Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

tech2 wrote: »
    There is problems still with a section of bog south of Daly's cross which would be the only reason why this would not be finished this year.

It will delay them for more than 1 month considering the shutdown for Jeebusmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Ahem, please see my previous few posts.

Ahem, dont say stuff like this without some sources.

Otherwise your just spreading rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This forum THRIVES on rumour, speculation, and fantasy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You massively overstate Mysterious. Only the Grannagh (situation is unclear re: what's happening with the N24) and Rathmorrisey M6/M17/M18 junctions are suspect. All the rest are either fine or else were built in the 80s or 90s before anyone had a clue or an economic boom.

LSRR -> Limerick Ring Road? All of these are fine
    Adare bypass, -> Fine
    Nenagh bypass. -> Eh? Nothing wrong here,
    Narrow bridges on the M7/M8 scheme, -> By my calculations won't reach capacity until 2044. Doesn't need to be wide median.
    Restricted interchanges of The M4-M6-M7.M8-M9, -> Movement not needed, so not provided.
    Newlands cross. -> Discussed elsewhere; won't be a problem.
    Dunkettle, -> Built in 90s (being fixed)
    CSRR interchanges, -> Built in 90s (being fixed)
    M50 interchanges -> Built in 80s (fixed now)

spacetweek wrote: »

LSRR -> Limerick Ring Road? All of these are fine{badly designed interchanges and some are restricted)
    Adare bypass, -> Fine(to bendy, long, and bad junctions again)

Nenagh bypass. -> Eh? Nothing wrong here, (there is alot wrong when you spend another 20million upgrading a road that has only been opened 10 years.

Narrow bridges on the M7/M8 scheme, -> By my calculations won't reach capacity until 2044. Doesn't need to be wide median. (they could of least given extra room under the bridges...

Restricted interchanges of The M4-M6-M7.M8-M9, -> Movement not needed, so not provided. (according to you?)

Newlands cross. -> Discussed elsewhere; won't be a problem.( is a problem)

Dunkettle, -> Built in 90s (being fixed) (not yet)

CSRR interchanges, -> Built in 90s (being fixed) (not yet)

M50 interchanges -> Built in 80s (fixed now) But another waste

Just bolded it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I thought this was the M7 Motorway thread?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought this was the M7 Motorway thread?

No, its become the "mysterious derails another thread with uninformed, anti-NRA rant" thread, clearly.

Double post.

MYOB wrote: »
    No, its become the "mysterious derails another thread with uninformed, anti-NRA rant" thread, clearly.

No I mentioned the examples of the problem that exists with lack of foresight on our roads the Nenagh bypass was an example.

If we had built the Nenagh bypass right in the first place we would'nt have the problem of tight bridges, no HS etc.

So no one would get in a knickers twist about these problems in the first place. I didn't force Spacetweek or you to make an issue out of the examples I made in relation to this.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    I didn't force Spacetweek or you to make an issue out of the examples I made in relation to this.:)

The other option is leaving them uncorrected, which isn't really an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Was down the N7 on Fri headin to Sneem and just where you took these photos the lat bridge on the bypass seemed like thaty had not even started widening it could you make out if this was so and if so looks like it will be some time yet before this is finished.

Great pics

mysterious wrote: »
    Ahem, dont say stuff like this without some sources.

Otherwise your just spreading rumours.

Hold up here chief. I gave the info about the December opening and that was good enough for you.

Spreading rumours? Hysterious posts nowt but facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    This forum THRIVES on rumour, speculation, and fantasy.

Yeah , like the utterly scurrilous rumours that the M20 will be built by 2015 . Mind you I think the Nenagh section may open in 2010 now where I didn't for a looooong time

Love the rumour .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

spacetweek wrote: »
    You massively overstate Mysterious. Only the Grannagh (situation is unclear re: what's happening with the N24) and Rathmorrisey M6/M17/M18 junctions are suspect. All the rest are either fine or else were built in the 80s or 90s before anyone had a clue or an economic boom.

LSRR -> Limerick Ring Road? All of these are fine

You surely have not even been to Limerick at rush hour then. The N24 interchange has been a disaster from the beginning, and has now been modified twice (the latest modification simply to make sure the lengthy queues are on the N24 rather than N7 slips). It was very obviously designed with AADT in mind without considering nearly all of that was at either end of the day. Finally - and again this isn't NRA's fault, but there is also now a lot of traffic through the day due to the retail parks. Nevertheless even before they opened peak times were a disaster.

The N20 junction should have city-bound access. Now that isn't the NRA's fault, nevertheless but for local goings-on there would be very valuable access there despite the poor local road network (given as a reason for the disconnect - but it was actually due to local actions). At the least, with the NRA agreeing to no city-access there they really needed to arrange alternative city-bound access - a significant amount of N20 traffic needs to get into the city.

The N69 junction will bear a lot of the city-bound traffic as a result. What's to be used? A dumbell roundabout where one of the roundabouts is a modified existing traffic blackspot with the link road to Raheen on it and the cement factory entrance. How on earth could anyone remotely consider this to be acceptable? It's cheap cheap cheap - probably not directly the NRA's fault too if it really was due to money.

The new Newport junction will be OK for continuing on N7/M7, but it's ridiculous for the main Dublin-bound access from Limerick city itself. Hmmm... lets see, what shall we build. Yeah - a giant roundabout - those have worked great before.

My excuse for continuing this discussion in this thread is that three of those junctions will shortly be on M7 motorway. I consider spacetweek's assertions about the LSRR junctions absolutely preposterous - I agree with mysterious that the junctions are inadequate even if I disagree with mysterious about many things such as preposterous suggestions concerning a junction at the R526 on the SRR and the vociferous denunciation of the NRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

As a non - engineer who deals with Local Authorities, NRA etc on a wide variety of projects (not all transport related) I think that the reason we build such poor road interchanges is primarily down to:

1. The absolute lack of strategic, long term thinking in these organisations;
    2. The political pressure exerted on them in the past decade (expecially since around 2003) to build as many schemes as possible for a fixed annual allocation of cash;
    3. Total absence of understanding about what an InterUrban Motorway Network is supposed to achieve; and
    4. Linked to 1 above is a General lack of vision.

Trust me - the long term impacts (50 years) of not properly specing the motorways recently built or under construction will be ENORMOUS.....even allowing for a huge contraction in economic activity over the next couple of years. The age profile and fertility rates of the Irish population (even excluding immigrants) will ensure a population of 5 million plus over this timeframe...

O how we could now use the billions spent over the last few years rectifying the mistakes of the past....

Finally people get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yeah , like the utterly scurrilous rumours that the M20 will be built by 2015 . Mind you I think the Nenagh section may open in 2010 now where I didn't for a looooong time

Love the rumour .:cool:

I heard the roads will be finished by 2006 - Bertie told me. He also told me had no bank account and he won the money on a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I heard the roads will be finished by 2006 - Bertie told me. He also told me had no bank account and he won the money on a horse.

I said nothing of the kind.

Bertie on National Stadium

Number 7 is always a mysterious number;)

I will continue to say this scheme will be finished for this year. The wearing course is now being laid down or is in the process of doing so. They were working on this tonight at half 8! These were taken from the R504 overbridge:

Looking west of the R504 overbridge
    DSC02341.jpg

Looking east of the R504 overbridge
    DSC02342.jpg

• Advertisement

The site is tidy and the barriers are up, plus the cantilevers. What about sign poles? I continue to say November or December this year; maybe even October.

Furet wrote: »
    The site is tidy and the barriers are up, plus the cantilevers. What about sign poles? I continue to say November or December this year; maybe even October.

There is a few cantilevers up but I haven't seen any sign poles. October would be a stretch but certainly possible. The tie with the SRR wont be too hard most of it is in place already only asphalt to be laid over the current surface.

It looks like the final wearing course from the pic but I'm not too sure hard to judge on a wet surface. What do you think Furet?

Btw the reason I passed along there this evening was to try the birdhill link road. Unfortunately it was closed off.

It looks like the final wearing course from the pic but I'm not too sure hard to judge on a wet surface. What do you think Furet?

I don't think it's the wearing course as you can still see a lot of spilt concrete from the median along it. Also, the wearing course doesn't usually allow that much rainwater to sit on it like that. But it definitely looks to be ready for the wearing course!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭roosterman71

An update on the Borris In Ossory link road. The road is completed, but Iarnroid Eireann have stopped the opening because they want access to the new bridge over the railway line.

Why they only copped this when the road was built remains a mystery. Some say they charged the NRA €40000 so they could close the railway for half a day during construction too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I
    Looking west of the R504 overbridge
    DSC02341.jpg

You're on the overbridge there arent you? I see the concrete median is bulging around the support pillars, does that mean we're going to have the bulgey carriageways a la Cashel - Mitchelstown?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Looks good for a 2009 opening. Fingers crossed!

You're on the overbridge there arent you? I see the concrete median is bulging around the support pillars, does that mean we're going to have the bulgey carriageways a la Cashel - Mitchelstown?? :(

I certainly hope not. I didnt get a good chance to look underneath the overbridge itself though as construction was going on at the time. I hope they power on with the rest of this now.

it will be finished in early December the guy on the previous pge was acting the goon and making a rumour.

It was his rumour, because he has no source or explanation.

• Advertisement

Ah well, hysterious. Some rumours you want to believe and others that you don't want to believe. I don't recall the NRA giving a definitive date for this road opening. On their site it simply states Q4 2009. We all know how often those have had to change in the past and their current accuracy.

My source was the same person who confirmed a mid-late December opening a good few months back. The explanation is down to ground conditions in the bogs. Both of which I gave a few pages back.

Now why don't you do your usual trick of posting something by banging your forehead on the keyboard repeatedly while using bold text with your unique brand of grammar to put forward your cogent arguments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement