Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If the "Rules Of The Road" were updated...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Dyflin wrote: »
    -2 penalty points for hitting a cyclist who has broken a red light.

Lol, good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Those who stop unnecessarily when entering a roundabout are more annoying than the 'probably make it' brigade!

+1
    They also cause unessesary traffic buildups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

One thing that annoys me is people who decide to indicate when they have already made the turn or have just turned off.

Everything else has already been mentioned...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

How come those cars entering a roundabout from the busiest road get the priority I thought the idea of a roundabout was a fair shake for all. Sometimes you get caught in a constant stream & you just can't barge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    How come those cars entering a roundabout from the busiest road get the priority I thought the idea of a roundabout was a fair shake for all. Sometimes you get caught in a constant stream & you just can't barge on.

A roundabout is clockwise and the ROTR are that at an equal junction those on your right will always have the right of way.

More importantly those who are on the roundabout have the right of way.

Little off topic:
    It always confuses the yanks in their own country. They have four way stop sign junctions. The law states those who reach it first get the right of way but if two reach it at the same time the person on the right gets right of way. However, if both arrive at 6 and 12 then who gets to go. There is no provision in their ROTR for that. Stupid Yanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

It's more that roundabouts keep traffic flowing. And so they do - they keep the majority of traffic going. The traffic on the bigger road(s), that is.

One thing that annoys me is people who decide to indicate when they have already made the turn or have just turned off.

Everything else has already been mentioned...

Had something happen earlier with damn taxi driver. He came around the roundabout in the scenic view lane. He was taking the 3rd exit but went around the roundabout in the outer orbital lane(outside) which pained me because I was waiting to enter the roundabout from the 2nd exit. He indicated before the 2nd exit as though he wanted to take this exit so I moved out and he did not take the exit and nearly side swiped me.

NOW, legally he had the right of way, however he indicated to me that he was exiting but did not and traversed the roundabout in the wrong lane with his 9th belly steering the wheel.

I take pride in knowing he is earning around €50 a day. LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

stek wrote: »
    +1
    They also cause unessesary traffic buildups.

+2.

There should be nationwide adverts reminding people that you must stay in the LEFT lane unless you're overtaking(because people on the 3 lane N7 *never* do this), and a nationwide correct roundabout usage campaign would be nice too, because I think some people actually don't know how to use them(as opposed to couldn't be arsed doing it properly).

E92 wrote: »
    +2.

There should be nationwide adverts reminding people that you must stay in the LEFT lane unless you're overtaking(because people on the 3 lane N7 *never* do this), and a nationwide correct roundabout usage campaign would be nice too, because I think some people actually don't know how to use them(as opposed to couldn't be arsed doing it properly).

I was on the N/M7 today and my GF had to tell me to shut up because I kept saying "watch that fvcker, watch him/her" I gave up and undertook, I just dont care anymore when it comes to that road. The entire left lane I was in was empty. It was at least 2kms behind me emtpy of cars yet the middle lane was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

t always confuses the yanks in their own country. They have four way stop sign junctions. The law states those who reach it first get the right of way but if two reach it at the same time the person on the right gets right of way. However, if both arrive at 6 and 12 then who gets to go. There is no provision in their ROTR for that. Stupid Yanks :D
    It depends on the turn that they wish to make.

Supposing I am the driver arriving at 6 O'Clock and you are arriving at 12 O'Clock. (Bear in mind that it is the US). I wish to turn right and you also wish to turn left ( i.e my right). I would have right of way as I am not crossing the road but you are.

Now if I intend to turn left and you intend to turn right (i.e. my left) you would have priority as I would have to cross the road to get into the right lane, whereas it is on your side.
    NOW, legally he had the right of way, however he indicated to me that he was exiting but did not and traversed the roundabout in the wrong lane
    Although it's annoying, you would be 'in the wrong'. His indicator merely gives an intention, not a right of way. You should never begin a manoeuvre on the strength of an indicator light from another vehicle as you do not know if the indicator was activated by accident or left on by mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Another new rule.

Do no park at a petrol pump unless you intend to use it. Once you have finished filling up and have paid, move out of the pump space promptly.

This silly b1tch the other day sat at the pump after filling up and paying the attendant, on the phone while 2 cars were waiting to take her place. I actually thought she was waiting for someone to come out of the shop, and it was only when I pulled up to a different pump did I realise she was on the phone. I had sat behind her for 3-4 minutes waiting, had pulled up to a different pump, filled up and paid and she was still on the phone with a queue of cars behind her. There was even a car facing her waiting to take her spot and she didn't budge. Ahhhhhh!

Although it's annoying, you would be 'in the wrong'. His indicator merely gives an intention, not a right of way. You should never begin a manoeuvre on the strength of an indicator light from another vehicle as you do not know if the indicator was activated by accident or left on by mistake.

Agree its only an indication of intention. Its still annoying and as annoying as the ones who dont indicate at all when you think they are going past you so you wait and then they turn off just before you.

Tired. Need Sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd get them to clarify the confusion about overtaking on the left on motorways by defining exactly what circumstances it is permitted. The term "Slow moving queues" is way too vague, everyone has a different interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A minimum distance for indicating, 10m maybe. Nothing more annoying than some idiot putting on an indicate as they go around a corner.

Compulsory to stop before entering a roundabout, stop the "ah sure I'll probably make it" brigade.

The amount of people who do this already is staggering, I'd rip all their licences up if I had the power.

If there's nothing on coming keep the fvck on moving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Couldn't agree more. Every near miss I have had is because of people not knowing what to do at roundabouts. My issue is "Using the proper lanes at roundabouts".

I always see people staying in the left lane as long as they feel like and earlier today I had a van (the international pricks of the road) go onto a roundabout at the same time as me (me in the left lane, him in the right) and then he forced his way in front of me to get off at the first exit.

You don't live in a city im guessing.

I think a big problem for some people is roundabouts with more than four exits. Firstly most roundabouts show arrows on the ground to tell you which lane but usually there right up by the roundabout so if its busy and you're not sure about which lane to get in, then you're ****ed. Also some roundabouts have them triangles painted on the ground when they should probably just paint the ****ing arrows so its easy for everyone to understand which lane they should be in

Generally here is nothing wrong with our existing Rules of the Road. The problem is with obeying them and enforcing them!

The vehicle turning right (or left if it was here) must yield to pedestrians/pedestrian lights.

That's already in there! It is illegal to drive a vehicle on a public road with one operating headlight.

A couple of the things i posted are in the ROTR, i just want them highlighted a bit more :D

I was on the N/M7 today and my GF had to tell me to shut up because I kept saying "watch that fvcker, watch him/her" I gave up and undertook, I just dont care anymore when it comes to that road. The entire left lane I was in was empty. It was at least 2kms behind me emtpy of cars yet the middle lane was full.

I nearly always use the middle lane, but end up overtaking someone and not being able to get back in lane at Newlands Cross.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you are driving and the person ahead of you keeps tapping their break. They are trying to tell you something.
    That they're a complete plonker, and are trying to cause a crash? Overtaking is sometimes not an option (continuous line, etc).

I'd actually put in: "If you're driving at 30kmph, in a 100kmph zone with a continuous white line, and a car comes up behind you, go left a little, to allow them to pass you out".

It seems people driving tractors or big trucks all know this, but the plonkers in their small cars don't:mad:

the_syco wrote: »
    That they're a complete plonker, and are trying to cause a crash? Overtaking is sometimes not an option (continuous line, etc).

I'd actually put in: "If you're driving at 30kmph, in a 100kmph zone with a continuous white line, and a car comes up behind you, go left a little, to allow them to pass you out".

It seems people driving tractors or big trucks all know this, but the plonkers in their small cars don't:mad:

I understand where you're coming from, but in some cases people people aren't interested in overtaking and some need a quick flash of the break/back fog lights to realise how close they're driving behind you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

One thing that really really bugs me is travelling behind a tractor or some other slow moving vehicle. i went from batterstown to trim (12miles)behind a tractor. I was 5th in the line and the four flutes in front of me wouldnt overtake him even though the road ahead was clear. If i overtook them and the tractor then i would be beeped off the road and possibly reported for dangerous driving.
    btw the tractor had loads of spots where he could of pulled in and the traffic go by but due to him being (A) a thick stupid farmer and (b) from meath he wouldnt!!!:mad:

No wonder there is so much Fu***g road rage in this country. idiots all bloody idiots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I understand where you're coming from, but in some cases people people aren't interested in overtaking and some need a quick flash of the break/back fog lights to realise how close they're driving behind you
    Slow down then. If they're right up your ass, tapping on the breaks too hard, at the wrong moment, they crash into you. Sure, you'll be in the "right", as they were to close, but if you get a sore neck from it... you have only yourself to blame.

Oh, and you have to come up close to the driver in front to overtake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

-2 penalty points for hitting a cyclist who has broken a red light.

LMAO :D

Slow down then. If they're right up your ass, tapping on the breaks too hard, at the wrong moment, they crash into you.

You can tell your story to Hibernian Insurance because it is their advanced driving school instructos from the UK who tell Irish people to "feather" their brakes if a car is tailgating.

I know this because they told me personally to do it and I certainly do it. They WILL back off. If they run into the back of you then they are following too close to avoid the crash which is their own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Abolish speeding fines.

...and give one penalty point for each kph over the limit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can tell your story to Hibernian Insurance because it is their advanced driving school instructos from the UK who tell Irish people to "feather" their brakes if a car is tailgating.

I know this because they told me personally to do it and I certainly do it. They WILL back off. If they run into the back of you then they are following too close to avoid the crash which is their own fault.

Its against the ROTR and it IS dangerous driving - slowing down is the correct way to deal with this, brake-testing runs the risk of causing an accident (which you won't be "at fault" for). Causing an accident even if you "didn't" cause it is dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

When someones headlights are on, the rule "slow down, or stop in nessessary" is pointless and dangerous! Just do what everyone does and give a little flash of your heads, end of problem!

Motorcycles should be allowed to use bus lanes.

Cyclists should be fined for not using cycle lanes when available. Nothing worse when on a bus and the bus is reduced to the 5kph speed of a cyclist that couldn't be bothered to use the cycle lane on the path.

pipsqueak wrote: »
    One thing that really really bugs me is travelling behind a tractor or some other slow moving vehicle. i went from batterstown to trim (12miles)behind a tractor. I was 5th in the line and the four flutes in front of me wouldnt overtake him even though the road ahead was clear. If i overtook them and the tractor then i would be beeped off the road and possibly reported for dangerous driving.
    btw the tractor had loads of spots where he could of pulled in and the traffic go by but due to him being (A) a thick stupid farmer and (b) from meath he wouldnt!!!:mad:

No wonder there is so much Fu***g road rage in this country. idiots all bloody idiots!!!

werd

if you're driving behind someone and someone is behind you, and you don't intend to overtake, then fall back a bit and give the person behind you to overtake you and overtake the person in front

Slow down then. If they're right up your ass, tapping on the breaks too hard, at the wrong moment, they crash into you. Sure, you'll be in the "right", as they were to close, but if you get a sore neck from it... you have only yourself to blame.

Oh, and you have to come up close to the driver in front to overtake them.

you can tap your breaks(break lights come one) with actually breaking at all

• Advertisement

Using your hazards doesn't mean you can stop on double yellow lines, or obstruct traffic

Advertisement