Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

M7 – Limerick Shannon tunnel, 10km, due to open in winter 2010

Whoa, what? This is tracking to be completed July 2010, and officially September 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Did they get the landscaping done after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

wellbutty wrote: »
    Its fantastic to see how the motorway network is shaping up on OpenStreetMap. Apparently it'll take 2 hours to do Galway-Dublin now, anyone have a typical time for the old N6/N4 pre-motorway...3.5 hours?

Pre motorway the trip could take 4 hours plus and 3.5 hours was doing very well indeed. It Had all the following bottle necks ...loughrea ...ballinasloe ...athlone ...craughwell ....moate....kinnegad...lucan ...leixleap. and more im sure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Altreab wrote: »
    Pre motorway the trip could take 4 hours plus and 3.5 hours was doing very well indeed. It Had all the following bottle necks ...loughrea ...ballinasloe ...athlone ...craughwell ....moate....kinnegad...lucan ...leixleap. and more im sure :(

Not to forget the N4's very own "Newland's Cross" that was the Newcastle road junction. Until the N4 M50-Leixlip scheme was completed earlier this year, this one set of lights (now flyover) made it an excruciating experience to go west on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Did first trip on M6 From Loughrea to Galway today...brilliant road and have to agree on surface - it's really smooth.
    Now, what happens from Ballinasloe to Galway re speed limit? It would be sheer lunacy to reduce it to 80 KPH and would greatly penalise all of the residents in that general area who don't have to use the M6 on day-to-day basis. I think other local authorities in various similiar situations have kept the limits as they were i.e. 100 kph. Let us hope that Galway Co Co and its Councillors are capable of getting it right before wasting money putting up new speed limit signs. Need lots of support on this one!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

35x wrote: »
    Did first trip on M6 From Loughrea to Galway today...brilliant road and have to agree on surface - it's really smooth.
    Now, what happens from Ballinasloe to Galway re speed limit? It would be sheer lunacy to reduce it to 80 KPH and would greatly penalise all of the residents in that general area who don't have to use the M6 on day-to-day basis. I think other local authorities in various similiar situations have kept the limits as they were i.e. 100 kph. Let us hope that Galway Co Co and its Councillors are capable of getting it right before wasting money putting up new speed limit signs. Need lots of support on this one!!!!!!!

The old N6 between Athlone and Kinnegad is 80kph since the M6 opened. I'd expect it to be the same from Athlone to Galway along the old road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

35x wrote: »
    t would be sheer lunacy to reduce it to 80 KPH and would greatly penalise all of the residents in that general area

I don't know about you but it seems to me that the vast majority of users of this road felt that 80 KM/H was the appropriate speed for this road under 'normal'. This appears to be particularly true of the locals (on all N6 stretches).

My opinion is based on repeatedly waiting (and watching many others waiting) behind a car for ages, being prevented from overtaking them because of repeated apparent blocking maneuvers stopping me (and others) getting a clear view of the view of the road and speeding up only to see the car turn into a house or side road several miles later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Athlone to Ballinasloe, yes should be 100KMPH

Aughrim to Kilreekil? Are you well? That should be lowered further than its current 80KMPH. Anyone here over 25 will remember all the old "black spots" they had on this stretch to honour those killed on it. They had to remove them because ironically, there were so many black spots, that it was distracting drivers on the road

Loughrea to Galway, yeah im happy enough with 100KMPH

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

NFD100 wrote: »
    Absolutely. All the VMS should display this for a month or two. People would get the idea quick enough.

NRA should display these on all the routes.

Also, fog lights in fog only!
    TOTALLY AGREE!!! Wish I had some sort off BB gun for shooting out fog lights that are used in the wrong conditions!!!!:eek::D:cool::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Just wondering how bad was it at the M^/Briarhill/Galway Clinic junctions this morning? Usually travel up from Limerick but not today! Was predicting absolute mayhem with this new round about. Just wondering if im right? Also wondering if it makes the old Dublin road through merlin park better or worse????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭brainy_neuron

Passed thru the roundabout on Saturday around 2 or 3 (coming from N18) and had no problems. One car in front of me and we waited for one car to pass from the N/M6 and then we passed thru no problems. Traffic leading up to Headford Rd shopping centre roundabout however was baad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

kiwipower wrote: »
    Just wondering how bad was it at the M^/Briarhill/Galway Clinic junctions this morning? Usually travel up from Limerick but not today! Was predicting absolute mayhem with this new round about. Just wondering if im right? Also wondering if it makes the old Dublin road through merlin park better or worse????

Came through at 9.20 this morning, no traffic at all. Lets hope it stays like that.
    Hard to tell at the moment with people on holidays. I think it will be later january before we see a pattern

Passed thru the roundabout on Saturday around 2 or 3 (coming from N18) and had no problems. One car in front of me and we waited for one car to pass from the N/M6 and then we passed thru no problems. Traffic leading up to Headford Rd shopping centre roundabout however was baad!!

Christmas and all that.. Even then there was only a 15 min delay from Motorway to Headford Rd SC carpark, and that includes parking. Hardly brutal..

Average day should be grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Whoa, what? This is tracking to be completed July 2010, and officially September 2010.
    The dates in the IT article are the fantasy ones from the NRA site. They are all estimates from project kick-off and are never adjusted as time goes on.
    TOTALLY AGREE!!! Wish I had some sort off BB gun for shooting out fog lights that are used in the wrong conditions!!!!:eek::D:cool::D:D
    Actually, you are supposed to have fog lights on all the time. It's been proven abroad to be safer. That's why they have signs that ask you to do it.
    tech2 wrote: »
    The Irish Times have produced a better article on the M6 opening including other scheme projected openings:
    That really annoys me - why did they get a priest out to bless it? Is this the middle ages? I don't want to see that nonsense any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

spacetweek wrote: »
    The dates in the IT article are the fantasy ones from the NRA site. They are all estimates from project kick-off and are never adjusted as time goes on.

They're not fantasy, they're the official due dates (i.e. next year for the M6) and they SHOULD NOT change.

What you should be asking is why don't the NRA publish the estimated opening dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Travelled from Galway to Ballinasloe East today to get some pics of the new M6. There was just enough daylight to take photos eastbound, here are the best of them.

Approaching Doughiska RAB
    4203253565_8ab01fd7ce_b.jpg

N6 Doughiska to J19 Carnmore/Glenascaul
    4203254629_0f1148b3b7_b.jpg

Approaching J19 Carnmore/Glenascaul
    4204012512_323b02e4bd_b.jpg

Approaching J19 Carnmore/Glenascaul
    4203256821_7db64a0ed1_b.jpg

J19 Carnmore/Glenascaul
    4204014842_17a6bb5cab_b.jpg

Wide median eastbound between J19 and Athenry
    4203367909_b36193c4f1_b.jpg

Approaching J17 Athenry/Craughwell
    4203345475_59a3a088af_b.jpg

J17 Athenry/Craughwell
    4203380759_4cbc455155_b.jpg

Approaching J16 Portumna/Loughrea
    4204166752_fbb3e55e50_b.jpg

Toll plaza sign
    4204187886_e46e252c7b_b.jpg

Approaching toll plaza
    4204187916_aa4468dbc2_b.jpg

Toll plaza
    4204187926_60fc065497_b.jpg

Approaching J14 Ballinasloe East
    4204187934_42b02a722e_b.jpg

Thanks very much, Nath. The wall and the sign don't go too well together in the first picture! Is the entire length of G-B tolled, or does the toll just run between certain junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Furet wrote: »
    Thanks very much, Nath. The wall and the sign don't go too well together in the first picture! Is the entire length of G-B tolled, or does the toll just run between certain junctions?

There's just one toll station and that's on the mainline between j15 (Ballinasloe West) and J16 (Loughrea). Any journey not using this section will be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Only toll plaza is between the two junctions, no sliproad stuff here.

And yeah, did they seriously put that sign BEHIND the wall?

Furet wrote: »

West Ballinasloe-Loughrea tolled.

So you can get on at Galway and off at Loughrea for free

Similarly, can bypass Ballinasloe (East or West) free

What the toll (smartly) does is catch the long-distance traffic. Those on the short commute are not punished. So the toll is actually an "inter-urban toll", not a country village to country village toll.

If i was going to Aughrim, Kilreekil or even Loughrea town, i would most probably get off at Ballinasloe West. Not worth the toll if getting off earlier than Galway/Athenry

I hope the guys on the M7/M8 PPP scheme are taking notes. Not that ill ever have to use it most likely

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Between J15 and J16 only but that is a looooong way around unlike the old N4 past the Enfield toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Athlone to Ballinasloe, yes should be 100KMPH

Aughrim to Kilreekil? Are you well? That should be lowered further than its current 80KMPH. Anyone here over 25 will remember all the old "black spots" they had on this stretch to honour those killed on it. They had to remove them because ironically, there were so many black spots, that it was distracting drivers on the road

Loughrea to Galway, yeah im happy enough with 100KMPH

I should have included Aughrim to Kilreekil stretch to remain at 80kph...I recall the "crosses" campaign, which although distracting, certainly made the point and has made that stretch very much less an accident area in conjunction with the speed restriction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rrrkelly

sorry if this has been asked before but im travelling to galway next week and i live in dublin and would like to use this m6 motorway, what is the best way to access athlone from dublin? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

rrrkelly wrote: »
    sorry if this has been asked before but im travelling to galway next week and i live in dublin and would like to use this m6 motorway, what is the best way to access athlone from dublin? thanks

take your pick of 5 exits once you hit the athlone (n6) bypass:)

The junctions are here, rrrkelly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_motorway_%28Ireland%29#Junctions

The M(N)6 passes just to the north of the town and there are six exits that go to the town along the "N" section, which exit? depends on where in town you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Best way is to follow a map. You can buy one in most petrol stations or use an online resource like www.openstreetmap.org

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I hope the guys on the M7/M8 PPP scheme are taking notes. Not that ill ever have to use it most likely

The M8 will have a toll at Portlaoise and Fermoy.
    The M7 has the same toll at Portlaoise. Not sure if there's one then near Limerick.

The Portlaoise toll doesn't have them on the slip roads. To avoid, hop off at Portlaoise and go to Cullahill (M8) or Borris In Ossory (M7) and get back on.
    The Fermoy toll has the slip roads tolled. Bandits

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The M7 will have a toll on the Limerick tunnel, but none on the approach to Limerick itself (other than the Portlaoise toll).

You won't be able to get on/off the M8 at Cullahill once the Portlaoise-Cullahill section is finished. You could probably get on at Junction 3 if there's no tolls on the sliproads. You have to take the R433/R434 from Abbeyleix/Durrow to get to it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

[OT]
    The lights you are talking about are special daylight lights (and this by the way acourding to RSA is due to come into Ireland.) I also agree that it is much safer to have lights on during daylight hours. I follow the practice of Western Australia and drive with my dipped headlights on at all times.
    Good, do you have any links to that news? I also drive with dipped lights on all the time, just have to replace the bulbs more frequently :( [/OT]

btw not used the new road yet, may be some time before I need to go to Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement