Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Heavier precip def further south on the 12z.
    Could suprise a few people especially on higher routes when this moves in later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

New warning from the met.

Issued at 03 December 2008 - 15:57
    Weather Warning
    Danger of some falls of snow this evening and early tonight especially on high ground and accompanied by strong winds. Up to 3cm may accumulate but it will turn to rain by around midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I expect a big forecast for the UK on the BBC this evening, probably interesting to tune in because i reckon there's going to be loads of footage tomorrow of a big snow event over much of middle and northern England/Scotland.

The Lunchtime one was something aswell but seen as NI has been added to the warnings after the 12z was released i think that the 12z UKM is going for it even bigger style for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

byrneno7 wrote: »
    New warning from the met.

Issued at 03 December 2008 - 15:57
    Weather Warning
    Danger of some falls of snow this evening and early tonight especially on high ground and accompanied by strong winds. Up to 3cm may accumulate but it will turn to rain by around midnight.

Here in the southeast / south midland areas the temperature is now at almost 0 degress, even though the cloud cover is continuously increasing.

I think we are seeing a last minute upgrade from Met Eireann on this one, and that the cold air has proven more stubbern than previously thought or forecast by the various models. However, I would still be very very surprised to see falling snow tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Conditions seem to be perfect for a few hours of transient snow before it turns to rain here, UK looks in for a major event the lucky so and so's!
    I'm supposed to heading into work around 21:45 and i expect it to be tipping down with the sneachta..
    Now if I call in a snow day..its going to be hard to explain when by morning theres going to be feck all snow anywhere but maybe the very highest mountain peaks by then..or do i head in early and sulk for a few hours knowing that by the time i am coming home in the morning it will al have come and gone..
    Hard decisions!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IKILKENN2

Temperature: 32.2 °F / 0.1 °C
    Dew Point: 31.6 °F / -0.2 °C

Been foggy since about 3pm.

Supercell wrote: »
    Conditions seem to be perfect for a few hours of transient snow before it turns to rain here, UK looks in for a major event the lucky so and so's!
    I'm supposed to heading into work around 21:45 and i expect it to be tipping down with the sneachta..
    Now if I call in a snow day..its going to be hard to explain when by morning theres going to be feck all snow anywhere but maybe the very highest mountain peaks by then..or do i head in early and sulk for a few hours knowing that by the time i am coming home in the morning it will al have come and gone..
    Hard decisions!

Wait for the snow, attempt the trip, ring them and say you've been stuck in the snow and have to turn around the weather is too bad.

Wait for the snow, attempt the trip, ring them and say you've been stuck in the snow and have to turn around the weather is too bad.

Lol, my only worry is that i WOULD end up stuck in the snow or worse, stuck in the snow in a ditch waiting for the thaw to set in!
    Think I'll just leave to as late as possible before leaving and wait for Arctictree to txt me in work telling me about the awesome blizzards outside and that I haven't a hope in hell of making it home in the morning!!(now that would be painful!!).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sounds a like a very good idea, however I would be very surprised if we see snowfall tonight. Going on the Irish Met warning any eastern and northern areas could see transient snowfall for one or two hours, however my confidence is very low on this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I just hope were not all kidding ourselves!

Shannon for example currently at 5c with DP at 5c and that's before the precip/front arrives.

BTW, I have imposed a 24hr ban on myself on Net Weather - just can't cope with the glee and anticipation there! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    Hard decisions!
    Go to work because you'll be seriously disappointed with the non event if you're at home

DOCARCH wrote: »

Shannon for example currently at 5c with DP at 5c and that's before the precip/front arrives.

BTW, I have imposed a 24hr ban on myself on Net Weather - just can't cope with the glee and anticipation there! :rolleyes:

:eek: Feck it i'm giving it one last day! Probably won't have any hope for a good few weeks anyway, and it could be fate, i swapped a work shift for tonight for tomorrow night a number of days ago!

The Met.ie warning and the MetO warning are all positives, i would be very very happy with 2 hours of snow! Hey even 1 hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Sounds a like a very good idea, however I would be very surprised if we see snowfall tonight. Going on the Irish Met warning any eastern and northern areas could see transient snowfall for one or two hours, however my confidence is very low on this.

I agree with the above. The weather system is coming from a source of mild air - it will shake the frosty cold away in no time at all. Pity we don't live in a bigger isle, so there would be time for the mild to lose its mildness:D Looks good for G.B. (larger landmass). Pity we don't witness snow the way i love it (cold air stays under warmer air, resulting in heavy snowfall).:)

Snow addict if you are in kilkenny I see the NRA station there was below freezing at 4pm.
    A lot of stations in the North Midlands are near zero.
    It's cloudy here and even the Arklow NRA station is 1.9c at 4pm.

I'm expecting snow down here above 500ft and inland.
    Supercell and artictree will have a temporary blizzard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

:eek: Feck it i'm giving it one last day! Probably won't have any hope for a good few weeks anyway, and it could be fate, i swapped a work shift for tonight for tomorrow night a number of days ago!

I do hope so!

One good thing I will say is that at least its only the December and not March!

Another good thing is that we will not have to wait up all night to find out!

DOCARCH wrote: »

Mothman wrote: »
    Go to work because you'll be seriously disappointed with the non event if you're at home

Adds up alright, I think DP needs close monitoring, if that starts shooting up then its game over.
    Still think a couple of hours of blizzards are on here before tuning back to rain...so by morning it will be a non event..and the english get a snowfest..aghhhrr..its just not fair!!

Snow addict if you are in kilkenny I see the NRA station there was below freezing at 4pm.
    A lot of stations in the North Midlands are near zero.
    It's cloudy here and even the Arklow NRA station is 1.9c at 4pm.

I'm expecting snow down here above 500ft and inland.
    Supercell and artictree will have a temporary blizzard.

I sure hope your right, but will the warmer air not ruin the chances of any snow, as it has done so many times in the past, most notably Feb 2007.... How long do you expect any snowfall to last for?

I'm talking transient snow.
    Probably an hour at most but maybe longer on higher ground.
    Just got my aws back up.

Temp is 1.7c
    Wind SW at 5mph and cloudy.

Will see the dp in a moment.

Borderline for here I'd say but good further inland at elevation

Ok the dp here is -0.3c

Very borderline at a temp of 1.7c

Another thing to watch is Precip Intensity, if the precip is intense it will increase our chances. I reckon any light precip will be rain at first and then could turn to snow and it could cool down.

• Advertisement

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EIDW/2008/12/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Theres the half hourly update from Dublin airport.

Dewpoint of -1c so ok.

This is very very borderline but up in Roundwood and annamoe it's a cert.

Put it to you this way,the conditions temp wise and dp wise are colder than the october snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Very true - The other day I missed the heavy precip by about 30miles and it was chucking it down with snow in mid ulster yet just crappy sleet here in the lighter precip.

At the min the temps are perfect for a snow event 1/-2c

Forgot to say has the met office website crashed? Can't get on it

Does anyone know where the warm sector is forecast to travel over at first?? Anywhere east and north of this could potentially see some snow

heh temp dropped now to 1.6c here

every little helps :D

Another thing to watch is Precip Intensity, if the precip is intense it will increase our chances. I reckon any light precip will be rain at first and then could turn to snow and it could cool down.
    Havent been keeping too close an eye on events-have you an eta for the precip for Eastern area's WC?

Rain into Belmullet and Valentia - temps there 7c/8c.

Knock AP will be a tester!

BTW, my temp. is steadily on the way up (3.0c now however DP is now -1.2c)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

from the latest met eireann radar the precipitation doesn't seem to be taking its time: (:rolleyes:will that yellow stuff turn to snow over the east?) i wish
    latest_radar.gif

Havent been keeping too close an eye on events-have you an eta for the precip for Eastern area's WC?

Yep it will move from west to east quite quickly, with very heavy precip, arriving the east coast around 2200hrs and then stopping around 7am.

Potential for 30mm of precip and very strong winds.

The 850hpa temperature will be below 0c from Dublin northwards throughout the night.. around -3c at 2200hrs 0c at 0300hrs and -2c at 0700hrs,

In this sort of low level cold situation with heavy precip you'd want 850hpa temps to be around -2c for snow or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

patneve wrote: »
    from the latest met eireann radar the precipitation doesn't seem to be taking its time: (:rolleyes:will that yellow stuff turn to snow over the east?) i wish
    latest_radar.gif

How many times do I have to say it on this forum; do not use meteireann's radar image as it always undercooks the intensity (in fact, it never shows precip properly over the north of the country for some reason). Use the metoffice one.

• Advertisement

Down to 1.5c here now.

That would be the cold southwesterly flow sourced in Kilkenny :D

Dp is -0.4c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement