Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If the "Rules Of The Road" were updated...

Options
  • 28-11-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

...and you could add anything to it, what would you add?

If you can the see the taillights of the car in front of you, then he can see your full headlights, so turn them off.

If you see a cars lights ahead, don't wait until you've turned the corner before dimming your full headlights.

If you are driving behind someone and don't plan on overtaking them, if possible lower your headlights to the ground slightly or else back off a bit.

We don't care if you're just picking someone up or just running into the shop, don't park on the road and cause trouble for other drivers.

If you are driving on a big road with a big hard shoulder and someone is driving up your arse, it would be easiest for everyone if you just stayed a little to the left. Just don't sit in the middle of the road.

Fog lights are to be used when theres fog.

If you are driving and the person ahead of you keeps tapping their break. They are trying to tell you something.

Can't think of anymore right now but i know theres defo a lot more :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you are driving behind someone and don't plan on overtaking them, if possible lower your headlights to the ground slightly or else back off a bit.

I do not agree. The lights are only supposed to be lowered to ground level if you are carrying a heavy load, full complement of heavy passengers and/or towing a trailer.

The handbook for each car says which setting to lower your lights to for each different load.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Drive in the leftmost lane except when overtaking.

Yes I know it's already in the ROTR. I just want it printed in a bigger font. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I do not agree. The lights are only supposed to be lowered to ground level if you are carrying a heavy load, full complement of heavy passengers and/or towing a trailer.

The handbook for each car says which setting to lower your lights to for each different load.

I didn't say lower them to the ground, lower them slightly OR back off a bit(not much, just enough that your lights are not shining in my back window. about 20-30 meters would do that)

javaboy wrote: »

Yes I know it's already in the ROTR. I just want it printed in a bigger font. :pac:

I always forget about the most obvious :D

I didn't say lower them to the ground, lower them slightly OR back off a bit(not much, just enough that your lights are not shining in my back window. about 20-30 meters would do that)

There are two types of rear view mirrors installed in cars. They both deflect the dazzle from cars.

Either flick the button into the other position to change the mirror from a convex to a concave or vice versa OR you might have an auto dim mirror.

As there is already a provision for this then there is no need to have people meddle with the controls any more than usual. People are currently unable to make the correct use of their control nows so why complicate it more?

• Advertisement

There are two types of rear view mirrors installed in cars. They both deflect the dazzle from cars.

Either flick the button into the other position to change the mirror from a convex to a concave or vice versa OR you might have an auto dim mirror.

As there is already a provision for this then there is no need to have people meddle with the controls any more than usual. People are currently unable to make the correct use of their control nows so why complicate it more?

OR BACK OFF A LITTLE

I understand what you're saying, i'd just like for everything to be as easy as possible for all road users. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I think driving knowledge and road manners are the main ingredients.
    1. Pay attention to where you are on the road and know what lane you should be in.
    2. Common sence really, Dip your lights, or else you blind the on-comming driver, who could hit you!
    I really wish there was a night part to drivier training. Everyone seems to learn by experience which isn't really good enough.
    Too many times i have to flash a driver to dip. The odd time is ok, but it's all too common these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you do not have the capabilities of using a round about, stay the **** away from them.
    If you see a classic car coming, don't assume it's going 10mph and pull out in front of it.

Ah so on so forth lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

javaboy wrote: »

Can I borrow your big font "Indicate at roundabouts", nothing pisses me off more than being stuck a busy roundabout and seeing idiots not using indicators, I'm waiting to let them drive by when they turn left without indicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

If the speed limit is 100k per hour drive at the limit not 40k under it, if you cant keep up with the rest of the normal people , - get of the ******* road!!!!
    I have a theory seems to be true, small car= small driving ability!!

• Advertisement

OR BACK OFF A LITTLE

You dont have to shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some good points there, Fighting Irish. Although I agree with quirke_folder that the one he quoted is way OTT

I feel strongly about this one:
    If you see a cars lights ahead, don't wait until you've turned the corner before dimming your full headlights.

