Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fàs involved in ridiculous spending up to €5.7m - €900 on golf, €400 on beau

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

jmayo wrote: »
    I believe there have been upto 60 investigations running within or outside Fás about their accounting/spending.

great, that means another multi mollion euro public enquiry.:rolleyes:

i wonder what molloy's payoff was as well, because i am sure there will be one, after all, he was doing a good job which is why he got a €34k bonus recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

meglome wrote: »
    Em I think that may be wrong, it didn't even cost that to build croke park.

Sorry for going off topic, but I think you are wrong. This article from 2002 lists the cost: The aborted projected has cost the Irish taxpayer half a billion euros (£315 million). "
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/sep/15/footballinireland.ireland
    Probably cost more as they wound-down the project and paid-off everyone who was contracted to do various jobs (PR, consultancy, etc). Had to respond as too many people are still willing to defend this sort of thing.

In relation to FAS, it (and AnCo) were originally created to re-train unemployed people. They should have stuck to their core purpose, and reduced their operations during the boom when jobs were plentiful. They may be useful again, but not in its obviously bloated gravy-train current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Two quotes from the news:
    The Director General of FÁS, Rody Molloy, has resigned.
    The announcement was made shortly before 11pm by Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise Mary Coughlan.
    In her statement she thanked Mr Molloy for his many years of public service both in the Department of Enterprise, Trade & Employment and for the past eight years as Director General of FÁS.
    Taoiseach Brien Cowen has commended former FÁS Director General Rody Molloy on his decision to step down.
    Mr Cowen said he had made a valuable contribution to FÁS and his resignation showed that confidence in him was justified because he had proved himself to be accountable

He was a great man :rolleyes:, looks like he'll get away it, if that were anyone else they would be locked up.
    With statements like the two above it just goes to show what type of people we have in government, Brian Cowen and his gang would give the Mafia a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

hellboy99 wrote: »
    looks like he'll get away it, if that were anyone else they would be locked up.
    I don't think so. Probably the private company would let it slide and be rid of them, or sue them for the money. i don't think it is actually a criminal matter to abuse expenses AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

the worst bit of it is that yer man thought he was entitled to spend all that money and that there was nothing wrong with it! the attitude is just so wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

eigrod wrote: »
    Roddy Molloy is from Offaly also.

They're actually brothers-in-law!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They're actually brothers-in-law!
    It's a rumour going around, but no credible source has confirmed it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mr Cowen said ... his resignation showed that confidence in him was justified because he had proved himself to be accountable
    That tosses out a few questions (I don't expect answers from here or, heaven knows, our elected lords and masters):
    • Is Cowen of the opinion that Molloy's spending was justified?
    • If Cowen is of the opinion that the spending was justified, what other spending is he regarding as justified closer to his own domain?
    • Is there no actual oversight in FAS or of FAS as even a cursory glance at expense accounts would have set alarm bells ringing?
    • Are they not actually going to look at the idea of reclaiming the money then?
    • What sort of safeguards are they going to introduce in FAS (and what kind of safeguards are they going to introduce at government level to govern FAS) to make sure that no-one else pulls this kind of stunt in FAS in the future?
    • Is this common practice in other Irish government agencies and quangos?
    • Is Cowen actually aware that we'd never have found out about this unless journalists had gone and poked around for the information?
    • How does Brian Cowen actually define "accountability"? Is it the same definition Haughey used?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

sceptre wrote: »
    That tosses out a few questions (I don't expect answers from here or, heaven knows, our elected lords and masters):
    • If Cowen is of the opinion that the spending was justified, what other spending is he regarding as justified closer to his own domain?
    • Is there no actual oversight in FAS or of FAS as even a cursory glance at expense accounts would have set alarm bells ringing?
    • Are they not actually going to look at the idea of reclaiming the money then?
    • What sort of safeguards are they going to introduce in FAS (and what kind of safeguards are they going to introduce at government level to govern FAS) to make sure that no-one else pulls this kind of stunt in FAS in the future?
    • Is this common practice in other Irish government agencies and quangos?
    • Is Cowen actually aware that we'd never have found out about this unless journalists had gone and poked around for the information?
    • How does Brian Cowen actually define "accountability"? Is it the same definition Haughey used?

All valid questions and questions that you'd really hope the minority government party would be asking, failing that the opposition should keep demanding answers. Really disappointed with the Greens on this, the backing of this guy by them and Cowen showed a severe lack of judgement and integrity.

I wanted to see this guy get the chop not for expense abuse but for the gross inefficiency of his organisation - I believe I read an article recently that stated that for the €1 billion of taxpayer's money FAS spent last year, they managed to secure jobs for only 4,000 people = €250,000 a pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

All the fuss over Harney's hair do, does anyone remember when she was using the air corp as her own taxi service?

"Her idea of depriving almost 500,000 men, women and children in the north west of local cancer services compels any person diagnosed with cancer to travel hundreds of miles. This same minister used an Air Corp helicopter to officiate at the opening of a booze shop in Manorhamilton, Co Leitrim; it was too long a journey by car. One must, therefore, assume that Fianna Fail as a political party has no interest in health care in Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo or Roscommon, much less the rest of Ireland."

http://prod.independent.ie/opinion/letters/the-verdict-was-no--accept-it-1484173.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why do you think FF have been trying to rein in the Freedom of Information act for the last few years ?
    It is an inconvenient little thing that allows the plebs get to see where they are all blowing the money. In this case they literally did blow the money away :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Eskimo K

€400 for a Nail Bar?

Is a Nail Bar what shows up on a credit card bill following a trip to a "Massage Parlour"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Probable not, but if he admits this he will be under presure to chase similer mispending, and punish those indulging is such ridicule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think they have the right idea over in Thailand at the moment!

The funniest thing about the FAS spectacle is him trying to justify his wife being shunted over to the US at the taxpayers expense and claiming that he downgraded his "entitlement" to fly first class, to two business class tickets so that the cost of the two business class tickets for himself and his wife "came in at under the single ticket for his first class fare would have cost". Basically he is trying to tell us that by bringing his wife along with him at the taxpayers expense, he is saving the taxpayer money!!!

Best thing we could do with this circus act and his wife is arrange for another taxpayer footed trip to the US but this time when the plane is coming in over the everglades of Florida, open the door and fu*k the two of them out to the crocodiles.

And another 500,000 Euro pay off for the poor man who had to resign "due to someone with a destructive agenda against FAS"...

Honestly, I bet what they are up in arms about over in Thailand doesn't have a scratch on the madness that we are tolerating over here!

I'm wondering has Rody Molloy established such positive links with NASA, that maybe they might be open to obliging us by taking our government ministers on the next lunar mission???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I think they have the right idea over in Thailand at the moment!
    Best thing we could do with this circus act and his wife is arrange for another taxpayer footed trip to the US but this time when the plane is coming in over the everglades of Florida, open the door and fu*k the two of them out to the crocodiles.
    Honestly, I bet what they are up in arms about over in Thailand doesn't have a scratch on the madness that we are tolerating over here!

They are alligators not crocs, but they can bite just as affectively :D
    Hey I would agree to have a sit in Dublin airport, but nobody would notice as it's already a mess up there :rolleyes:
    Besides ministers probably fly out of Baldonnel.
    I'm wondering has Rody Molloy established such positive links with NASA, that maybe they might be open to obliging us by taking our government ministers on the next lunar mission???

You would need one hell of big rocket to lift off what with the overweight fat cats we have in the government.
    (and before somebody claims again my harney fat jokes are so old and over the hill, so is she :D )

Anyway space travel is too environmentally unfriendly according to the greens, unless of course it is powered by windmills or bicycles :rolleyes:

Jasus, you couldn't make this sh*t up!!! The Dail Public Accounts Committee, every single member of which has never had to stand over or justify a single expense EVER, paid for in full by the taxpayer, is being told by a senior FAS official that there was a "failure of control" with regard to the management of expenses in the "corporate affairs" area!!!

You have a senior FAS official, admitting that there has been a serious and systematic failure in relation to corporate expenses and the management thereof, to a room full of people who have been claiming expenses for years and not a single one of them has EVER had to produce a receipt for an expense claimed!?!?!?!?!??!

This country has officially gone fu*king MAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Did I hear it right on the radio that €1.7 million was spent on the FAS website? As a part-time web developer I find that figure astounding. How can that be justified? I mean really, that is a staggering amount of money. Is this being followed up? Who got the contract, etc?

Nick

Did I hear it right on the radio that €1.7 million was spent on the FAS website? As a part-time web developer I find that figure astounding. How can that be justified? I mean really, that is a staggering amount of money. Is this being followed up? Who got the contract, etc?

Nick

Surely that had to go out to tender??? I bet this is just the tip of the iceberg, it is hardly just FAS that has been at this. No wonder the country doesn't have a pot to p*ss into, with just under 10K being spent on a single transatlantic flight, $410 on a hair do, a 9K dinner in the Merrion Hotel for 33 people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nick
    May 2008 - The Comptroller and Auditor General publishes his report, which showed there had been a "failure to achieve value for money" with FAS advertising. This included the setting up of a Jobs Ireland website at a cost of €1.7m when it already had a similar website. Around €160,000 in incorrect payments were claimed by advertisers who added on percentages to their bills.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/in-the-spotlight-how-spending-saga-unfolded-1552805.html

It should be pointed out that some matters relating to goings on at FAS are under Garda investigation.....

• Advertisement

That's staggering. €1.7 million on a website. I would like to see this website that my money has paid for. It must be the holy grail of websites for that money.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

And yet when the next election rolls around people will still go out and vote the same shower of **** back in.

That's staggering. €1.7 million on a website. I would like to see this website that my money has paid for. It must be the holy grail of websites for that money.

Nick

You could buy a web design & development company for that amount!

And yet when the next election rolls around people will still go out and vote the same shower of **** back in.

I have a theory on this, that the Greens are the only thing holding this pathethic show together. I think we, the Irish people, should picket Green Party candidates clinics, instead of going to Leinster House or Parnell Square, the OAP's, the students, the teachers, the UNEMPLOYED, should set organising civil protests, unruly protests if necessary, for the sole purpose of getting the Green Party out of government. Then the majority party, FF, can't continue in office.

You could buy a web design & development company for that amount!

They probably did and I would bet it was by some coincidence in Offaly :D
    Hey Orlando is very popular for IT company conferences and maybe the web developers brought their other halves who happened to get beauty treatment while they over there ?
    When it comes to Fás nothing is surprising anymore :rolleyes:

Anyone know the address of this website we all contributed to? I want to look at it from a web developers point of view to see what I have to do to earn that money. Seriously.

Do we not deserve to know what our money has got us?

Nick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

This post has been deleted.

No but i'm sure we could get some engineers and physicists over there to get some good experience.

Just heard on the radio that over €30,000 was spent on first class travel to Florida on a FAS sponsored visit. The seats were not used since they went on the government jet. Now I'm breaking my back to pay my TAX every year and they throw away our money like that. It's a ****ing disgrace!

This has to end, it's an offense to us all who are paying TAX and supporting this kind of rubbish.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yeah and the number of social employment schemes that had to be sniped, for lack of funding for the past few years. which there was some return for comunnitys, and the misfortunes that were placed on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

To all you cynics out there, I see FÁSA have released footage of Ireland's first Moon mission. Nice the see the money hasn't been wasted. :)

Advertisement