Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I agree It will be alot quieter but the very fact that it is a roundabout is what upsets me

Consider those going from Castletroy north to nenagh,
    the big roundabout and then the tiny castleconnell roundabout before merging with the N/M7

There has to be a roundabout though as its an interchange with 3 routes connected to it. I agree its a strange merge design but I think they had no other choice as the local road runs very close to the current N7 and adding too many routes to the main roundabout which could be dangerous.

Heres the Newport interchange that you were talking about bacon&cabbage:

3704613667_92ca44f43f.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Tech2 how did you copy that pic directly onto here?

Just had a look at what the Newport interchange will look like

http://n7nenaghtolimerick.com/newport.htm

I pity those comuting from Nenagh to Castletroy/Limerick CC :rolleyes:

>>Que mysterious to redraw the whole thing

I actually drew one up. The friggin roundabout is built, so there is no point in trying to draw up a different design.

The only thing that can be done and should be done is put four left free flow links and widen the The R446 maybe to 2lanes outbound (direct link from city avoiding roundabout)
    They could of made the roundabout a little bigger, so the movements would be a little free-er.

I don't like this design either. But when I seen the plans I wasn't really surprised...... !.... I hate that roundabout. They could of build a proper free flow here, but no, they had to build this heap of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Take the Dunkettle interchange in Cork for example. That was an absolute nightmare before the flyover was built and after the flyover was opened the roundabout became even more complicated with many exits and entry points yet the traffic flows relatively freely around it.

I believe the traffic on the Newport Interchange will flow even better having less traffic accessing it.

Bear in mind a lot of traffic on the Dublin road are from people transiting between the N18 and the N7 because they'll be damned if they are going to whole way along the south link and down the dock road for access like the signage suggests.

When the tunnel is open that traffic(mentioned above) will cease to exist, save for a few who will refuse to pay the toll on a point of principle and suffer the city traffic instead.

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote: »
    Tech2 how did you copy that pic directly onto here?

Google maps-> search limerick-> zoomed in > prt screen > saved into paint > flickr > done. :D
    They could of build a proper free flow here

Why would they need to build a free flow junction that sounds crazy. There only single carriageway roads no need for a free flow junction there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Berty wrote: »
    Take the Dunkettle interchange in Cork for example. That was an absolute nightmare before the flyover was built and after the flyover was opened the roundabout became even more complicated with many exits and entry points yet the traffic flows relatively freely around it.

Except between 730 and 900 and between 1600 and 1800 every weekday, when there are a few km of queues in just about every direction. Disasterous junction and should never have been built like it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Except between 730 and 900 and between 1600 and 1800 every weekday, when there are a few km of queues in just about every direction. Disasterous junction and should never have been built like it was.

Traffic out the Dublin road this evening was crawling from the Parkway all the ways to the present Newport roundabout,

The new N7, SRR I+II are all fantastic roads as long as you don't have to go in to Limerick CC

THe new Newport interchange - IMO isn't adequate
    The Tipperary/Ballysimon RD Interchange - A well documented disaster
    The rossbrien interchange -access to town will be stopped when complete
    The Dock road interchange - The best of a bad lot, but even more roundabouts

I don't think it is too much to have at least one decent Freeflow interchange

newpic1.jpg

This a full free flowing interchange for all movements from R445 to M7. The new design layout is based on the reusing the roundabout interchange "planned by NRA cough"

"cough"

So I had to work with what's there.:D
    Oh the only extra was two extra bridges which I feel is needed. The existing layout is inadequate. Let me Know who should be designing Irelands roads :)

Traffic out the Dublin road this evening was crawling from the Parkway all the ways to the present Newport roundabout,

The new N7, SRR I+II are all fantastic roads as long as you don't have to go in to Limerick CC

THe new Newport interchange - IMO isn't adequate
    The Tipperary/Ballysimon RD Interchange - A well documented disaster
    The rossbrien interchange -access to town will be stopped when complete
    The Dock road interchange - The best of a bad lot, but even more roundabouts

I don't think it is too much to have at least one decent Freeflow interchange

The interchanges on the Limerick Bypass are diabolical to be quite honest.

I don't understand how they came up with designing such awful inadequate junctions that could of easily been built properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Hysterious, here's a tip; why not use the satellite view before picking up the crayons?

The only extra is two new bridges? I see a railway line to be crossed. Your 'design' requires the purchase of additional lands, houses and a busy pub. Good luck pushing that through ABP.

I forgot about the pub

Sure its a drink driving pub you do know that? They could give to access to the interchange aswell. Pubs are more important than our national infrastructure.

I forgot about the pub

Sure its a drink driving pub you do know that? They could give to access to the interchange aswell. Pubs are more important than our national infrastructure.

Yes Finnegans is important to the economy of the city :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Hysterious, here's a tip; why not use the satellite view before picking up the crayons?

The only extra is two new bridges? I see a railway line to be crossed. Your 'design' requires the purchase of additional lands, houses and a busy pub. Good luck pushing that through ABP.

To hell with property - it should take a back seat in relation to infrastructure - especially since property values are tumbling anyway. If a Newport Interchange upgrade is needed in the next few years, then it's needed and that it that!!!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The link road from the N7 to the new M7 south of Borris In Ossory is opening this week. Its a link road only. It will link the Roscrea side of Borris in Ossory with the Rathdowney side. As far as I know, its the last exit off the M7 before the toll (when coming from Limerick - Dublin). Having said that, there is no off ramp on the M7 at this junction on the Limerick side of the bridge, but there is on the Dublin side. I assume since they are 2 seperate projects that the Nenagh crew will build it.

The M7 itself has some asphalt down from the Portlaoise by-pass beginning to Borris In Ossory. The Borris In Ossory to Nenagh section is a long way behind.

I think the M7 will open to Borris In Ossory, and you'll get off the motorway there and rejoin the existing N7 until the Nenagh side is finished.

The Borris In Ossory to Nenagh section is a long way behind.

I'm in agreement with you on that, the Nenagh-Castletown scheme is moving very very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Another thing i dont understand about the N7/M7 is the Nenagh bypass. Literally every other bypass or ring road built since 2000 has been dual carriageway, yet the NRA in their wisdom made this a single carriageway. Considering the route is one of the 3 busiest roads in the country, would it not have been wiser to make it dual? :confused: The rest of the motorway will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

grenache wrote: »
    Another thing i dont understand about the N7/M7 is the Nenagh bypass. Literally every other bypass or ring road built since 2000 has been dual carriageway, yet the NRA in their wisdom made this a single carriageway. Considering the route is one of the 3 busiest roads in the country, would it not have been wiser to make it dual? :confused: The rest of the motorway will be!

Nenagh Bypass would have been designed in the early/mid 90's before the MIU's were envisaged. It was indeed short-sighted but I'm not too sure if the NRA had a hand in it as they were only put on a statutory footing in 93-94.
    The Croom Bypass is another example of a wide single carriageway bypass being widened out to motorway standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Nenagh Bypass would have been designed in the early/mid 90's before the MIU's were envisaged. It was indeed short-sighted but I'm not too sure if the NRA had a hand in it as they were only put on a statutory footing in 93-94..
    Fair enough, but the Adare to Limerick stretch of the N21/N20 would have also been designed in the mid 90s. That road is dual carriageway and it opened a good year or two before the Nenagh bypass did :confused:
    The Croom Bypass is another example of a wide single carriageway bypass being widened out to motorway standard.
    Oh now this is good news indeed, but again i can't understand why the neanderthals didn't make it dual carriageway in the first place. The people building our roads seem to be awful short-sighted.

No, the M7 is the way to get OUT of Limerick FASTER :D

Edit: THATS IT. Thats why they are removing access from N20 northbound to childers road. They want people to go either left (to Galway) or right (to Dublin) so they wont have to go in to Limerick.

The gradual de-urbanisation of Limerick has begun!

No it hasn't.

Your talking out of your ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

So anyway,

what are the chances some sections of the Nengh/Limerick road will open before the whole lot opens?

Could they open the Nengh Bypass maybe?

Are they on target for a November opening or will they open sooner do you think?

Can't wait for it all to open. The folks are from Mountrath and I live 1 minute from the Finnegan's roundabout, so an easy spin home will be great.

AlanD wrote: »
    So anyway,

what are the chances some sections of the Nengh/Limerick road will open before the whole lot opens?

Could they open the Nengh Bypass maybe?

Are they on target for a November opening or will they open sooner do you think?

Can't wait for it all to open. The folks are from Mountrath and I live 1 minute from the Finnegan's roundabout, so an easy spin home will be great.

I can't wait for the motorway to open:)

They should be able to speed it up and finish it in Novemeber if all goes well/

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

New newsletter on M7/M8 portlaoise scheme.

http://www.crg.ie/M7M8_Newsletter.pdf

sorry got wrong one, new newsletter for waterford july 2009.will post on waterford n25 thread

http://www.crg.ie/Waterford%20Newsletter%20July%202009.pdf

The crg.ie website has changed the amount of newsletter links on it , the march ones of this year are now no longer on the website.maybe they might put up the summer m7/m8 newsletter soon.

They have completed one bridge for the last three weeks at Clash cross near Toome. They practically abandoned it now. (the bridge needs tarmacadam so it can be used duh??

• The Moneygall deckings and collumns are almost finished too.
    • The Borris in Ossary link road is completed.
    • They are Now starting on the Nenagh end.
    • Earthworks are advanced on most sections (still some spots to do)

I had a look at the Thurles interchange there is alot of activity on the bypass. The Roundabouts are completed just tidying up is all that is left. Passed the Five alley interchange (Limerick side of bypass) There is a lot of working going on there right now. It looks like the Nenagh to Limerick will be finished early December.

It looks like the Nenagh to Limerick will be finished early December.

Any sign of the wearing course down on any stretch of the scheme yet?

tech2 wrote: »
    Any sign of the wearing course down on any stretch of the scheme yet?

I haven't seen beyond Nenagh, so I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• The Borris in Ossary link road is completed.

There are still some bits and pieces to be done on this link road. Mostly on the Rathdowney end where they haven't the old road linked up correctly yet, and there is some landscaping work to be done around the junction and along the front of peoples houses at the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There are still some bits and pieces to be done on this link road. Mostly on the Rathdowney end where they haven't the old road linked up correctly yet, and there is some landscaping work to be done around the junction and along the front of peoples houses at the junction.

Get out the digicam Roosterman. Pictures! ;)

"Dont wink at me Dave"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement