Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thanks for this Kaisersoze,

I recall seeing somewhere before that one of those contractors newsletters mentioned an opening time of late 2009 even though the official date was later.

Have you head anything about the opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Might aswell get the ball rolling on this section.:)

I have a load of pics to upload at some stage of the works around Ballinasloe/Aughrim, particularly the Suck bridge, but probably too many to attach here. I'll upload to an album at some stage though.

To start here are 3 vids taken when they closed the navigation channel and brought in a 500 tonne monster crane to lift the cross beams onto the support columns. They're virtually unedited and raw so sorry bout the size and tedious moments.

Monday night crane setup-15th Sept (47Mb)

Tuesday beam lift-16th Sept (76.4Mb)

Tuesday contd... (45Mb)

It seems you have acces to the site. Post some pictures here. I'd love to see more pictures on this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By May 2009 the construction traffic will be largely using the new mainline instead of the local country roads to transport their materials .

The contractor has agreed to then spend €10m fixing up all the east Galway roads that they have wrecked in the past year and a half with the heavy plant .

The connacht tribune had an article on it this week. It appears that they have not complied with the condition in their contract that they should have done this on an ongoing basis , some of the roads east of Athenry are almost impassable right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The connacht tribune had an article on it this week. It appears that they have not complied with the condition in their contract that they should have done this on an ongoing basis , some of the roads east of Athenry are almost impassable right now .

Galway County council are receiving on average two claims a week due to damage that the contractors have done to local roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    By May 2009 the construction traffic will be largely using the new mainline instead of the local country roads to transport their materials .

The contractor has agreed to then spend €10m fixing up all the east Galway roads that they have wrecked in the past year and a half with the heavy plant .

Very true. Some of the potholes on the roads around Athenry are nearly like shallow graves!

Good to hear that they have pledged money to repair the local roads and that construction traffic will start using the mainline rather than local roads. A lot of the heavy earth movement work is done so there should be a reduction in construction traffic on local roads now anyhow.

A friend of mine who lives outside Athenry said that at one point there were 40 trucks going constantly all day every day up and down the road outside his house :eek:. No wonder the local roads are ****ed!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Forgot to mention, the local and regional ( and national ....now) roads to be fixed up properly are in the order of 50 miles length while the scheme itself is about 30 miles long ...x2 for the pedants :p

Would €200k a mile of a budget really repair these surfaces long term ?? . I assume an average 3m wide and 1600m a mile meaning that 5000sq m of road surface is a mile and averages out at €40 per square metre , essentially to rebuild them .

Seems a tad too low. I thought decent well built surfacing was €60 per square metre even on local roads ...boreens like.

Roscommon has a similar problem with the other M6 scheme east of Ballinasloe .

Just reading that article from The Tribune now and I'd be surprised if they resurface all 50 miles in question. Will probably resurface most of it but just carry out lesser repair work on sections which aren't severly damaged. Also, it says that the repair work will cost in excess of €10 million so all in all it could be round about €60 per square metre for the sections they resurface.

Was out around Athenry yesterday (Sunday) and there are some seriously big potholes on the regional/local roads around the area. One pothole on the R348 outbound from Athenry was so big that they had a traffic cone in it to warn people/stop them driving into it. Drive into that pothole and you probably wouldn't come back out - no joke!

Had someone knock on the door recently, puncture caused by hitting something, did what I could to help him out. Next day walked up the road and the "crater" was at least 15cm deep!

A bit OT as there is no construction traffic on this road..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Current status of the Suck bridge with work on the abutments well advanced.

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

• Advertisement

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

All taken on the western bank.

Right, at last I've uploaded most of my pics to a gallery. Still more to add but I'll try keep it updated.

http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/

Enjoy.:)

It looks like the overbridge near Ballydangen (between Athlone & Ballinasloe) will be in use before the day is out, they are in the process of marking the new road layout.

Still looking good for completion of the Athlone - Ballinasloe section in the summer.

Just the Athlone tie-in to start now.

It looks like the overbridge near Ballydangen (between Athlone & Ballinasloe) will be in use before the day is out, they are in the process of marking the new road layout.

Still looking good for completion of the Athlone - Ballinasloe section in the summer.

Just the Athlone tie-in to start now.

It opened this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The million dollar question.

If i use this road, can i get off it at Ballinasloe West Junction without having to pay the toll

If so, sweet!:D

If not, gash! :mad:

If i use this road, can i get off it at Ballinasloe West Junction without having to pay the toll

Yes you can.:)
    The toll is at Cappataggle, about 6 miles west of Ballinasloe.

If you're going the whole way to Galway I doubt it'd worth trying to avoid paying the toll. If you get off at junction West of Ballinasloe there's nowhere to get back on the M6 without going miles out of the way. You'd be taking a much more indirect route by taking the old N6 and dipping to the South for Loughrea; and if you wanted to get back on the M6 at Loughrea you'd have to go up the 7km link road.

Next junction is Athenry and to get here you'd have to turn off in Craughwell and go up the R347 (approx 6kms on a bad road).

Obviously the journey would take longer by trying to avoid the toll; but I think, because of the extra distance involved, you'd lose out on extra fuel consumption by trying to avoid it.

If you're coming from the East and your destination is Loughrea or possibly Craughwell it probably would be worth avoiding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Just came along on the Galway - Heuston train, still lots of work to do on this one. Couldnt get pics tho :(

Bridge over the railway near Athenry has a long way to go. Embankments are up on both sides but no covering. Sorta at the same general stage as the Suck bridge.

Out of curiosity, do bridges over railway lines require much/any closure of the railway line during construction?

It's disappointing that they haven't been making much progess on the Athenry railway underbridge and other such structures lately on the Galway-Ballinasloe scheme.

KevR wrote: »
    If you're going the whole way to Galway I doubt it'd worth trying to avoid paying the toll. If you get off at junction West of Ballinasloe there's nowhere to get back on the M6 without going miles out of the way. You'd be taking a much more indirect route by taking the old N6 and dipping to the South for Loughrea; and if you wanted to get back on the M6 at Loughrea you'd have to go up the 7km link road.

Or...

I could just get off there and drive the R446 the rest of the way. Happy days - The only town you go through the whole way is Craughwell - minus the Motorway traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

So, you complain on the other thread about the roads in your area making it hard to get all the way to Dublin in good time, yet when a motorway is built close to you, you moan about having to pay a toll and wish to continue using the old road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

As stated previously, it makes little financial sense to avoid these tolls when you factor in fuel/depreciation etc. And of course it depends on how important you value your time.

I dont really think that the old N6 is really that much worse for the car fuel/wear-wise than the Motorway will be. Especially given the fact that you can probably drive at reasonable speeds on it once the traffic is moved off of it. The road is wide 2 lane for the most-part and involves no roundabouts from West Ballinasloe to Oranmore if i remember correctly.

Depends whether you fancy putting the boot down on the Motorway. And if you do fancy that, your fuel consumption is excessive anyway. I really dont see the obsession people have with saving 10 minutes of their time at the expense of an extra €10 minimum. Grand if your on the way to work etc, but for a day or weekend out, i really couldnt be arsed feeding Eurolink/Direct Route's already overflowing coffers.

I realise that its a matter of choice, and good luck to those who use Motorway 100% of time. For me however, i'll only use it when Im running late

Now...next question. Should i even go there with this because i dread the answer... Will there be toll booths, or freeflow. 99% certain its the latter :o(

Furet wrote: »
    So, you complain on the other thread about the roads in your area making it hard to get all the way to Dublin in good time, yet when a motorway is built close to you, you moan about having to pay a toll and wish to continue using the old road?

Yes. I'm glad that we understand each other :pac:

Now...next question. Should i even go there with this because i dread the answer... Will there be toll booths, or freeflow. 99% certain its the latter :o(

Toll booths as far as I know.

nordydan wrote: »
    As stated previously, it makes little financial sense to avoid these tolls when you factor in fuel/depreciation etc. And of course it depends on how important you value your time.

When the Moate section opened, I noticed a significant drop in fuel consumption on the Athlone - Dublin commute.

Possibly as much as 3 litres fuel saved on a round trip.

When the Moate section opened, I noticed a significant drop in fuel consumption on the Athlone - Dublin commute.

Possibly as much as 3 litres fuel saved on a round trip.

Yes but.. You must factor in the fact that if you went through Moate/Kilbeggan now, you wouldnt be crawling due to the lesser amount of traffic.

When Ballinasloe and Craughwell open up a bit, it will be very possible to get through these places without needing to crawl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Loughrea is about 12km south of the m6 route, so you'll be going along 2 sides of a triangle to get to Galway. I'd say the speed limit will be reduced to 80 from Balinasloe to the N65 and from Loughrea to Galway, while the M6 will have 120 limit.

As I passed over the new bridge just before 1pm on saturday, there were lorrys and machinery tarmacing about 200m west of the bridge and there was a tarmac layer about the same distance east of the new bridge.

There was also some work going on at Aughrim where the M6 crosses the N6, still no bridge structure visible though.

There was also some work going on at Aughrim where the M6 crosses the N6, still no bridge structure visible though.

Serious work to do there. It's all bog. They've been digging that out for at least 6 weeks and no end in sight. I'd say t'll be along time before we see any structure appearing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The road has been diverted since last year, that's 11 weeks or so now. at least. I can't remember when it actually diverted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement