Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

rc28 wrote: »
    How many times do I have to say it on this forum; do not use meteireann's radar image as it always undercooks the intensity (in fact, it never shows precip properly over the north of the country for some reason). Use the metoffice one.

:osorry didn't hear you say that...will never use it again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

patneve wrote: »
    :osorry didn't hear you say that...will never use it again;)
    Good boy :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain now being reported at Knock AP at 1730 2c/DP2c :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperature up to 1.6°C from 1.2°C earlier, DP holding steady at around -1.9°C
    Looking at temperatures across the country i'm not optimistic, I think this is going to be rain everywhere below maybe 100 metres, and probably sleet for an hour or so at around 200 metres before turning back to rain.
    I just was looking at the October snow stats for here, what's different about then and now is that the temperature and dp were high in the morning and fell as the front approached even though it arrived just after midday.
    This time its getting dark and the temperature is rising and i'm pretty sure the dp will follow.
    In short, unless you live around Sally Gap dont expect to see any settling snow, even temporarily.
    Sorry but I'm calling it - cold rain event.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Sure that isn't snow on the hills to the west of the Dublin hills (excuse my geography!!) They were looking very white this afternoon when I was walking in Herbert Park, but hard to get a good clear view of them.

The lake was half iced up again at 3pm, yeah I know it's pretty shallow!

I thought only sheep lived around Sally Gap :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Temperature up to 1.6°C from 1.2°C earlier, DP holding steady at around -1.9°C
    Looking at temperatures across the country i'm not optimistic, I think this is going to be rain everywhere below maybe 100 metres, and probably sleet for an hour or so at around 200 metres before turning back to rain.
    I just was looking at the October snow stats for here, what's different about then and now is that the temperature and dp were high in the morning and fell as the front approached even though it arrived just after midday.
    This time its getting dark and the temperature is rising and i'm pretty sure the dp will follow.
    In short, unless you live around Sally Gap dont expect to see any settling snow, even temporarily.
    Sorry but I'm calling it - cold rain event.

Interesting. Temp seems to be holding steady at 0.6c. My trusty mercury thermo is showing circa 1c. We may have to do another calibration soon!

My dewpoint calculation on my weather station is fecked so I am looking at yours which is showing -1.9.

All in all, if these stats stay like that we could have a transient snow event. That precip band could arrive here around 20:30 as it seems to be getting a bit faster. Its already over Lough Ree on the latest...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

This radar seem to update every 15mins unlike the met office 30mins

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/meteoconsult.products.raintoday/radarMain.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

3.3C Up 1C in 45mins
    Dp -1C

Warm air advection and maritime air form Dub city. Dp should rise in the next hour.
    Temp should fall slightly in precip from cooling and then rise again. Cold rain.

Dead cert for snow for a while in your location artictree.
    An absolute dead cert.

Temp is even heading in the right direction here in the lowlands way to your south.
    Around 1.5c and almost -1c dp in cloud and a stiff SW breeze.

Only expecting transient sleet here though rather than snow.

arctictree wrote: »
    Interesting. Temp seems to be holding steady at 0.6c. My trusty mercury thermo is showing circa 1c. We may have to do another calibration soon!

My dewpoint calculation on my weather station is fecked so I am looking at yours which is showing -1.9.

All in all, if these stats stay like that we could have a transient snow event. That precip band could arrive here around 21:30 as it seems to be getting a bit faster. Its already over Lough Ree on the latest...

A

Yep, I think we will have a transient event here, but its just moving far to fast to chill enough to give anything but a pretty short spell of snow, I'm half relieved to be honest, didn't fancy driving to work in a blizzard. Think I'll take the shortest route to the N11 via Ashford (where it never snows ;) )instead of across Calary and down to Kilmacanogue.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Just to note, that the weather data for Kilkenny area in the last half an hour has shown a substantial upward trend in the dew point, which now lies above the freezing mark.

IMO, there will not be much snow in Ireland tonight.
    As ever, we seem to miss out while the UK does well.
    Never mind, I'm sure there will be many more of these types of events in the coming months, and I do belive the very cold weather will return before Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Think I'll take the shortest route to the N11 via Ashford (where it never snows ;) )

:(

Well my Davis console has the snow symbol on it anyway... [not that that is ever any indication]

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

heh
    I think it needs another overhaul BB

3.6C up
    Dp -1.4C down
    Wind South (bleugh)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met E reports for 1800 - RAIN

lol not at all :D

It's actually pretty much inline with the NRA one on the arklow by pass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well it looks like I will have to wait for the next cold spell for snow, its raining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Won't be any snow here tonight but conditions looking good for Belfast, where its 1c/-1c with precip edging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Well it looks like I will have to wait for the next cold spell for snow, its raining now.

we'll all have to wait, except maybe for people like supercell and arctictree

we'll all have to wait, except maybe for people like supercell and arctictree

Yep looks like it, I reckon it'll lash snow for an hour here (20-21:00 approx), then rain.
    That'll do me fine to be honest given I have to head out later.
    Ground still frozen here which is a bit of a concern though - if it does snow it will settle readily, hopefully rain will be heavy afterwards..can't believe i'm saying that!
    DP up to -1.4°C here..really rising fast now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nothing but rain here in Newport North Tipp at the moment, and plenty of it.

Nice fluffy snow here now, fairly reasonable rate too. Temp dropped a little as per expectations, hopefully will get an hour or so out of it :D

Snow falling in Belfast per NetWeather.

I'm gonna just have to move :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Nice fluffy snow here now, fairly reasonable rate too. Temp dropped a little as per expectations, hopefully will get an hour or so out of it :D

Lucky you. None here. (Dublin)

Lucky Belfast.

Right new conditions in.

Dublin Airport 1930, 3c/-1c CLOUDY

Belfast Aldergrove 1920 1c/-1c LIGHT SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm getting annoyed just thinking abouyt how much england is going to get out of this:mad:

Tis dry here now..they might not get much from it at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Well the light precip has just hit me 5mins ago on the East coast and it is falling as snow at sea level.

Should be interesting when the heavy stuff moves over in an hour or 2.

Won't be any snow here tonight but conditions looking good for Belfast, where its 1c/-1c with precip edging in.
    T'will be full on rain here now at 3.3c and a dp of 1c and sleet on the high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

i'm getting annoyed just thinking abouyt how much england is going to get out of this:mad:
    yes so am I, I got relatives over there, I can't bare seeing them enjoying the snow when we get nothing. . frustrating!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement