Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

Cheers Séan! I love beer.
    Well, now that there's no longer much similarity in our race times, I'm glad we still have something in common. I did decide to give up alcohol completely in preparation for one marathon, but after 3 or 4 weeks I gave up giving up as it was just too hard. All in moderation though, 1-2 beers or glasses of wine is my limit nowadays.
    Good to see you in fine racing form again by the way (though you shouldn't be letting the youngster off that light!).

Thanks, though fine might be stretching it a bit. I'm definitely in the best form of my life in terms of fitness and training but I've yet to translate that into a race day performance. I have managed a couple of PBs so far this year, as well as getting a few bob for being old, so long may it continue.

As for the youngster, despite my protestations that I took pity on him (after all, I'm well familiar with the feeling of always having someone older and faster ahead of me!) he has photographic evidence to the contrary - looks like I was trying even harder than it felt at the time. I'd still have got him though if I hadn't expended all my energy trying to catch his younger and dare I say much better-looking clubmate!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I see you made it back to Ardgillan yesterday. Well done on your first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

pistol_75 wrote: »

Just noticed that myself. Is that the full Dublin collection then? Are you going to start targeting the rural ones?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Thanks pistol_75. Certainly not my finest moment, running a 5k with a dirty hangover on 3 or 4 hours sleep! My pretty woeful time (18:07) is a reflection of the tough course, the heat, and being in pretty bad shape at the time! I have new-found respect for the 17:20 course record!
    yaboya1 wrote:
    Just noticed that myself. Is that the full Dublin collection then? Are you going to start targeting the rural ones??
    A long way off it. They're introducing new park runs quicker than I can run them! I will have to sneak into Tymon Park and take on the Tallagh-band of runners and Siblings Pearse for my next encounter. I see TRR has managed to hold onto the course record, despite a raiding party from Raheny and Rathfarnham. Will probably be a couple of months before my next opportunity to run one, so they can all rest easy for the time being. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I see TRR has managed to hold onto the course record, despite a raiding party from Raheny and Rathfarnham. Will probably be a couple of months before my next opportunity to run one, so they can all rest easy for the time being. :P

We'll be ready for you and in the coming weeks will make sure you have run much quicker than the current 16.34! It's been written into our club constitution that we must hold the course record for Tymon! ;) And failing that make sure we are are faster than the joggers/sisters/grass lovers but that's basically a foregone conclusion :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 8.3 easy recovery miles @7:38/mile
    Thursday: 7 miles + 5 miles easy @~7:15/mile
    Friday: 5.5 mile run-mute to work @7:33/mile
    Saturday: 8.7 miles including Ardgillan Parkrun

Long time since I was out for a few scoops (if you overlook the beer mile the previous week :rolleyes:), so took the opportunity of the 4th July US celebrations and the footie to head out for a few scoops on Friday with some buddies. Resultant sleep was pretty non-existent, and was wide awake, just before 5am. Despite the fuzzy tired head, I'd promised to take my daughter out to a Parkrun, so didn't want to set a bad example, so headed out to Ardgillan, where I'd tried to finish first before, but gotten lost over the last 1.5kms. This time the weather was a damn site hotter and I was not in quite as good shape. In fact an easy warm-up on part of the course left me sweating buckets and regretting my decision to come out. Still, we'd come out this far. I just settled in for the first down-hill mile and gradually the other lads just fell off the pace that they'd established, so after the first downhill mile, I was out on my own. Views over the bay were once again spectacular, so I endeavoured to enjoy them as much as possible. The second mile is pretty flat, with a small loop back so you re-merge with the other runners. Final mile is all uphill and there was nobody about, so I just plugged away back up the final climb, making sure I didn't get lost this time. Enjoyable run on a tough Park Run course (really well organized as always), despite my poor condition.

Sunday: 22 miles 'easy'
    Didn't really feel that Saturday's Parkrun had met my second session of the week criteria, but no matter as I was meeting theboyblunder for a long run, and he was talking about doing the Cruagh Hill climb as part of this run, so it'd be punishment enough for my beer indiscretions. Met up with him just after 9:45am, and we hit the Cruagh climb after a mile or two. A tough unrelenting 3.5 mile climb in the heat, was just about manageable, but a fantastic leisurely 4 mile descent in the cool oxygen-rich leafy tunnels, made up for the climb, chatting away, ignoring pace, distance and time. A few easy miles and we headed up for a second loop of Cruagh, this time at a slightly more sedate pace. Tough going, particularly at the top, as my lack of long runs over the last 4-5 months showed, but we made it to the ice-cream van eventually. Neither of us had any change, so despondently, we headed back towards earth, where rain and streams had replaced the sunshine. I was flagging a little over the final miles, but TBB was good enough not to speed off into the distance, clearly in very solid marathon shape. Glad I won't be racing him on October 27th, as in the shape he's in at the moment, I'd be quirking in my boots. ;)

Summary: 22 miles in 2:37, @7:08mile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great running - I think we on boards take so much for granted when we read this log - but it still astounds me.

Is the Dublin Park Run clean sweep is still a couple of races runs away (Tymon / Waterstown) ?? Any time frame to capture them all?

Edit: doh - should've read the above posts

Great running - I think we on boards take so much for granted when we read this log - but it still astounds me.

Is the Dublin Park Run clean sweep is still a couple of races runs away (Tymon / Waterstown) ?? Any time frame to capture them all?

Edit: doh - should've read the above posts
    Yeah, it takes a particular talent to figure out when all of the top runners won't be around and to swoop in and snipe a first finish! You'd want to be running sub 15:15 to be sure of a first finish in Malahide these days. So I'm fortunate to have collected that Blue Peter badge before the pace picked up!

Monday: 7 miles + 10 miles easy at ~7:16/mile
    Tuesday: 5.5 + 5.5 + 5.5 miles at ~7:15/mile

Wednesday: Graded Meet: 400m Grade C + 800m Grade D + 10 miles warm-down
    Ok... Running 100+ miles in the previous 8 days of training is not a good build-up to a 400m race. I knew this beforehand, and was pretty sure that my performance would suffer as a consequence. Despite this, part of me still wanted to do the race. I've never run more than one 400m in a season (in a year), and just didn't want to quit after the last one, so figured I'd give this one a go, without compromising on my marathon training. That still meant running 16+ miles the day before, but I split them into three runs, with a couple of commutes sandwiched around a lunch run. Got the Dart out to Irishtown and ran the 1 mile to the track as part of my warm-up. Chatted briefly to Chivito, who as running in the grade B race. I got Lane 4, which I reckon is the first time I've been given a decent lane draw.

400m Grade C: Gun went, and I forgot to keep my head down, standing up almost immediately. Legs felt immediately heavy but I think I got out pretty ok. After the bend, I think I was in around third place and losing ground. I knew that I wasn't running fast enough, but with the legs in their current shape, I didn't want to lock-up in the final 100m, so took it a little conservatively. Got a shout out from Chivito on the bend which helped, as the wind made it a bit of a struggle. Coming off the bend, I wnated to slow down, but the knowledge that I'd been just 19/100ths of a second off my target the last day helped with the motivation and I held on. Still with just 20m to go, I really struggled and felt I was slowing badly. Managed to remember to perform some form of dip (more akin to sticking my belly out) before almost collapsing over the line in around 4th/5th place. Most of the race was a bit of a blur, but I just got a sense that I didn't run very fast, but ran pretty consistently, and thankfully didn't lock-up, as I've done in my previous races. I knew I hadn't broken 60, but secretly held a little hope, that I might have magically cracked it through consistent pacing, however, these hopes were dashed when Chivito confirmed that I'd run 61.xx. No great surprise.

800m - Grade D: It took me around 20 minutes of sitting around, before I started to feel a little recovered, as my HR had been elevated for quite a stretch, with a feeling of lactic build-up. I was in two minds about doing the 800m, but I've only ever done one before, so the experience would serve me well, even if, like the 400m, I wasn't in a position to run to my potential. Lined-up in what I hoped was the right starting spot (again in lane 4) and waited for the off. After the gun, I went out a little conservatively. After the bend, two runners had opened a decent gap, and if I'd been in better shape, the right thing to do would have been to chase them down. Instead, I settled down with the second pack that had formed, noticing out of the corner of my eye, that the runner in the outside lane had stayed in lane and was running on his own as we rounded the bend. Settled into the pack on the home straight, and we hit the bell in around 1:05. This is where things went pretty wrong, I was completely boxed in, and the pace of the other two lads was slowing. The runner in 6th (Naas singlet) likely noticed the pace dropping, and pushed from behind to pass all three of us. Thankfully, one of the runners was suffering badly and fell off the pace which created a little more room. I saw a gap and managed to pass the other runner on the inside, and went chasing after the Naas runner. I closed the gap and settled in behind him, feeling like I still had plenty in me. I felt it was too late to resurrect a good time (my entire race strategy had been wrong for chasing a good time), so finishing in third was the next best thing. As we rounded the bend, I pushed past the Naas runner and worked as hard as I could to the line (finishing I reckon a lot faster than I did in my 400m race!). I felt fine, soon after the race, confirming that I really should have worked harder. I reckon those 800m reps during the 5k training align a lot closer with the 800m distance than the 400m distance. I'll have to wait another day for my final time, but don't think it will be anything too impressive. Certainly 2:1x, but nothing that will set the world alight.

Best thing about the two races? I enjoyed them. I enjoyed the entire race experience, even if I have little achievement to show for it. Still not sure if I'll crack the 60 seconds this year, but I may give it another shot, if I'm around for the next graded meet.

10 mile run home: This actually went a lot better than I would have imagined. I was anticipating a pain-fest, but managed to run on the grass most of the way home from Irishtown stadium to Shankill. Backpack was a little heavy, but with the great weather and cracking views, I soon forgot about it.
    Summary: 10 miles in 72 mins, @7:14/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Fair play G, I wouldn't be able to walk after running a 400m, never mind contemplate running an 800m race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pconn062 wrote: »
    Fair play G, I wouldn't be able to walk after running a 400m, never mind contemplate running an 800m race!

and then running 10 miles home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

pconn062 wrote: »

that's because you are a track wuss :)

Well done KC, impressive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

TRR wrote: »
    that's because you are a track wuss :)

Well done KC, impressive stuff

At least you dropped the non-PC f-word!

You hobby jogger! :)

Thursday: 4 miles recovery + 10 miles easy
    Friday: 6.5 miles with core + 5.5 mile run-mute
    Saturday: Jogged Tymon Parkrun + Kilmore Quay 5k

Headed off to Tymon Parkrun in the morning, as had offered to pace my youngest, to see how she handled various paces. Well, the strategy was very wrong, as I killed her over the first mile, and then listened to an unending stream of complaints for the next two miles. She wanted to slow down and eventually stop.. That is of course until somebody tried to pass her over the last 400m, at which point she streaked off at a pace I would find very hard to cover. Women.... Who can figure them out? Any way, back to the drawing board. I think the answer may lie in having a tub of ice cream slowly melting at the finish line. Nice to see the Boards-collective running and volunteering at various points around the course. It definitely a fast one (maybe not St Anne's fast, but certainly seemed easier than Marlay) so will have to come back and give it a whirl. Summary: 5k in 25 minutes and change. :)

Kilmore Quay 5k: One of the club legends had recommended this race, and it sounded like a cracker, so I figured it might be nice to get away with Mrs Clown for a night and get a session out of it. The race is run in parallel with the Kilmore Quay Seafood festival, so the plan was just to head down, get the race over with and tuck into some seafood and pints. The race is a real novel one, taking place on a 1km loop of the fishing village, which you repeat 5 times. It contains two sharp'ish climbs, that unfortunately on this occasion were into a headwind, followed by a downhill and a flat stretch along the sea-front. This race seems to draw a small but competitive field, with a large posse arriving out from Sliabh Buidhe and various other Wexford, Wicklow and Dublin clubs. The women's race took place first (separate races for males and females just added to the novelty this year) and it was great to be able to watch the action unfold with each lap and watch out for Emer, on every loop. Soon enough it was the males turn and we lined up along the sea-front. I wasn't planning on killing myself for this one, as it was a tough 100 mile week, so just wanted to get a solid session and enjoy the experience. I lined up behind the wall of blue singlets, and within moments were were off and heading up on the first hill climb.

In the early part of the race I was in around 15th spot, but as we hit the top of the climb and started the descent, I overtook a couple of runners, so was probably down to 10th place. TMcW (the wily old fox!) pushed past me on the flat, so I was chasing in his wake as we turned left again and hit the hill and head-wind for a second time. A strange thing happened though - as we ran around the bend, he ran pretty wide, so I was obliged to take the inside line, running the shortest possible course. No sooner than I had though, he dropped in behind me, and let me do the work up the hill into the wind. Downhill, back on the flat, he pushed on by a metre or two, but as we hit the hill again, the same thing happened! I jigged left and right, but still he followed my every step. We made up a couple of spots, but with every lap, the same thing happened. As soon as we hit the hill, he would wait for me, and tuck in behind. On the 4th lap, I'd had enough. and turned around and asked him to share the workload. When he didn't oblige, I'd had enough, so put some extra effort into the climb and tried to open a gap on him. Eventually it came and by the top of the climb I could no longer hear his footfalls chasing my every stride. Instead I was catching another blue singlet. I recognized him as a pretty strong runner, so instead of pushing past him, I figured If I was going to get the scalp I'd have to bide my time and try and do it with a decent kick over the last 200-300m. I stayed with him on the flat stretch and tried to pull level as we neared the bend, but he dug deep and upped the pace correspondingly and showed no sign of weakness on the uphill climb. The two of us worked hard on the final climb to the finish, but I was always a metre behind, and finished 1 second down. The time was an uninspiring but respectable 16:35 for 7th place. A couple of warm-down miles afterwards, included a chat with the wily fox. I was the 4th M40, which gives you an idea of the tough old buzzards who turn up for this race.

Sunday: 20 mile easy run
    I was thankful that it was a pretty quiet night down in Kilmore, as I headed off for a 20 mile run with a club-mate after the drive back from Wexford. He was just running 16 miles, but I added a couple of miles before and after into Bray. A nice lumpy loop around Enniskerry, Powerscourt and Kilmacanogue wrapped up a 103 mile week. Legs felt surprisingly good despite the beating, so much so, that I was being scolded for entertaining the thoughts of heading out for another 5-6 miles. A few pints and the footie soon put paid to any such ideas though.
    Summary: 20 miles in 2:19, @6:59/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Hope you enjoyed the session with Mrs clown, sorry couldn't resist :-P

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed the session with Mrs clown, sorry couldn't resist :-P
    There were 59 men and 76 women, so it was indeed an enjoyable session (yeah, I know where you were going with that!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice win today.

Monday: 7.3 + 6.2 miles with core
    Really slow recovery run in Marlay Park after a heavy weekend of running. Large parts of Marlay were fenced off for various concerts, so I headed out to St Enda's park (which I'd seen from the outside and always been curious about) and found it to be a top-notch little spot for running - kind of like a mini-Marlay. Followed up with a rather tired and stiff 10k with core stuff thrown in. Probably averaged around 8:05/mile for the 13.5 miles.

Tuesday: JDA : 2 x 12 mins @Threshold + 1 hour easy
    Warm and humid with a bit of a southerly breeze, but not enough to make the threshold sections any more difficult. They weren't easy, they weren't too hard - just the right level of hurting. The real pain came on the 1 hour easy immediately afterwards. The threshold work is just enough to ensure that you are tired and somewhat dehydrated (the 250ml bottle of water I'd brought with me didn't quite fill the gap), so by the time I was half way through the easy miles, I was pretty dead on my feet. Getting closer to work though, I found my feet again, and motored for the last 1.5 miles.
    Threshold 1: 3,600m in 12:22, @5:32/mile
    Threshold 2: 3,600m in 12:23, @5:32/mile
    1 hour easy (57 mins): 7.41 miles @7:44/mile
    Summary: ~15.35 miles in 1:48, @~7:03/mile

Wednesday: 11 miles easy/steady + 5 miles recovery
    This run surprised me, as I thought my legs would be in ribbons from the previous day's exertions. First couple of miles were true to form, but as I hit Kilternan Village, everything was right with the world. I looped around past Dun L. Golf Course and headed up the persistent climb, that is Ballyman Lane. Looking at the shadow I cast behind me, I could see that I was being chased by around 200 flies (good country-side running!) so had to pick up the pace up the hill, to stay clear of them (which notched up a couple of Strava records) before hitting the trails in Barnaslingan and taking the same route back to work, with some solid fast miles. Lunch time runs don't have to be dull. Followed up with an easy 5 miles out to Bray, before some rock climbing.
    Summary: 11 miles + 5 miles recovery

Thursday: 5 miles including club 5k time-trial
    Winding down the miles a little, in preparation for a race on Saturday, I knew I shouldn't be racing the club's 5k time trial, so I offered to pace it instead. There'e a couple of runners in the 18:30-19:00 range, so I was assigned the task of running around 19 minutes. A strange change to the weather, it was at one moment hot and humid, and the next moment, there was a fine mist coming in from the sea. The pace (6:10/mile) was handy enough, but running around the paths of Shanganagh was a little like playing Paperboy, with dogs, skateboards, bikes, pedestrians and men in hard hats riding Kango hammers (well, ok the last bit isn't true). Crossed the finish line in 19:06 (ok, so not the most perfect pacing ever!), and for a couple of hours afterwards, the legs felt absolutely brilliant. Must remember to do this in future, a day or two before a race.

Friday: 5.5 miles easy
    Easy lunch run, to pick up the falafel roll from the farmer's market at the race-course. Legs just a little bit stiff, but nothing to worry about.

I'd heard about this race some months back and as Moate Park (where much of the race would be run) is my training ground of choice when staying with the in-laws, I relished the thought of running another race here. Two things made me nervous about the race though: the club is fairly new and to the best of my knowledge, it would be their first time hosting a race, and secondly, I have this constant fear of getting lost in Roscommon races. This is completely unjustified, as it's just one race that went awry and has left a bitter taste in my mouth, but still, I find it hard to shake the unease. My qualms were completely unfounded however, as from start to finish, this was, without a doubt, the best organized race I have ever participated in. Far from the feelings of an inaugural race experience, everything was so polished, that it felt like the organizers had taken the best bits from every other race and put them together to create something really top notch.

The goal: My last 10 mile race was Ballycotton, some 15 months ago, where I'd finished in 57:20, on a perfect day. Today I hoped to run low 56:xx, and I'd be a little disingenuous if I didn't say that I was hoping for a spot on the podium. It wasn't the best advertised race (they'd did a great job of the build-up on Facebook, even posting a recorded video of the route), but that was only relevant if you knew that the race existed in the first place. They hoped to get 100 participants and on the day managed a little over that number. Just as I suspected, there would be some raiding parties from nearby counties, hoping to notch up a victory and get some pocket money for their troubles (and my own motivations weren't entirely different), but it meant there were a number of protagonists on the day. 5 fit looking lads from Sligo AC toed the line and looked ready to take on anyone. Local man Adrian was lined up behind the Sligo lads. I hadn't met him, but had heard much about his running over the last 12 months. A really solid runner, he just needed to get his pacing right and he'd be a match for anyone. He certainly had home court advantage, and a huge wave of support around the course. A couple of other club-singleted runners from Longford, Athlone and various other spots made up the rest of the front wave of runners. Not knowing the form of the other runners, I figured I'd set off and see how the race developed, with the primary goal of hitting my time. Despite some light rain before the start, it was bloody warm and humid. Perfect weather for a 5k, but uncomfortable for anything longer than 5 miles.

The race: the gun went off bang on time, and we set off on the initial 3 mile loop, before taking on the larger 7 mile loop. Immediately local man Adrian and one of the Sligo AC lads made a significant break, with the Longford runner chasing just behind. I hadn't anticipated this kind of pace, and after half a mile, a quick glance at the watch told me that I was running close to 10k pace, with the lads stretching out a lead ahead of me. I kind of had an idea that the local man was a decent sub 60 guy (I guessed maybe 57-58), but didn't know what kind of time the Sligo lad could run. I knew that starting out at 53/54 minute 10 mile pace on a hot day would just end in disaster for me, so with some regret, I settled into fourth place and eased back to something more achievable. I focussed on staying comfortable, and the miles felt relatively easy (5:35, 5:47, 5:42). Delighted to see that every turn was not only really well signposted, but also had a generous selection of cheering marshalls, some of whom knew me and gave me a shout of encouragement, but most of the cheering was for the local man up ahead, who was now out on his own and looking really strong.

4th to 3rd: I grabbed a water bottle at the 3 mile mark, and as the rain had cleared and the temperatures were rising, poured most of it down my neck to keep the body cool. Towards the end of the third mile, I had started to close the distance on the Longford runner and as we turned right up the long drag I decided to make the patented 'smooth and strong overtake manoeuvre', while wearing my 'I jog at this pace while walking the dog face'. The hill seemed to be enough to separate us anyway, and all of my faux nonchalance was likely unnecessary. I was a little happier now, as I'd moved into a podium spot, but with 4 miles down, there was still a lot of running left to do. Sligo runner was around 100m ahead, with Roscommon runner another 150m ahead of him.

3rd to 2nd: I noticed that the distance between us was no longer widening - in fact, we all seemed to be running at around the same pace. The difference was that the two runners ahead had gone out hard (in racing mode). The runner in front was probably trying his damnest to widen the gap on second place, while second place was likely trying to narrow the gap on first, so they were both likely running to their immediate potential. It was unlikely that they would be in a position to increase their pace over the second half of the race - in fact, they were more likely to slow down. At this stage, I realised that I had a very realistic shot of winning, if I could just keep my composure. After 5:44 and 5:36 miles, I hit the half way mark in 28:24.

Over the next mile, the distance to second place narrowed. The temptation was to close the distance as quickly as possible, but I figured that a much better outcome would just be to hold my current pace, and let the Sligo AC runner come back to me. We took a right turn, leaving the Bothrin for a more major road, and the Sligo man was just 20m ahead. I got a shout from my brother in law who was marshalling that turn, and that was enough impetus to move past the Sligo man into second place. Four miles to go, the local man was 200m ahead, but I noticed he was glancing back occasionally. Again, the temptation to accelerate and close the distance, but I kept the pace constant and focussed on running the racing lane at every opportunity. The Roscommon man was hugging the ditch, so was losing a second here and there. Miles 6/7: 5:49 / 5:38.

2nd to 1st: We turned right, into Moate Park, and this was very familiar territory, as I've ran here many times before and love running this stretch of road. I knew that the forest tree cover would mean that we'd get some relief from the rising temperatures and the cool fresh oxygen was ample reward for the hard work so far. The familiar territory signalled that the end of the race was approaching and the pace picked up a little accordingly. Running along the damp forest road was tough though, as the surface was slippy underfoot and meant extra effort for the leg turnover. Saucony Kinvaras really don't have good grips in damp conditions, but I've yet to find a decent light/cushioned alternative.

Now there was only 100m between us and I could hear the raucous encouragement the local man was getting. I was still getting cheered on, just not quite as loud. :) Miles 7/8: 5:38/5:40. Over the course of a few uphill drags, I closed the distance between us and drew level at around the 8 mile mark. I said a few words and offered him some water (not sure what to do in circumstances like this) and gradually pulled away from him. It dawned on me that I had just moved into first place, from the 4th spot I was resigned to finish in, in the first half of the race. The temptation was to hammer it, but I kept my composure and focussed on staying relaxed. For the first time in the race, I was now chasing the motorcycle marshall, and it helped to maintain the focus. Mile 9 was up a drag and it helped to widen the gap between myself and the Roscommon man. I hit the top of the hill, which also marked the end of the 9th mile (5:40), and risked a glance backwards and I was now a good chunk ahead. I knew the final mile had a slight downhill, so used the opportunity to solidify my lead. Lots of shouts of encouragement along the final stretch, as I crossed the line in 56:48.

The result: The time wasn't great. I'd certainly have been hoping for more before the start of the race, but it was great to run a good race and get the unexpected win (and a 30 second PB is still a PB). I'd love to say that I left nothing behind, but that wouldn't be true. I've definitely noticed a more conservative approach to racing over longer distances, and while it means that I'm rarely upset with the outcome, it also means that I never really run to my potential (except maybe in the marathon). Nonetheless, a fantastic race that I'd recommend everyone to run. Talking to the other runners afterwards, we all agreed that if the Roscommon Harriers can maintain this standard for future years (while increasing the numbers), they'll be among the very finest of races in the country.
    Summary: 10 miles in 56:48, @5:40/mile.

Sunday: 20 mile easy run
    Enjoyed a few celebratory pints the evening after the race and didn't quite rehydrate properly, before setting off on my run. It was ok though, I'd agreed to meet Emer in Moate Park, and ad stashed a bottle in the car for collection after 6-7 miles. I didn't take into account that my subconscious would take me in a completely different direction, visiting some of Roscommon's smallest towns (including Tom Cruises' ancestral home of Kilteevan), before arriving at the appointed meeting spot, some 17 dehydrated miles later. Still, a damn enjoyable run and the legs were in much better shape than I deserved.
    Summary: 20 miles in 2:23, @7:09/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Another superb report of another great success, amazing progress on here KC, thoroughly well deserved with all your hard work, I know some of us tend to over use the word inspirational when referring to racing but it is a word that definitely applies to you:)

I'm sure the locals really hate you now;) First you steal their women (well, 1 woman) then you win their races:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Marthastew wrote: »
    Another superb report of another great success, amazing progress on here KC, thoroughly well deserved with all your hard work, I know some of us tend to over use the word inspirational when referring to racing but it is a word that definitely applies to you:)

I'm sure the locals really hate you now;) First you steal their women (well, 1 woman) then you win their races:D

Stole just the one but broke so many, many hearts in the process :D

Great racing Gary. Way to put it up to those bloody culchies!

Marthastew wrote: »
    Yeah, there was definitely a momentary pang of regret as I passed the local lad. But before long, he'll be running much faster times than me, and when he gets his pacing right, nobody will be able to touch him, so I'm glad I managed a sneaky win, while I still can!
    Great racing Gary. Way to put it up to those bloody culchies!
    KielyUnusual is online now Report Post
    Jaysus, are you trying to get me 'kilt? Let's not forget, I run under the Wicklow banner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Nice racing, well done on putting them Sligo lads in their place.
    They are all part of my Saturday morning training group.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice racing, well done on putting them Sligo lads in their place.
    They are all part of my Saturday morning training group.
    A very nice bunch of lads. Had the post-race lunch with them afterwards, which would you believe consisted of:
    Some kind of delicious pork stroganoff with rice
    Fresh chiabatta sandwiches with thickly sliced meats
    Various hors-d'oeuvres, including black pudding with apple compote, smoked salmon with pickled cucumber and horseradish cream, etc.
    Fruit tartlets with assorted summer fruits and cream
    Freshly brewed coffee.
    Certainly the best post-race meal I've ever enjoyed!

Actually, I was chatting to Seamus after the race, and he mentioned to me that he didn't know where the hell I'd come from as I went flying past. I joked that I'd only started at the 5 mile mark, and that's why I was so fresh. For a few moments, I think he took me quite seriously, and didn't look very happy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Had the post-race lunch with them afterwards, which would you believe consisted of:
    Various hors-d'oeuvres, including black pudding with apple compote, smoked salmon with pickled cucumber and horseradish cream, etc.
    Freshly brewed coffee.

So a very well organised race and a five course meal to follow?
    How much is the entry fee? Where do I sign up for next year?? :pac:

EDIT: Oh, and well done on the race and the win. Great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Great win and great report as always KC, sensible tactics prevailed in humid conditions. Sometimes its good to worry less about the time and just race, like our forefathers used to, I think. Fair play getting a nippy 20miler in the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Outstanding race on a hot day and super report KC. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'd say the locals loved a runner-in beating one of their own. They'd have the torches and pitchforks out except there's be no chance of them catching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

A very nice bunch of lads. Had the post-race lunch with them afterwards, which would you believe consisted of:
    Freshly brewed coffee.
    Certainly the best post-race meal I've ever enjoyed!

Actually, I was chatting to Seamus after the race, and he mentioned to me that he didn't know where the hell I'd come from as I went flying past. I joked that I'd only started at the 5 mile mark, and that's why I was so fresh. For a few moments, I think he took me quite seriously, and didn't look very happy. :D

That's some serious gourmet sh1t! (Might have to sign up for this next year)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Great run, great report. I wish you raced every week I look forward to reading your reports....

Advertisement