Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If the "Rules Of The Road" were updated...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Using your hazards doesn't mean you can stop on double yellow lines, or obstruct traffic

Unless you are driving a taxi of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Unless you are driving a taxi of course.

ok we get it, you like to nick pick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can tap your breaks(break lights come one) with actually breaking at all

not always, especially if your brake are worn a little. i can stop my car before the pressing the pedal hard enough for the lights to come on. Pedal travels about 1/2 inch before lights come on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd up the maximum spped limits on most major interurban roads and bringin a minimum limit too.

ie -120kph -> 140kph with a minimum of 100, except trucks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It always confuses the yanks in their own country. They have four way stop sign junctions. The law states those who reach it first get the right of way but if two reach it at the same time the person on the right gets right of way. However, if both arrive at 6 and 12 then who gets to go. There is no provision in their ROTR for that. Stupid Yanks :D
    If they are both going straight then they both just go.
    If they are both turning left then they both go and turn behind each other.
    If they are both turning right then they both just go.
    If one is going straight and the other is turning then thats the same priority as you would have at a junction with lights (and no arrow)

Right?

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'd get them to clarify the confusion about overtaking on the left on motorways by defining exactly what circumstances it is permitted. The term "Slow moving queues" is way too vague, everyone has a different interpretation.

Agreed. But Im not sure how it can be done.
    Do they set a max speed you can undertake at?
    A max speed the car you are undertaking can be going at?
    Or (my preference) just make undertaking legal altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Can anyone help me with this....

If you see a car with 4 headlights, does that mean it was 2 headlights and its fog lights on?
    Or do some cars have 4 headlights?

Do you think its ok to switch on your back fog lights if the person behind you has their front fog lights on?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

This is a strange thread: most of the suggestions are already in the ROTR; also many of the people criticising others' driving are using impatient and agressive language in their suggestions, which says to me that they have the wrong attitude to driving.

As a general rule of thumb I would suggest re-reading the ROTR or Roadcraft every time you change cars.

I hadn't heard that idea of tapping your breaks when being tailgated before - it sounds dodgy to me as someone could easily touch the brake too heavily and risk being rear-ended. It also seems unlikely that a person who is tailgating would heed a warning, as tailgating is often an intimidatory tactic used by impatient drivers.

If you read Roadcraft it suggests that if you're being tailgated, allow a bigger gap to open between you and the car in front, so if the car in front brakes suddenly you can stop more gradually to prevent being rear-ended by the tailgater.

Also, there is far too much impatience at roundabouts. The delay is seldom more than a few moments and is nothing compared to the risk of an accident from an unduly hasty manoeuvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Slow moving vehicles should pull in when safe to do so, if a queue of more than 3 vehicles builds up behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Can anyone help me with this....

If you see a car with 4 headlights, does that mean it was 2 headlights and its fog lights on?
    Or do some cars have 4 headlights?

Do you think its ok to switch on your back fog lights if the person behind you has their front fog lights on?

As far as i know it is against the ROTR to have your fog lights on if there is no fog. I think, with some of the newer fancy cars, people just turn them on because it, supposedly, looks cool!
    Personally i think it can be quite blinding when traveling towards them, never really notice when traveling behind someone with them on.
    To answer your question, No, unless its foggy out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Cars waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic so as they can make a right turn should have their tyres touching the white line in the centre of the road.

What about the car in front of you?
    Ive never seen a car where you can turn on the back fogs but not the front.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GreeBo wrote: »
    What about the car in front of you?
    Ive never seen a car where you can turn on the back fogs but not the front.

I've never seen a car where they're connected. Also remember that a huge number of cars ONLY HAVE a back foglight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Yeah, foglights.....bloody pain in the arse. Some cars fogs are not too blinding but some really are, so I wish the Gardai would enforce this more.

I play this game when driving, I simply count how many oncoming cars have their fogs on. It is usually 1 in 3 cars. Sad, but it passes the time. :)
    I would also ban Micras from having fogs. As nearly every Micra I see has them on, and they can't possibly make them look cooler, so that "excuse" hold even less water than normal.

Noopti wrote: »
    I would also ban Micras from having fogs.
    Fixed it for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

MYOB wrote: »
    I've never seen a car where they're connected. Also remember that a huge number of cars ONLY HAVE a back foglight.

Any car I've driven with front and back fog lights work like this you can turn on the fronts on their own but if you want the backs on then you have to have the fronts on.

Some front fogs I really don’t have a problem with, does not mean they should be on, they are mounted low and don’t dazzle. But there is nothing worse than a SUV with fogs on and miss-aligned headlights.

Years ago on the motorways in the UK I have seen patrol cars with LED writers in the back window, normally with a “Turn off your fog lights!” message displayed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

GreeBo wrote: »
    Fixed it for ya :)

lol.....cheers. Can't believe I made that typo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kayos wrote: »
    Any car I've driven with front and back fog lights work like this you can turn on the fronts on their own but if you want the backs on then you have to have the fronts on.

I drive mostly Italian cars, and all of them have indepedent rear fogs (if front are fitted at all).

Advertisement