sports consultant and physio initially diagnosed me with it years ago.
    Fact is My hip arthroscopy sorted me out. I still get slight aches and pains after games/hard trainings but not as bad as before.

Advertisement