Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unemployed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's always been the same for graduates though hasn't it?
    In my job I got in on a temp contract initially, that ended, I was out the door as they were not recruiting at the time, but then they were recruiting less than 6 months down the road and I was straight back in the door.

So I think my advice would be to take and apply for whatever you can and remember your skills are cross transferable and your degree may lead you to an area or job you may not have even thought about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm sure the post was well intentioned, but yeah I did think it was a bit harsh! No need to stigmatize those on the dole. There'll be more and more heading there in the coming years..!
    My father's in his fifties and he got laid off a year and a half ago after 30 years in a job and he still can't find work. After almost a year he had no choice but to go on the dole. He's a proud man, always paid his taxes, always the breadwinner, never been out of work before and to see him having to go sign on was heartbreaking. It nearly killed him- he always had the attitude that the only people on the dole were those that chose not to work or couldn't be bothered looking for a job. He's had to eat humble pie since. He's still mortified going into the welfare office and always sounds surprised to see respectable people collecting welfare. "A fella in a suit, really!" The recession continues and he's not getting any younger so it's not looking that great for him and for many other older people still 10-15 years off retirement but 'too old' to be considered for a lot of jobs or go back to education etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Caderyn wrote: »
    My father's in his fifties and he got laid off a year and a half ago after 30 years in a job and he still can't find work. After almost a year he had no choice but to go on the dole. He's a proud man, always paid his taxes, always the breadwinner, never been out of work before and to see him having to go sign on was heartbreaking. It nearly killed him- he always had the attitude that the only people on the dole were those that chose not to work or couldn't be bothered looking for a job. He's had to eat humble pie since. He's still mortified going into the welfare office and always sounds surprised to see respectable people collecting welfare. "A fella in a suit, really!" The recession continues and he's not getting any younger so it's not looking that great for him and for many other older people still 10-15 years off retirement but 'too old' to be considered for a lot of jobs or go back to education etc. :(
    I hear ya... That's why I'm worried about my on oul lad! I don't know who would hire a man of 58 with so many younger people (not only those who have just graduated) also looking for work

BTW those in the suits must be going straight to court afterwards or somethin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dave! wrote: »
    BTW those in the suits must be going straight to court afterwards or somethin :pac:

easy knowing you're from Tallaght :P

But on a helpful note, yes it's very difficult for people not far from retirement but still needing to work. And to use a generalization they probably like their independance and don't want to be taking orders from some 24yo manager.

Taxi driving used to be an option, maybe not anymore.
    Security or a porter? Responsible job, poor pay
    Just throwing the ideas out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Caderyn, my aul lad has just found himself in a similar situation. I feel so bad for him, like your Dad he's a proud man and has worked so hard for many years. It's only when your faced with something like that that the recession becomes real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I was a phone monkey (credit control) until June when I left the company I was working for due to ... "ethical differences". Poxy recruiters said there were loads of jobs but do you think I could find one?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If you can stomach it, most telesales companies are looking for sales agents. It's not the best, but it's cash at the end of the day. Give it a month or two, till you have something else, then go. No notice, as you'll be paid crap, and bullied to bits. (speaking from experience with 3 different companies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lankydanke

I had a job in a shop since graduation, went to do further study then *bang* the banks weren't inerested when the credit dried up. I guess it was foolish of me but now i can't get a job no matter how or to whom i apply. Had a few interviews but in some cases they won't even answer the phone when you call up to follow on from an application. One crowd i was interviewed by left me waiting to hear back for weeks so i called them but no response at all.

Presently trying to get back in to the shop where i worked if the hours are there :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm unemployed! Dropped out of college in may and was straight into a full time job as a receptionist in a spa. Was let go from this because of the downturn in business and haven't been able to get anything since. It's crap cos I don't have enough experience. I'm praying for someone to hire me just so I can afford to go back to college in september...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Soon to be let go. Have work til christmas after that I have nothing. There is little chance of getting anything have sent off about 100 cv's, have only got 2 pfo's. The rest haven't even responded. Am getting married in feb so I am screwed.

• Advertisement

Any one else notice that recruitment agents have become steadily more useless in the past 8 months? I'm not suggesting that these parasites were in anyway competent or useful before hand but since they are basically salesmen offering a couple of easy legal indemnities to employers we're stuck with them.

I used to get at least three calls a day, now I'm lucky to hear from them once a month. Ok ok, so the job market has dried up, fine. However, when an agent calls you and says "I'll put you forward for X job!!" you expect to actually hear back from the useless mofo at some point.

