Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway car mechanic needed

Options

Comments

I need to get a leak sorted in my Rover 25, pretty sure it's leaking Coolant as after finding it empty and topping it back up.... I noticed it's dropped down below the min level again.

Would give it to a Boardsie as it wouldn't be a massive job once you can hoist the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I need to get a leak sorted in my Rover 25, pretty sure it's leaking Coolant as after finding it empty and topping it back up.... I noticed it's dropped down below the min level again.

Would give it to a Boardsie as it wouldn't be a massive job once you can hoist the car.

leaking coolant can be a sign of a water pump on the way out. That would be a big job involving changing the timing belt or a head gasket going which rovers have a history of. Can be a very big job if left too long. I would be going to a garage for a look to be sure it will be a small job. First stop in Knocknacarra have always been good to me for quick diagnosis and good estimates on work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Hi All,

Could someone please point me in the direction of a reputable BMW Mechanic with a fully equipped set-up.

Best Regards;

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fahys Garage in Oranmore
    John Roche in Gort
    Eddie Ronayne, BMWcare

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think Colm Quinn in Athlone is the nearest main BMW dealer for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

Motorpark on the Headford Road are BMW service agents still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Looking for a very simple welding job-
    we have a metal shower head that's snapped in two, want to get it welded together.
    I could try some kind of super glue but don't think it'd last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 uscias

Hi everyone, This is for Galway City.

I’ve a Vauxhall Astra Diesel. Was on motorway doin 120 when something went in engine, white smoke out back, lost power, managed to crawl home and park her up, when i slowed down to a crawl also noticed engine knocking. So pretty serious... suspect cracked cylinder head or something of that nature.

Can’t drive to garages to get it checked and get a quote which means a tow. If i get a tow i was quoted 70 euro one way then 50 euro to tell me what’s wrong with her, then obviously i have to leave it with them to fix or pay another 70 euro to tow her home. If i do leave it with them and it is something like the cylinder head then it’s an expensive job and cheapest option might be a second hand engine install.

My own mechanic is a good bit away and have been advised by him to find out what’s wrong with her first. As I don’t want to get stuck with her in a shop with a mechanic I don’t trust (don’t know any mechanics in galway!) i’m therefore looking for a good call-out mechanic to tell me what’s wrong with her before I bring her in. I’m east side of Galway City.

So any contacts, numbers, recommendations for call-out mechanic in Galway City?

Cheers

First check if you have roadside assistance on your insurance. That may cover the transport to a mechanic.
    To be honest you need a garage for that stuff but you can have a look at the engine particularly belts and hoses, and see if anything looks missing or broken.

www.wardsgarage.ie in Oranmore has callout, as well as www.calloutoil.ie (mainly servicing but could maybe help).

Previous mentions in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

So I've purchased a mirror which needs to be replaced and now it needs to be installed. :rolleyes:

Anyone recommend any competitive Garages that they know of for installing stuff? City or Oranmore (Sorry Mods, mentionned Oranmore here as didn't want to multi-Thread in County Forum.) area. Would like to get it done in the next couple of days if at all possible, :/ (even though I know there's loads of other cars besides mine but I'd like to get it done soon if I can at all.)

• Advertisement

What car is it?
    You already have a thread in Motors, so you can use either to answer..

The reason I'm asking is that wing mirrors sometimes are easy to install yourself with just a screwdriver.
    Secondly, any mechanic in town will be able to do it for you. Have a read of this thread and choose the mechanic closest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

So I've purchased a mirror which needs to be replaced and now it needs to be installed. :rolleyes:

Anyone recommend any competitive Garages that they know of for installing stuff? City or Oranmore (Sorry Mods, mentionned Oranmore here as didn't want to multi-Thread in County Forum.) area. Would like to get it done in the next couple of days if at all possible, :/ (even though I know there's loads of other cars besides mine but I'd like to get it done soon if I can at all.)

tried to send a pm but you're over your quota. try Brendan Dowling in Shantalla http://www.mechanicingalway.com/ very sound fella, very reasonable rates

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Any mechanic will be able to install the mirror, and plenty of non mechanics too as it's a relatively easy job. Should take no more than 10 minutes to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 karenshoe

Hey there,
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Dave Madden...he's a mechanic in Wooduay in Galway. I got a recommendation from a friend but got messed around the last time I got one so just wondering if anyone knows anything about him...It's just for a basic car service. Thanks.

I don't know him, but any mech can do a basic car service (engine oil, oil filter and air filter).
    Farrell's Garage on Brendans Ave are good, get a quote from them.

jkforde wrote: »
    tried to send a pm but you're over your quota. try Brendan Dowling in Shantalla http://www.mechanicingalway.com/ very sound fella, very reasonable rates
    About a year ago I lived not too far away from him and mailed/tried ringing, and even called to his workshop a few times.
    No responses and never anyone at shop.
    Is he even in business since these last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

biko wrote: »
    About a year ago I lived not too far away from him and mailed/tried ringing, and even called to his workshop a few times.
    No responses and never anyone at shop.
    Is he even in business since these last few years?

He is, but you won't catch him every day. He can be quite difficult to contact. You pretty much have to go by and get him while he's there.

He's around a bit more often in the last few months, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GeorgeT

Hi all,

I know probably this question has been asked before , but since i did not find any recent post I thought I'd give it a try.

I am in a search for a good/honest mechanic in Galway city.

My front left suspension spring has broken and the car is tilting to left.

Any input on this is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

GeorgeT wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know probably this question has been asked before , but since i did not find any recent post I thought I'd give it a try.

I am in a search for a good/honest mechanic in Galway city.

My front left suspension spring has broken and the car is tilting to left.

Any input on this is appreciated.

I use Ballybrit exhaust and tyre centre a few times for tyres and wheel alignment. Always been very honest and reasonable. Where about in the city are you roughly?

I recommend getting the springs on both sides done together. Also check it didn't damage the inside wall of the tyre.

Interslice wrote: »
    I use Ballybrit exhaust and tyre centre a few times for tyres and wheel alignment. Always been very honest and reasonable. Where about in the city are you roughly?

I recommend getting the springs on both sides done together. Also check it didn't damage the inside wall of the tyre.

I live near NUIG.

Anybody got an idea/estimation about the cost ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I leave near NUIG.

Anybody got an idea/estimation about the cost ?

U didnt tell us what kind of car u have ;)

U didnt tell us what kind of car u have ;)

It is a Renault laguna 2001 1.6:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Advance Pit stop ,Sasha Auto on tuam rd,

He asked for a good/honest place, and you've recommended the exact opposite?!

Most people on here wouldn't trust advance with a wheelbarrow. As for sasha : http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0207/312023-nct/

It is a Renault laguna 2001 1.6:D

Very easy job.Set of 2 for the front will be around 70-80euro labour 40-60

He asked for a good/honest place, and you've recommended the exact opposite?!

Most people on here wouldn't trust advance with a wheelbarrow. As for sasha : http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0207/312023-nct/

Thanks, i would not go to Sasha's/Advance anyway. Tried that.
    Did not know this details though. Interesting.

So let me rephrase the question.

Any mechanic besides Sashas/Advance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Does it have to be in the city ?

Mechanic i use is halfway between tuam and galway and is very good, if you want his number pm me

However as has been said it's a fairly small job really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mechanic i use is halfway between tuam and galway and is very good, if you want his number pm me

I'd be assuming its so he can walk off and actually do stuff in galway rather than being 'stranded' while waiting for the car.

Was thinking the same myself though, mechanic I've used a few times not far outside galway on the tuam road.

I guess not, i've got road assistance. I can ask them to go anywhere i want.

Half way, Claregalway ?

Thanks, i would not go to Sasha's/Advance anyway. Tried that.
    Did not know this details though. Interesting.

So let me rephrase the question.

Any mechanic besides Sashas/Advance ?

I use MOTOTOM in Oranmore.Small garage but very good mechanic.I can PM his nr

• Advertisement

I use MOTOTOM in Oranmore.Small garage but very good mechanic.I can PM his nr

I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement