Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hit 80 yet?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Lvl 74 at the moment. Hoping to hit 76/77 this weekend and then 80 by xmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ding 80, at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

gratz!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Gratz to all you lvl 80's out there so far. :):)

Only lvl 77 at the moment due to college exams. Can't wait for some free time to get to 80 and start raiding soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im back playing after around 150days out of WOW. Rolled a DK and have him at lvl 57. Its crazy on how i don't know how to play the game after my break. Hope to get all my keys sorted this weekend so i can get back into it. But this time round i will only be spending a few hours a week playing. No more raids each night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Aye ive done the same. Pre patch i was raiding 7 nights a week just to clear all the content. And failed swp miserably. Less is more in this game as you enjoy what time you spend and dont get pissed off so much.

/ragequit QQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Got lvl 76 with my DK last night. Took a break from levelling to level up Mining and Skinning instead plus getting flight paths in the higher level area's on the normal mount (IceCrown was lots of fun doing that !)
    Oh and Cooking (340 atm) and fishing (200) levelled up a bit also.

In the process of levelling skinning and mining plus playing the AH, I've made over 10,000 gold in the last week, enough to get the 300 riding skill, bear mount and gold put by for cold weather flying (can't wait for that!).
    Enough also to give the missus the gold to get her DK the 300 riding skill.

Been buying the Titanium Ore's from the AH for 15 to 20g each, then smelting them into bars (two ores per bar) and selling the bars for 80g each :D Put 60 Titanium bars up yesterday and they were all sold within a couple of hours ! That plus the Titansteel bars are still selling for between 300g to 500g each, which is very nice.

Mining and skinning though, seriously good for making gold. I just make the Borean Leather into the normal +12 Stam Armor patches on my Hunter and they're still selling for 20g each.
    I put 103 armor patches up yesterday evening and when I checked this morning there was only 40 or so left to sell. Nobody else seems to be making them, dunno why as it's such an easy way to make gold.

One tip I'd give any other skinners, the spiders at the Argent Crusade flightpath area in IceCrown seem to have a very high drop rate for Arctic Furs - which sell for at least 60g (on my server anyway) and usually you'll get 80G + for them. There seems to always be a lot of people killing those spiders (must be for some higher level quest I can't get yet) so great place to just run around skinning, rarely having to even kill anything yourself.

Went back to Blood spec on the DK and dual weilding for fun, seriously good dps and have been stacking +hit (280 atm) to take on the level 80's in IceCrown with ease as I was running around farming the Titanium nodes there.

Am off work for the Christmas from Thursday this week until January so would hope to get 80 by the weekend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Agreed with the skinning, stack of borean makes me about 35-40g, armor patches i sell for 60-80g, artic fur for 100-120g. Been trying to level mining myself... God its boring running around ungoro. I got all the miners in the guild to use that gatherer mod, very handy the way we have it setup to only share with other guild members. Also almost got that pyro drake last night, was following its flight path for a few hours but someone beat me to it :( Also free mount in icecrown is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Just dinged 80 today. :D:D

Even managed to get three heroics done too. Judging by the few previous posts, I should be out levelling my skinning.
    Might get some Frostweave cloth on my travels to level tailoring too. Would really love to get the epic flying skill. Makes me sad flying on my 60% mount. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Finally dinged 80 with my DK on Saturday morning, suffering from a massive hangover at the time it happened unexpectedly from discovery xp. Have decided to tank for a while, just need a couple more upgrades and I'll be ready for heroics. Finding healers for normal instances is turnig out to be a big problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Thats because healers tend to skip normals and jump straight into heroics, whether they're ready for them or not.

Hell, pretty much everybody just jumps straight into heroics.

Your best bet, is to just spec for dps and try gather a semi-competent dps gear and jump into heroics. Grab tank gear where you can and then respec fore pure tanking. It's pretty damn difficult to reach crit immune, even just for heroics, for everybody but it's made even more difficult for DKs with the a shield and the enchant it provides.

Luckily that is being made easier to overcome in 3.0.8 you can a kickass DK rune enchant and craftable tanking 2-handers. But you'll still likely need some semi decent gear and enchants to reach 535 defense to be crit immune for heroics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

If I remember right, I can get 531 defense on my DK with just craftables and a green 2h axe from some quest reward. I'm not interested in tanking with the DK though, coming from once being a tank with my warrior, the lack of a shield just frightens me :eek:

Was raiding Naxx with a PUG and the OffTank was a DK, good guy, had the skill and barely decent gear. He had the required amount of +def but he still got beaten to hell at times and no way could he do as well as the warrior. He was though using 2 x one handers, which I have read on elitistjerks or somewhere is just no way as good as a decent 2 hander (due to something about parry chance being better with a 2hander).

I wouldn't worry too much about normal instances, you can jump straight into Heroics as DPS with your DK. Take up mining/Blacksmithing and make yourself some decent gear, you'll pick up better along the way from heroics (or from the emblems you'll build up).
    Spec into Unholy (with some points in Blood) and you'll easily push out 1800 DPS in Heroics/Raids. As your gear slowly upgrades it just gets better and better.

Here's my own DK, no way am I geared the best, mostly craftables but I'm pushing out 2300 dps on average in Heroics or Raids at the moment.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chamber+of+Aspects&n=Ihavabigdk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

The reason a 2-hander is better compared to 2x1-handers is because every time an NPC or player parries another NPC or players attack, they get what is called parry haste. Which means the time remaining before their next attack is reduced significantly. This is the reason that parry is a more expensive stat than dodge. It is also the reason that DPS are expected to attack from behind, so a boss cannot parry you and therefore hit the tank 2-3 times very quickly and most likely killing him ;)

Obviously, with 2x1-handers which hit significantly faster, your chance to be parried and indeed, the chance that you will be parried several times in a row, is increased and therefore the more likely the chance of you being "parry gibbed". Which is bad :p

But the bonus tank/expertise stats you can get off of 2x1-handers is obviously good. At least until the tanking 2-handers come out.

But the biggest difficulties with DK tanks that I've seen, is just how frustratingly difficult they are to get crit immune means they tend to suffer quite alot with hit points. Combined with the fact, at least at the moment, they are heavily reliant on cooldowns to stay efficient tanks.

But currently, they scale scarily well. Magic avoidance/mitigation better than even paladins and warriors. Armour and HP scaling similar to druids with plenty of cooldowns and twitch tools for surviving enrages, berserk timers and other gimmicks makes DKs pretty damn great tanks, once they get crit immune and have a decent health pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

dinged 80 day before xmas eve!
    W00t! :D

Now, can someone show me the way to the heroics please :D

Any of yiz alliance on hellfire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Got a fair bit of epic gear now! Time to start grinding PVP gear. I have the deadly gladiator's gloves and hateful gladiator's boots. Not sure what next.. Maybe pants. Get 50 resil bonus for 2 pieces.. Hateful boots don't count :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭briambi

Blowfish wrote: »
    Hit 80 last night, was only half way through ZD too, so lots of quest money left for me. Levelling definitely sped up with Cold Weather Flying.
    ah this takes me back.... horde now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭briambi

boggiemanx wrote: »
    im 3 bars from 76, getting harder, but i use a good addon that shows you where too pickup your quests and info about them, levels layout.. not questhelper, if you want me too share it pm me, i cant put it here on board. ;)
    ah this takes me back, horde now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

are you alliance now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Dont you have badges to be getting?

Advertisement