Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next generation "NCF" Mobile phones will eliminate global cash.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

King Mob wrote: »
    Do you have any source or evidence to back up this claim?
    How do you know it's true?
    What requires a source or evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

What requires a source or evidence?

Your claim.
    Did you know if you pay for a flight with cash; you get flagged straight away, and your records are looked into?

So where are you getting this fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

My sentence on a message board requires evidence and also a source.Have a nice day now.

My sentence on a message board requires evidence and also a source.Have a nice day now.
    So then your claim isn't true?

If you state something as a fact, please produce some evidence, otherwise it's merely your opinion. Also, abuse of the report post function can result in a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nothing that we don't know of already. :)

Im surprised that there is no mention of the buzz word "NFC" in this aticle.

Debit and credit cards may become a thing of the past if a new trial involving Barclays and a host of US mobile phone companies bears fruit.

The British bank has reportedly teamed up with AT&T, Verizon and TMobile to test out technology that would allow US consumers to buy products and services simply by waving their phone at a reader.

The trials – involving smartphones such as Blackberries and iPhones – involve embedding a radio frequency identification (RFID) tag inside a phone to allow it to be linked to a customer's bank account.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/7923093/Smartphones-pose-a-threat-to-debit-and-credit-cards-in-the-US.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

Nothing that we don't know of already. :)

Im surprised that there is no mention of the buzz word "NFC" in this aticle.

Debit and credit cards may become a thing of the past if a new trial involving Barclays and a host of US mobile phone companies bears fruit.

The British bank has reportedly teamed up with AT&T, Verizon and TMobile to test out technology that would allow US consumers to buy products and services simply by waving their phone at a reader.

The trials – involving smartphones such as Blackberries and iPhones – involve embedding a radio frequency identification (RFID) tag inside a phone to allow it to be linked to a customer's bank account.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/7923093/Smartphones-pose-a-threat-to-debit-and-credit-cards-in-the-US.html

And it's optional. My Mum doesn't have a mobile, and my dad uses a 12 year old nokia. Suggesting that this is a compulsory scheme is puerile nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Its about replacing one cashless technology with another. Still cash around.

Its about replacing one cashless technology with another. Still cash around.
    Making one cashless system more attractive and trendier than the other.

You approach some young one on the streets with a smart card and ask them would they use this instead of cash, the most probable answer would be to fcuk off. Offer the same person a free I Phone and more than likely they would fall for it.

It probably won't be too long before major banks will start subsidising these devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

OK, so trendy people will ditch debit card and use their iPhone Mk 10.

Still cash in wallet.

People that aren't trendy will continue to use cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

You approach some young one on the streets with a smart card and ask them would they use this instead of cash, the most probable answer would be to fcuk off. Offer the same person a free I Phone and more than likely they would fall for it.

It probably won't be too long before major banks will start subsidising these devices.

probably
    its always probaly........

Since this thread started over three years ago NFC has been rather slow to catch on in this part of the world compared to the Far East. When the system dose arrive it will hit the communications device market overnight in the same manner as camera phones did in the last decade and it won't be just mobile phones.

The system is already gearing up to indoctrinating kids in the new up and coming highly invasive form of cashless system.

Nintendo to include NFC in its next games console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Or more likely, Nintendo are looking to cash in on the amazing popularity of things like Skylanders.

Which makes a lot more sense then Nintendo - the arch conservatives of the video gaming world, bundling NCF technology into the console formerly known as the WiiU because they want to "indoctrinating kids in the new up and coming highly invasive form of cashless system".

I mean, what does Nintendo even gain from this?

Or more likely, Nintendo are looking to cash in on the amazing popularity of things like Skylanders.

Which makes a lot more sense then Nintendo - the arch conservatives of the video gaming world, bundling NCF technology into the console formerly known as the WiiU because they want to "indoctrinating kids in the new up and coming highly invasive form of cashless system".

I mean, what does Nintendo even gain from this?
    "The Wii U, expected to ship during the second half of 2012, is to come with NFC functionality built into its next-generation controller, allowing players to interact with NFC-enabled figures and cards as well as to pay for games and other items".

Just like mobile phones game consuls can do a hell of a lot more than just play games, ie watch the Internet, take pictures, play music, watch full length movies on HDD or DVD, adding NFC is just another attraction to market the product just like adding it to Mobile Phones.

"The Wii U, expected to ship during the second half of 2012, is to come with NFC functionality built into its next-generation controller, allowing players to interact with NFC-enabled figures and cards as well as to pay for games and other items".

Just like mobile phones game consuls can do a hell of a lot more than just play games, ie watch the Internet, take pictures, play music, watch full length movies on HDD or DVD, adding NFC is just another attraction to market the product just like adding it to Mobile Phones.
    RTDH you realise that you have been able to use your credit card to buy games from your console for a couple of years now.
    How would this technology make this a problem?
    What exactly is the danger here?

RTDH you realise that you have been able to use your credit card to buy games from your console for a couple of years now.
    How would this technology make this a problem?
    What exactly is the danger here?
    The subject of this thread is about NFC technology incorporated into hand held devices and not credit cards. :rolleyes:

The subject of this thread is about NFC technology incorporated into hand held devices and not credit cards. :rolleyes:

So how does paying for games with a credit card differ from paying for games with NFC?
    How is one more horrible or dangerous than the other?
    How does the evil conspiracy benefit from one more than the other?

So how does paying for games with a credit card differ from paying for games with NFC?
    How is one more horrible or dangerous than the other?
    How does the evil conspiracy benefit from one more than the other?
    Do us all a favour and quit trolling.

Do us all a favour and quit trolling.

I'm not trolling, I'm just asking you some questions about the theory you are putting forward.
    If you don't want to answer simple questions, try getting a blog were no one will bother you with critical thought.

• Advertisement

I'm not trolling, I'm just asking you some questions about the theory you are putting forward.
    If you don't want to answer simple questions, try getting a blog were no one will bother you with critical thought.

If you followed the thread from the beginning you might find some answers. :rolleyes:

If you followed the thread from the beginning you might find some answers. :rolleyes:

I have, you don't provide any despite being repeatedly asked.

You just seem to be warning that the technology is evil because it's new, with nothing else to support it, and you claim that there is multiple programs to get people to accept this technology when all of this stuff already applies to credit cards.

So again you warn that Nintendo are part of the global evil conspiracy to hook kids on the technology, even though they have offered the service to buy game with a credit card on their console for years now.
    So how does the latest technology you are trying to make sound scary make this situation any worse, or bad in the first place?

If you can't provide an answer for this simply question, it means that there's something wrong with your theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I don't honestly see what the worry is either.

I pay for most things without cash. In fact this system has been in place for over a decade and hasn't replaced cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

As has been pointed out to you, this has been the standard practice since the start of the current generation, with Nintendo Points, Xbox Live points and the PSN as well as the steam wallet.
    "Cashless transactions" if you must call them that, are a big, big deal. It's a massive revenue stream for publishers and platform holders alike and has been since about 2006.
    And they operate under the exact same premise. Add your bank details, and then spend. All transactions are monitored and logged.

So, aside from your contention that NFC is sinister simply because you say so, how does the NFC technology being added to the WiiU constitute anything untoward?
    Or indeed, anything new?

This is somewhat true - and as an aside, I am very well versed in what games consoles can do. And I would imagine I know a lot more than you.

Nintendo are adding NFC to the WiiU - because it's something they believe is an attractive feature. Not for the reasons you think though.

There has been a proven market value in skylanders and the like (don't know? google it) and this is the kind of gimmick Nintendo loves to package into their consoles.
    They can't compete on raw horse power so they try and offer something different. It was motion controls in the Wii, now they have their tablet control system and incidental things like NFC, simply because coupled with games that use skylanders style miniatures it's practically a license to print money.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

Im not sure

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I don't honestly see what the worry is either.

I pay for most things without cash. In fact this system has been in place for over a decade and hasn't replaced cash.

Everytime you take cash out of an ATM machine your payment details and location of transaction is disclosed on your statement and kept on record for two years under current EU data retention directives.

Using NFC or payment APPs is like carrying a miniature ATM machine about in your arse pocket because payment details and location of transaction will also be disclosed and kept on record for up to two years under data retention directives

"Transferring cash to be as easy as texting a friend thanks to new smartphone app"

On a similar note, this APP will also pinpoint your location and time on every single transaction.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101820/Barclays-Pingit-App-Transferring-cash-easy-texting-friend.html

Everytime you take cash out of an ATM machine your payment details and location of transaction is disclosed on your statement and kept on record for two years under current EU data retention directives.

Using NFC or payment APPs is like carrying a miniature ATM machine about in your arse pocket because payment details and location of transaction will also be disclosed and kept on record for up to two years under data retention directives

"Transferring cash to be as easy as texting a friend thanks to new smartphone app"

On a similar note, this APP will also pinpoint your location and time on every single transaction.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101820/Barclays-Pingit-App-Transferring-cash-easy-texting-friend.html
    First, that article does not mention anything about recording your position. And there's no reason to think that it's any different to connecting to the web or sending a text.
    Second, so what? Why is this a bad thing?

Yup, I'm aware of it, but how is it a problem?

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm aware of it, but how is it a problem?
    Would you have a problem disclosing your GSM coordinates and other personal details to the system every time you wanted to make a simple purchase among your close friends and family members?

Letting the system know where exactly you are, how much is being transacted. In some cases the authorities could request remote access to your phone to check out text messages and other correspondence leading up to your personal electronic cash transaction.

• Advertisement

Would you have a problem disclosing your GSM coordinates and other personal details to the system every time you wanted to make a simple purchase among your close friends and family members?

Letting the system know where exactly you are, how much is being transacted. In some cases letting the authorities remote access to your phone to check out text messages and other correspondence leading up to your personal electronic cash transaction.

No I wouldn't. I'm not worried about the dozens if not hundreds of times I am captured on cctv every time I am in the city either.

If anything, that information sits there completely unused, unless of course a credit card or phone gets stolen, in which case its useful.

They've been using this phone-pay system in places like Nigeria for 5 years now.

Advertisement