Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The Athlone Bypass N6, Athlone-Ballinasloe M6 and Lucan Bypass N4 are now the only sections on the Galway-Dublin route without emergency phones.

So approximately 35km total without, on a route approximately 200kmh long. Not bad but hopefully Athlone-Ballinasloe will be retrofitted soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

KevR wrote: »
    The Athlone Bypass N6, Athlone-Ballinasloe M6 and Lucan Bypass N4 are now the only sections on the Galway-Dublin route without emergency phones.

So approximately 35km total without, on a route approximately 200kmh long. Not bad but hopefully Athlone-Ballinasloe will be retrofitted soon!

I doubt the Lucan section will get any, but I can certainly see the Athlone-Ballinasloe section getting them soon enough. Not sure about the Athlone Bypass, but I now consider it part of the M6 whether or not the locals like it.

Anyway, I will unfortunately not get the chance to drive this new stretch before Christmas, so I'm relying on others to post up a few snaps and such. :cool:

Hopefully I'll get to drive it again (but this time in daylight) in the next few days and I hope to be able to get some pictures.

Can't believe it looked like this last Christmas:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/194244/69135.JPG
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/194244/69138.JPG
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/Kev-Ryan/M6/R348OverbridgeSouthEastofAthenry.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

AND an MSA on the way. Gosh its like the Galway to Dublin route is remotely beginning to look like a functioning motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Amazing road, at least the bit I've driven so far, and well finished. There are a few things that looked rushed but in general it's excellent.

One thing I noticed though, the solid yellow line isn't the usual rumble type. It's just, well smooth. Any significance to this? Should it be?

You're right about the lighting Kev, but the lighting on the on the feature bridge at J15 isn't in place yet. That at least should provide some light onto the main line when it eventually goes in. The bridge is also light from underneath as well whih is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

kaizersoze wrote: »

One thing I noticed though, the solid yellow line isn't the usual rumble type. It's just, well smooth. Any significance to this? Should it be?

Interesting. The M8 C-M scheme is the same. There seems to be no standard way of doing things line-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    Interesting. The M8 C-M scheme is the same. There seems to be no standard way of doing things line-wise.

I've noticed that they've stopped with the yellow "rumble" lines. Perhaps they think by putting the the catseyes on the inside of the line they can double as a sufficient rumble strip and eliminate the need for a proper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Drove it last night as far as the Loughrea junction and as someone else said the road surface is fantastic, extremely smooth ride. I did notice a lot of cars pulling into the lay-by a couple of hundred yards down from the Loughrea exit thinking it was the actual exit! The exit sign is just before the lay-by and it confused some people. I was in the lay-by taking a phone call at the time and saw a few sheepish looking people realise their error and drive straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

edit: never mind, wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Newry's a city*, there's M/way or HQD2 the whole way from there to Dublin
    Cities are urban areas, so the M1/N1 is an interurban, and it's been finished for a while.

Demand for shopping in Newry aside, the primary destination is Belfast, and until every last roundabout (Hillsborough, etc) and single carriageway (Newry) is replaced, the whole route isn't complete in my opinion.

I was to go to Galway this weekend, but plans changed, so can't wait to see the final section of the M6 over the Christmas! Out of interest, I used my GPS last weekend in typical Sunday evening traffic, and the average speed between Doughiska and the point east of Balinasloe where I could hit motorway speed (approx 64km) was just over 70km/h. The new route being 56km at 120km/h will save me nearly 25 mins in future.

• Advertisement

Both the Irish Times and the Independent have some poor articles on the M6 today. The claim from both of them is that the Dublin-Galway route in total cost €1.1bn (worth every cent in my opinion), of which the state paid for just €427m, leaving the private sector to pay over €700m. Surely that's wide off the mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

An "Arrive Alive" message then flashes up on the screen before you pull off. :)

Oh dear....a George Hamilton moment if I ever saw one. It surely demands the response "but isn't it dangerous to do that while driving......"

oddiot wrote: »
    Out of interest, I used my GPS last weekend in typical Sunday evening traffic, and the average speed between Doughiska and the point east of Balinasloe where I could hit motorway speed (approx 64km) was just over 70km/h. The new route being 56km at 120km/h will save me nearly 25 mins in future.

I had to drive Galway-Athlone everyday for 5 months this year and before the Athlone-Ballinasloe motorway opened, my average speed most days would be between 60kmh and 70kmh. Really aweful! It was the various towns and villages, slow drivers and the lack of good overtaking opportunities and people turning in and out of side roads slowed traffic a lot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    Drove home just now, 19 mins from Doughiska roundabout to my driveway in Loughrea. Sweet!

