Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Declan30 wrote: »
    Diathi o shea was terrible tonight. He wasnt funny at all and tried to force his jokes on people.
    why cant colin murphy host the show seems to be the best for it.
    rte doing their best to ruin another great show again.

Didn't see this particular episode but agree the show is not as good as it was.Dara o'Briain was always going to be hard to replace but some of the guest presenters so far have been nothing short of a joke and embarrasment.Is this what our Licence fee is going on? There aren't many really good home grown shows on RTE so they shouldn't be happy to destroy the small few they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

What a horrendously unfunny show. Phill Jupitus is presenting tonight - is this guy supposed to be funny? :confused: Too many people who think they're funny and not enough funny people on The Panel. That guy with the forced Dublin accent is just painful.. Surely Ireland has better to offer?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Phil Jupitus is funny, but he wasn't great tonight.

Andrew Maxwell is so in love with the sound of his own voice it's not funny. A dangerous trait in a comedian.

Who was the woman? Absolutely awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Phil Jupitus WAS funny, he wasn't great tonight.
    Absolutely awful.

FTFY;)

Phil was good,fado fado, then started doing lots of telly, now i think he is just taking the "easy" buck, nothing wrong with that to be fair, pretty much every tv presenter is at the same game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Caballe

I just tuned into The Panel, all set for the usual mindless barage of laughs, only to see Phil Jupitus as the guest presenter.

He calls himself a comedian? He clearly didnt understand it was a place for him to display his comedic skills as opposed to his distaste for the Irish and his powerful set of lungs.

Anyone else have the pleasure of cringing through his efforts?

• Advertisement

elshambo wrote: »
    FTFY;)

Phil was good,fado fado, then started doing lots of telly, now i think he is just taking the "easy" buck, nothing wrong with that to be fair, pretty much every tv presenter is at the same game

FTFY? ^^

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I loved it as it showed how much of a fat wanker he really is!

Some comedians are great MCs. Some people make great hosts. He's a guest not a host. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I just tuned into this thread, all set for the usual mindless barage of laughs, only to see Caballe as the guest presenter.

He calls himself a comedian? He clearly didnt understand it was a place for him to display his comedic skills as opposed to his distaste for himself and his powerful set of lungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

WThat guy with the forced Dublin accent is just painful..

Mairead Farrell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

To be honest the rest of the panel are completely unfunny.

Even Jupitus was cringing at times.

They aren't able to pull off the off-the-cuff gig very well. The jokes always fall short, either due to trying too hard or through just poor execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

AH panel thread merged...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Caballe

Some comedians are great MCs. Some people make great hosts. He's a guest not a host. :pac:

Thanks for moving AlmightyCushion, apologies. Yeah he definitely wasnt funny. I thought he was going to hop on Acorah in a lets be brits together fashion. Amusing!
    I just tuned into this thread, all set for the usual mindless barage of laughs, only to see Caballe as the guest presenter.

He calls himself a comedian? He clearly didnt understand it was a place for him to display his comedic skills as opposed to his distaste for himself and his powerful set of lungs.

As for this.....confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it was alright,jokes were ok although few and far between, wasn't the same atmosphere in that theatre, but dara was the only person to be able to inject jokes and keep the interview going.

jupitus, cut maxwell off midstream twice, maxwell didn't storm off, he applauded the others jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I was hoping for Morgan Freeman tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Back in the day (when the panel was good), the comedians would have more banter with each other. These days the show is made up of a load of prepared set-piece monologues.

And although I like Delamere and Maxwell, they both tend to rabble on for way too long now. On the other hand, Colin Murphy hardly gets two words in these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Four comedians and Mairead Farrell on that panel - Not one of them interrupted Derek Acorah when he was talking about his grandmother sitting him down and giving him advice to ask if she was alive at the time.

And then Murphy and Delamere doing their 'channelling' p*take afterwards? Bit out of form, wasn't it? I mean, at least wait until the guy you're interviewing has left the studio before ripping him to shreds. Or rip him to shreds during the interview. Don't sit there like well-behaved schoolboys only to turn around once he's walked off stage and start acting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

How is Mairead Farrell a regular guest on this show.:confused:She is frickin painful to watch.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    How is Mairead Farrell a regular guest on this show.:confused:She is frickin painful to watch.

Token woman.

If you're going to have a woman on the show, please, don't pick someone whose not funny for a comedy show.

She had nothing to say or add to the show.

Delamere and Murphy are small time comedians who've reached their peak. They're good enough, but never going to be world class so to speak. Andrew Maxwell's good but self-indulgent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

They're good enough, but never going to be world class so to speak. Andrew Maxwell's good but self-indulgent.

Agree, I start cringing when he goes on his moralistic rants. FFS, what was with making out that the German army were wasted in Afghanistan and let them fight? Thought Jupitas handled him well by reminding him of what a strong, effectual German army can achieve.

Actually, thought Jupitas did quite well. He let the banter to go on for as long as he could.

I'm starting to think that each guest presenter is told to keep everything within as short a time frame as possible. THe same issues of comedians being cut off keep happening, so I think it's a production issue, not a presenter issue. RTE obviously want to wrap up the filming as soon as possible so there isn't the same flow and editing that the RTE2 crowd would have achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Neal Delamare can be funny-ish.. I met him once and he was sound, but it was long before the panel. He was supporting Des Bishop who is ten times the comedian any of those guys on there are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

Yes, Des Bishop is great. That Jupitas chap was a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Des Bishop who is ten times the comedian any of those guys on there are..

Zero multiplied by ten is zero so yes, that statement is very accurate.
    Yes, Des Bishop is great.

No, Des Bishop is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Agree, I start cringing when he goes on his moralistic rants. FFS, what was with making out that the German army were wasted in Afghanistan and let them fight? Thought Jupitas handled him well by reminding him of what a strong, effectual German army can achieve.

Maxwell was trying to be funny but it tanked, it wasn't a moralistic rant...
    Actually, thought Jupitas did quite well. He let the banter to go on for as long as he could.

Those saying jupitus cut him off, he actually saved him from the stoney silence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he was doing the setup for jupitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Rte Should try and get Des Bishop to Host the show full time. He would have the know how to keep it together and his take on Ireland is Great.
    Have to do something soon as it is getting worse every week and will start losing viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Rte Should try and get Des Bishop to Host the show full time. He would have the know how to keep it together and his take on Ireland is Great.
    Have to do something soon as it is getting worse every week and will start losing viewers.

RTE should get somebody to plant some C4 under the studio, and make sure that Ed Byrne, Andrew Maxwell, Delamare and Fiona Looney are on that night and blow the unfunny ***** to bloody pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Folks what would be your perfect line up for the panel,

Mine Des Bishop as host.

Colin Murphy,Andrew Maxwell,Dylan Moran,and maybe if maybe Peter kay or another english stand up guy.

what u think folks.Show needs a change and fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Folks what would be your perfect line up for the panel,

Mine Des Bishop as host.

Colin Murphy,Andrew Maxwell,Dylan Moran,and maybe if maybe Peter kay or another english stand up guy.

what u think folks.Show needs a change and fast.

:o

Now thats comedy & i dont mean the lineup:D

Show needs to be canned!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement