Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unemployed?

Options
  • 29-11-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

hi im just curious how many people out there are unemployed?
    me and my girlfriend have been let go from our jobs 2 months ago and are on social welfare.im a carpenter and she is office admin but cant find any work anywhere doin anything.

are you umemployed and why?

reason for been out of work? 76 votes

let go/made redundent
    0% 0 votes
    sacked
    75% 57 votes
    lazy/choose not to work
    6% 5 votes
    student
    18% 14 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Finished college in may, went to san diego for the summer, came back to "the recession" been looking for work since

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Student on scholarship with part-time work. So not unemployed, but rather underemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

im a chippy meself and i have no wrok to look forward to:mad:.my misus is in office admin too but she is ok,but we are both headin to perth in jan/feb for a better life for a few years and hopefully come back ina few years when things get a bit better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

Was let go from my job end of August. I am an architectural technician. Impossible to find anything else and I have been looking everyday, money running out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

In a low paying job myself but love the work i do thanks be ta god. In my circle of friends i know of 3 people who have been let go in the last 3-4 weeks and 1 more who are very worried about their future. Also my best friends girlfriend has just completed college with a degree (medical) and is considering moving to America or Australia as she cant not find work here. Things are'nt looking good for the new year and i fear things are about to get a lot worse.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

let go/made redundent sacked
    lazy/choose not to work
    student

I've neither of those options I'm just unemployed and have been for around 5 and a half years I have had some jobs from around 2 weeks to 2 months but I've just had a really bad run on the jobs front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Need a "couldn't find a job" option. I moved here to work in IT but I couldn't find a job, too little experience (by which I mean practically no experience) so now I'm self employed making commercial software to sell on the Internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

let go/made redundent sacked
    lazy/choose not to work
    student

I've neither of those options I'm just unemployed and have been for around 5 and a half years I have had some jobs from around 2 weeks to 2 months but I've just had a really bad run on the jobs front
    Pleasev tell me its due to some kind of illness or something,the reason why you havnt worked in 5yrs.....and not that you COULDNT get a job:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Joey_Joe_Joe

Just graduated with MSc in Finance, no experience and can't find any work.

Just graduated with MSc in Finance, no experience and can't find any work.
    Interesting, so it's not just me then..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Graduated with a 2.1 science degree, little experience and can't get a job with little chance of one either I reckon. Fun.

Edit: I do actually have a job so I can't complain that much but it's only part time in a shop and not what I had in mind!

Damn, we should make a club of people who just got out of school and can't find a bloody job for the very thing they've been trained for. I mean that's pretty messed up. I understand why I was turned down for jobs because I actually lacked some experience on things, i.e. I wouldn't have known how to deal with some things, but it's gotta be the same for anyone who just got out of my school, so how are we supposed to get that experience that is oh so necessary to even work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Go to DCU?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose but I wasn't going to spend my Summer holidays stuck in a lab when I was 20 and the rest of my mates were off enjoying life. Quite possibly paying for it now but I still don't think I would have changed it tbh.

tribulus wrote: »
    Go to DCU?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose but I wasn't going to spend my Summer holidays stuck in a lab when I was 20 and the rest of my mates were off enjoying life. Quite possible paying for it now but I still don't think I would have changed it tbh.

Funny you should say that cause that's exactly what I tried to do, back in June, which unfortunately was way too late for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I was made redundant in June. I'm also now a mature student on a gap year from 3rd year of college and have 3 part-time jobs at the moment! I drive a van part-time, fix motorbikes occasionally and make radio documentaries on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Graduate last may, architectural technology, had a job offer to be last year which they couldnt commit to due to lack of work. Been searching since june, on and of, looking at going abroad in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Student too, been looking for a job for ages, that includes temping... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

thetyreman wrote: »
    Pleasev tell me its due to some kind of illness or something,the reason why you havnt worked in 5yrs.....and not that you COULDNT get a job:confused:

I was in the hospital for a few weeks back in 05 and the Doctors had me on the certs for a year but I did a course for that year that FAS paid for, Out of the last 5 and a half years I've work 7/8 jobs in different places and environments that adds up barely a year of employment, I've had a tempory 3 month Xmas job, 2 weeks cover for someone on medical leave another 2 week job during a festival, some tiling for awhile but I wasn't experienced enough for it and was let go, taken on some jobs that I never done before and barely lasted at them, Had a FAS cE job for half an hour before they found out I wasn't old enough for it, did a few months in one job but fell sick and left that and ended up in hospital. I've have done FAS courses but they led to nowhere regularly having talks with employment services around with no joy, applied for more jobs that I care to remember changed my CV so many times to try and bluff my way into a job

So 3 years out of 5 and half years I've worked or been sick

I'm Unemployable and we have a recession I'm screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

add me to the graduated student who can't find work... at this stage i think i'd prefer to be abroad waiting tables than sitting around here doing nothing!

Damn! Well, reminds me that I also had a tough job finding a lowly job. Then I realised a bit late that mentioning bi-directional reflectance distribution functions on a CV when you apply for cashier at McDonald's is probably not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I was in the hospital for a few weeks back in 05 and the Doctors had me on the certs for a year but I did a course for that year that FAS paid for, Out of the last 5 and a half years I've work 7/8 jobs in different places and environments that adds up barely a year of employment, I've had a tempory 3 month Xmas job, 2 weeks cover for someone on medical leave another 2 week job during a festival, some tiling for awhile but I wasn't experienced enough for it and was let go, taken on some jobs that I never done before and barely lasted at them, Had a FAS cE job for half an hour before they found out I wasn't old enough for it, did a few months in one job but fell sick and left that and ended up in hospital. I've have done FAS courses but they led to nowhere regularly having talks with employment services around with no joy, applied for more jobs that I care to remember changed my CV so many times to try and bluff my way into a job

So 3 years out of 5 and half years I've worked or been sick

I'm Unemployable and we have a recession I'm screwed

Keep the chin up man. Something will come along for you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jeebus, this really is scary reading.

I don't think I really appreciated just how bad things are out there. Makes me appreciate my job even more now.

Hopefully things will turn around soon, I do feel for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Love my job and there nearly 3 years

15% of the office are being made redundant on December 3rd so been hanging in suspense for the last few weeks. Nobody knows who is being picked. On that day, you get a phonecall at your desk and you grab your jacket and you walk. :(

One good point is they a fantastically generous redunancy plan
    I wish they'd make an announcement and be done with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Been in my job 3 and half years, and we know work will start to run out in the next 4-5 months. So who goes first is the next question.
    To the graduates who can't get a job because they've no experience.....it's a chicken and egg situation. When I graduated there were loads of jobs, but we still heard that experience thing too. They won't take you without experience, but you can't get experience without a job. Graduate programmes are the next step, though I don't know ow many of them are available now. Otherwise just keep applying for abslutely everything. Something has to hit a target sooner or later.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I graduated in 2006 and decided to do the travelling thing for a couple of years. Can't get a job now.Well a good job. Working part time in a shop at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm a final year student at the moment. Will be moving to Oz for a year or two if/when I graduate, then maybe the US/Canada for a year. Hopefully I will miss all the fun times at home :o Will have a BA Comp Sci degree... No interest in working in that field though. I had planned on joining the Fire Services or the Gardaí. The Gardaí have reduced the numbers they're taking on, and the FS only recruit every 3 years or so... plus they'll probably take on less people next time also :(

Things getting a bit hairy lately though aren't they? My brother's place (IT consultancy) is having some redundancies... my sister's contract isn't being renewed... my other brother works in the HSE, which will be having some redundancies too.

I'm mainly worried about my dad tbh. Dunno what will happen if he's let go. In the short-term it should be okay (the house is just about paid off), but in terms of retirement, pension, etc., things are a bit scary.

Now's the time for creativity I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stormymay

hey, just read through this post.

I have to say, fair play to those of ye who got let go and still have part time/free lance work.

It's good to hear some people are actually out there looking for work, rather than just taking the easy way out and going on the Dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you make enough contributions you're entitled to the dole! Even if you didn't you may still be entitled. Easy way out?
    Maybe I'm misreading your post but it's sure coming across as harsh to me

All I can say is I don't have a skill I can work freelance and I don't have a part-time job but if I lose my full-time job, hell yeah I'll be queing to sign on the very same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm sure the post was well intentioned, but yeah I did think it was a bit harsh! No need to stigmatize those on the dole. There'll be more and more heading there in the coming years..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

why do people think going to america will result in a job? by america i mean usa. i mean my brother just returned after 1 month in the usa, had planned on getting a job there but nothing.

maby australia or canada but the usa i dont think so. most western countries are suffering, spain, germany, britian and many others

ITS A GLOBAL CREDIT CRUNCH/RECESSION

Advertisement