Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

byte wrote: »
    Really? That's interesting. The same rule applies to Samsung too it seems with their new 2009 "B" range.

I am now the proud owner of the 19" Samsung B series (LE19B450) and the Philips 32" (32PFL5604H) both providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

Have to say that the Philips offer to boardsies (in the commercial interaction thread) is a great offer. (€499)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549229

(no affiliation with philips or richer sounds - ended up getting the tv from DID electrical as Philips shop didnt have it in stock..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How is that 19" Samsung for scaling SD of the DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

RTE1 and RTE2 fit the screen perfectly. As far as I recall TV3 was also ok but I do remember TG4 only showing in 4:3 and I could not get it to go widescreen. Must check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I am now the proud owner of the philips 32" (32PFL5604H) both providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

What is your impression of the philips?

do you know if it supports 1080p / 24fps?
    What are the black levels like?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

200motels wrote: »
    Very good. Do 42" have the same features?

Can't find solid info, but presumably yes? I'm sure a call or email to RS in Belfast would confirm.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Would anyone be able to clarify if this tv is mpeg4 compatible:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE26B450C4-720p-Ready-Freeview/dp/B001UE8LUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243176600&sr=8-1

according to some sites its mpeg4 HD compatable and looks a fine tv and a good price too, i would definitely buy it if the Irish DTT service was available on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Any recommendations for a 42" LCD which is MPEG4, Freesat, Full HD, and refresh rate of 100htz.

The LG 42lf7700 ticks all those boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

STB wrote: »
    The LG 42lf7700 ticks all those boxes.
    Thanks.

STB wrote: »

cheers STB, seems to be great value that, i saw the 32" but unfortunately where the new tv is going i only have space for the 26". Would you or anyone else know if these are the cheapest MPEG4 TV's of this size or has anyone any other recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Your could have a look around pixmania for a "TNT HD" model. http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/1234189/art/samsung/televiseur-lcd-le26a466.html

But with a 26" TV you won't have the benefit of Full HD but only 720p whereas you can get Full HD with some 32" sets....unless there's 26" model out there that is full HD that I'm not aware of!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

I am now the proud owner of the 19" Samsung B series (LE19B450) and the Philips 32" (32PFL5604H) both providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

Have to say that the Philips offer to boardsies (in the commercial interaction thread) is a great offer. (€499)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549229

(no affiliation with philips or richer sounds - ended up getting the tv from DID electrical as Philips shop didnt have it in stock..)

But what did it cost you the 32" Saw philips shop were selling it to a boardie for €540 as Harvey was doing it for €585

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have a Samsung LE37B550 which works with DTT.

PQ is better direct via aerial, than via scart from my dtt humax test box (that's slightly irrelevant I guess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

A buddy brought over a Samsung LE32R74BDR from the UK.
    Any good for MPEG 4??
    Why don't manufacturer's display this online,or am I missing it somewhere?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

All the new samsung B series (LE__B___) for the model year 2009 are supporting mpeg4.
    The LE32R74BDR lcd is too old and doesn't support mepg4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

thanks max for the prompt reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Anyone here using a Samsung PS42A466 ?

The manual says it works with MPEG2. No mention of MPEG4 in the manual, but it's been working fine for me?

Anyway, there's a problem where the audio and video is out of sync for a while after changing channels with DTT. Has anyone else seen this?

It fixes itself after a few minutes (video freezes until audio catches up)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

It looks like you got the french samsung plasma model which is supporting mpeg4.
    You could try a firmware update if you don't got the latest one with your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

maxg wrote: »
    All the new samsung B series (LE__B___) for the model year 2009 are supporting mpeg4.
    The LE32R74BDR lcd is too old and doesn't support mepg4.

They can also have MKV/DivX/Xvid enabled if already not supported. This is really handy as you can use the USB connection.

Doe's this Sony KDL40S5500 - New Full HD 1080p BRAVIA LCD TV have MPEG 4 compatibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Doe's this Sony KDL40S5500 - New Full HD 1080p BRAVIA LCD TV have MPEG 4 compatibility?

On the sony website it says: Digital Terrestrial Tuner (MPEG-2)YES - as it specfically says MPEG2, you can take it that it doesn't decode MPEG4.

You may be able to put in a CAM like a Neotion CAM to decode the signal...perhaps someone else can enlighten you on which CAM you can use...you can also read this thread here

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Hi according to the Sony site its MPG2. (Google KDL40S5500)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, sadly Sony didn't see the same light as Samsung (who have MPEG4 tuners across the range), and don't have an MPEG4 tuner in the S-series.

Yup, sadly Sony didn't see the same light as Samsung (who have MPEG4 tuners across the range), and don't have an MPEG4 tuner in the S-series.
    Thanks for that. What 42" Samsung LCD would have MPEG 4 tuner?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Samsung don't do a 42" LCD AFAIK (except plasma), but see maxg's post.

All new Samsungs's LE__B___ models should have MPEG4 tuners.

Samsung don't do a 42" LCD AFAIK (except plasma), but see maxg's post.

All new Samsungs's LE__B___ models should have MPEG4 tuners.

Hi Harvey Norman has 32LE B 450 on sale for the weekend for €399. series 4. Only problem I see is that there is only 1 scart connection and 3 Hdmi. All my add ons are scart. Anybody any ideas on this TV

Its mpeg4, thats an excellent price, i think i'll get one myself, just buy a scart switcher for all your add ons, you can only use one at a time anyway! pixmania have it at €435 plus delivery or amazon have it at £349stg plus delivery only if you have a UK address.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/le32b450

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Hi Harvey Norman has 32LE B 450 on sale for the weekend for €399. series 4. Only problem I see is that there is only 1 scart connection and 3 Hdmi. All my add ons are scart. Anybody any ideas on this TV

I'd say theyre more or less identical to last years series 4 32" which was pretty solid. You probably wouldnt want or need much better PQ in a HD Ready set of that size. DTT tuner and all so not a bad price from Harveys to be fair.

Bummer only 1 scart though. I think its still a bit premature to be cutting numbers of scart sockets on sets. I mean most people will be using scart for their STB. Then i imagine most people would also have a DVD recorder or player and there would be a good chance that this would be scart as opposed to HDMI, not to mention games consoles and the such that use scart

That TV is definitely worth a look at 399€ from a shop IMO. Certainly better value at 400€ than a 22b450 fro about 300€

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody know how good the picture quality in real life is ?

Would this be usable as the PC monitor {ATI 4870 with DVI-HDMI adpt]?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

With fortuitous timing, Aldi have a scart switcher for 8.99 this Thursday:
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_9169.htm

Advertisement