Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 22nd November

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yes, that was great fun alright! Slightly torturous in points with wind and rain lashing into ones face. Thanks very much for the advice and route knowledge emty, it makes things a lot easier knowing what's coming up and having waypoints.

I think it was around 80km for me which I'm pretty happy with. 60km first time out and 80km now and I don't feel wrecked, just pleasantly tired.

Great to meet more of the regulars, really makes the cycle far more enjoyable being able to have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

well done team hardship!
    very good day out. lots of climbing ...
    I don't remember ever being as cold in Ireland than during the descent from the feather beds to firhouse.
    Fecking freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

To be fair ... i was a pain in the bum today. Appologies to you guys. I was not fit enough for this and yet I wanted to do it. 6 weeks with no regular cycling due to injuries and other health related stuff did not help.
    I serioulsy need to get back out there ( or on the turbo and the gym ) and get my arse back in full cycling fitness.

It was SO fecking cold too ... had a nice hot chocolate when I got back ... numnumnum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bloody foggy and extremely windy up on military road for me... pretty miserable slog on my own (where's El_Tonto to hide behind when you need him!). Neck started complaining on the way down Stocking Lane, so think I did the right thing heading when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Hi all, thanks for great spin and Your company today. Hope those people behind me got home safe. Sorry I had to leave early, but I had no lights and darkness waits for nobody. Anyhow I got back to blanchardstown before darkness and pedaled the last 20kms luckily without any unwanted attention. My total for today =160Km, wasnt really prepaired for that but feel OK now. The rain and wind had abated by the time I got to the city so the spin home was comfortable. Thought the section back to sally gap was a bit bleak though, not the place for a mechanical or physical breakdown. Its been more than a few years since I cycled through the city but I was impressed with the cycle and bus lanes. Makes things much safer and calmer I thought. Hope to do it again maybe in 2 weeks time.
    Bye for now.
    Victorcarrera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sounds like it was fun and once again i am gutted i missed it.

Is the orwell spin on tmw (assuming i wake up)?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Is the orwell spin on tmw (assuming i wake up)?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sweet, thanking you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

Enjoy your spin, Orwellers. I'm still thawing out after yesterday's epic. Great to meet you, Victor and Verb. Caroline, let's have no more of this negative talk. If I'd bust my thumb, I doubt I'd be anywhere near a bike for some time. You are a hero, as is everyone who participated in the freezing madness of yesterday. Which I enjoyed immensely.

Huzzah for all ! Bleedin windy and cold out again today though, rough going for the Orwell crowd I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I went out with the aul' man. We did about 60km, which is his longest to date. He didn't really like the hill coming out of Naul, but he didn't stop once so that was good. He did 40km on his own yesterday. I'm well impressed. It's all to get him ready to do the Wicklow Challenge. It won't be long before has the mileage under his belt and we can start testing out some more hills.

Climbing secret discovered ! Niceonetom, you were right, I do have biopace chainrings on the road bike. According to Sheldon
    The mountain biker particularly benefits, because the Biopace design somewhat smooths out the delivery of power to the rear wheel. In climbing on loose surfaces, the limiting factor is often traction. The rear wheel tends to break loose during the maximum power phase of the pedal stroke, wasting most of the cyclist's energy. The Biopace chainwheel works like a storage device, storing power during the main power phase of the stroke as the feet accelerate, then delivering the stored power to the rear wheel during the "dead center" phase when the cranks are near vertical. The same average amount of power is delivered to the rear wheel, but in a smoother, less pulsating flow. All the energy is used to propel the bike forward, without the high-power peaks spinning the rear tire or causing the bike to "wheelie."

Advertisement