Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i got caught driving without a full license driver wat will happen to me???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Next time you do 121 km/h on the motorway i'll make sure to call the guards. Off the high horse please! This so called law is at the discretion of the guards. I.e depending on what guard you get, determines your punishment.

Well it damn well shouldn't be! The law regarding unaccompanied drivers is correct. It was the one allowing 2nd prov drivers to drive unaccompanied that was stupid. No other country in europe allows unqualified drivers to drive unaccompanied.

Driving unaccompanied in the UK carries a maximum fine of £1000 and a minimum of 3 points. Oh, and you get your car seized on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Actually i was over taking someone in the left lane at the speed limit , when a bmw booted up behind and squeezed between me and the car i was overtaking. Some people dont like to travel the speed limit i suppose, and by the sounds of your talk, your one of them? You've never been tailgated etc? My point was, the this happens regardless of who's driving behind the wheel, full licence or not!

This could have been a provisional holder or someone without even a licence!!

*being devils advocate*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

SteveC wrote: »
    fail.

he did, read the thread again.:rolleyes:

What?
    Twat (oops a bit harsh)

My Double post has the original post in quotes. I'm not seeing the apology.

Would that be a double fail in nerd speak?

Just a little aside here. It's cars we are talking about driving here, it's not bleeding rocket science. Passing your test does not make you a safer driver than you were the half hour before you sat the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,357 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anan1 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but it's hard to be undertaken when you're not hogging the overtaking lane. Add in your being regularly tailgated and cut off and it sounds to me like you still can't drive.

Asked this in another thread, got no reply:

if you wish to move faster than the traffic in the overtaking lane, should you sit in the driving lane, wait for them to pull in then overtake them?

For instance, when I'm driving on the M50, i might end up in a line of traffic in the overtaking lane doing 100, or 80 in a 120 zone. For stretches of a few hundred meters then driving lane may be free. However, moving in to it would mean staying at the speed I am currently traveling at (so as not to undertake) while more cars, which were behind me fill up the position I had been in. When I eventually get to the next car in the driving lane, I could be waiting a while for a suitable gap in the overtaking lane, meaning I end up 5 or 6 cars back from where I was. On the other hand, if i were to remain in the overtaking lane, keeping up with the traffic (while wanting them to be out of my way so I can do 120) someone might use the gap in the driving lane to undertake me and some other cars then aggresively pull back in to the overtaking lane (see this regularly)

What are you supposed to do? Maintain road position, keep up your speed and be undertaken or move out of the way and potentially be forced to slow down and end up further back in the overtaking lane line then you had been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

This does not happen regardless of who's driving, it happens to you. There's a simple solution to your problem - drive in the left lane, and only enter the overtaking lane to overtake. You will find that you are never again undertaken and only rarely tailgated.

Ok guarda Anan, firstly, your missing my point. Stop judging on my driving like you were my tester, because you were not. Only i know how that situation occurred, not you. Travelling at the speed limit is too slow for some people, so they tailgate till they have a chance to overtake and zoom off about there business. By the way i was referring to the person driving behind me, not me. Since you seem to be missing my point, ill make use of the bold function . Bad drivers can be provisional licence holders or full licence holders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bad drivers can be provisional licence holders or full licence holders
    Absolutely. My point, though, is that you don't have to be such a bad driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

studiorat wrote: »
    What?

just let it go ...it's all good

Tauren wrote: »

if you wish to move faster than the traffic in the overtaking lane, should you sit in the driving lane, wait for them to pull in then overtake them?

For instance, when I'm driving on the M50, i might end up in a line of traffic in the overtaking lane doing 100, or 80 in a 120 zone. For stretches of a few hundred meters then driving lane may be free. However, moving in to it would mean staying at the speed I am currently traveling at (so as not to undertake) while more cars, which were behind me fill up the position I had been in. When I eventually get to the next car in the driving lane, I could be waiting a while for a suitable gap in the overtaking lane, meaning I end up 5 or 6 cars back from where I was. On the other hand, if i were to remain in the overtaking lane, keeping up with the traffic (while wanting them to be out of my way so I can do 120) someone might use the gap in the driving lane to undertake me and some other cars then aggresively pull back in to the overtaking lane (see this regularly)

What are you supposed to do? Maintain road position, keep up your speed and be undertaken or move out of the way and potentially be forced to slow down and end up further back in the overtaking lane line then you had been?
    You're supposed to move into the left lane. The overtaking lane is for overtaking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I didn't see it. Maybe you'd like to show me a quote?

Edit I found it, you didn't apologise, you edited your first post. The one where you called the OP a twat...
    SteveC wrote: »
    fail.

he did, read the thread again.:rolleyes:
    What?

As you've noticed I edited the original post with the word 'apols' (which is short for APOLOGIES, btw ;) ). I also said this:
    sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Sorry. That should have read "stop driving unaccompanied".

I have a particular bee in my bonnet about this so I'll retract the word twat. Bit harsh, accepted.

Now, stop slating myself and others when you're in the wrong, and for thesake of my sanity let us all stop posting on this thread. It's becoming a debate that there should be no need for tbph. I'm happy to let it go - not without defending my corner though.

sdonn_1

The "let it go" bit would apply to you too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,316 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

darcyd1991 wrote: »
    hi!im 17!i actually got pulled over for dangurous driving den wen asked to produce my license i only had a provisional!!
    it wasnt too dangerous i just pulled out off a junction too fast and an under cover car pulled me over!!i have never been in trouble with the police be4 either nd i had no other passengers in my car!!! wat do ppl tink dey will do 2 mii!!im pretty worried about it?:confused::(

Oh oh. As far as I know its 30 days in jail or something like that.

Nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 45,357 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You're supposed to move into the left lane. The overtaking lane is for overtaking.:)

but then you lose 5 or 6 car spaces each time you move back in, which seems stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭Penn

what I'm wondering is if you were driving unaccompanied, surely you were violating the conditions of your insurance. So I wonder if they could do you for driving with no insurance

but then you lose 5 or 6 car spaces each time you move back in, which seems stupid.
    I know, I know! Of course, if everyone did it there wouldn't be a problem.

Resi12 wrote: »
    I no, I never quite got what a person with no control of the car and can be as young as the provisional driver can do to actually help in case something happened

Can't be as young as the Prov driver in this case as the fully licensed driver had to hold full license for minimum of two years, I think the point of it though isw that they are supposed to be instructing you - may be wrong?

What I really want to know though, is what is taking off from a junction too fast? I don't get it?? I always leave junctions quite quickly, what's wrong with it if you've checked everything is ok to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My advice: pull left, and don't undertake. You may lose a couple of spaces, but you'll have the moral victory. More importantly, you'll have a nice empty stretch in front of you, which gives you great visibility and makes for a more relaxing drive.

The difference in journey time is negligible, but you're more likely to reach your destination in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What I really want to know though, is what is taking off from a junction too fast? I don't get it?? I always leave junctions quite quickly, what's wrong with it if you've checked everything is ok to go?

Wheelspin is generally frowned upon my our uniformed overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lumen wrote: »
    Wheelspin is generally frowned upon my our uniformed overlords.

I've been in cars at certain junctions where to pull off without wheelspin would mean an accelerating rate of about 0-60 in 4 minutes.

It's easy to not worry about wheelspin in low powered cars(such as mine) other cars..quite a challenge sometimes!(r33 skyline for example)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You'd annoy me if you drive after June yes...because though it was against the law beofre then there was no enforcement and the accepted status quo was that driving was fine. It's people who push too far that are the problem. I'm shocked people had the nerve to complain when the law started being enforced.

Wahay I annoy a ignorant ahole.:D

Mmmm popcorn....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

You'll probably get a letter in the post to go visit the liasion officer, thats what happened a pal of mine, he's through it now, and he's just got his full licence today so all is well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

what I'm wondering is if you were driving unaccompanied, surely you were violating the conditions of your insurance. So I wonder if they could do you for driving with no insurance

Its not breaking any terms of your insurance, when this law came in, it was all over the news that the insurance companies were still going to cover prov drivers, accompanied or not.

The post about the JLO sounds about right, a chap i work with was cought speeding a few years ago and he got one, think he visited his house once in the year or somethin.

And will people stop going on about driving unaccompanied after July, its always been against the law to drive alone on you're first/third/fourth prov licence so...does that mean...YOU were breaking the law too? NO NEVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    its always been against the law to drive alone on you're first/third/fourth prov licence so...does that mean...YOU were breaking the law too? NO NEVER!!!
    Prior to the changes on June 30th, those who had held a Provisional Licence in category B, and who had held that Provisional on or before the 12th August 1985, were exempt from the requirement to be accompanied. ;)

(Those holding Provisional licences/Learner Permits for categories A, A1, M and W are not required to be accompanied).

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Mmmm popcorn....:pac:

Mmmmm infraction (for insulting other members)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Nice to know one can now be deemed ignorant for obeying the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=276

@OP
    Dangerous driving is a serious offence. the fact that you only hold a provisional and were driving unaccompanied does make it somewhat worse. IMO, take your punishment. i'm not a judge so cannot comment on what your prunishment will be but I suspect €1000 fine would be the least.
    @ everyone commenting on the rights or wrongs of driving unaccompanied while on a provisional.
    Comments such as - 'you're a muppet for breaking the law' or 'I'd never break the law like that because I'm such a good boy', are a waste of good thread time. Try to answer the Op's original question. If you'd like to give your opinion on whether people have the right to bend and/or break the law, start a new thread or something.

I'm going to bed now as I have to drive unaccompanied to work in the morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

peasant wrote: »
    Mmmmm infraction (for insulting other members)
    Mmm more popcorn.
    Nice to know one can now be deemed ignorant for obeying the law.

No, I was meerly refeering to your name calling earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,173 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thread-Crap-Parental_Advisory.gif

Peasant, Unkel please do us all a favour here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

+1, shut it down me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

While Im here.

The English may be incorrect by the poster but one of those texter type people got a job for North Cork Council. In Buttevant there is a sign which says

"Bin der, dont do dat"

• Advertisement

closed by popular request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement