Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday: A day of rest - it felt so alien.

Today: 6 Mile recovery run this morning. Woke up at 6am, so rather than sit around in bed waiting for the alarm to go off at 7:50, I decided to head out and get my recovery run done. Achilles and calfs (calves?) are still quite sore, so I'm trying to sort out a bit of a rub for Thursday morning. Also, still feeling a little tired, so I might take an extra rest day later in the week. Nothing to get alarmed about, as I didn't feel that great heading into Barcelona either, but I still have sore tendons in my foot, which I'd hoped would be fine by now.

I'm eating, sleeping and dreaming about the marathon at this stage. When I see 6:15 on the clock, I think 'that's a little quick, must ease off the pace a little'. When I see the 84 bus, I think that it's a solid split for the first half. I don't see food anymore, I see fuel. Tension building.. The idea of a beer or 5 afterwards is keeping me sane... Must run....

Summary: 6 miles in 49 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm eating, sleeping and dreaming about the marathon at this stage. When I see 6:15 on the clock, I think 'that's a little quick, must ease off the pace a little'. When I see the 84 bus, I think that it's a solid split for the first half. I don't see food anymore, I see fuel. Tension building.. The idea of a beer or 5 afterwards is keeping me sane... Must run....

Dude you are wired! Light some candles and cook Mrs KC something good and I'm sure your mind will ease off for a while ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

When I see 6:15 on the clock, I think 'that's a little quick, must ease off the pace a little'.

classic. that made me :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Today: Total recovery day, spoiled only by a 7am start to the day (I wish I could sleep past 7am :mad:). Started with the foam roller, then the zum rub, then iced the achilles and tendons in my left foot, then out on the bike for an easy 22km @25km/hour, followed by an easy two mile recovery run @7:54/mile, then back onto the foam roller, back on with the zum muscle rub and a second icing.
    Have you tried hot water and epsom salts for the achilles? thats what im using these days. maybe give it a try

Dude you are wired! Light some candles and cook Mrs KC something good and I'm sure your mind will ease off for a while ;)
    Nah, at this stage I've come to terms with the fact that it's just normal for this stage in training. It's a good tension :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yesterday: A day of rest - it felt so alien.

Today: When I see 6:15 on the clock, I think 'that's a little quick, must ease off the pace a little'.

Never thought id see those words typed in this log. :)
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Have you tried hot water and epsom salts for the achilles? thats what im using these days. maybe give it a try

That sounds like a savage idea. Why did i not know of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Ok, question to distract ya, from ure taper madness, loved the 6:15 one ;)

Did you have a link before on mileage needed for different half marathon times, I remember seeing it somewhere here on boards, but can't remember who posted it, and would like to read through it again,

Thanks,
    tno

Was it possibly this one tisnotover?

The basis is actually the other way around: the mileage that runners have done and the result they achieved (rather than the mileage you need to do to achieve a specific time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Was it possibly this one tisnotover?

The basis is actually the other way around: the mileage that runners have done and the result they achieved (rather than the mileage you need to do to achieve a specific time).

Perfect, thats the one, thanks ! :)

Tonight: 7 recovery miles with 2 miles @PMP
    Unfortunately I forgot my heart rate monitor, which turned out to be a mixed blessing, as I would like to have seen how comfortable the PMP miles turned out to be, but when I got around to running them, I realized I probably didn't want to see the numbers. I have felt like this before, where the effort levels feel high, but the heart rate barely budges above 145, so hopefully it was just more of the same.

Another rest day tomorrow, with a bit of a calf massage (unfortunately not a proper sports massage - but any port in a storm), and a busy day in work ahead of me, and then a couple of days of holidays. Yippee! Looking forward to beer and Currywurst!

Summary: 7 Miles in 50 mins, @7:11/miile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Mr. Clown, All the very best for your Berlin Marathon.
    Another great few months training = another great time.
    Enjoy the weisbeirs and the pretzels!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Macanri wrote: »
    Enjoy the weisbeirs and the pretzels!
    Try and stay off the weissbeirs this time the day before the race! You are allowed a couple afterwards.

mithril wrote: »
    Try and stay off the weissbeirs this time the day before the race! You are allowed a couple afterwards.
    Sure I might just have the one on Saturday.. Just a bit of a relaxer! sure didn't the chairman of the Board declare that he liked to go out for 17* pints the night before a race?

*: It might have actually just been the one pint. A bit of poetic license!

Sure I might just have the one on Saturday.. Just a bit of a relaxer! sure didn't the chairman of the Board declare that he liked to go out for 17* pints the night before a race?

*: It might have actually just been the one pint. A bit of poetic license!

He also tried shaving his legs on the night before the 1976 Olympic Final to give himself that extra bit of speed. It was not a good idea.

Are you confident your training is enough or do you feel you need an extra "edge" ?

mithril wrote: »
    He also tried shaving his legs on the night before the 1976 Olympic Final to give himself that extra bit of speed. It was not a good idea.

Are you confident your training is enough or do you feel you need an extra "edge" ?
    *Gulp*. Should I ask what happened after he shaved his legs?!
    Must buy his autobiography from him at the marathon expo this year.

*Gulp*. Should I ask what happened after he shaved his legs?!
    Must buy his autobiography from him at the marathon expo this year.
    Cut himself all over, could not sleep, and too embarrassed to admit what he had done to the team doctor and ask for help. Only missed out on a medal by a whisker and that might have made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

He was enjoying the company with the Irish team and others and had a few bottles of Heineken. This was the night before his 1983 5k World Championship success.
    He got a many odd looks but we all know what he did the next day.

Settle your nerves but not to excess.
    Have you seen the no. 47 bus around yet? :p

Abhainn wrote: »
    Have you seen the no. 47 bus around yet? :p
    That's way too slow for a 10k split. :)

I've managed to stay off the beer for 4 + 2 weeks, I'm sure I can manage a couple more days (but maybe have a sneaky one on Saturday afternoon! It's almost tradition at this stage!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

just dont come on here early some morning " halfway between drunk and hungover" :pac:

• Advertisement

LOL. I got a 'sports massage' this morning. Alarmingly, the masseur commented that I had a muscle in the back of my legs that she had never seen before in anyone she had previously massaged. I don't know if I should be alarmed that I'm deformed, or be alarmed about her credentials for sports massage (but at €10 for 30 minutes, who's complaining?!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

LOL. I got a 'sports massage' this morning. Alarmingly, the masseur commented that I had a muscle in the back of my legs that she had never seen before in anyone she had previously massaged. I don't know if I should be alarmed that I'm deformed, or be alarmed about her credentials for sports massage (but at €10 for 30 minutes, who's complaining?!).

I'm calling for a full genetic test on krusty now, I think all pb's are now void as your not fully human.. ;) or have some cool mutation

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'm calling for a full genetic test on krusty now, I think all pb's are now void as your not fully human.. ;) or have some cool mutation
    I wish to change my username to centi-man. I have legs growing out if the back of my legs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I wish to change my username to centi-man. I have legs growing out if the back of my legs. :)

Could be just a mammary glands ;) In that case gender testing is on the cards, but not sure why it would grow there...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Sunday KC. You'll smash that PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck for Sunday. It's on tv here so I'll be watching with keen interest ....to see if any freakishly malformed legged runners appear:D. Have a good trip, crush the 2.48 and enjoy the beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck Krusty. Go get that pb*

*[size=-5]premium beer[/size]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck KC , nothin less than a pb will be accepted round these parts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Hopefully our paths will cross tomorrow at Expo Krusty.. If 4 some reason they dont best of luck Sunday.. Hope u achieve what all ur hard training and commitment deserves....

Advertisement