... And for that matter what the hell is up with "human resources" anyway? I've never actually worked out what the hell these people actually do all day (other than make threats and run "induction meetings") but there can't be so much work for them to do if everyone is getting let go. Surely with all that free time they could get around to emailing you with a a short note to say "Sorry, but we've decided to tell you to get stuffed!".

Then theres the sodding social welfare. "Have you paid 26 A payments each year for the past 3 years? ... no ... you have 25A payments two years ago ... I'm afraid you'll have to apply for job seekers ... yes its the same money, just jump through a few hoops for us like a good little burden on the state" - 17 weeks later (and no, I'm not exaggerating) "Ok, can you come and have a meeting with us to justify how you have managed to survive while we have been dragging our feet processing your claim? Have you been living on air? Why can't you continue borrowing from everyone you know? too good to beg are you?" - honestly, you would think that civil serpents come up with this stuff in a room somewhere entirely divorced for the system they administrate ... oh wait!

Everyday the statistics of people signing on are going up, more and more people are finding out that they no longer have a future. Yet Brian Lenihan and Mary Harney are still built like fecking Scania's!! Much more of this and we'll have little choice but to harpoon the pair of them to make affordable clothing for the bare-footed amongst us.

/rant over.

Apologies to all recruitment agents and human resources people - can I have a job now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

... And for that matter what the hell is up with "human resources" anyway? I've never actually worked out what the hell these people actually do all day (other than make threats and run "induction meetings") but there can't be so much work for them to do if everyone is getting let go. Surely with all that free time they could get around to emailing you with a a short note to say "Sorry, but we've decided to tell you to get stuffed!".

Your talking complete sh!te here... In the case of applying for said job, many companies will tell you (before applying or with an automated mail) IF your application is successful you will be contacted. Use some common cop on here will ya? There are very little jobs that have a serious amount of applicants, reading through the amount of CVs and cover letters they get is a job in it's own.

I agree with the recruiting agencies alright. They need to be regulated.

As for the "people" in the social welfare offices. What a shower of horrible people. It's tough enough to get on social welfare, but to put up with the amount of crap they give you is unreal. I hate them... with a vengence.

OP you are very biased... your answers are not exactly fair. There are also the people who want to work but every job they apply for there is someone better to fill the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

23 ful-timers were let go along with countless contractors in my company in IT(American MNC) in Dublin. They are looking for more redundancies, i might be ok, just don't know.

Your talking complete sh!te here... In the case of applying for said job, many companies will tell you (before applying or with an automated mail) IF your application is successful you will be contacted. Use some common cop on here will ya? There are very little jobs that have a serious amount of applicants, reading through the amount of CVs and cover letters they get is a job in it's own.

Sorry, I meant with regard to the "post interview" period. if you have made the effort (and out of pocket expenditure) to travel to them the least they could do is email you a PFO for the social.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jokjetset

I was made redundant on Tuesday. Only with the company 15 months, hence no redundancy payout or anything.

My background is manufacturing (which has been dying a slow death since 2001. The Government in its infinite wisdom decided to put
    all its eggs in the Construction basket, clever or what).

I hold a Degree and Masters in Engineering and have 15 years experience but there is very little out there for me. Once you start pushing 40 companies don't really want to know.

Looks like its going to be a pretty bleak Christmas and I would not be too confident about 2009.

Welcome to Brian Cowens new Ireland !!!!

Sorry, I meant with regard to the "post interview" period. if you have made the effort (and out of pocket expenditure) to travel to them the least they could do is email you a PFO for the social.

If your not contacted after you attend an interview, then that is bad form... They should say something to ya. Not fair really.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Made redundant 2 weeks ago. Was in materials & logistics in electronics manufacturing for 8 years. I was lucky my former employers gave us a really good deal on redundancy. Picked up my first social payment yesterday - it's just as well i got a good package, no way the mortgage would be paid - still it is better than another kick in the tail end. There are jobs out there but realistically i've resigned myself to waiting the few weeks till the new year when employers will be actually taking on staff. Hasn't stopped me applying for nigh on 12 jobs this week, just means instead of my three quarter hour commute i'll be looking at around 2 hours (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not sure what boat I'm in....Graduated in August, couldn't find a position. Started eSports.ie which hopefully will make me millions in the future but not just yet ;). Got a temp XMas job in Zavvi (full time) so trying to balance the website with that. There may be a full time position in January but details are very scarce. Have only had a couple of interviews and "while there was nothing wrong with my interviews", other people had more experience // came across stronger.

So, in the wise words of the Magic 8 ball, the future is uncertain...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

office admin here - let go 'cause my employers can't do math or check their bank account. (ie: couldn't afford to pay me anymore)

number of jobs in the paper is very small - I'm hoping that's just because it's december and so there's not much point in hiring someone before Christmas?

That said, I've had rotten luck with jobs. Over the past 14 months, have been employed for 9 in 3 seperate jobs: first one lasted 2 months, left because of "ethical differences" already so beautifully described by a previous poster, second one I really enjoyed but it was minimum wage and there was nothing in the town for my husband so we left after 5 months to move to Galway. Latest one lasted 2 months, but joke's on them because although I was new, I was the only one at that place doing a full day's work!

Anyway, I've got plenty of experience applying for jobs. Not so much experience hearing word back. I'd have thought it'd be just common courtesy, but I guess I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Interesting reading through this thread... shows how bad things are and how people's circle of family/friends are also being hit.

I'm lucky enough to be a student and will be for the next 2/3 years.

I'm a firm believer that a recession is a good thing though, no matter how low we all sink.

It makes people work harder, appreciate what they have more and fight to keep what they have.

It also acts as a great motivator... threads like these motivate me on a personal level... i start thinking - "s**t, things are really getting bad, i don't want this happening to me or my family, how can i avoid this"?

Things like that spur me on to do better at college, to open my eyes more to opportunities etc...

It's a sink or swim situation for people coming out of college and looking for jobs. Running away to the promised land ain't gonna help in the long term either - things are just as bad and will only get worse.

One things for sure though - if you're the best at what you do, you'll always be in demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

nah economic hardship sucks completely imo. Less opportunities, less options. Life should be about living it up, not merely surviving.

smemon wrote: »
    One things for sure though - if you're the best at what you do, you'll always be in demand.

Said like someone who's never actually been in the real job market, lol.

Xiney wrote: »

True... People in jobs are like "OMG it's easy to get a job, bums..." Being the best means nothing.... really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

True... People in jobs are like "OMG it's easy to get a job, bums..." Being the best means nothing.... really.

Well, when it boils down to who stays or goes, you're not going to get rid of your best staff ;)

No matter what the rules or regulations, you'll find companies on the verge of collapse have the workhorses on board, not the slackers that they could once afford to keep.

It's not easy to get a job and you're bloody lucky to have a reasonably secure future in a job you like.

But it's survival of the fittest out there now and competition for jobs is fierce with highly skilled people now looking for work too... that's why i say you have to be up there with the best to have a chance of getting a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

you have been umemployed for the last 5 years ... and you call that a bad run
    ?????? blows the mind that does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Well, when it boils down to who stays or goes, you're not going to get rid of your best staff ;)

No matter what the rules or regulations, you'll find companies on the verge of collapse have the workhorses on board, not the slackers that they could once afford to keep.

It's not easy to get a job and you're bloody lucky to have a reasonably secure future in a job you like.

But it's survival of the fittest out there now and competition for jobs is fierce with highly skilled people now looking for work too... that's why i say you have to be up there with the best to have a chance of getting a job.

Wish this was the case but the fact remains pull is still the number one factor in getting a job. The first people they let go are the non-permanent staff no matter how god or bad they are. So anyone contracting or temporary is in grave danger. Doesn't matter how good you are if you are not permanent your job is jeopardy at anytime. Since the economy is in the toilet that goes for a lot of people now!! Including me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was working as a storeman for a factory that produced products for the construction industry,was told in july I was going to be let go temporarily until the middle of september or there abouts.Middle of september comes I get a letter home saying to ring them to organise a meeting.Went down there the following monday and was told they had no job for me.I'll be honest I hated working for the company(general manager and my manager were twats) the job itself was'nt to bad,delievering goods to the factory and unloading delieveries.It was a kick in the balls though when they told me they had no job for me,I miss the money.Since then I have'nt been able to get in the same line of work it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

smemon wrote:
    Unfortunately it's more likely the other way, when staff are being laid off - those who are good at their job - can and will move - as they will find work elsewhere, while those are not so good - tend to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

Xiney wrote: »

+1

Luckily for me I have no debt or bills so I can use unemployment as an opportunity to go back to education and Im not coming out of it until things improve.

• Advertisement

Reality is they're probably going to get rid of the last hired.

It would make SENSE to lose the dead weight, but in reality? Doesn't happen. Wish it did though, 'cause I'd still be employed.

Advertisement