I've turned it into a game. I always try to dim my full beam before the other party does. So far the score is roughly:

unkel: 10,000
    oncoming drivers: 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you want to pull into the side of the road, that's no problem, just do it safetly and use your left indicator.

Often I see parked cars with their hazards on, but due to parked cars around them I can only see their right indicator.
    So I slow down a little as they might pull out suddenly
    Then I get alongside them and the hazards are on.
    Sorry if I've explained it badly

It's realy simple, costs nothing and could be implemented by everyone with no effort.
    If you are stopped on a hard shoulder or somewhere dangerous, yes use the hazards.
    But not when you are pulling in to park on a street.

Oh and motorcycles to be able to use buslanes. Unofficaly this is in place already as I've certainly never been stopped. Motorcycles don't slow down anyone and actually ease congestion. Open the buslanes!

Your only allowed to overtake on a continous white line when the vehicle you wish to overtake is a slow moving vehicle (not capable of exceeding 50k) and once its safe to do so. what do you do if your behind a car and the driver is incapable of driving/keeping to the speed limit? should you be allowed to overtake on the continous once safe???

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I think driving knowledge and road manners are the main ingredients.
    1. Pay attention to where you are on the road and know what lane you should be in.
    2. Common sence really, Dip your lights, or else you blind the on-comming driver, who could hit you!
    I really wish there was a night part to drivier training. Everyone seems to learn by experience which isn't really good enough.
    Too many times i have to flash a driver to dip. The odd time is ok, but it's all too common these days.

Thats the problem, some people have none

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

micmclo wrote: »
    Often I see parked cars with their hazards on, but due to parked cars around them I can only see their right indicator.
    So I slow down a little as they might pull out suddenly
    Then I get alongside them and the hazards are on.
    But didn't you know they're not hazard lights - they're magical-park-anywhere lights! :rolleyes:
    Seriously though, I've come across the same problem when they've parked between other cars. Pretty annoying. People should be fined for misuse of hazard lights, but I'm sure the guards have bigger problems to deal with...
    pipsqueak wrote: »
    If the speed limit is 100k per hour drive at the limit not 40k under it, if you cant keep up with the rest of the normal people , - get of the ******* road!!!!
    In all fairness it's a limit, not a target. But driving that slowly with no reasonable excuse (trailer, etc.) would be taking the píss.
    This is a bad idea and you should feel bad. Also I'm sure a lot of people don't even know how to adjust their headlights nor when they should adjust them, and I don't think they're mandatory requirement either. Also also, as one of my headlights is some cheapo spurious part I can only adjust one of mine :)
    Fog lights are to be used when theres fog.
    I'm pretty sure it already says this. The real problem with the current ROTR is that people don't read the thing or just don't care.
    If you are driving and the person ahead of you keeps tapping their break. They are trying to tell you something.
    From my experience it just means they're a bad driver and don't know what to do when there's someone in front of them driving slower than the speed they want to drive.

But didn't you know they're not hazard lights - they're magical-park-anywhere lights! :rolleyes:
    Seriously though, I've come across the same problem when they've parked between other cars. Pretty annoying. People should be fined for misuse of hazard lights, but I'm sure the guards have bigger problems to deal with...

In all fairness it's a limit, not a target. But driving that slowly with no reasonable excuse (trailer, etc.) would be taking the píss.

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad. Also I'm sure a lot of people don't even know how to adjust their headlights nor when they should adjust them, and I don't think they're mandatory requirement either. Also also, as one of my headlights is some cheapo spurious part I can only adjust one of mine :)

I'm pretty sure it already says this. The real problem with the current ROTR is that people don't read the thing or just don't care.

From my experience it just means they're a bad driver and don't know what to do when there's someone in front of them driving slower than the speed they want to drive.

Funny that, you said its a limit not a target, i was done for 120k in a 100 3 months ago and a garda said the same thing to me hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Can I borrow your big font "Indicate at roundabouts", nothing pisses me off more than being stuck a busy roundabout and seeing idiots not using indicators, I'm waiting to let them drive by when they turn left without indicating.

Couldn't agree more. Every near miss I have had is because of people not knowing what to do at roundabouts. My issue is "Using the proper lanes at roundabouts".

I always see people staying in the left lane as long as they feel like and earlier today I had a van (the international pricks of the road) go onto a roundabout at the same time as me (me in the left lane, him in the right) and then he forced his way in front of me to get off at the first exit.
    I have a theory seems to be true, small car= small driving ability!!

You don't live in a city im guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fog lights are to be used when theres fog
    That is already there (in fog and in falling snow)
    Usually that they are a crap driver.
    DonJose wrote: »
    I'm waiting to let them drive by when they turn left without indicating.
    You should avoid making a manoeuvre on the strength of another driver's indicator. How can you tell that they haven't left it on by accident?
    As has been said, it's the 'limit' based on good driving conditions. If it is dark and wet, with poor visibility, it may not be advisable to drive at that speed.

And you also seem to forget that certain categories of vehicles are limited to 45, 50, 65 and 80kph regardless of the general speed limit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd have the "Keep left except when overtaking" printed on every single page, and once its been in the ROTR for a few months, allow mass sterlisiation and stripping of licences of anyone that disobeys it.

I'd also like some clarification of if 'auxiliary lanes' like the M50 has are classed as a separate roadway or not - e.g. can you undertake or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Your only allowed to overtake on a continous white line when the vehicle you wish to overtake is a slow moving vehicle (not capable of exceeding 50k) and once its safe to do so.
    Are you proposing a new rule?
    25. (1) Where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided on a roadway or where two such traffic signs are provided in parallel, a driver shall not cross that sign or signs.
    The current rule makes no mention of 50kph.

You're allowed pass, as long as you can do it safely, without causing inconvenience and without crossing the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OR more likely that you're (not you personally) too close and back the hell off!! :mad:

(Slowing the car down to a crawl also tends to work for the more persistent tailgaters as well)

If one of your headlights is out, it doesn't give you thr right to turn on your full beams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭Poochie05

OK lowering the angle of your headlights as suggested by a previous poster is probably extreme but as they also suggested, pull back. If you can see the back of the driver in front's head in your headlights at night, you are too close. Even if your headlights are adjusted correctly, if you can see their head, your lights are flooding the cockpit with light and so causing a nuisance, if not a hazard. Correctly adjusted dipped headlights do not do this once the car behind is at an appropriate distance from the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    OR more likely that you're (not you personally) too close and back the hell off!! :mad:

(Slowing the car down to a crawl also tends to work for the more persistent tailgaters as well)
    I don't tailgate, I was just saying it seems to be the tailgaters (not just the tailgatees) that do this too as they seem to have trouble maintaining a speed that isn't their desired speed without frequently braking. Maybe all tailgaters just have a stuck throttle? :rolleyes:

I usually just ignore them - they seem to get bored and overtake me eventually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

It works in the states, you're allowed to turn left (their right) on a red light while yielding for oncoming traffic.

Not sure what happens if there's a green man for pedestrians just as you turn the corner mind you. Might is right.

Generally here is nothing wrong with our existing Rules of the Road. The problem is with obeying them and enforcing them!

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    It works in the states, you're allowed to turn left (their right) on a red light while yielding for oncoming traffic.

Not sure what happens if there's a green man for pedestrians just as you turn the corner mind you. Might is right.
    The vehicle turning right (or left if it was here) must yield to pedestrians/pedestrian lights.
    If one of your headlights is out, it doesn't give you thr right to turn on your full beams
    That's already in there! It is illegal to drive a vehicle on a public road with one operating headlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    It works in the states, you're allowed to turn left (their right) on a red light while yielding for oncoming traffic. ...Not sure what happens if there's a green man for pedestrians just as you turn the corner mind you. Might is right.
    If there's a pedestrian on the crossing, the the driver gives way.

Wouldn't work here unless pedesrians were armed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Compulsory to stop before entering a roundabout, stop the "ah sure I'll probably make it" brigade.

-2 penalty points for hitting a cyclist who has broken a red light.

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    Compulsory to stop before entering a roundabout, stop the "ah sure I'll probably make it" brigade
    Those who stop unnecessarily when entering a roundabout are more annoying than the 'probably make it' brigade!

Advertisement