Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rapidshare - file sharing

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Anti wrote: »
    Ive tried rapidshares and didnt really like it, probably because i couldn't find a decent download manager.

This is my problem with it, when I can't copy and paste a file split into 20 parts into a program. It becomes tedious, and easier to juts torrent.

The only program that supports doing that with rapidshare links doesn't work on my PC. It just keeps resetting the wait timer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

vibe666 wrote: »
    a lot of torrent sites have an rss feed on them (look for an orange rss logo) and mostof the major torrent clients (such as utorrent or azureus) have rss scrapers either built in or available as a plugin.

then you just spend s few minutes setting up filters to grab your regular downloads and within a few minutes of anything getting caught in the filter it will automatically be added to your queue and downloaded.

not sure about utorrent, but Azureus also has a few plugins which are able to add a http(s) front end that you can serve from your PC on any random port you like and combined with either a static ip address or dyndns redirection gives you flawless remote control without having to use something bandwidth sapping like logmein or similar sending your full desktop over the net.

i can use this http front end to add/remove/start/stop/pause torrents as and when i want.

i feel like a bible salesman in mecca. :D

uTorrent also has the built in GUI via plugin, works great. See something during the day and you can remotely add it to your client and the file will be downloaded and waiting for you when you get home.

I tried Rapidshare for a month and saw no value in it for me, that's not to say others may find value in it. But at the moment I'm very happy with torrents and RSS feeds. I come home in the evening and my files are there waiting for me, I never have to remember when something might be available and never have to go looking for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

This is my problem with it, when I can't copy and paste a file split into 20 parts into a program. It becomes tedious, and easier to juts torrent.

The only program that supports doing that with rapidshare links doesn't work on my PC. It just keeps resetting the wait timer

Free Download Manager, Ctrl+Shift+V

if you have vista there;s official tools on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

grasshopa wrote: »

if you have vista there;s official tools on the site

Awesome, didn't think any of those took in usernames and passwords. Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Firefox and FlashGot addon is all you need, select all links, right click "FlashGot Selection" and all are added to the download manager of your choice, also you need a premium rapidshare account in order to download multiple files similtaniously

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I use the firefox add on Linky. It can open multiple links at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

grasshopa wrote: »

+1, fantastic program

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I've found jDownloader very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

If the Firefox extention DownThemAll had the ability to accept multiple links it would be perfect.

Instead I just use the below code, save to a file called makelinks.htm, and have it bookmarked.

When I've a pile of rapidshare links copied to the clip board, I just paste them into the textarea, click make links, then right click on the page and let downthemall do the rest.
    <style>
    #links {width:300px; height:300px}
    </style>
    <script>
    function makelinks()
    {
    	var links = document.getElementById('links').value;
    	var linkArr=links.split("\n");
    	document.open();
    	for each(var link in linkArr)
    	{
    		document.write("<a href='" +link+ "'>" +link+ "</a><br>");
    	}
    	document.close();

}
    </script>

<div>
    <button id="make" onClick="makelinks()">Make Links</button>
    </div>
    <div>
    <textarea id="links" wrap="off"></textarea>
    </div>

If the Firefox extention DownThemAll had the ability to accept multiple links it would be perfect.

Instead I just use the below code, save to a file called makelinks.htm, and have it bookmarked.

When I've a pile of rapidshare links copied to the clip board, I just paste them into the textarea, click make links, then right click on the page and let downthemall do the rest.
    <style>
    #links {width:300px; height:300px}
    </style>
    <script>
    function makelinks()
    {
    	var links = document.getElementById('links').value;
    	var linkArr=links.split("\n");
    	document.open();
    	for each(var link in linkArr)
    	{
    		document.write("<a href='" +link+ "'>" +link+ "</a><br>");
    	}
    	document.close();

}
    </script>

<div>
    <button id="make" onClick="makelinks()">Make Links</button>
    </div>
    <div>
    <textarea id="links" wrap="off"></textarea>
    </div>

FlashGot is a handy extension I mentioned earlier works fine with DTA :), just select all links and flashgot them to be added to DTA

Nick

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Internet Download Manager
    or
    Flashget + Flashgot Firefox Extension

Once you get an RS premium account you will rarely use torrents or usenet ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Newsgroups are certainly the way forward, everyone i know thats on them finds theem fantastic, but not for me. My filesharing costs me 0€ a year, and i plan on keeping it that way.
    Agree about the Newsgroups. Rapidshare works out cheaper, so I'll stay with that, but Newsgroups are the way to go. Once I figure out a cheap host, a cheap searcher, etc, I'll go for the Newsgroups, mainly as all the stuff is released to there before it goes on RS.com, or torrents. Also, I'd say you can RSS Newsgroups, as they have been around for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

My filesharing

This is why people use rapidshare/newsgroups. People don't want to upload as the repercussions for uploading are a hell of a lot worse for those who download.

the_syco wrote: »
    Agree about the Newsgroups. Rapidshare works out cheaper, so I'll stay with that, but Newsgroups are the way to go. Once I figure out a cheap host, a cheap searcher, etc, I'll go for the Newsgroups, mainly as all the stuff is released to there before it goes on RS.com, or torrents. Also, I'd say you can RSS Newsgroups, as they have been around for a long time.

well thats not true, and content wise i'd say RS blows usenet out of the water

well thats not true, and content wise i'd say RS blows usenet out of the water

Actually, generally Scene releases are made to usenet before going to torrents/rapidshare etc... But there are uploaders who upload the files minutes later to the likes of torrents/rapidshare etc so its sometimes only a gap of 20minutes or so

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

yoyo wrote: »
    Actually, generally Scene releases are made to usenet before going to torrents/rapidshare etc...
    What he said.

yoyo wrote: »
    Actually, generally Scene releases are made to usenet before going to torrents/rapidshare etc... But there are uploaders who upload the files minutes later to the likes of torrents/rapidshare etc so its sometimes only a gap of 20minutes or so

Nick

He said "All the stuff"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if we're going to get pedantic about it, it's distributed internally to other scene members first, who would then pass it on via their preferred method of alternate distribution, be it RS, newsgroups, torrents or private/public ftp servers. i think it's safe to say that it all pretty much hits everything outside of the scene at more or less at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Whats the best way to pay for a rapidshare or newsgroup account? paypal?
    I presume if you were being bold and downloading copyrighted stuff and there ever is a crackdown on rs they can just get ips used on your account and try and go after yer isp if they couldnt get the info off paypal

Scruff wrote: »
    Whats the best way to pay for a rapidshare or newsgroup account? paypal?
    I presume if you were being bold and downloading copyrighted stuff and there ever is a crackdown on rs they can just get ips used on your account and try and go after yer isp if they couldnt get the info off paypal

I doubt that would ever happen but if it did, they'd probably only go after the big uploaders

I use paypal

• Advertisement
Advertisement