One thing I was unsure about is the speed limit on the link road from the motorway to the Loughrea bypass, the speed shown on the Loughrea exit sliproad is 80kph (I think) but there are no more confirmations signs along the whole length of the access road.

That link road is of better quality than the old N6, I can't see why i should be anything other than 100kph, especially seeing as it is designated as an N road.

Anyone know what the speed limit is?

I made the trip yesterday :) Timed from Doughiska roundabout to the Ballinasloe turnoff and back to the Doughiska roundabout. Didnt go into the town. A Beautiful drive that took just over an hour. The curves are long and gentle. Kept strictly to the limits but didnt drop under the limits either. Who would believe it?
    Only "gripe" i would have is the sliproad off to Ballinasloe seems to be uneven (like been on a wave) and then seems to have a steep camber dropping from left to right. This all starts and finishes within a space of about 150 metres. Its not bad but i did notice it.
    All in all a wonderful improvement and a great christmas pressie for the people of Galway. Roll on the M17 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Furet wrote: »
    Both the Irish Times and the Independent have some poor articles on the M6 today. The claim from both of them is that the Dublin-Galway route in total cost €1.1bn (worth every cent in my opinion), of which the state paid for just €427m, leaving the private sector to pay over €700m. Surely that's wide off the mark?
    Yeah that's nonsense. The state paid 470m towards Galway-B'sloe alone, with the PPP crowd making up the remaining 230m or so IIRC.

The state has paid a LOT more than 427m in total along the Dublin-Galway route. Sure the majority of it is toll free altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Drove the M6 from Galway to Athenry and back this afternoon in daylight.
    As stated in other posts, the surface is excellent and it is a wonderful drive.

The part I drove is much better than Athlone-Ballinasloe as the gradient is pretty much a constant flat plus it is very straight with very long curves.

The substantial sense of space is apparent when travelling eastbound due to to the wide median and concrete barrier, and also westbound due to the large land take to the left of the hard shoulder.

It was just fantastic to arrive in Galway on this new motorway, at last we have addressed part of the huge infrastructure deficit in this region of the country.

I will probably be in Dublin some day next week so I'm looking forward to the drive up and down.

Next Focus: M17 and GCOB!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Is the scenery as dismally boring as I predicted, given that it runs through the middle of absolutely nowhere??

Slightly OT, but I have noticed a "rash" of temporary signs directing traffic to the "Old N6 (R446)" at the Monkslands junction westbound Athlone.

I know a lot of people were missing that new turning and having to go to Ballinasloe to turn back but why erecting them now, six months after that section opening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Any chance of a few pics lads? Pics or this motorway didn't happen lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Slightly OT but is the 'old' N6(Loughrea-Craughwell etc) gone to 80 kph ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Drove it today.

From turning the key in my gaff in Monksland, Athlone to parking in Headford Road SC, exactly 1 hour.

This inlucdes the crap traffic from Morris Rd Roundabout to the SC.

Cannot rate the road highly enough. The toll is worth it in terms of bang for buck, unlike the Enfield one. Surface excellent, no toll for Galway commuters up to and including Loughrea and no stingy tolls at the slip roads (a la Enfield). A fine example of how to get it right

Really good event for the country amist all the doom and gloom - one lasting thing of the Celtic Tiger and will have me (for one) doing more trips/visits around the country. About time i know.

Galway outer bypass, if ever built, will make the journey that bit quicker again. Good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Nath wrote: »
    Next Focus: M17 and GCOB!!

Couldnt agree more Nath. Hopefully there will be interest in funding the M17/M18 PPP next year. The NRA look to have it at top priority after the inter-urbans, if it doesnt start next year it should do in 2011 or 2012.

Heading Eastbound, half way between J19 and J18 there's a VMS saying "Keep Left, Overtake on the Right". I love this road :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fitzeyboy

Heading Eastbound, half way between J19 and J18 there's a VMS saying "Keep Left, Overtake on the Right". I love this road :D

every motorway and DC should have several of these. would make driving that bit much more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

fitzeyboy wrote: »
    every motorway and DC should have several of these. would make driving that bit much more bearable

Absolutely. All the VMS should display this for a month or two. People would get the idea quick enough.

NRA should display these on all the routes.

Also, fog lights in fog only!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The finished road is now mapped on OpenStreetMap for those who'd like a look. All that's missing is the junction numbers, which I forgot to survey - please contribute your knowledge.

I know it's kinda sad, but I'm really looking forward to how the country looks in the new Collins Road Atlas with the completed M6 and an expanded M8 and M9, as well as all the redesignations.

mackerski wrote: »
    The finished road is now mapped on OpenStreetMap for those who'd like a look. All that's missing is the junction numbers, which I forgot to survey - please contribute your knowledge.

Unbelievable, great to see the Dublin-Galway route completed at last on a map. Looking at the full map the motorway network is taking shape now.

I see the Nenagh bypass is mapped as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Its fantastic to see how the motorway network is shaping up on OpenStreetMap. Apparently it'll take 2 hours to do Galway-Dublin now, anyone have a typical time for the old N6/N4 pre-motorway...3.5 hours?

• Advertisement

The Irish Times have produced a better article on the M6 opening including other scheme projected openings:
    THE REPUBLIC is now just “two hours wide” with completion of the first “inter-urban” M6 corridor between Galway and Dublin.

Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey marked the little bit of history yesterday in bright sunshine and freezing temperatures when he formally opened the last section of the 194km motorway in Ballinasloe, Co Galway.

A speed limit of 120km per hour should cut the journey from the M50 junction to Galway’s outer limits to about two hours, according to the National Roads Authority (NRA).

The final 56km section between Ballinasloe and Galway was completed four months ahead of schedule. However, it was opened unofficially for several weeks last month when it provided the only direct road route from the east during the extensive flooding.

Mr Dempsey described it as a “major milestone”, while the NRA has billed it as a “historic event”.

Total cost was €1.1 billion for the entire route, with some €427 million paid by the State and the balance of over €700 million funded through a public-private partnership scheme.

Motorists will subsidise the PPP element, with a second M6 toll plaza located close to Cappatagle in east Galway in addition to the existing one near Enfield, Co Meath. A round trip through three toll plazas to and from Dublin airport could cost about €15 – the price of a return bus ticket for bus companies now offering a very competitive alternative, if fares are not increased.

Tolls are now standard on roads across Europe, and the existing old road network between Galway and Dublin remained, Mr Dempsey said. “If you don’t want to pay the toll, don’t use the motorway,” he told journalists.

The lack of rest stops – a subject of some criticism – will be addressed, the NRA says. Mr Dempsey said he would be encouraging people to pull off into nearby towns and villages.

“There is a programme, and as soon as we can afford it we’ll put it in place in relation to rest stops,” he said.

Commenting on the controversy this week over the opening of the M9 Kilcullen-Carlow bypass, Mr Dempsey said that he had been given assurances that it would be open on Monday, and the NRA had said it would be safe to do so. The official opening will take place next month.

“I don’t know what it was all about,” Mr Dempsey said in response to questions about a delay in opening the road to assuage traders’ concerns.

“I was in Brussels. I’m saying no more,” he added, while agreeing that he had been lobbied about the timing of the opening by deputies across all parties. He said it was a matter for the deputies themselves to own up to that.

The final M6 section was blessed yesterday by Fr Martin McNamara, parish priest of Attymon.

Galway county manager Martina Moloney said that the route would open up Galway and the west to greater investment.

Mayor of Ballinasloe Cllr Johnny Walsh (Ind) welcomed the fact that children and the elderly in Ballinasloe would no longer be at risk when crossing the N6 in the town.

Mr Dempsey has urged all motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to take extra precautions when travelling on our roads during the current cold snap. Met Éireann has forecast wintry showers of sleet and snow to affect parts of Ulster, Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster tonight.

ROLLOUT WHEN THE MOTORWAYS WILL BE COMPLETED

THE OPENING of the final section of the M6 makes the Dublin to Galway route the first of the Republic’s major inter-urban motorways to be completed.

Over the coming 12 months, new motorways will open to the regional cities of Waterford, Cork, and Limerick, while the M3 motorway will link the Dublin/ Meath border with the Meath/ Cavan border.

The timetable for the remaining inter-urban motorways is as follows:

M3 – 61km of motorway in Co Meath due to open in autumn 2010, but expected earlier.

M7 – Nenagh to Limerick, 38km, due to open in spring 2010.

M7 – Limerick Shannon tunnel, 10km, due to open in winter 2010.

M7 – Castletown to Nenagh, 36km, to open in winter 2010.

M7/M8 – Portlaoise to Castletown, Portlaoise to Cullahill, 40km, to open winter 2010.

M9 – Carlow to Knocktopher, 40km, to open winter 2010.

M9 – Knocktopher to Waterford, 24km, to open spring 2010.

M50 – improvements in Dublin, completed winter 2010

Link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement