Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand; Croke Park 5.15pm (pre/during/post discussion thread)

Options
  • 15-11-2008 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

So the day is upon us, where a team under new management and coming after arguably the most disappointing season in Irish Rugby, have a shot at immortality.

In eighty-odd minutes, Ireland can reach heights never seen in 103 years of matches against the All Blacks. Having pitted the best talent in the country against the perennial standard-bearers of Rugby Union on twenty-one occasions, we’ve failed in twenty attempts and managed a draw in the one remaining fixture.

There’s something about tomorrow that has all the markings of a historic day in Irish Rugby. Perhaps it’s petty to be this obsessed with beating one team, especially in a fixture that only has a bearing on IRB world rankings, rather than in the performance and development of the players and team as a whole. On the other hand, to truly test oneself, one must pit themselves against the finest available, and it’s safe to say that at the moment, the New Zealand All Blacks are the benchmark against international rugby teams are judged.

It may be a throttling by the visitors and a huge disappointment to majority of the 82,300 or so people in attendance, or it may be a day that will live long in the memory and that will be recounted again and again to offspring and anyone who will listen – only time will tell. No matter what, it’ll be a bloody great occasion, and I look forward to the whole day, especially when the anthems start around 5.05pm and I’m perched high above the pitch in the Cusack Stand.:)

My head says New Zealand in a breathtaking display of rugby that we will be privileged to see, and my heart says Ireland, with the Gael producing a performance and victory that will be forever recalled by those present and in the annals of great events that took place on this hallowed turf.

Anyway, enough of my late-night ramblings and onto the facts that we are aware of:
    Ireland v New Zealand
    Saturday, 15 November 2008 @ 5.15pm
    Croke Park, Dublin
    Live on RTÉ2, RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ.ie; BBC2

No. | IRELAND | NEW ZEALAND
    15 | Girvan Dempsey | Mils Muliaina
    14 | Tommy Bowe | Joe Rokocoko
    13 | Brian O'Driscoll (capt) | Conrad Smith
    12 | Luke Fitzgerald | Ma'a Nonu
    11 | Robert Kearney | Sitiveni Sivivatu
    10 | Ronan O'Gara | Dan Carter
    9 | Tomas O'Leary | Jimmy Cowan
    8 | Jamie Heaslip | Rodney So'oialo
    7 | David Wallace | Richie McCaw (capt)
    6 | Alan Quinlan | Jerome Kaino
    5 | Paul O'Connell | Ali Williams
    4 | Donncha O'Callaghan | Brad Thorn
    3 | John Hayes | Neemia Tialata
    2 | Rory Best | Keven Mealamu
    1 | Marcus Horan | Tony Woodcock
    Irish Replacements: Jerry Flannery, Tony Buckley, Stephen Ferris, Shane Jennings, Eoin Reddan, Paddy Wallace, Keith Earls
    New Zealand Replacements: Corey Flynn, John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Kieran Read, Piri Weepu, Stephen Donald, Isaia Toeava
    Officials:
    Match referee: Mark Lawrence (South Africa)
    Touch judges: Jonathan Kaplan (SA), Cobus Wessels (SA)
    Technical monitor: Johan Meuwesen (SA)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

I think the key to the game is at the breakdown. If the New Zealanders are allowed to push the rules, as so often is the case, i think they'll murder us out wide with quick ball. I hope we really take it to them up front with ROG putting the ball in behind them quite a bit. If we stop them and impose ourselves we might come out on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Did anyone see anything against Canada to suggest we could compete today?

I certainly wouldn't be getting too carried away by our nearly results in the summer against Oz and AB's teams playing together for the first time in the first game of their season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

on the train, can't wait, NZ by less than 7

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think this could be Ireland's day.

We all know Kidney has game plans to stop the big teams playing rugby.

Look what Munster used do to the big teams under him.

I have a small wager on Ireland @ 11/4 so here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

today's forecast :

Mostly cloudy. Scattered outbreaks of rain and drizzle. Dry intervals also. Mild and humid

looks like the ball will be thrown around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

today's forecast :

Mostly cloudy. Scattered outbreaks of rain and drizzle. Dry intervals also. Mild and humid

looks like the ball will be thrown around

Duffel coat, or light rain jacket weather? 5 Minute to decide before leaving for train station!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can see Ireland turning these boys over for three reasons.

1 Kidney is a master tacticain

2 The squad are fired up to impress new boss and lay old ghosts to rest

3 O Driscoll has a score to settle and I am sure it has been mentioned more than once between the squad, The Irish team will stand firm behind their captain and seek retribution. Also O Driscoll has been in inspired form these last few months esp in the big games.

COME ON IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Duffel coat, or light rain jacket weather? 5 Minute to decide before leaving for train station!

Bring both, you'll probably need them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Anyone read Zinzane Brooke's condescending article on the BBC website?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7725697.stm

"It's probably a blessing in disguise for them the way the fixtures have fallen, with Scotland first, then Ireland, before the biggest Tests - Wales and England."

So Wales and England are bigger tests than ireland? I can remember England testing the All Blacks at all recently. Ireland have run them closer on many more occasions.

"The Irish have some good individuals, but the All Blacks will ask questions of them as a collective unit, and I can't see them giving New Zealand too many problems."

Let's hope we can prove him wrong!

"I think the All Blacks will roll them over."

If I were Kidney I'd be sticking that up in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

we will be worn out !!

according to the bbc sport website
    were playing scotland at 1430 away then NZ at home after that:eek:

FIXTURES:

1430 GMT: England v Australia

Match preview
    1430 GMT: Scotland v Ireland

Match preview
    1715 GMT: Ireland v New Zealand

Match preview
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7731065.stm
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Yeah, I have seen that AB program before, it's pretty good. Shows how much it means to be selected for the All Blacks.

However, did you see the early attempts at the Haka.....hilarious. Reminded me of 15 drunk uncles at a wedding trying to do the steps to pop songs dance routine.

Noopti wrote: »
    Yeah, I have seen that AB program before, it's pretty good. Shows how much it means to be selected for the All Blacks.

However, did you see the early attempts at the Haka.....hilarious. Reminded me of 15 drunk uncles at a wedding trying to do the steps to pop songs dance routine.

Even in the 70s and 80s the Haka looked ridiculous.

It was only after they started getting some Maori on the team it actually started looking intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just got into the upper Cusack now.

Very mild breeze, and the pitch looks immaculate. Also nice to see that the Hill has remained a terrace for the match - they haven't put in the bucket seats for the Ireland - Poland match yet.

Anyone know how I can upload a photo from my phone to boards!

juvenal wrote: »
    Just got into the upper Cusack now.

Very mild breeze, and the pitch looks immaculate. Also nice to see that the Hill has remained a terrace for the match - they haven't put in the bucket seats for the Ireland - Poland match yet.

Not sure.

Try uploading the snap to www.imageshack.us and posting the link here.

juvenal wrote: »

Email it to yourself, save and then attach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Email it to yourself, save and then attach.

I already did that, but I'm on the boards mobile site, and I don't think it's an option?

Players from both teams are currently doing a walk about on the pitch.

Oh I don't know then.

Anyways off to the pub

CMON IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Im expecting alot form our wingers, Johne Murphy has added another try to his season with Leicester today and really should be banging Kidneys door down to ask why he isnt in the squad.

Also why the hell do RTE employ McGuirk he's one of the worst presenters iv ever seen doesnt understand the modern game at all in fact i doubt if he even watches any rugby outside his job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

All i'll say is come on Ireland :-) hopefully we can really push the all blacks today and create a little history !

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Stev_o wrote: »
    Also why the hell do RTE employ McGuirk he's one of the worst presenters iv ever seen doesnt understand the modern game at all in fact i doubt if he even watches any rugby outside his job.

also, he is ridiculously pompous and insufferably arrogant. Very annoying on the radio too. Bring in Bill O Herlihy!

Oh dear great quote from McGuirk

But there's 80,000 Irish people out there that could to them that did to England :rolleyes:

Cause New Zealand always get lovely crowds in Australia and even more so in South Africa:rolleyes:

Oh deary dear what awful awful commentating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stev_o wrote: »

Cant stand him.

"Is anyone brave enough to predict an Irish win?" Wtf does bravery have to do with predicting an irish win?! If you think they will win, you say it. It doesnt take bravery to say it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Stick to the BBC commentary I say...

NZ have never lost a match when doing the Kapa O Pango something to note

Camera angles being used by RTE seem very very far away tis strange on the eyes

NZ getting over the gainline with ease, really targeting our wing defense which looks shaky at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Why are the Paddy Power ads on pitchside on the far side of the pitch upside-down? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Why are the Paddy Power ads on pitchside on the far side of the pitch upside-down?

Tut, that's the right way up for antipodean viewers.

Advertisement