Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rapidshare - file sharing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Rapidshare is fail. Get onto Giganews + newzbin, it's ftw. It's obviously more expensive but you can get one with no download limit of any sort which means you can download till you've filled your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i still don't get the rapidshare thing, i've never needed it and i download over 100-150gb most months these days (torrenting).

it was a little slow when 3mbps was the thing, but once i got the 7.6mbps upgrade everything was more than fast enough and now i've got ntl 20mbps it's stupidly fast but even with the 7.6mbps dsl i can't see why anyone would pay extra to download stuff that you can get just as easily for free. :confused:

maybe i'm missing something, but it's a paid for service that still restricts your bandwidth and limits what you can download?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

torrents are fine for new stuff with loads of seeds but if you want something a bit different you can be waiting ages. With RS you don't have to depend on someone seeding it right at that moment and you know you're always going to get full speed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

vibe666 wrote: »
    i still don't get the rapidshare thing, i've never needed it and i download over 100-150gb most months these days (torrenting).

it was a little slow when 3mbps was the thing, but once i got the 7.6mbps upgrade everything was more than fast enough and now i've got ntl 20mbps it's stupidly fast but even with the 7.6mbps dsl i can't see why anyone would pay extra to download stuff that you can get just as easily for free. :confused:

maybe i'm missing something, but it's a paid for service that still restricts your bandwidth and limits what you can download?

As an I.T. trained professional I can tell you that I find the advantages of services like Rapidshare/Megashare/etc vastly outweigh the torrenting.

For a start the speed downloading is always much greater, much more consistent in speed over time, more secure, safer, less wrong files, less corrupt files, etc.

Evvery time I get a call for help to clear a system of viruses, the first question I ask is "Do you or your kids have installed Limewire/Bearshare/etc?"
    85% of the time at least, the answer is "Yes"

I HATE the peer to peer crap. It's riddled with virus crap, much slower download speed-wise, hit and miss in regards to finding items, etc.

There are sites on the net that will give you everything that you want.
    They offer your items through the file downloading services and are way better for the above reasons alone.

Torrents are fine as a last resort but I consider using them as to be scrapng the bottom of a barrel when all other options have failed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Rapidshare is fail. Get onto Giganews + newzbin, it's ftw. It's obviously more expensive but you can get one with no download limit of any sort which means you can download till you've filled your computer.

Its actually quite a good service, for a tenner extra you can buy 100gig traffic which is fairly decent, newsgroups arnt always the best for finding older/rarer stuff due to binary retention limits,

Nick

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    As an I.T. trained professional I can tell you that I find the advantages of services like Rapidshare/Megashare/etc vastly outweigh the torrenting.

For a start the speed downloading is always much greater, much more consistent in speed over time, more secure, safer, less wrong files, less corrupt files, etc.
    sorry, but if that's how you feel then you're just doing it wrong.

as a trained IT professional myself (but lets not get into a p1ssing contest) it's not at all hard to find a well seeded torrent of pretty much anything I'm looking for and sticking to sites i know and trust I don't have any problems with virus's, speed or wrong files and thanks to transport encryption, an ip blocklist and a decent firewall i don't have any issues with safety or security either and have never had any problems with corruption thanks to built in hash checking.

between all that and having an rss feed set up for all my regular downloads most of the stuff i get on a weekly basis has normally started and finished before I even wake up in the morning. additionally, in the past when I've gone on a downloading rampage I've been able to clear 10gb overnight between around 9-10pm and 7am, something which i'm pretty sure you couldn't do with rapidshare.

i do agree with you about limeware and bearshare etc. though, and i wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole, but since neither of them are torrent clients I don't see how it's relevant?

yoyo wrote: »
    Its actually quite a good service, for a tenner extra you can buy 100gig traffic which is fairly decent, newsgroups arnt always the best for finding older/rarer stuff due to binary retention limits,

Nick

Giganews retention is the best of the lot tbh and have never really had a problem finding anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Ive been using http://ifile.it/

for few years now

they are reliable and i still have files on the system from 2005 :)

and of course there's usenet :p

Giganews retention is the best of the lot tbh and have never really had a problem finding anything.

240 Days retention is actually good for a newsgroups provider, most are less than half that or were...

Nick

sorry, but if that's how you feel then you're just doing it wrong....

I can't see how but then I am blessed with a very fast speed provider. I get 8 megs connection.

I've tried many a torrent on the same net available speed and not one download has even gone a quarter of the way speed-wise that I have gotten with net download services as Rapidshare, etc which take advantage of the fullest download speed one might have.

If one has a good torrent service/function then stick with it.
    JUST for myself, I try to avoid them 99% of the time for the aforementioned reasons already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've given up torrenting in favour or rapidshare, I just hate seeding. I only use torrents for what I cant get on rapidshare

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've given up torrenting in favour or rapidshare, I just hate seeding. I only use torrents for what I cant get on rapidshare
    +1

Nick

+1

Same here. That said I know of some of the best sites in the world so that helps.
    For those not knowing where to look, I can understand the ease of torrents to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

+1

With a 6 meg connection I can download a gigabyte in half an hour without having to leave my pc on to seed at 512kbs for 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Use rapidshare myself. Torrents, I found that unless you were part of X group, you could be waiting a while for a, erm... "distro of linux" ;) Or I'd have to keep a certain ratio to download stuff. With rapidshare, you just download. New distro of Batnix came out, was using it within 5 hours (3meg connection).

Added benifit that it would be all on a central server, you wouldn't need to join anything else. There has been virsus on rapidshare content, but most forums see the virus, tell each other about the virus, and the file gets deleted from rapidshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Another +1 for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 fistikuffs

in the past when I've gone on a downloading rampage I've been able to clear 10gb overnight between around 9-10pm and 7am, something which i'm pretty sure you couldn't do with rapidshare.

Eh not true, just a couple of weeks ago i downloaded 17gb between 12am and 7am from rapidshare no hassle. And i didn't have to seed it either

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

fistikuffs wrote: »
    Eh not true, just a couple of weeks ago i downloaded 17gb between 12am and 7am from rapidshare no hassle. And i didn't have to seed it either
    Couldn't agree more. When in college I'd have 4 files downloading at a time and the connection would generally average at around 10MBps. I don't know if it was the college connection or rapidshare that was the bottleneck there. Could be either.

Same here. With Rapidshare day or night, I can download a gig in 20/25 minutes max. Try doing that with torrents. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Newsgroups > *

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Same here. With Rapidshare day or night, I can download a gig in 20/25 minutes max. Try doing that with torrents. Good luck.

Torrents, even highly seeded ones cannot compare to rapidshare with firefox/flashgot and orbit as your d/l manager. 500 kbs/s consistently on my connection

how did you manage that? someone earlier in the thread was talking about a 2.5gb per day limit up to a max of 10gb rolled over in a 4 day period. how much would you have to pay for speeds like that?

look, I know i'm fighting a losing battle here, (i might as well be in the christianity forum telling them there's no god! :D) and i'm probably in a minority with a 20mbps/1.5mbps cable connection, but all i'm saying is, I've tried rapidshare a few times in the past (yes, even the premium one once, and as recently as a couple of months ago) and I'm even a member of a decent site with RS links but i can't justify paying more for premium access, esp. when it would make no difference to what i'm able to download.

i can download as many linux distro's as i like much faster than i can actually do anything with them and my torrent seeding ratio is over 1.5 without even trying so what could RS even offer me that's worth paying for?

can rapget hook into an rss feed and download all the latest linux disto's within minutes of them being released? does it have a plugin with a web gui that allows you to manage your downloads remotely when you're not at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have my rapidshare account for the last year so was still on the original 5gb plan.
    Didn't download everyday so I've a daily limit of over 10GB every day until next April.
    Hate torrents..not sure if Eircom are throttling them or something but on rs I get my full 7.6megs.
    It also looks like Rapidshare doesn't go out faster than 10meg as my boss is on a 20meg package and the max he gets with a premium account is also 10megs.

how did you manage that? someone earlier in the thread was talking about a 2.5gb per day limit up to a max of 10gb rolled over in a 4 day period. how much would you have to pay for speeds like that?

Ok well i won't deny that you can't achieve those type of speeds with out fronting up some cash, in this case extra cash. I think it's €10 for 100gb/month but i can't really remember as i was a a bit pissed at the time. But i'm paying for a service and it provides. I'm on a 7.6mbs connection and cannot get torrent speeds close to what i get on RS, and yes my port forwarding is correctly set-up, i do get great speeds on well seeded torrents on one or two of the good private trackers i use.
    i can download as many linux distro's as i like much faster than i can actually do anything with them and my torrent seeding ratio is over 1.5 without even trying so what could RS even offer me that's worth paying for?

Infairness if all you are downloading is linux distros then torrents is certainly your best bet. I don't think paying rapidshare to download linux distros encapsulates the whole linux philosophy;). Distrubuting linux distros is one area where torrents makes great sense.

Infairness if all you are downloading is linux distros then torrents is certainly your best bet. I don't think paying rapidshare to download linux distros encapsulates the whole linux philosophy;). Distrubuting linux distros is one area where torrents makes great sense.
    lol, i was trying to keep things legitimate sounding and within the rules of the forum. i assumed everyone would know the true nature of my peg legged, eye patched, parrot having, buccaneering philosophy. :D

although I do give most linux distro's a go to be fair, so it's not a total lie. ;)

Those who are on rapidshare, is there an application that manages the download? ie downloads, unpack, deletes rar file.

I was originally on limewire (:P), then torrents up until about 18 months ago, tried rapidshare for a month and swiftly moved onto newsgroups (giganews server with newzbin for nzb's).

The program I use for newsgroups, sabnzd, does all that I mentioned above and will also arrange the finished items to go to designated folders. So if you download say, a linux distro which would be under the "apps" genre on the site, you can preset Sabnzbd to put that into a specific folder. It's great when you're trying to seperate stuff like TV/Movies/Documents. It all sounds rather lazy but it would be a serious pain in the hoop to go back to something like rapidshare/torrents if I had to do all that crap myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

zAbbo wrote: »
    Newsgroups > *

Thats what i use to think, until i got premium RS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

RS manager - Download+Upload
    Flashget - Download
    Internet Download Manager - Download

I use flashget
    Those who are on rapidshare, is there an application that manages the download? ie downloads, unpack, deletes rar file.

I was originally on limewire (:P), then torrents up until about 18 months ago, tried rapidshare for a month and swiftly moved onto newsgroups (giganews server with newzbin for nzb's).

The program I use for newsgroups, sabnzd, does all that I mentioned above and will also arrange the finished items to go to designated folders. So if you download say, a linux distro which would be under the "apps" genre on the site, you can preset Sabnzbd to put that into a specific folder. It's great when you're trying to seperate stuff like TV/Movies/Documents. It all sounds rather lazy but it would be a serious pain in the hoop to go back to something like rapidshare/torrents if I had to do all that crap myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I prefer the torrents. I have them set up with RSS feeds and never have to go looking for files. They are always there in the morning when I wake up. Tis the biz!

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    I prefer the torrents. I have them set up with RSS feeds and never have to go looking for files. They are always there in the morning when I wake up. Tis the biz!
    ditto, same here imho, but everyone seems to love their RS, so there's no telling anyone differently. :(

add to that a web based gui to manage my downloads remotely (start, stop, add, remove torrents) from work (or even my mobile phone) and there's just nothing can compare to it.

Advertisement