Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're rate of improvement on the 5k program has been phenomenal. You should step down to mile now rather than moving back up. That's where all the cool kids are ;)
    The mile is sooooooooooo last week. Last Thursday to be more specific. I thought all the cool kids were doing the 400m? I just can't keep up with the cool kids any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I just can't keep up with the cool kids any more.

I'm the coolest mother****er around these parts and you've kicked my ass in every race I've ever run against you ;)

Well done on the run- nobody deserves those kind of times more than you KC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Another fantastic performance and great report. A couple of q's if you don't mind :)

* Where do you think this ranks in the KC list of race performances?
    * Why do you think that you run better when the body is under stress as opposed to being somewhat rested?
    * Before marathon training kicks in, have you have plans to utilise these benefits to murder your 10k PB?

How do you push yourself so hard in training and then still manage to find that extra little bit in races with no rest or proper recovery?
    Thanks! Really depends on your definition of proper recovery. My recovery from the race started around 20 minutes after the race ended with a cool-down run, from the finish line back to the start of the race and back again (~2.5 miles). Yesterday, I headed off for 5 miles at 8 minute/mile (bearing in mind my race pace is close to 5 minute/mile), but ended up staying out to do 7 miles as the legs felt fine and I wanted to do some core stuff (30 chin-ups). Later did an hour of rock climbing and 30 push-ups. Every muscle got stretched (not strained), and pulled gently. I considered going out for a second recovery run after the rock climbing, but changed my mind and wrote the race report instead. That's where the 'rest' comes in. The alternative would have been to do nothing - sit on the sofa for the evening, in front of the television, while my muscles gradually tightened and seized up. Instead, I hope to be in shape this afternoon/evening for another 5k session.

You have to put this into the perspective that I'm on year 6/7 of consistent year-round training. I've been running 7 days a week for around 2.5 years (averaging 65+ mpw all year round). I haven't taken any prolonged breaks. The body has grown used to the wear and tear, and in some ways, expects the regular training stimulus. It's not something that's ultimately sustainable, as year on year the training load increases, so at some point in the future, I'll have to consider working backwards and gradually decreasing the training loads to compensate for age and wear and tear.
    cianc wrote:
    AND doesn't get injured. It's pretty clear some kind of Mephistophelean deal has been done. What did you promise him KC? WHAT DID YOU PROMISE!?!
    I gave him all of my sleep. :(

drquirky wrote: »
    I'm the coolest mother****er around these parts and you've kicked my ass in every race I've ever run against you ;)

Well done on the run- nobody deserves those kind of times more than you KC
    I'd swap it all, just for 10% of your coolness. ;)
    * Where do you think this ranks in the KC list of race performances?
    Definitely rates as my best performance, though the actual performance is in making it through the training, rather than the race itself. Unlike the marathon, you just rock up to the start of a 5k race, and hold on as best you can for 16 minutes. The marathon (as you know) takes all that committed training, and then a huge amount of committed performance on the day, so the 5k race just doesn't have that same sense of achievement. In two weeks time, I could run another 5k, and be within a few seconds of this race. Two weeks later, the same thing. So the actual achievement is getting to this level, rather than the race.

The IAAF doesn't agree, by the way, and still ranks my 2:38 marathon (708 points) a good chunk better than my recent 5k (661 points). But then the IAAF scoring tables don't care about things like age, running history, or real life. It is based on statistical analysis of athletic results. For a 22 year old male runner, a 15:52 is far more achievable than a 2:38 marathon (it wouldn't be anything particularly special). For a 42 year old male without a history of running (or any significant level of sporting commitment), the required level of adaptation for a sub 16 5k is far greater than that required to hit a 2:38 marathon. We don't talk about adaptation too much on these forums, but your starting point will often determine just how much time and effort you need to commit to achieve a particular goal. I'd hazard a guess that most people who follow the training program I'm following, would be aiming for significantly faster times, but then they've probably also been running since their earlier years, so they are tweaking, rather than making more drastic changes.
    Why do you think that you run better when the body is under stress as opposed to being somewhat rested?
    I don't necessarily believe that at all. I'm just greedy and into instant gratification, so feel the need to do unnecessary races when I should be sticking to my training. Next race is Saturday. :eek:
    Before marathon training kicks in, have you have plans to utilise these benefits to murder your 10k PB?
    Hopefully. 10k is where it all started. Really like the distance. Would like to run Dunshaughlin and Blessington Lakes 10k, as I've been running them most years, so it's good to have a reference point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

My recovery from the race started around 20 minutes after the race ended with a cool-down run, from the finish line back to the start of the race and back again (~2.5 miles). Yesterday, I headed off for 5 miles at 8 minute/mile (bearing in mind my race pace is close to 5 minute/mile), but ended up staying out to do 7 miles as the legs felt fine and I wanted to do some core stuff (30 chin-ups). Later did an hour of rock climbing and 30 push-ups. Every muscle got stretched (not strained), and pulled gently. I considered going out for a second recovery run after the rock climbing, but changed my mind and wrote the race report instead. That's where the 'rest' comes in. The alternative would have been to do nothing - sit on the sofa for the evening, in front of the television, while my muscles gradually tightened and seized up. Instead, I hope to be in shape this afternoon/evening for another 5k session.

You really are crayzeeee! You did all that after smashing a 5k PB?
    Maybe it's time to start thinking about increasing the size of our family.

... and this too!!!! You really are Superman! :D:D:D

wrstan wrote: »
    You really are crayzeeee! You did all that after smashing a 5k PB?
    The day after. The reason I posted it was because it wasn't 'all that'. It's using muscles groups that aren't used during a 5k race. Also, let's be honest, 8 seconds is hardly smashing a PB. It's more of a nip and tuck!

As for the other thing, best to just sweep that joke/comment under the carpet, or I'll be in trouble. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

you just rock up to the start of a 5k race, and hold on as best you can for 16 minutes.

Simples! ;)

(I'm gonna deploy that tactic in my next 4.4k race :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Definitely rates as my best performance, though the actual performance is in making it through the training, rather than the race itself. Unlike the marathon, you just rock up to the start of a 5k race, and hold on as best you can for 16 minutes. The marathon (as you know) takes all that committed training, and then a huge amount of committed performance on the day, so the 5k race just doesn't have that same sense of achievement. In two weeks time, I could run another 5k, and be within a few seconds of this race. Two weeks later, the same thing. So the actual achievement is getting to this level, rather than the race.

For a 22 year old male runner, a 15:52 is far more achievable than a 2:38 marathon (it wouldn't be anything particularly special). For a 42 year old male without a history of running (or any significant level of sporting commitment), the required level of adaptation for a sub 16 5k is far greater than that required to hit a 2:38 marathon. .

Impressive time and great points made above. I'm sure some people will not appreciate the achievement and the effort required to get from 16:30 ish to sub 16 in a short space of time.

If you were to go around another cycle of 5K improvement, do you have an idea where it could bring you? Obviously there are diminishing returns with any repeated training cycle but I suspect because much of it was new to you, that you will get another big return the next time.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Impressive time and great points made above. I'm sure some people will not appreciate the achievement and the effort required to get from 16:30 ish to sub 16 in a short space of time.

If you were to go around another cycle of 5K improvement, do you have an idea where it could bring you? Obviously there are diminishing returns with any repeated training cycle but I suspect because much of it was new to you, that you will get another big return the next time.
    It doesn't feel like a short space of time! 5 months and 1,500 miles later, that 30 seconds feels pretty diminutive! I take it you don't mean another 5km cycle immediately, but rather further down the road? Yeah, the plan definitely suited me very well (I'm not finished yet!) and I wouldn't mind taking another pop at some stage, but not this year. Obviously, at 21 weeks (including base-building) it takes a significant level of commitment. I won't hazard a guess at the kind of improvement I could expect, but reckon that I wouldn't be looking at the same kind of gains I made this time around (16:23 -> 15:52).

I'm hoping that the greatest benefit will come when I hit that first Jack Daniels marathon session. A couple of months ago, I would have considered it with serious trepidation, but now I welcome the prospect. Threshold pace just isn't as daunting any more. Here's that first JD session: Week 1, act 1:
    5 miles Easy + 6 miles Marathon pace + 1 mile Threshold + 5 miles Marathon pace + 1 mile Threshold + 1 mile marathon pace + 1 mile easy = 20 miles. Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Savage run well done! Just goes to what you can achieve through hard work and commitment. Hopefully I'll be soon to follow with a sub 16 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There’s where I stopped for a pee. There’s the no windmill sign. There’s the angry dog.

Digger must have missed the no windmill sign :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I was WAY off regarding the new road making the course slower, fantastic racing & time KC.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

menoscemo wrote: »
    Digger must have missed the no windmill sign :pac:

To defend Digger - the sign KC seen was part of a local campaign in opposition to High Voltage Lines and their Pylons

So Digger was exercising his right to execute the Windmill ;-) Yes to Windmills :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Just checking in on your log now. Congrats on the recent 5k, very impressive time. You're walking/running proof that hard work and commitment reap rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Krusty, you've probably been asked (and have answered) this many times but I'm not great on the Advanced search option..... If, I say, IF a body was going to do a JD plan, say the 56 to 70 2 Q sessions a week plan......... is it more or less up to the runner to decide how to make up the rest of the miles?

I haven't read all the book yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    Krusty, you've probably been asked (and have answered) this many times but I'm not great on the Advanced search option..... If, I say, IF a body was going to do a JD plan, say the 56 to 70 2 Q sessions a week plan......... is it more or less up to the runner to decide how to make up the rest of the miles?

I haven't read all the book yet.

2nd edition anyway works off YOU deciding what your peak mileage will be, then each week gives you what percentage of that week mileage you should do and usually gives 2 limits to the LSR; % of weekly mileage or 2hrs (whichever is least).
    How you make up that mileage outside of the 2-3 quality sessions is up to the individual.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    2nd edition anyway works off YOU deciding what your peak mileage will be, then each week gives you what percentage of that week mileage you should do and usually gives 2 limits to the LSR; % of weekly mileage or 2hrs (whichever is least).
    How you make up that mileage outside of the 2-3 quality sessions is up to the individual.
    ^ What Dom said. He does state elsewhere in the book, that in terms of convenience, the shortest period of time you should run for is an hour, but that's just to be efficient in terms of warm-ups/downs, showering, blah, blah, blah, rather than any physiological reason. I think he also mentioned that once you go over 55mpw, you should consider introducing doubles (but don't hold me to that figure (or that quote!)). I found that in terms of having running fit in with work/family life, some weeks triples were just a handy way of ticking off the mileage. e.g. run to work (5.5 miles), run at lunch time (6 miles) and run home (5.5 miles). A handy way to tick off 17 miles without impacting family life too greatly. Also for these runs, I'd mostly be in a relatively fasted state (pre breakfast, pre-lunch, pre-dinner). If you don't have a regular 9-5 job, then I reckon you get the miles in any way you can. Towards the end of the plan, when the mileage starts to reduce, I'd favour singles (8-10 miles) daily, and found that the pace would just naturally pick-up, when not doing the extremely high mileage and tough sessions.

Wednesday: 7 Mile recovery run with core
    Headed out for 5 recovery miles, but legs felt ok, and wanted to get some core stuff done, so stayed out for 7 slow miles. It's always like an unexpected treat when your legs feel ok the day after a race. Headed for an hour of rock-climbing afterwards and toyed with the idea of doing another 4-5 miles recovery afterwards, but came to the conclusion that I was just being silly.

