Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] DollHouse [** Spoilers **] (Renewed!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i saw this review online
    it ended with

"We're hoping Dollhouse hangs in, as the second episode, "The Target," had all the Joss Whedony goodness we've been hoping for: twisty story, nice humor, deepening characters, hints of various conspiracies and cover-ups, kick-ass action, etc. Fingers crossed"

i have to say i didnt see it in this episode. Hopefully the reviewer is just saying that to get more ratings next week and try to drive the show - or am i wrong - was this episode funny? did the charactors get much deeper?

Also personly i think twists are only interesting with main charactors - whats so interesting about someone we have known for 15 mins suddenly changing? i mean in firefly
    When Jane let the law man go in ep 1 and then later in Ariel he tipped off the fedds

Those are Joss twists

I really want the show to be a success but im pretty sure FOX have too much control over yet another Joss show.

Anyone ever get a copy of the unaired pilot? - or will i have to wait for the DVD to rant about how good it was (im guessing but if fox say something is too complex for the casual viewer then im pretty sure its worth watching)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finally an episode with that Buffy/Angel/Firefly feel to it. If they keep up with episodes like this, I'll be happy, unfortunately the ratings dropped again this week in the US.
    Bring on the next episode. Really want to know more about the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Finally an episode with that Buffy/Angel/Firefly feel to it. If they keep up with episodes like this, I'll be happy, unfortunately the ratings dropped again this week in the US.
    Bring on the next episode. Really want to know more about the attic.

I thought this episode (3rd) was pretty weak apart from the last 10 minutes or so where they fleshed out the long term plot a little more. 2nd episode my favourite so far. x.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

im guessing 'the attic' is somewhat like 'being boxed' in BSG.
    the BSG references really hit me on this episode
    the actives are like skinjobs, with no memory of who they really are

still though, the show is so dissapointedly bad(not in a so bad its good way either), the plot is nonsensical and yet so heavy handed and has NONE of the clever writing that Whedon is known for.

Oh and the actual dollhouse is run by incompetent fools, everytime something goes wrong with Echo's programming(3 outta 3 so far), they argue like little children who refuse to accept blame, i want to punch them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

That was a weak sauce episode when compared to the second one, not a good sign. I also do not understand why Sierra's programming could not be like Echo's (something about her having the personallity of a singer, but also the ability to instinctively kick ass when/if needed) as she could have easily have gotten out of the mess she got in...

And last week Ballard's investigation was of no consequence, but this week they're trying to kill him?

Last few minutes still show a few promising glimpses (Sierra goes to acknowledge Echo as a friend after they have been both wiped back at the Dollhouse) but things really need to kick up a notch... or ten, real fast. I still think the show can live up to its' promise yet and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this is what i said in my first post this, either they are placid or they are not, and it doesn't seem they are, how could they ever be, how could this have ever worked? all they seem to do is workout and then walk around, even a child would get bored doing that.

J-blk wrote: »
    That was a weak sauce episode when compared to the second one, not a good sign. I also do not understand why Sierra's programming could not be like Echo's (something about her having the personallity of a singer, but also the ability to instinctively kick ass when/if needed) as she could have easily have gotten out of the mess she got in...

And last week Ballard's investigation was of no consequence, but this week they're trying to kill him?

well anyone can be surprised from behind, or maybe she was programme to be bait.

they didn't try kill him they let the criminal gang kill try.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I actually liked this episode the best of the three. It had less plotholes, a few more twists and some interesting scenes that furthered the story. This is the first one which has made me feel like the story could go somewhere and that I'll be disappointed when it's canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

One mediocre episode and two flops so far. If it doesn't improve next week I will probably bow out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Thought it was poor myself, but that Russian guy is also an active and feeding that FBI dude false info?

• Advertisement

and neighbour too obviously

just finished 3 and i didnt like the plot (singer) but i liked everything else, the bit at the end with echo and both actives interacting even thoough they dont know one another.

The bit at the end also.

The dialog is there but lacking in detail and the Joss style humor, his shows create thir own humor.

I dont know if it does or does not get cancelled i will still buy the season 1 DVd beause i have a feeling all the deleted/cut down scenes from each episode will add allot and there has to be the plot is not fluid enough to be uncut.

EDIT: It just lacks the detail of a Joss show - The cops, clearly since the singer 1 was involed they could not just take the stalker fan and disappear him so the cops where called and we can assume he was taken away but the cops would have quested echo and what if they wanted to ask one or two more questions for either echo or siera, what if either where asked to testify in court about your mans actions ect.

I just feel the shows lacks detail, in firelfy ever little thing was considered. i only watched buffy the once though but i remember them answering/resolving most things very well with few questions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

i can't believe i'm saying this but...

...i'm done

painful viewing imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I thought episode 3 was great. Some overall plot developments, some great moments from all characters though I kinda expected Sierra to jump in at the last moment and get her ass-kicking groove on.

All in all, I like where the show is going and what it's doing to get there.
    So there isnt the same humour, Firefly was brilliant in that respect but buffy got silly after a point trying to produce similar results; so I'm fine with the few little humourous elements.

And the stories are all very engaging, as for the acting, I honestly dont believe I am watching the same show as everybody else. How is Eliza Dushku's acting bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A little bit better than the previous one in terms of story flow, although a fairly poor idea and noticeable only for its inclusion of Whedon as writer. Perhaps an attempt to rescue it from its canning? It also strikes me that they have no real idea who their audience is. The first couple of episodes suggested Whedon fans/rock chicks and then this one plumbs the depths and goes straight for X-Factor.

Already it seems utterly formulaic. Dushku gets reprogrammed, saves the day and fast forward to the last 20 seconds so we can see "All's not quite what it seems". I can only surmise that the producer aka Dushku is having some influence on the dreadful plotlines.

Dushku's acting such as it is, has called on her to be either a feisty but vapid, overgrown teenager or a reject from America's Next Top Model/X-Factor. No real acting needed for that. None of those characters have had any depth whatsoever, quite simply because neither she nor the scriptwriters are capable of it. She also gets so much screen time that the show is not about the Dollhouse but all about her. The rest of the cast are completely wasted and done no favours by the increasingly risible dialogue.

Re-watched a bit of Firefly at the weekend. He did well there, aided by a strong cast, all of whom were actually involved and decent credible stories, but this one doesn't seem to have a leg to stand on. Perhaps one more for me although with its numbers dropping it could beat me to it.

is_that_so wrote: »
    A little bit better than the previous one in terms of story flow, although a fairly poor idea and noticeable only for its inclusion of Whedon as writer.
    Was it not Jed Whedon who co-wrote the show?

I thought some of the dialogue was atrocious anyway.

There really is nothing good about this show.

:(

im going to keep watching anyway, no reason to give up on a show after only 3 episodes

User45701 wrote: »
    im going to keep watching anyway, no reason to give up on a show after only 3 episodes
    why not?

it really is a poor show

not even an average show

if it weren't for joss' involvement this would be getting slated here

humour was the key to all his other shows,

the squint has been goofy but that's all

lots of buffy type melodrama this ep

but it ain't worth it without the humour.

and neighbour too obviously
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    why not?

it really is a poor show

not even an average show

if it weren't for joss' involvement this would be getting slated here

i pay more attention to this than i do a new episode of heroes - i dont really know what that means...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Compared to this, Drive was a masterpiece, and we all know how that turned out....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

User45701 wrote: »
    i pay more attention to this than i do a new episode of heroes - i dont really know what that means...

Ouch! :D

I've given up on this show already, it's terrible.

first bit of good news

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/dvr-ratings-boost-foxs-sarah-connor-and-dollhouse.php

The pilots ratings are up 30% after factoring in DVR

that's bad news though

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I haven't even watched episode 3 yet.. and I'm not sure if i'm bothered!

But if I read one more poster on a TV forum saying "Joss, return to the Buffyverse!"

Oh God.. Buffy / Angel were remarkable shows but give the guy some creative control.. rather than wanting him to re-hash previous glories! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm not sure whether I like it or not. At times it's good and seems to have loads of potential but then it just seems to let you down overall.

I'm still going to give it another while because I still think it can turn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

It really feels like Joss Whedon had no part of this, where's his dialogue and charm? I feel like I've gone back to 2001 and I'm watching Dark Angel or Alias.

I don't think I've ever given up on a TV show so quickly as this... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Huge disappointment and i won't be watching anymore.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I've never watched a JW show before, and I have to say I like it. Perhaps the burden of expectation is too much for some. On the other hand I was a fan of Alias, and it was a message on facebook that suggested the show was Alias 2.0 that encouraged me to watch. Now while I don't think it is up to the standard of early Alias, there is hope with the season long Alpha arc. I too did think it was daft that Sierra didn't get to have the bodyguard memories imprinted in her psyche, but that would have taken from the plot, I guess. But overall I have enjoyed the last two episodes, and will stick with it for now.

Advertisement