Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What difference does a second make?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi peckham
    at least your back running, if you keep being sensible you should be back on track in no time.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Acupuncture session last night - relieved the pain, but not as much of a relief as last time.

Excellent gym session this morning. Certainly felt easier to be working out whilst dry and warm looking out on the wind and rain, rather than out running in it!

Will try and get out running again Monday and Tuesday nights. Pilates resumes on Wednesday.

5.1 miles last night. Avg. 7:21/mi pace

Felt great throughout, even posted two consecutive miles at 7:05ish. Someone was running at that pace behind me, and competitive instinct kicked in to stay ahead of them. (I know it's silly, but probably a symptom of wanting to get back to racing)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Peckham wrote: »

Felt great throughout, even posted two consecutive miles at 7:05ish. Someone was running at that pace behind me, and competitive instinct kicked in to stay ahead of them. (I know it's silly, but probably a symptom of wanting to get back to racing)!

Nice run Peckham, at that pace it's as though someone let you off the leash. Good to see you coming back.

great stuff peckham thats a big step forward

• Advertisement

Was out the door by 6.40 this morning for an early-morning run. Is only the second time I've ever gone for a run before work, and I hated it last time I did it. Wasn't so bad this time - maybe it's because I was prepared for it feeling worse, and it wasn't as bad as that.

Did just over 5 miles, averaging at 7:40ish pace (first mile was much slower than I'm used to (must have still been asleep!), but then I got into the groove of 7:30ish miles. Could have kept going at the end, but needed to start getting ready for work!

Will consider doing more of these early-morning runs - a handy way to get a 5-miler done.

Off to London for the weekend to cheer on Leinster. Is going to be a booze-filled weekend, so no running ... although might get out on Sunday evening to blow off the cobwebs.

Didn't get out yesterday evening as hoped, but went out for a windy 6 miler this evening. Felt great from the moment I set off, and it was one of those runs where I couldn't slow the pace down....did the first 3 miles remarkably fast (just under 21 mins) and slowed back towards the end to finish on avg pace of 7:09/mi

Hopefully will get out tomorrow morning for a slower 4-miler.

Feel I might be on a comeback and racing again in the BHAA in Swords (need to buy spikes first though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

keep it up peckham. just a question tho., didnt you do the marathon c 3hrs? ie less than 7 min miles. which was brilliant and something i could only dream of, but how come you seem very happy when u do say 5 miles at about 7 min or 7.15 pace?

keep it up peckham. just a question tho., didnt you do the marathon c 3hrs? ie less than 7 min miles. which was brilliant and something i could only dream of, but how come you seem very happy when u do say 5 miles at about 7 min or 7.15 pace?

Yes, I did the marathon in 3hrs, which is 6:52 min miles. Am happy with 7-7:15 pace at the moment as have hardly run since with injury.

Getting really frustrated now. Just as it seems I'm back and feeling comfortable, the knee starts to act up again.

After that last update last Monday, I got up on Tuesday morning for a gentle few miles. Went out slow but turned for home again with a very painful knee (yes, I know I pushed myself far too hard on the Monday session). Gentle 30 mins on the treadmill on Wednesday even caused discomfort. Apart from core strength work on Thursday, I've done nothing since.

Really getting down-hearted as I'm so keen to get back running and racing, and worried about fitness loss etc. Reading the Raheny-5 reports here, and some great progress in training logs makes me feel even worse.

Will be pulling out of the BHAA races I committed to over the next few weeks, and continue on the physio treatment (daily stretches and weekly acupuncture/massage), plus strength and conditioning work in the gym.

Have re-evaluated my objectives, which are now to simply get back on the road over the next few weeks, do some base training between then and early-May, before a four week break for wedding and honeymoon, leaving me with three and a half months to build up for Berlin in September.

It's three months since the marathon, and I've run less than 80 miles since then. Depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Getting really frustrated now. Just as it seems I'm back and feeling comfortable, the knee starts to act up again.

After that last update last Monday, I got up on Tuesday morning for a gentle few miles. Went out slow but turned for home again with a very painful knee (yes, I know I pushed myself far too hard on the Monday session). Gentle 30 mins on the treadmill on Wednesday even caused discomfort. Apart from core strength work on Thursday, I've done nothing since.

Really getting down-hearted as I'm so keen to get back running and racing, and worried about fitness loss etc. Reading the Raheny-5 reports here, and some great progress in training logs makes me feel even worse.

Will be pulling out of the BHAA races I committed to over the next few weeks, and continue on the physio treatment (daily stretches and weekly acupuncture/massage), plus strength and conditioning work in the gym.

Have re-evaluated my objectives, which are now to simply get back on the road over the next few weeks, do some base training between then and early-May, before a four week break for wedding and honeymoon, leaving me with three and a half months to build up for Berlin in September.

It's three months since the marathon, and I've run less than 80 miles since then. Depressing.
    Fingers crossed you'll be back soon. Are you able to get any runs done on grass?

...(yes, I know I pushed myself far too hard on the Monday session).

Its gotta be very frustrating to come so close to sub3, and now to be looking at say the 1000 mile challenge, and to compare yourself then and now.
    Take heart from the fact that you know what you did wrong on Monday- too much wayyyy too fast! Heck, I'm on 50+ weeks now and I'm real happy when I put 5 miles together at that pace! Relax man, you'll be back in your stride soon enough, just don't push yourself too early, it's a false economy on the road to back to your former fitness.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you'll be back soon. Are you able to get any runs done on grass?

That would be ideal, and have some football pitches near my house that I use for speedwork during the summer. However, all my running is done either before or after work, so is done in the dark at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey Peckham sorry to hear about things still not going to plan. Don't rule out the treadmill for all your running needs at the moment. I was told that how you test a surface for running and its impact on your knees is to bounce a golf ball on it and when you do this on a treadmill the answer suggests a very good surface. Also a few weights exercises if you can manage it to add strenght to around your knee. In the build up to Berlin I started doing squats and deadlifts and I found this really helped. Wish you all the best and just keep the faith and don't put yourself under any pressure before your wedding because when the honeymoon is over you'll be egging to get out the house and get running. :D

Have been avoiding these threads for a while, as it was making me feel too envious/depressed about my injured state. Great to read all the progress that's going on here - either getting the mileage up, coming back from injury or running 29-minute 5 milers on your lunch break :eek:

I took some of Woddle's advice above and spent a good bit of time on the treadmill over the past few weeks, coupled with a few road runs also. Nothing too dramatic, nothing over 5 miles.

Made my racing comeback on Saturday at BHAA Aer Lingus. Race report is elsewhere, and whilst I really enjoyed it, my absence from speedwork and lack of familiarity with cross-country surfaces means I'm aching badly at the moment (everywhere in my legs, except my knees thankfully!). Had hoped to get for a few recovery miles this evening, but think I'm still too tight for it (had read somewhere before not to run if your gait is abnormal, and I'm walking with a slight limp).

Will now try to build the mileage up a bit. Will try to get a 7-miler in at the weekend, and build slowly back up from there. Have 3 months remaining before a three-week break for wedding/honeymoon, so plan is to get up to doing 17/18 miles comfortably before then, plus will pick out a race in mid-April that I'll use as a time trial to be in or around 3-hour marathon pace.

Mid-June onwards is gearing up for Berlin.

(That's all assuming that injury doesn't get in the way!)

Great post Peckham, brilliant to see you back at the coalface. We've all suffered injuries and layoffs before, and you're right in that it can be disheartening to see the fit and able go from strength to strength while you are left to wallow in enforced rest hell :p

It's good that your return is cautious, and that you have a marathon goal in mind. XC race is throwing yourself in at the deep end! Best of luck in your training, and never mind sub3, where's that sub 2:55 run?:D
    Have been avoiding these threads for a while, as it was making me feel too envious/depressed about my injured state. Great to read all the progress that's going on here - either getting the mileage up, coming back from injury or running 29-minute 5 milers on your lunch break :eek:

I took some of Woddle's advice above and spent a good bit of time on the treadmill over the past few weeks, coupled with a few road runs also. Nothing too dramatic, nothing over 5 miles.

Made my racing comeback on Saturday at BHAA Aer Lingus. Race report is elsewhere, and whilst I really enjoyed it, my absence from speedwork and lack of familiarity with cross-country surfaces means I'm aching badly at the moment (everywhere in my legs, except my knees thankfully!). Had hoped to get for a few recovery miles this evening, but think I'm still too tight for it (had read somewhere before not to run if your gait is abnormal, and I'm walking with a slight limp).

Will now try to build the mileage up a bit. Will try to get a 7-miler in at the weekend, and build slowly back up from there. Have 3 months remaining before a three-week break for wedding/honeymoon, so plan is to get up to doing 17/18 miles comfortably before then, plus will pick out a race in mid-April that I'll use as a time trial to be in or around 3-hour marathon pace.

Mid-June onwards is gearing up for Berlin.

(That's all assuming that injury doesn't get in the way!)

never mind sub3, where's that sub 2:55 run?:D

Sub-2:55 is sub-3! ;)

Won't start to think of targets until end-summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Welcome back Peckham. Easy she goes...

good to have ya back peckham.......roll on berlin ....plenty of time to train to go below "the time that we dare not speak of":D

Thanks for all the encouragement!

5.1 miles this morning at 8:11 pace. Calves are still achy after Saturday's XC race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Same from me Peckham great to see you getting back into it. I might see you on the 21st at the Garda XC however I have been informed that I may have to go for birthday drinks the night before :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

stmochtas wrote: »
    Same from me Peckham great to see you getting back into it. I might see you on the 21st at the Garda XC however I have been informed that I may have to go for birthday drinks the night before :rolleyes:

May see you there too, looking to take a boards scalp soon too ;) So feel free to have a beer or two ;)

5.11 miles @ 7:52 pace

Pace a bit quicker as calves are easing up a bit, but still tender. Have developed a blister on the sole of my left foot, which has never happened to me before (may be related to running on sore calves? :confused:).

Good to get out two days in succession for five mile runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Welcome back Peckham.

7.2 miles @ 7:05 pace. Felt good - at the fast end of comfortable. One of those great days to be running, and was on one of my favourite routes through the quiet country lanes of north county Dublin.

The only thing that didn't feel so good was the blister which is stinging a bit now.

Time to settle in and watch the rugby now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

A few more good runs like that does the confidence the world of good! Good to see you back

Logging off and watching the rugby too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

great stuff Peckham, you are making a great comeback. Should be back to top race shape in a few weeks.

4.01 @ 7:35 pace this evening.

Blister came back to haunt me after Sunday's run. Was in agony yesterday. Not sure what's going on, but Mrs Peckham made some adjustments to my orthotics which will hopefully solve that. Had intended on 5 or 6 miles, but blister got a bit sensitive so headed for home.

Plan this week is 5,6,4,BHAA over the next 4 days.

6.00 @ 7:29 pace this evening.

Felt good, and cruising along at times. Good to get that feeling back.

• Advertisement

6.00 @ 7:29 pace this evening.

Felt good, and cruising along at times. Good to get that feeling back.

Its great to read these last few log entries, you're coming back quickly Peckham, some fast times in there, good man.

You know yourself the problems of coming back from injury and training too fast too soon, so I'm just curious as to how much you know when to put on/take off the brakes?

Advertisement