Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Hi went out this afternoon and bought the Samsung in Harvey Normans for €399. Very disappointed. Set up stand and connected sat receiver but when i put in the antenna no signal or weak signal was the message that appeared on the screen. Now satelitte is working fine but no RTE's Brought another TV into the room and it works fine with the antenna connection. Will have to take it backon Tuesday Should this be replaced or will I have to wait for a repair job. :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hi went out this afternoon and bought the Samsung in Harvey Normans for €399. Very disappointed. Set up stand and connected sat receiver but when i put in the antenna no signal or weak signal was the message that appeared on the screen. Now satelitte is working fine but no RTE's Brought another TV into the room and it works fine with the antenna connection. Will have to take it backon Tuesday Should this be replaced or will I have to wait for a repair job. :confused:
    I'm assuming you're in a DTT area? Did the analogue channels tune in?

If TV is faulty, it should be replaced, as it was faulty on initial switch-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is the Sony Model: KDL40W5500U MPEG4 compatible? According to Power City it is but on the Sony website they say it's MPEG2.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

200motels wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before. Is the Sony Model: KDL40W5500U MPEG4 compatible? According to Power City it is but on the Sony website they say it's MPEG2.
    Yes, it is.

• Advertisement

Thanks Byte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Byte, would you advise,please, if that tv on offer in Aldi next Thursday will pick up Irish DTT. It has a BVB-T tuner, but I can't fiond out if its mpeg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

LG 32LH4000
    Full HD 1080p, MPEG4, MPEG2, MHEG 5, VHF & UHF tuner
    Gread pics
    Great teletext
    Great Digital text
    I am picking up all 6 UK muxs fron Divis, Belfast, and 1 mux from RTE Cairn Hill, Longford.
    overall, I am very happy :D
    bought the TV from Richers Sounds £449.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Saw these on a "priced to clear" sticker in Currys Newry, yesterday for £599.

Receives Irish DTT and has Freesat tuner as well.

Only point to note if you are interested is that it only has a UHF analogue tuner.

In the Argos UK catalogue for £783

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0871167/Trail/searchtext%3EFREESAT.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Souriau wrote: »
    LG 32LH4000
    Full HD 1080p, MPEG4, MPEG2, MHEG 5, VHF & UHF tuner
    Gread pics
    Great teletext
    Great Digital text
    I am picking up all 6 UK muxs fron Divis, Belfast, and 1 mux from RTE Cairn Hill, Longford.
    overall, I am very happy :D
    bought the TV from Richers Sounds £449.99

Souriau as a matter of interest how far are you from Belfast as this signal is still weak in most areas of the south.

• Advertisement

All quality TVs dvd recorders electrical equipment is automatically covered for a free replacement (not repair) within 2 years of purchase under current E.U. regulations.:D

Don't allow shops to fob you off with maufacturers 12months guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

John Dough wrote: »
    Souriau as a matter of interest how far are you from Belfast as this signal is still weak in most areas of the south.

I am in Co Down,
    Divis transmitter, Belfast 30 miles from me. Grid Ref J286750
    Cairn Hill transmitter, Longford, 60 miles from me. Grid Ref N191838

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Souriau wrote: »
    I am in Co Down,
    Divis transmitter, Belfast 30 miles from me. Grid Ref J286750
    Cairn Hill transmitter, Longford, 60 miles from me. Grid Ref N191838

Sorry I am in Cork south of ireland. and sent a text to Samsung direct which they replied to with about 12 points to follow. I know that I had gone through some of the points but when it came to Nationality I chose other rather than U.K. which according to Samsung was wrong and dont select Plug and Play was the other suggestion., Select Eventualy, I got it up and running but now I have to connect the aldi offer of €8.95 connector to scart as the Samsung Le B 450 has only one scart connector and I have A Satellite decodeer and A VHR to record programs and a DVD to play DVD's for my Granchildren and record. Am thinking of removing this toLG 3000, Also need to know what i should do:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I bought the Sony Model: KDL40W5500U TV with MPEG4 and I have to say the digital tuner is excellent, picture quality from the four Irish channels is just as good as sky. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Anyone know if this
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/61/36/xx/8/3/criteresn_BA00001736-BV00123314.html
    will work on Irish DTT even though it appears to be designed for the French market?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

yes it seems to be able for the 'HD' service.

French website for 50" TV version See: Tuner DVB Numérique, oui [DVB-T/DVB-T (H.264)]
    Only one thing, it's not a full HD TV as in 1920 x 1080p, it's just a 1366 x 768 although it says it can handle the inputs...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

peking97 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/61/36/xx/8/3/criteresn_BA00001736-BV00123314.html
    will work on Irish DTT even though it appears to be designed for the French market?

Yep, it claim "TNT HD" which is compatable

Might not support Digital Text.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Anyone have experience with the Sony 52W5500?

According to Komplett it has an MPEG-4 tuner and is suitable for the Irish market, but according to Sony it has an MPEG-2 tuner and isn't.

I'm ideally looking for a 50" or bigger, so any recommendations based on current models?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

doubtfir3 wrote: »

According to Komplett it has an MPEG-4 tuner and is suitable for the Irish market, but according to Sony it has an MPEG-2 tuner and isn't.

I'm ideally looking for a 50" or bigger, so any recommendations based on current models?

Tks

All the 5500 have MPEG4...most if not all 2009 model Sony's have MPEG4. You have to go back to the V4000 range to find models that dont have it. Even previous models of W/X/Z4000 have it. All 4500/5000/5500 models have it far as I can tell.

Sony dont specify MPEG4 on the Irish site as its a copy of the UK site and MPEG4 is not relevant in the UK even though it is in the spec of the machine.

This particular model definitely has MPEG4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

doubtfir3 wrote: »

Tks

This is a top notch TV. The Z version of this is probably the best TV you can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Garmin

I have the Panasonic 42G10L,and I know that I can receive the MPEG4 SD Channels but I do not know if it has an MPEG 4 HD Tuner?
    Does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are no plans for HD DTT yet.
    HD DTT may use a separate DVB-t2 mux as it could be 4 years away. Nobody's box/TV does DVB-t2 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Garmin

I was under the impression that there were going to be HD broadcasts at launch in september and that they were only using SD for testing purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Garmin wrote: »
    I was under the impression that there were going to be HD broadcasts at launch in september and that they were only using SD for testing purposes

You might be confusing the MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 issues, they used the older UK MPEG-2 standard for some of the tests, but are going with the more recent MPEG-4 standard for the live system, when ever that happens.

But that does beg the question, if they're using MPEG-4 then why not go HD from the start and do away with the need to have separate HD variants? Even if no HD material is broadcast in the interim at least the infrastructure is there to implement it when need be. The receiver box would have SCART connections which would downscale the picture for conventional sets so compatibility wouldn't be a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Karsini wrote: »
    But that does beg the question, if they're using MPEG-4 then why not go HD from the start and do away with the need to have separate HD variants?

Bandwidth/running costs/lack of vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

what he says.
    Also HD takes x5 the space as SD, so need 2 to 3 Mux for PSB, and have less channels.

If they were not so fixated on a Commerical PayTV mux x3 and abandoned it, yes they could insist on HD from the start. ALL HD boxes downconvert for regular TVs and to start with they can simply upconvert 99.99% of programs so the cost to RTE would be insignificant if there is no PayTV operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sourpuss

I have a Cello tv with a built in mpeg-2 decoder as used in the north,will I be able to receive the tests from Truskmore, [ picture only ] with this? and when?.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

sourpuss wrote: »
    I have a Cello tv with a built in mpeg-2 decoder as used in the north,will I be able to receive the tests from Truskmore, [ picture only ] with this? and when?.

Afraid not - if it doesn't have MPEG-4 built in, you'll only pick up the radio stations that get broadcasted. (Even MPEG-4 isn't quite a guarantee, AFAIK but without it you have no chance).

• Advertisement

sourpuss wrote: »

They are now selling that brand in Tesco in the south so maybe it has mpeg4 tuner now ?? otherwise a suitable cam in the slot may do it.;)

Advertisement