Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and weightlifting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

In fact, women who lift weights will not only NOT turn into men, but will reap many benefits, ranging from looking nicely toned to less risk of osteoporosis in later life. Not to mention the fact that if you ever need to lift heavy things in your day to day life that becomes much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Babybing wrote: »
    Eh the human male is stronger physically than the human female. Im afraid thats a fact not a sexist comment.

It amazes me that anybody would get offended by that and try to argue it.

Its the equivalent of a man being upset when somebody tells them they cannot give birth:rolleyes: Seriously people need to relax about this.

Did you actually read the thread?
    Or the main issues people had with Nuravictus's posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

g'em wrote: »
    A woman can never naturally look like that, it is biologically, hormonally impossible.

Except maybe Rosie

Anyway yeah, here are my views on the several themes running through this thread.

Is it ok for women to lift heavy weights? hell yeah, health benefits aside, they're usually super hot as a result.

Will women turn into she-hulks if they lift weights? Nope, unless they start doin something drastic with their hormone levels.

Are men stronger than women generally? Yes, speaking in generalities, I would think so.

Are there women stronger than your average man? Definitely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wasabi wrote: »
    In fact, women who lift weights will not only NOT turn into men, but will reap many benefits, ranging from looking nicely toned to less risk of osteoporosis in later life. Not to mention the fact that if you ever need to lift heavy things in your day to day life that becomes much easier.
    I agree. If I can be pervy/chauvinistic/blokish for a moment, the best women's bodies I've ever been with have all included weights in their fitness regime. Not those poncy little pink "weights" either. IMHO if you're a woman and want a bum to die for, squats, squats and more squats.* The handy thing is they didn't have to starve themselves either. Muscle burns calories like a bugger even when relaxed. So they could have their cake and eat it, so to speak. Result all around I would have thought.

*allied with good diet and cardio so as I don't get into trouble with the fitness forum mods.:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

pah, this is the 36th reply and still no pics of some natural female lifters!!!!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh and some of the sexiest women I have seen and known lift weights, and they are by no means manly. Also in relation to women who train to the max becoming manly, you only need to meet g'em and wasabi to know that argument goes out the window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

pah, this is the 36th reply and still no pics of some natural female lifters!!!!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I was afraid of the ban stick or accusations of being a chauvinistic pig. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Nuravictus wrote: »
    Its more of a blood flow issue if I remember correctly. A mans heart will just stop under the stress & trauma. I’m not 100% sure.
    ??? A man's heart is much larger than a woman's and pumps (on average) twice the volume of blood. And there is rarely trauma (in the medical sense) in childbirth.

Also, re. periods, if a women did a lot of heavy exercise, couldn't her body fat go too low to menstruate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rarely trauma ?
    ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Also, re. periods, if a women did a lot of heavy exercise, couldn't her body fat go too low to menstruate?
    Yes, that can certainly happen, it happened to me when I dieted down to very low bodyfat. Amenhorrea (the absence of menstruation) is somewhat common in high end athletes but it's down to low bodyfat levels and stress and not increased testosterone as has been suggested on the thread.

As for the photos, I have no problem with them as long as they promote the idea of women lifting.

In other words, no Jamie Eason shots please.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As for the photos, I have no problem with them as long as they promote the idea of women lifting.

/Googles Jamie Eason and approves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I'd opened this thread expecting to see a picture of her!

Advertisement