Thursday: Session: 2 x (800, 1k, 400 @5K w/1:20 recovery) 4 mins b/w sets
    Still a little tired from the race, so ideally I'd have pushed this to Saturday, but when you get a shot at running in the greatest race on earth, you gotta take it. Choice was to do the session on tired legs, or not do it at all. So down to the cinder I headed.

Interval distance: 800 / 1k / 400m
    Planned pace: 2:31 / 3:09 / 1:15
    Actual pace (set 1): 2:32 / 3:10 / 1:16
    Actual pace (set 2): 2:31 / 3:10 / 1:15

Wasn't too concerned with hitting the numbers, given the race on Tuesday, so was more focused on 5k effort. Thankfully, I wasn't too far off the mark. A bit unusual running these reps at a pace that you've already run for 5k, but there's no point in trying to adjust to a more aggressive target with two weeks left in the plan. The first set was a little stiff, but the legs had loosened out for the second set and they were easier and closer to plan. I'm getting good at suffering.
    Summary: ~9.39 miles in 74 mins

Friday: 6 mile recovery run

Saturday: Wicklow Way Relay - Leg 1 - Kilmashogue to Curtlestown
    4th year running this race and I frickin' love it. There's nothing quite like it to get the most out of a runner, when you've a group of team-mates strung out over a 135km stretch of trails, mountains, road and fields depending on you. I'd run leg 1 for the winning boards team in 2010, finishing in 8th spot in 63 minutes. I hoped to take a few minutes off that time and move up a few places (came 4th in Leg 7 last year), but wasn't sure how my 5k training would translate to the hills and trails. Suffering is suffering in any language, but climbing and descending are pretty unique vocations that improve with practice.

A 7am start meant getting up at 5am, for a couple of Weetabix, a slice of bread and two rousing cups of coffee. Emer sacrificed her Saturday morning to drop me up to the start and we were out the front door at 6:15am and up at the start of the race at 6:30am. A pretty large group had already assembled by the time we were there, but I didn't recognize too many faces, so set off up the trail for a warm-up, turning back after around a mile of climbing. We were in the middle of low-lying cloud, so you couldn't really see much further than 20m ahead of you. Navigating was going to prove difficult, as any landmarks just off the trail disappeared in a haze. I jogged back down to the start and met up with a few familiar faces and some of the Boards folks so chatted until we were called to the start.

Initial climb: I'd done a bit of a snoop through the teams lists and reckoned I was probably good for a top 6-7 spot based on previous performances, so when the race started, I slotted into a healthy second place, just behind a tall Sportsworld runner. The weather probably didn't help, but the initial pace was very conservative and it was clear there wouldn't be any records broken today on the initial leg. Sportsworld (SW) still led slightly as a group of 4/5 runners gradually split from the rest of the pack. By virtue of positioning myself on the inside lane on the fire-trail, I took the lead on one of the bends, and stayed at the front for the next stretch. It was a long climb, so I wasn't pushing the pace, just working my way up the fire-trail. As we neared the turn-off onto the rocky-sandy path, another runner (TT Racers) took the lead and started to open a small gap. Hitting the sandy trail, he pushed on and the next three runners (including me) didn't have the capacity to close him down as he accelerated away. SW had moved into second place and I was trailing slightly in third. Myself and SW were fairly evenly matched, running shoulder to shoulder up the final stretches of the climb. I had to keep my eyes peeled to the trail ahead, for rocks and small ravines so couldn't look behind, but 4th place seemed to have fallen off the pace. At some point over the next stretch I took a small lead back into second place as we turned away from Three Rock, donw the technical trail.

Technical descent: On a good day, this is a tricky descent, but after a night of heavy rainfall it became extremely challenging, as it was impossible to guess what lay beneath those murky pools of water. Throw in some heavy cloud that blurred the vision, and you had to really concentrate to find the right location to plant your feet with every step. I had opted for a pair of running shoes (Saucony Kinvaras), as I reckoned the weight would reduce the risk of tripping on high lying rock, but the cost came in grip, as I had to try to plant my feet on sand or in pools, instead of the slippy rocks. I sensed that SW was a little more tentative on the dodgy descent and gradually widened the gap on him. Eventually I passed the turn off for Tibradden (and guiltily hoped the race leader might have momentarily taken the wrong path (bad clown!). In any case, he wasn't to be seen, having opened a considerable gap. I lost a good bit of time running down the sandy banks as the shoes had no grip whatsoever on this terrain, and I had to break rather than accelerate down the trail. I knew the road was coming though, and that's where the shoes and 5k training would come into their own.

Eventually, I dropped down onto the cozy familiarity of the tarmac on a deserted road. 200m up the road, the #1 Crusaders support (certainly one of the most formidable club supporters in the county!) gave me a friendly shout of encouragement, and let me know that the leader wasn't too far ahead. It was pretty surreal running on a largely deserted road as newly formed waterfalls cascaded from the hills on the left down to the valley on the right. At times I was running through an inch or two of water and I could see the bulging river below. I got a big cheer from some supporters at a nearby parking spot, and subconsciously the tempo picked up. Out of earshot, I forced myself to slow down as I knew the next climb was coming, and I had to conserve energy or I'd risk blowing up completely. Down into the valley I dropped and soon was back on the trail.

Climb to prince William's seat: Last time I raced this leg I'd had to take a brief sneaky little walk, when TRR had pushed on to catch another runner. This time, I made myself slow down a little, so I could run evenly to the top. There were two turns that I had to be absolutely sure I didn't miss, but I'd memorized them from last week's recce. Something was wrong though. Up ahead there was the remains of some tree felling, with massive logs stacked on either side, and the result of a lot of wood debris strewn across the path. I didn't recognize this from last week and suddenly some doubt crept in. I reached a junction and between the logs and the cloud, I started second guessing myself. I had to pass to the left of the barrier, but I was pretty sure that last week, we'd passed to the right of the barrier. I stopped and went back, looking for the waymarker and it seemed to be pointing up the way I was headed, so I pushed on. It was another mile before I reached any familiar landmarks and re-assured myself that I was still on course. Occasionally I'd glance back into the cloud and the mist, but visibility was poor, so I couldn't be certain that there wasn't anyone in hot pursuit. I was beginning to come around to the idea that I might possibly finish in 2nd place, and that spurred me onwards. I knew there were a couple of false summits, so was mentally prepared for the additional climbs.

Final descent: I finally hit the top and the pace picked up on the flat sandy surface, until I hit the turn-off for Raven's Rock. I was running at around 6 minute mile, when I placed my foot into a pool of water which turned out to be a lot deeper than all of the other pools of water. After nearly doing the splits (I can't do the splits) I recovered and made my way across the wet slippy slabs of rock, before nearly sliding my way off a 20 foot bank down to the baby fir trees below. I decided it might be best to easy off the pace a little, as arriving at the finish in 2nd place 10 seconds late, is better than not arriving at the finish. On an ordinary day, I'd really enjoy jumping from rock to rock on the descent from Prince Arthur's seat, but on race mode, all I wanted to do was get over the obstacles as quickly and cleanly as possibly. Finally I cleared the rocks and picked up the pace on the sandy banks. Still lots of corners, rocks and ravines to deal with, but at least I was running fast. I emerged once more on the fire-road, and again, because the cloud had distorted the surroundings, I had to pause while figuring out which route to take. The heavy rain was washing away the sandy path that merged with mine, but I spotted the waymark and hit the fireroad towards the finish.

The 5k training really helped here, as I stretched out the legs and hit the fire-road as hard as I could. Checked the watch and there was just under a kilometer left, so I started winding up the pace, giving it everything I had. I knew second place was in the bag, but every second counts. I hit the barrier and tagged Damien and he headed off like a greyhound from the traps. I was 77 seconds down on first place and two minutes ahead of third, finishing in 59:25. Well chuffed with how the run went, even if the time isn't the greatest. As I write this I'm hitting F5, looking for the latest team updates. Looks like Rathfarnham or TT racers have it sewn up, but you can be sure everyone on the Sli Cualann team gave it everything they had.
    Summary: 8.57 miles in 59:25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You really are flying at the moment. Well done indeed. That time is mighty. To break the hour is impressive in any year. In today's conditions all the moreso. Well done to your team who were impressive throughout. And you did it without trail shoes, which is veering towards mad ;) And in recent years didn't you do a road 10k in trail shoes :P In retrospect lack of grip must have cost you valuable time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Well done, I'm actually jealous now that I wasn't running, next year I have to get back to my rightful home up the hills and do the WWR again! I have a lovely granite WWR 3rd place plaque for ya also!

In retrospect lack of grip must have cost you valuable time.
    Cheers Mick. Was comparing my times to Des Kennedy's run from last year (Strava segments) and you can see the real difference where someone has both road speed and hill running fitness. Not sure that road shoes were the wrong choice actually. There's only two sections where I reckon trail shoes would have made a difference: the sandy descent down to Ballybrack Road and the section from the shoulder of Prince William's seat, so I reckon the most you'd lose is 20-30 seconds, and you'd get most of that back on the 1.5 miles on the road. Other legs (like leg 2) the trail shoes would be an absolute necessity. Quads are in shreds today. Will be a very slow trot around the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭PaulieC

p72190932-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

That's a pic to hang on a wall, eh.

PaulieC wrote: »
    p72190932-4.jpg
    Cheers PaulieC. Cracking photo. A couple of things spring to mind though:
    1) F**king ridiculous haircut
    2) I need a singlet that fits me
    3) Getting my ears taped would probably shave three seconds off my 5k time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Have a couple more, will share them when not on a touch device, including an all action two feet off the ground shot. Super run yesterday, I'd say the hanging around after it took the shine off it a bit though ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    Have a couple more, will share them when not on a touch device, including an all action two feet off the ground shot. Super run yesterday, I'd say the hanging around after it took the shine off it a bit though ?
    Nah, not in the least. The hanging around is the best part, and following the race progress as far as Shillelagh is one of the big draws of the race. Admittedly, hanging around in a soaking wet singlet on a cold morning was less than ideal, but that was just a logistics error!

Saturday evening: 3 mile recovery run with core stuff
    Sunday: 4 mile recovery run + couple of hours for rock climbing

Today: Session: Alternation 4 x (800/400 @5k/steady)
    Crazy heavy rainfall meant that the cinder track would be flooded, but with a US holiday I had an opportunity to do this session that I might not get for the rest of the week. The quads loosened up on the jog down to the track and as predicted there were several pools, up to 5/6 inches deep. Still pretty tired from the early long hard race on Saturday and the rapid fire pints that evening probably didn't help the recovery too greatly (but they were tasty!). The plan had called for a 3k-5k race last Saturday, which would have been more sensible, but the WW relay is just a race you can't turn down. Anyway, between the tiredness and the water on the track, again I wasn't too pushed about hitting the splits, but I was close enough to satisfy my training obsessiveness.

A tough session, with no recovery (you go straight from the 800s @5k pace to 400 steady), but I seem to recover pretty quickly, so by the end of the steady lap (~6:05 min/mile), I was mostly ready to go for the next lap.

Planned 800m times: 2:32
    Actual 800m times: 2:32 / 2:34 / 2:36 / 2:34
    Steady laps: ~6:06/mile

I had to work pretty hard for the 3rd and 4th 800m segments, but wading through 2-3m long pools of water at just over 5 min/mile isn't very efficient, so I'll take those lost seconds on the chin. Took me a long time to wash all of the grit off and had to power-hose the shower afterwards. Man, I wish there was a tartan track within running distance of work. :(
    Summary: ~9.25 miles in ~61 mins, @~6:40/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

60.18. That's worth a sub 60 as everyone's times seem to be way down. Next time.

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 6.5 + 5.5 miles easy

Today: Dublin Graded meets - 400m Grade C
    A bit of a lull in the 5k schedule, so I figured I'd use the opportunity to slot in my 'now' annual attempt at the 400m. While I haven't been doing any specific training, my 5k program had included some hill sprints, uphill strength endurance, and some faster than normal short reps (200, 300), but nothing that approached sub-60 400m pace. A poor night's sleep due to having to pick up eldest child from public transport at 1am, and didn't get to sleep for an hour afterwards, and that was almost enough to kill off my enthusiasm to head to Irishtown, but in the end I threw caution to the wind and hopped in the car. Best thing about the 400m? Even if you run really badly, it's all over in just over 60 seconds. Managed a two mile warm-up and some strides, which was great, as the other two attempts I just didn't warm-up enough and the legs were in a strop afterwards. Didn't get called for the first two races, which meant a nervous wait until the 3rd race, where I was assigned to lane 7. Unfortunately the lane 8 runner didn't turn up, which meant I was out on my own, but I took some comfort in the fact that I was out of view from the main stadium, for my third attempt at the blocks. I checked out this site 30 minutes before the race, and picked up just enough reminders on how to set them up. I actually felt a little more comfortable in the blocks this time out, and practiced a few starts.

The race: Hadn't given too much thought to strategy, but I remembered some of the basics from my experience last year. Specifically: run like fook, cruise on the back straight, re-commit on the next bend, and pump the arms like a bastid down the home stretch. Chivito who was also in this race and had drawn an inside lane, added 'run to the finish line' to the list of tips, so I added that to the mental database. My start felt fast enough and I thought I got out of the blocks pretty well (in relative terms (relative to being a crap 400m runner!)), but I was soon caught on the back of the first bend by the runner in lane 6. This actually worked out pretty well for me, as on the straight, I had someone to chase. I mentally eased back a little so I wouldn't tie-up completely towards the end of the race, and felt pretty good at this point. I could sense the runners in the other lanes drawing parralel, but still felt I was still in the race, rather than being left behind (as per my last 400m race). Hitting the second bend, the plan was to re-engage, but that went completely out the window as the body flooded with 'go slow juice' and I suddenly felt the urge to slow down. I battled the urge to slow down as much as I could, but I was gradually losing the battle. I pumped the arms as much as I could, but felt like I was making a bee-line to a standstill. I held on enough to cross the finish line, forgetting about the mere basics like dipping. Chivito seemed to have finished first in 57:xx, but had no idea how I'd run, other than I knew I was a few seconds down, and I'd slowed over the last 100m. Menoscemo, who was watching from the sidelines had hand-timed me to 59.89 or something similar, but wasn't optimistic that his reactions were quite as accurate as the digital timing system, so things didn't look good.

I headed off for a nice 6 mile cool-down with Meno around the nature reserve, and by the time we'd arrived back (I did an extra couple of miles), the times were being posted, and the result was that I was just .19 of a second outside my target, finishing in 60:18. Only a fleeting momentary disappointment, as I really hadn't done anything to warrant breaking 60 seconds, and some comfort in the fact that I got so close. I felt that I had run better than my two previous outings, except for the final 80-90m, where I reckon I lost out on my goal, as the pace dropped to just outside of target.

Definitely some positives to take out of the experience, such as being a hair's breath away from my target, the fact that I'm less intimidated by the race/stadium environment, and the fact that at least I got the 400m done earlier in the Graded meets season, so I may have other opportunities to try again.

Summary: 2 miles + 400m + 6 miles

Advertisement