Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

i got caught driving without a full license driver wat will happen to me???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This so called law is at the discretion of the guards. I.e depending on what guard you get, determines your punishment.
    eh, no.

It depends on the Judge and what mood they're in that day. the Guard has no say in the punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Jesus lads will ye cop on leave the poor boy or girl alone, well first off what did the guard say?

Surely the guard told you whether or not she/he would follow it up or not? Well imo guards should spend more time pulling over scum than innocent drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

My point was that the guard has the power to give a slap on the wrist or summons? or fine ? you dont see many judges pulling over cars do you?

Resi12 wrote: »
    Well imo guards should spend more time pulling over scum than innocent drivers.

Agreed but, innocent would incinuate that the driver was in no way in the wrong! although i dont see the accompanied driver being a problem, dangerous driving is a hazard to other motorists as well as her/himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Agreed but, innocent would incinuate that the driver was in no way in the wrong! although i dont see the accompanied driver being a problem, dangerous driving is a hazard to other motorists as well as her/himself!

I no, I never quite got what a person with no control of the car and can be as young as the provisional driver can do to actually help in case something happened..

While I do see it can help in other ways I think its complete rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

My aunty's, uncle's, brother's, son's, dog's, nephew's owner, got a fine too afaik.

So it was your ma?

I'd say you'll get a fine €300/€500 possibly up to a grand. If you were ok to the garda he might do nothing and just let it go etc. If he's in an unmarked I'm sure he's probably got bigger fish to fry and couldn't be bothered with paperwork.

'Slow down and wise up'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My point was that the guard has the power to give a slap on the wrist or summons? or fine ? you dont see many judges pulling over cars do you?
    True but a guard can also be reprimanded for failing to act.
    It depends on the situation and how 'dangerous' it was - yes, they have discretion but it has limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

darcyd1991 wrote: »
    hi!im 17!i actually got pulled over for dangurous driving den wen asked to produce my license i only had a provisional!!
    it wasnt too dangerous i just pulled out off a junction too fast and an under cover car pulled me over!!i have never been in trouble with the police be4 either nd i had no other passengers in my car!!! wat do ppl tink dey will do 2 mii!!im pretty worried about it?:confused::(

Learn to speak English, firstly.

Secondly, as someone who was put off the road in an attempt to abide by this new law in June, until I passed the test, it makes my blood boil to see people flouting what is possibly the best-known and clearest-cut law in the book and expecting to get away with it in true Irish fashion.

If you're prosecuted for dangerous driving, you could be looking at nasty things like custodial sentences and fines, but I'd say from the way you attempted to describe what happened that the Garda more than likely won't charge you with it.

As others have said, €1-2k seems to be the going rate in court for driving unaccompanied.

Moral of the story = stop driving (edit: unaccompanied that is)and pay more attention to your English classes. You have absolutely no excuse whatsoever. Twat (Edit: bit harsh, apols).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

bullpost wrote: »
    Not necessarily AFAIK. Friend of mine got pulled in similar circumstances lately and let off with warning.

:rolleyes: typical bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

sdonn_1 wrote: »

Secondly, as someone who was put off the road in an attempt to abide by this new law in June, until I passed the test, it makes my blood boil to see people flouting what is possibly the best-known and clearest-cut law in the book and expecting to get away with it in true Irish fashion.

If you're prosecuted for dangerous driving, you could be looking at nasty things like custodial sentences and fines, but I'd say from the way you attempted to describe what happened that the Garda more than likely won't charge you with it.

As others have said, €1-2k seems to be the going rate in court for driving unaccompanied.

Moral of the story = stop driving and pay more attention to your English classes. You have absolutely no excuse whatsoever. Twat.

:eek:

Twat? What's your problem? Why don't you just go do your test and stop whining because your mother took the car off you...

• Advertisement

Moral of the story = stop driving and pay more attention to your English classes. You have absolutely no excuse whatsoever. Twat.
    If she has problems with english, you certainly have problems with maths. Stop driving isnt the key, driving more carefully is. Not gonna rant on about how the whole "learning to drive" system here needs to be reformed, but maybe a few driving lessons is what she needs! P.s. which law are you referring to, dangerous driving or unaccompanied driving??

If she has problems with english, you certainly have problems with maths. Stop driving isnt the key, driving more carefully is. Not gonna rant on about how the whole "learning to drive" system here needs to be reformed, but maybe a few driving lessons is what she needs! P.s. which law are you referring to, dangerous driving or unaccompanied driving??

Sorry. That should have read "stop driving unaccompanied".

I have a particular bee in my bonnet about this so I'll retract the word twat. Bit harsh, accepted. For the record, I have a full licence. But I played by the rules to get it (after 30th June that is) and it's the people who go on doing it that annoy me.

Twat? What's your problem? Did your mother stop you driving?
    Not going to be near €1,000. Not in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

OP, it's people like you who f**k it up for the rest of us provisional drivers. Like many others I pay for professional tuition, and I'd love to be able to drive unaccompanied - but the fact of the matter is I can't as there is a law preventing it . I'm sure the Guards reason for pulling you over was justifiable and could stand up in court and if it does I hope that they prosecute you to the full extent of the law.

I'm not sure how you thought you could get away with it, and how you think that it's acceptable to drive unaccompanied and dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

darcyd1991 wrote: »
    hi!im 17!i actually got pulled over for dangurous driving den wen asked to produce my license i only had a provisional!!
    it wasnt too dangerous i just pulled out off a junction too fast and an under cover car pulled me over!!i have never been in trouble with the police be4 either nd i had no other passengers in my car!!! wat do ppl tink dey will do 2 mii!!im pretty worried about it?:confused::(

First of all, learn English. It will be a massive help throughout this whole thing.

Secondly be grateful that your careless driving did not result in a collision with another car as the driver you collided with would've been right up the creek due to your selfishness and carelessness.

studiorat wrote: »

Twat? What's your problem? Why don't you just go do your test and stop whining because your mother took the car off you...

Twat? What's your problem? Did your mother stop you driving?
    Not going to be near €1,000. Not in Dublin anyway.

Was there a need for double posts? And no, I chose to stop driving because 1) There was a law that was actually being enforced against it and
    2) It carries a hefty fine

'nuff said.

Sorry. That should have read "stop driving unaccompanied".

I have a particular bee in my bonnet about this so I'll retract the word twat. Bit harsh, accepted. For the record, I have a full licence. But I played by the rules to get it (after 30th June that is) and it's the people who go on doing it that annoy me.
    I drove without a driver for 3 months. Do i annoy you? Considering i could write pages of people who cut me off, drove an inch from my bumper, undertook me etc etc. Bad driving is all around us, young and old. Full licence and provo alike! P.s. in that 3 month bracket i did not have a scrath on my car and its still in that shape now !

Babybing wrote: »
    First of all, learn English. It will be a massive help throughout this whole thing.

Secondly be grateful that your careless driving did not result in a collision with another car as the driver you collided with would've been right up the creek due to your selfishness and carelessness.
    And your advice would be................ Can we move on from the bad english please!

I drove without a driver for 3 months. Do i annoy you? Considering i could write pages of people who cut me off, drove an inch from my bumper, undertook me etc etc. Bad driving is all around us, young and old. Full licence and provo alike! P.s. in that 3 month bracket i did not have a scrath on my car and its still in that shape now !

You'd annoy me if you drive after June yes...because though it was against the law beofre then there was no enforcement and the accepted status quo was that driving was fine. It's people who push too far that are the problem. I'm shocked people had the nerve to complain when the law started being enforced.

Re. bad drivers - agreed. But there's a difference between a bad driver with a full licence and a bad driver who's also flouting the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

poor kid looking for advice and some fools abusing him/her. Just answer the question or keep quiet. Hopefully you get off with it .

• Advertisement

In my opinion dangerous driving is dangerous driving? Were you caught and fined , or who "put" you off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Slightly OT, but it's hard to be undertaken when you're not hogging the overtaking lane. Add in your being regularly tailgated and cut off and it sounds to me like you still can't drive.

Was there a need for double posts? And no, I chose to stop driving because 1) There was a law that was actually being enforced against it and
    2) It carries a hefty fine

'nuff said.

Never mind the double post Mr English teacher, where do you get off calling people names?

I'm shocked people had the nerve to complain when the law started being enforced.

It would seem to me that there's too many people who are just looking for an excuse to "shocked" and "indignant".

Never mind the double post Mr English teacher, where do you get off calling people names?

Actually I got off half a page back when I apologised for it. You didn't notice though because you were too busy slating me for it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but it's hard to be undertaken when you're not hogging the overtaking lane. Add in your being regularly tailgated and cut off and it sounds to me like you still can't drive.

Actually i was over taking someone in the left lane at the speed limit , when a bmw booted up behind and squeezed between me and the car i was overtaking. Some people dont like to travel the speed limit i suppose, and by the sounds of your talk, your one of them? You've never been tailgated etc? My point was, the this happens regardless of who's driving behind the wheel, full licence or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,364 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the most irritating part of the OP is the use of 'mii'

It has 1 letter more than 'me'. Also, the use of Nintendo references is annoying me to, but can't work out why.

Actually I got off half a page back when I apologised for it. You didn't notice though because you were too busy slating me for it.

I didn't see it. Maybe you'd like to show me a quote?

Edit I found it, you didn't apologise, you edited your first post. The one where you called the OP a twat...

I didn't see it. Maybe you'd like to show me a quote?

Edit I found it, you didn't apologise, you edited your first post. The one where you called the OP a twat...
    fail.

he did, read the thread again.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Actually i was over taking someone in the left lane at the speed limit , when a bmw booted up behind and squeezed between me and the car i was overtaking. Some people dont like to travel the speed limit i suppose, and by the sounds of your talk, your one of them? You've never been tailgated etc? My point was, the this happens regardless of who's driving behind the wheel, full licence or not!
    This does not happen regardless of who's driving, it happens to you. There's a simple solution to your problem - drive in the left lane, and only enter the overtaking lane to overtake. You will find that you are never again undertaken and only rarely tailgated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement