Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and weightlifting

Options
  • 03-11-2008 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Nuravictus wrote: »
    Woman are by nature weaker than men but men cant have kids. So whats the issue ?Yes its nature really.

It depends on how you define strength.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

There are probably many men I am stronger physically than at this point and many that I am not. I am far from alone in this position.

Im sure if you took the strongest man, [and by this I assume you mean in capacity to lift things? throw things? speed? endurance? not sure exactly what you mean] and compared against the strongest woman [by same definition] the man would exceed her, but there are far too many variables in considering which gender as a whole is stronger.

And no men cant have babies. But labour takes an enormous amount of strength, maybe the kind of strength a man doesn't have?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

There are probably many men I am stronger physically than at this point and many that I am not. I am far from alone in this position.

Lets have a fight :P I hope you are not 6.4 & a tank.
    Im sure if you took the strongest man, [and by this I assume you mean in capacity to lift things? throw things? speed? endurance? not sure exactly what you mean] and compared against the strongest woman [by same definition] the man would exceed her, but there are far too many variables in considering which gender as a whole is stronger.

Yes basically but that woman would had her breasts get smaller & would stop having a period. Basically be very manly.
    And no men cant have babies. But labour takes an enormous amount of strength, maybe the kind of strength a man doesn't have?
    Its more of a blood flow issue if I remember correctly. A mans heart will just stop under the stress & trauma. I’m not 100% sure.

I am 5'4 and 120 lbs. But I carry around a 30lb baby a lot of the time, lugging around carseats, assembling cribs, and do so while doing laundry, carrying shopping and am rarely off my feet before 9pm. Motherhood has given me, forced me to develop to formidable upper body strength. I can lift things my brothers struggle with.

I am sure I am not alone in this, I am sure this is the case with most women who have had children, and I would bet they would be stronger than a young geek who sits at a computer all day.
    Its more of a blood flow issue if I remember correctly. A mans heart will just stop under the stress & trauma. I’m not 100% sure.

Wrong again. It is endurance, force, elasticity, and power.

But honestly, I don't really think this is germane to the issues, do you?

I am 5'4 and 120 lbs. But I carry around a 30lb baby a lot of the time, lugging around carseats, assembling cribs, and do so while doing laundry, carrying shopping and am rarely off my feet before 9pm. Motherhood has given me, forced me to develop to formidable upper body strength. I can lift things my brothers struggle with.

Super Mom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Would you only be prepared to fight her if she was smaller/ weaker than you? How delightfully 'manly'.
    Nuravictus wrote:
    Yes basically but that woman would had her breasts get smaller & would stop having a period. Basically be very manly.
    orly? So strong women essentially look like men? As a current holder of three world strength records I'd really love for you to meet me sometime and see just how innacurate (and frankly stereotypical, insulting and close-minded) comments like that really are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Eh, whut?

Links?

Is this going to be another thread where you pour out poorly thought out opinion? Also, if you really think the way your posts indicate you do then i seriously hope you stop posting "no man" , "men think" etc as if you even come close to representing the general opinion of males.

Because last time i checked, there was no "general opinon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

g'em wrote: »
    orly? So strong women essentially look like men? As a current holder of three world strength records I'd really love for you to meet me sometime and see just how innacurate (and frankly stereotypical, insulting and close-minded) comments like that really are.

lol, doing nothing for your argument there love:p he is obviously trying to get a rise out of yee and its worked a treat. you have descended to his level by giving any kind of importance to physical strength. you can do it all, strength and beauty, ye must be the catch of the day.

you have descended to his level by giving any kind of importance to physical strength. you can do it all, strength and beauty, ye must be the catch of the day.
    I hold physical strength as greatly important for me personally actually, so I'm not descending to any level by discussing it. I never said I was beautiful nor did I say I was any kind of catch. If you go back and read my post I'm merely refuting his claim that strong women will look manly, which I definitely don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

right you are ma'am

no offence meant, please dont hurt me >_<

Would you only be prepared to fight her if she was smaller/ weaker than you? How delightfully 'manly'.

Jesus I was joking :(. I wouldnt fight a woman unless she was trying to kill me or something.

Im talking about the MAX here & yes woman who do weight lifting sports do tend to have that happen.

I said in my first post men are not equal to woman. That was a mistake or rather a bad choice of words. I like personnal love very smart woman and I always encourage my female friends to get a third level education. Having someone who is well informed is great :).
    sam34 wrote: »
    :confused:
    what biology book are you reading??? the reason men cant give birth is that they do not possess the internal organs necessary to conceive and nurture a foetus to full term. without the foetus, there aint going to be any giving birth!

likewise, im not sure where you're getting the idea that prolonged strenuous activity and pain would just "stop a mans heart"?

It was a simple comparsion between a male & a female ablities in nature.

• Advertisement

Im talking about the MAX here & yes woman who do weight lifting sports do tend to have that happen.

Links? Again?

And i mean some kind of proof that a woman who begins weightlifting will look more like a dude, not pictures of women who weight lift and are big etc.

Also, the issue for a woman and her period will normally hinge around bodyfat levels, as opposed to lean body mass.

Also, what is the MAX, out of interest?

Dragan wrote: »
    Links? Again?

And i mean some kind of proof that a woman who begins weightlifting will look more like a dude, not pictures of women who weight lift and are big etc.

Also, the issue for a woman and her period will normally hinge around bodyfat levels, as opposed to lean body mass.

Also, what is the MAX, out of interest?

I am talking about power lifters here. The people who paint themselfs in suntan. Its to do with the levels of testosterone the woman gets from doing it last time I checked. I watched on program on it on tv.

EDIT: Just google "testosterone stops Menstruation" if you don't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I am talking about power lifters here. The people who paint themselfs in suntan. Its to do with the levels of testosterone the woman gets from doing it last time I checked. I watched on program on it on tv.
    You're talking out your arse tbh, power lifting has nothing to do with sun tan. If you can't even get basic terms or references right how do you expect anyone to take your "argument" seriously?

You're talking out your arse tbh, power lifting has nothing to do with sun tan. If you can't even get basic terms or references right how do you expect anyone to take your "argument" seriously?

Just google "testosterone stops Menstruation" if you don't believe me.

Go Google it & tell me i am talking out of my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

No, YOU are the one making these ridiculous arguments. You need to back them up with sources, and 'google this' or 'I saw it on tv' is not a source. You're proposing (from what I can see) that a high muscle mass in women causes an increased level of testosterone. Now back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

OK, you need to go educate yourself on the difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding for starters. Powerlifters compete in squat, deadlift and benchpress. Bodybuilders (the ones with the fake tan) compete on the basis of having the best physique. Two very different events.

Some female powerlifters and bodybuilders may use substances that might make them appear more masculine (if they take shedloads), but it is a consequence of taking drugs rather than lifting weights per se.

A woman who lifts, however heavy, and does not take steroids/hormones will not end up looking masculine. It's just impossible.

EDIT: Just google "testosterone stops Menstruation" if you don't believe me.
    1) For sun tan read bodybuilding, not power lifting.

2) Of course Testerosterone stops menstraution, do you know why? Testosterone is the MALE sex hormone, present in both males and females. Oestrogen is the FEMALE sex hormone, present in both males and females. The difference between the two will be the levels present in both sexs.

However, the amount of Ostrogen that males can produce will be limited and the amount of Testosterone that a female can produce is limited.

What you are implying is that the simple fact of adding lean mass will increase the levels of Testosterone she can produce by a large degree. This is not the case.

Edit : Since you asked, you're talking out your ****ing ass.

Gauge wrote: »
    No, YOU are the one making these ridiculous arguments. You need to back them up with sources, and 'google this' or 'I saw it on tv' is not a source. You're proposing (from what I can see) that a high muscle mass in women causes an increased level of testosterone. Now back it up.

High Muscle Mass in the sense of bodybuilding & not overall body defination. What I am saying is a normal woman who is 5.6 & has low body fat won't have this happen but a woman who does powerlifting and looks like this.

437x

From the first link on Google.

Pelvic and chest/breast exams:

Many people who have a uterus, ovaries or other "female bits" prefer to not have routine pelvic exams with PAP smears. While taking testosterone can and usually does
    stop menstruation, it does not stop the need for regular
    gynecologic (GYN) exams.

High Muscle Mass in the sense of bodybuilding & not overall body defination. What I am saying is a normal woman who is 5.6 & has low body fat won't have this happen but a woman who does powerlifting and looks like this.

The woman in the picture you posted takes anabolic steroids.

The article piece you quoted is aimed directly at woman who inject testosterone.

I have to be honest, the only thing that amazes me about you is that you figured out how to type.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yeah, I'd have to agree. You can really over-analyse everything to death. Now if the only TVs shows available that had female protagonists were all like Sex and the City, then there would be a stronger argument. But just looking at one show in isolation...I don't think it really does much.

You could also argue, isn't it imitating life? There are a lot of women out there who are just like those women. Isn't that one of the reasons it became so popular?

Edit: Strong women ftw!

• Advertisement

The woman in the picture you posted takes anabolic steroids.

The article piece you quoted is aimed directly at woman who inject testosterone.

I have to be honest, the only thing that amazes me about you is that you figured out how to type.

We were talking about the MAX that a man & woman can become. I stated that the woman would have her period stop. I proved my point.

We were talking about the MAX that a man & woman can become. I stated that the woman would have her period & breats get smaller. I proved my point.

You didn't.

You showed that if a woman INJECTS large amounts of a male sex hormone then she will become more muscular etc, have period issues, a loss of bodyfat etc.

Please tell me how this point pertains to a normal woman, training in a strength sport, who is NOT injecting testosterone?

You didn't.

You showed that if a woman INJECTS large amounts of a male sex hormone then she will become more muscular etc, have period issues, a loss of bodyfat etc.

Please tell me how this point pertains to a normal woman, training in a strength sport, who is NOT injecting testosterone?

I was replying to someone post on the matter earlier. It was the MAX they could get and this would be in my opinion the max a woman could get. Maybe my statement was too general which with hindsight it was.

I was replying to someone post on the matter earlier. It was the MAX they could get and this would be in my opinion the max a woman could get. Maybe my statement was too general which with hidesight it was.

No, your mistake was in thinking you can draw any comparison between a natural and an artificially affected organism.

Would you compare the abilities and characteristics of a male on steroids to a male not on them without pointing out that one is on steroids and the other not?

Your statement wasn't too general, it's just that very little that you posted was accurate, backed up or made any sense.

If you would like to partake in a debate then at least come informed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I was replying to someone post on the matter earlier. It was the MAX they could get and this would be in my opinion the max a woman could get. Maybe my statement was too general which with hindsight it was.

Nuravictus, as a woman who has been weight training for the last 4 years, I can tell you that it is absolutely impossible for a woman to naturally get herself into the type of body that you posted. My body just does not produce the levels of testosterone necessary. Which is exactly why those women, who want to look like that, have to use artificial means. I mean, I can lift reasonably heavy weights and yes, I'll get stronger but I just can't bulk up like that. AND I happen to have a more muscular body-type already more suited to sprinting than long-distance, for example.

If it's any consolation, I used to think like that and I'd say 90% of the female population still think like that. Unfortunately, it puts a lot of them off lifting weights and getting nice and strong.

Ahh sorry off-topic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If it was that easy to build muscle I wouldn't be a scrawny bugger. QED

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The threads have been split.

Nuravictus, you're grossly misinterpreting and misrepresenting the information to hand.

Those women look manly because of injected testosterone, nothing else.

A woman can never naturally look like that, it is biologically, hormonally impossible. So before you go making sweeping statements along the lines of "srong women look like men" get your facts in order, otherwise you sound ridiculous and ignorant and it's really quite insulting to those of us who bust our proverbial, non-existant, couldn't-produce-any-testosterone-if-we-tried balls getting strong by purely natural means.

Just google "testosterone stops Menstruation" if you don't believe me.

Go Google it & tell me i am talking out of my arse.

So does pregnancy, anorexia, and menopause. What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Eh the human male is stronger physically than the human female. Im afraid thats a fact not a sexist comment.

It amazes me that anybody would get offended by that and try to argue it.

Its the equivalent of a man being upset when somebody tells them they cannot give birth:rolleyes: Seriously people need to relax about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Babybing wrote: »
    Eh the human male is stronger physically than the human female. Im afraid thats a fact not a sexist comment.

It amazes me that anybody would get offended by that and try to argue it.

Its the equivalent of a man being upset when somebody tells them they cannot give birth:rolleyes: Seriously people need to relax about this.

Did you read the thread? :confused:

Advertisement