Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah, that can't be right, can it? It's not exactly difficult to run dressed as a tennis player. It's not like a Bear suit, or an Eiffel Tower costume...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

davedanon wrote: »
    Yeah, that can't be right, can it? It's not exactly difficult to run dressed as a tennis player. It's not like a Bear suit, or an Eiffel Tower costume...
    Take your pick of these numpties: link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Take your pick of these numpties: link

From that webpage;
    Fastest marathon dressed as a car (male)
    Nicolas Pogu
    "To be recognized along some great and astounding achievements by humans is something to be proud and honored about," said Nicolas.

Dear God!

Monday: 9 miles easy
    Taper brings mixed blessing, as while the body starts the recovery process, I'm not getting much by way of sleep, typically waking at 4am and ticking off the hours until it's bright enough to go for a run. Headed out to Bray on a beautiful morning where the incredibly beautiful views along the cliff path were offset by the all of the discarded chipper rubbish on the promenade, piss stains everywhere and the sad sight of the Gardai standing over a body at the end of the harbour.

In the afternoon, I visited the UCD Sports Institute for a body composition analysis (body-pod) , which is the first time I've done anything like this. It confirmed two things for me: The first is that my cheap-ass €20 weighing scales is actually pretty accurate(!), and the second is that the 153/154 pounds that I typically end up carrying into target races is about spot-on in terms of race weight, and realistically, I can't afford to lose too much more, without impacting health/performance. So sadly, further improvements are going to have to come from training, rather than weight loss. :)

Tuesday: 10 miles with 7 Miles @MP (1 min surge to LT every mile)
    Back to the treadmill again. Didn't really want to hit the treadmill again, but with Saturday's very tough 3x5 miles @MP still very much in the legs, I felt a forgiving surface was the right call. The gym was an uncomfortable 21-22'C, but it wasn't a long session, so was manageable enough.

Wednesday: 6 recovery + 6 easy + pilates

Thursday: 7.5 miles including 6 miles steady + 5 easy
    Last visit to the treadmill for 6 miles at steady pace. Magness plan called for '7/4 steady' and it's not clear whether you're supposed to do both runs at steady, or just the 4 miles, so I split the difference and ran 6 steady (6:15/mile), with some warm-up/cool-down and then 5 miles easy at lunch-time. There's a misconception that I run a lot on the treadmill and perhaps even have come to enjoy it, but the reality is quite different. I've been doing about 80-85 miles per week on the road, and 15-20 miles on the treadmill where a specific type of run was better suited to that environment. Every visit to the loathed contraption has been focused on the sole purpose of allowing me to do greater amounts of quality work with lower levels of impact. I can tolerate hard running (5 min mile - 6:20/mile), as the mind needs to be focused enough (with music/podcasts for distraction), but anything below that pace is a significant struggle. I've benefited significantly from Treadmill #1 over this marathon campaign, and I have a feeling I'll see it again soon, but for the time being, I'm glad to turn my back on it for a spell.

Friday: 8 miles easy
    An amazing morning as I took the hilly route to Puck's Castle and enjoyed amazing views across Dublin Bay, before the rain settled in for the afternoon. I'm adjusting well to the single run days, and getting my run done before work is beginning to feel a little like a rest day and the body seems to be reacting in kind.

Saturday: 11 miles with 6 miles @MP + home pilates
    Despite having done 3x5 miles @MP just a week ago and countless other marathon paced miles over the last 4 weeks, this run still gave me cause for worry. I didn't make it this far last year (and truth be told, wasn't entirely certain I would make it this far this time around), but remembered from two years ago that this one should feel comparatively easy. What if it doesn't? Well, it went just fine. First couple of miles were into a brisk wind, so was working a little harder than MP effort, and then topped it off with a hill climb, before turning away from the wind where the effort level dropped hugely, and I cruised back to the finishing spot, ending up a good chunk faster than MP because of over-extending myself into the wind over the first few miles. Last semi-tough session. Maintenance from here on in.

Sunday: 10 mile recovery run
    Just a handy paced run, enjoying a bit of company for a change. The road to the marathon is long and largely empty!

Monday: 9 miles hilly + 4 miles w/surges
    Another morning waiting for dawn's first light, a quick cup of coffee and out the door. I'm going to miss these early morning empty runs. I could lie to myself and say I'll keep them going, but I know when the beer kicks back in and the late nights resume, I'll be back to the old routines. But I'm enjoying these last few days, and I think that's important. It has been a long slog. Followed up with four miles in the afternoon with surges. I had to work hard to figure out a 4 mile loop. 4 Miles... Seems so... short...

Tuesday: 8 + 4 miles + home stretching/pilates
    Another sleepless night, another early run. Felt groggy over the first few miles but hitting the park on the way back the legs fell into a groove (the tailwind helped), and glanced at the watch to see an average pace of 6:15 or so. Figured that while I was steady and it was feeling good, I might as well tick off tomorrow's planned training, which just meant picking up the pace to MP for the last 5-10 minutes. Slightly hilly route but again the wind compensated and it just felt good to be running fast. Kept the pace very easy for the second (and perhaps final) double.

Wednesday: 8 miles easy + pilates
    Emer was headed out to Greystones for 8am, so jumped into the car with her and ran back, for a bit of a change of scenery.

So yeah.. Just four days left and like I said, really wasn't sure I'd make it this far. At some point this week, my focus changed from whether or not I'd make the start line, to what might actually happen during the race and as a result, a weight of stress and pressure has been lifted. What ever happens on race day, at least I'm getting the opportunity this time around. Committing 6-10 months of training for a single race and falling at the final hurdle has been a very tough pill to swallow. As I have to keep reminding myself, the goal was always just to put myself in a position where I could justify an attempt at my time goal and I feel like I've just about earned the right to give it a pop. I have the pace band that I picked up at the Berlin expo for inspiration, so just a few more days of waiting... Then beer... Glorious beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Lad looks like lad you've had a pretty much ideal prep and in ideal condition for Rotterdam. You seemed to have done everything right including achieving brilliant race PB's along the way.
    I know you don't like heat. I like to count on reputable forecasting and according to BBC they predict 10C at 11am with cloud and then rising to 13c by 1pm with sun. Humidity will be dropping from about 80% at the start to about 73%. It has been a lot worse in recent Rotterdam marathons
    Be truly confident on race day. I'm certain you'll be enjoying some nice beers come Sunday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wishing you the very best of luck G.

Your training & commitment is inspiring and here's hoping that everything goes right on the day and you get your well deserved PB and more importantly have a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Hey Krusty - first time contributing to your log to wish you the very best of luck in Rotterdam..!

From Strava FlyBy's, I realize we're pounding many of the same pavements and I think I have met you at some of the events in our local park. Your training and attitude are exemplary and I really hope you'll be enjoying several PB beers in my home country..!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of Luck on Sunday G, Hope it all goes your way, you deserve it after missing out on Berlin last year!

Abhainn wrote: »
    Lad looks like lad you've had a pretty much ideal prep and in ideal condition for Rotterdam. You seemed to have done everything right including achieving brilliant race PB's along the way.
    Cheers Joe. When's the inaugural Joe 2.0 trial run?

Yeah, this patch of training has definitely gone well. I was really worried about my back over the last 4-8 weeks, as it was getting tighter and tighter as the volume of quality went up, but the constant pilates/stretching did just enough to hold everything together and it's feeling a lot better now. Interestingly, my last day off was the 28th October and I haven't been near a physio or PT since September, so looks like the pilates is doing a good all round job of holding me together!

A couple of interesting sets of data:
    Strava has added Fitness and freshness tracking for runners and while I take it with a pinch of salt, it seems to map pretty closely to what you'd expect in terms of a marathon training phase with taper. It depends on good HR data (and mine is often wrong for the first 1-2 miles), but it maps pretty closely to my other marathon/race trends. It's still suggesting that there's some fatigue, but hopefully the drop in miles over the next two days will bring this down, while keeping the fitness pretty close to where it is now.
    413940.png

Garmin Vo2max - I don't put a huge amount of faith in the absolute values, but the comparative trends are interesting. Right now, it's suggesting that my Vo2max is marginally higher than it was last Aug/Sept (in the build-up to Berlin), but slightly lower than it was in 2015, when I ran my last marathon in Frankfurt. I'm not sure if Vo2max like HR, has a declining trend (which unlike HRMax can be offset by training), but I've run many PBs over the intervening period, so I won't read too much into it. Would like to get a lab-based assessment at some point (purely out of curiosity), but I understand that some of the labs won't let you run to your capability once you hit 45 years of age, which I'd imagine defeats the purpose of doing such a test. Food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Im pretty sure you'll smash it, but DON'T FCUK IT UP

• Advertisement

nop98 wrote: »
    Hey Krusty - first time contributing to your log to wish you the very best of luck in Rotterdam..!

From Strava FlyBy's, I realize we're pounding many of the same pavements and I think I have met you at some of the events in our local park. Your training and attitude are exemplary and I really hope you'll be enjoying several PB beers in my home country..!
    Many thanks. Can't put a face on ye right now (Dutch; runs in the park!), but come say hello the next time (if you know what I look like!).
    adrian522 wrote:
    Best of Luck on Sunday G, Hope it all goes your way, you deserve it after missing out on Berlin last year!
    Thanks! I wish 'deserve' came into it. But I do deserve a beer.. And that is one commitment that will be fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck at the weekend - looking forward to following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

All the best Gary, you have certainly put in the miles, and fully deserve the result.
    I think I can speak for the whole Athletics (and beer) community here on boards, and say that every body will have their fingers crossed for you on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ger664

Enjoy the beers on Sunday they will be well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

MisterDrak wrote: »
    All the best Gary, you have certainly put in the miles, and fully deserve the result.
    I think I can speak for the whole Athletics (and beer) community here on boards, and say that every body will have their fingers crossed for you on Sunday.

+1 - here's hoping your post-race refreshments on Sunday are particularly satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Best of luck KC.

What's your cheap ass weighing scales btw?

Djoucer wrote: »
    Best of luck KC.

What's your cheap ass weighing scales btw?
    It's a cheap-ass Salter jobby with body fat measurements, bought from Argos for €20. The BF measurements have long since given up the ghost (ERR flashes on screen), but the scales still seems to be doing the job. All scales are not made equally though. A buddy bought one in work and if you stood on it and then re-weighed yourself within 30 seconds, you could be up or down by a few pounds. A good test to check the reliability of the scales. Do this before you taker it out of the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck on Sunday and enjoy the post race beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

good luck kc. !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the best, hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good luck G. I'm still dubious about a lot of your training, as your route apparently goes past my house a lot, but I've only seen you pass my house once - and that was when you were on a family walk. I smell a rat (and there's a lot of them on that route!).

Peckham wrote: »
    Good luck G. I'm still dubious about a lot of your training, as your route apparently goes past my house a lot, but I've only seen you pass my house once - and that was when you were on a family walk. I smell a rat (and there's a lot of them on that route!).
    That's because you're permanently knee deep in nappies and far too busy to look out your window!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck Gary

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good luck Gary
    Thanks Kevin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looking forward to this. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow Krusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Krusty.

You are a inspiration to us auld lads.Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck today. ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

Nice coverage of Gary running with some of lead ladies on flo track live stream (membership)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Legend.

That is all I came here to say.

Advertisement