Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

monument wrote: »

There’s the guts of what is needed and that could be improved without the size of a project which is needed.

The "ring road" runs within a few hundred metres of the city centre and doesn't have its own bridge over the Corrib; instead using the pre-existing sole modern crossing.

A further Corrib crossing is required in any proposal, even a heavily public transport based one. There is no way to provide that without a project of similar scale.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How much will the carparks cost next to the busstops for people to transit from private to public transport. And where exactly will these be located.

Cost to build or cost to park?

€600 million is a lot of money to spend to improve public transport, and park and ride would obviously be needed. There is plenty of space for it at strategic spots around Galway. Building more roads gives rise to more cars and more traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 remfan

How much will the carparks cost next to the busstops for people to transit from private to public transport. And where exactly will these be located.

Cost to build or cost to park?

€600 million is a lot of money to spend to improve public transport, and park and ride would obviously be needed.  There is plenty of space for it at strategic spots around Galway.  Building more roads gives rise to more cars and more traffic jams.
    This can be done along with the bypass, the reality is that as Galway grows and more jobs become available here, the city needs a proper ring road to take the non essential traffic away from the congested areas. Proper schools bus services, bus services that actually go to where people work and from where they love would also be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Great to see the statutory notices published in the independent today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Confirmation in today's Independent of ABP submission, publication from tomorrow and the fact that N59-M6 section WILL be a motorway

EIS will be available for viewing from tomorrow

I'll put the notice up here when I get home

EIS and motorway order now online at http://www.n6galwaycityringroad.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

m17 wrote: »
    Today's galway advertiser
    20181025_191932_zps8irzjmnr.jpg

here's pdf of same

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

marno21 wrote: »
    Confirmation in today's Independent of ABP submission
    Hallelujah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Disappointing they changed the N6 tie in design. Last one was free flow and far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Disappointing they changed the N6 tie in design. Last one was free flow and far superior.

Have they?

I must've missed that. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It is free flow judging by the pdf posted above..?

Indeed....I see exactly what you mean.
    Guess they never learn..

Nope. Here is the original.

Fully free flow, all directions.

file.php?id=13193&mode=view

file.php?id=8693

Yet, once again, we are let down with an inferior solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Ah yeah I see it now, I was assuming the Coolagh junction was stacked.

There's already a junction a few hundred metres north of it though so it's hardly the end of the world. The new design continues the bypass as the mainline which is an improvement.

And unless I'm missing something there's no way to get from the Oranmore road onto the M6 eastbound on the old design?

The EIS is 1800 pages long (main text). Seems to be fairly comprehensive.

Few interesting bits
    Between the N84 Headford Road Junction and the N83 Tuam Road Junction the mainline cross section will widen to 34.6m to accommodate a third lane in each direction (3 x 3.5m lane). This is to cater for the forecasted traffic between these junctions.
    The cross sections at the River Corrib Bridge and Menlough Viaduct consist of the same as described above with the exception of the hard shoulder width which is reduced to 0.5m and a raised verge of 0.6m (excluding widening requirements for visibility).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

The EIS is 1800 pages long (main text). Seems to be fairly comprehensive.

Few interesting bits

Very interesting, I makes sense to future proof the viaduct and bridge. I would have expected to see that mentioned in the newspaper notice. Are they providing the third lane now or will it be marked as an auxiliary lane like what's on the N40 kinsale road flyover?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know if the SC section of the bypass at the west end will be N6 or will it be an R road?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know if the SC section of the bypass at the west end will be N6 or will it be an R road?
    EIS says protected national road with a design speed of 85km/h.

• Advertisement

Very interesting, I makes sense to future proof the viaduct and bridge. I would have expected to see that mentioned in the newspaper notice. Are they providing the third lane now or will it be marked as an auxiliary lane like what's on the N40 kinsale road flyover?
    Apologies, my quote isn't clear enough to explain.

What it seems to be is

Tuam Road-Headford Road will be D3M (3 lane motorway)
    Menlough viaduct, Corrib viaduct, and 2 tunnels will be 2 lane motorway with no hard shoulder
    The remainder will be standard D2M with hard shoulder.

What it seems to be is

Menlough viaduct, Corrib viaduct, and 2 tunnels will be 2 lane motorway with no hard shoulder

I take that to mean it can be upgraded to 3 lanes not that there will be 3 lanes?

Any diagram of lane layouts available?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If they think that traffic warrants a brand new 3 lane motorway, it's safe to say the ring road is probably needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

What it seems to be is

Ah ok, so not alone not future proofing they are not even providing a hard shoulder!!

I wonder is it cost or environmental reasons or both? I suppose the scheme is expensive enough although the cost benefit ratio is over 4 which is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Open to correction but I believe this would be the first new-build D3M in the state's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

When you say 3 lane motorway, do you really mean 3 lane motorway or 2 lane motorway with an auxiliary lane, a la most of the M50?

When you say 3 lane motorway, do you really mean 3 lane motorway or 2 lane motorway with an auxiliary lane, a la most of the M50?

If there is a lane drop at both junctions then it'll be an auxiliary lane no matter what way you look at it

Is there any images of the lane layouts?

Normally an EIS provides these but I don't see any.

The "Proposed Road Development Plan Layout" attachment shows everything in greater detail

• Advertisement

Checked that but I don't see 3 lanes anywhere there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement