Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Being a bit hard on yourself. In Chapter 20 of Edition 2 Daniels clarifies that Elite means 5min/ml marathon pace and that when he prescribes 5M he means 5 elite miles or 5x5min at marathon pace - you were not expected to do 14 miles at marathon pace, rather 70min which is 12 miles at your current VDOT. Likewise T pace is 4.5 to 5min so again not actually a mile at your current VDOT. Worth saying does this interpretation mean the elite plan is still harder than what you did on Plan A and if so I would persist with Elite plan.
    Cheers Gringo. But just to clarify, it's not the elite plan that I tried on for size. It's one of the plans in the third edition of the book, which doesn't sound like it's specifically aimed at elite runners, as there are various plans targeted at various distances (right down to sub-40 miles per week). So I think that when he refers to 14 miles, he means 14 miles! PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a preview of the plan. While I haven't 100% committed to an alternative plan, I'm pretty certain that I won't be continuing with the existing plan. I took one look at the second session in week 1 and based on a run I did yesterday, have come to terms with the face that it's just not for me. The session in question is:
    Q2 = 8 miles easy + 4 miles @T + 4 mins rest + 4 miles @T + 2 easy = 18 miles

Yesterday, I ran 3 E + 20 mins @T (3.6 miles @ 5:34/mile) + 3 E = 10 miles
    and it was bloody tough! There's a massive disconnect between those two sessions. The only way I could accomplish the above session,would be to drop the threshold pace right back to something like 5:50 - 6 minute miles, at which point it's planned marathon pace and not threshold pace, defeating the purpose of the session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Cheers Gringo. But just to clarify, it's not the elite plan that I tried on for size. It's one of the plans in the third edition of the book, which doesn't sound like it's specifically aimed at elite runners, as there are various plans targeted at various distances (right down to sub-40 miles per week). So I think that when he refers to 14 miles, he means 14 miles!

I'm still stuck in the past with Edition 2. It's clear in edition 2 that a mile is 5min only applies to the elite plan, all other plans a mile is a mile so maybe indeed those plans are not for you (very limited target audience really!)

I'm searching for a plan for Dublin right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Cheers Gringo. But just to clarify, it's not the elite plan that I tried on for size. It's one of the plans in the third edition of the book, which doesn't sound like it's specifically aimed at elite runners, as there are various plans targeted at various distances (right down to sub-40 miles per week). So I think that when he refers to 14 miles, he means 14 miles! PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a preview of the plan. While I haven't 100% committed to an alternative plan, I'm pretty certain that I won't be continuing with the existing plan. I took one look at the second session in week 1 and based on a run I did yesterday, have come to terms with the face that it's just not for me. The session in question is:
    Q2 = 8 miles easy + 4 miles @T + 4 mins rest + 4 miles @T + 2 easy = 18 miles

Yesterday, I ran 3 E + 20 mins @T (3.6 miles @ 5:34/mile) + 3 E = 10 miles
    and it was bloody tough! There's a massive disconnect between those two sessions. The only way I could accomplish the above session,would be to drop the threshold pace right back to something like 5:50 - 6 minute miles, at which point it's planned marathon pace and not threshold pace, defeating the purpose of the session.

I have never read the earlier editions, my question is, is there an 'A' plan in this 3rd version?

Itziger wrote: »
    I have never read the earlier editions, my question is, is there an 'A' plan in this 3rd version?
    Nope, no equivalent of the Plan A. Pm me your e-mail address if you'd like a peek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

I was going to try Daniels' 12-week plan for Frankfurt but now I'm wondering if that would be suicidal going by your earlier post :confused: Prior to this I've used P&D along with one run of the FIRST plan.

Think I'll just give it a lash as regardless it will be a change which will keep things interesting :)

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    I was going to try Daniels' 12-week plan for Frankfurt but now I'm wondering if that would be suicidal going by your earlier post :confused: Prior to this I've used P&D along with one run of the FIRST plan.

Think I'll just give it a lash as regardless it will be a change which will keep things interesting :)
    Please don't use my own experiences (limitations!) as a barometer for your own, as our experiences and outcomes are likely to be extremely different! Had an interesting sideline chat with Gringo, who for example (hope you don't mind me sharing Gringo) currently has a vdot of 54, based on building a solid aerobic base for the last 5 months. So his current vdot likely represents his current level of fitness (based on his progress with respect to recovery from injury) and is nowhere near reflecting his potential. My own vdot on the other hand, more accurately represents somewhere close to my maximum potential, as it was based on running what may turn out to be 'the perfect race', on 'the perfect day', while I was in my best ever shape, towards the end of a 21 week distance-specific training period. That could, for example, represent my highest ever vdot and may not be something that is achievable from a marathon perspective. Only time will tell. Given that you are on the back of the comrades marathon, all of the endurance-focussed running is likely to have impacted your current vdot, which in turn, might make the plans more achievable.

I think that if I wanted to follow one of those Q2 plans, I'd have to drop my vdot back to around 61/62, at which point, I'd be targeting a marathon time not dissimilar to my last two marathons (2:38:50 and 2:38:31). So I think the best way forward for me, is to drop down to a less strenuous plan (Plan A), maintain the mileage that I'm used to (up to 100mpw), and keep the same vdot, so the emphasis is on improving and enhancing my comfort levels at threshold and marathon pace. The last 21 weeks has been about improving my overall speed, and based on recent results, there is no doubt that I've seen improvements in that area. The next 18 weeks is about leveraging that speed and building the endurance to make 5:50/mile feel like a comfortable marathon pace. Or at least that's the dream anyway! I'm happy with my decision and optimistic about the next 17 weeks.

It's one of those races that I really want to run well in every year. The course never changes (give or take a couple of metres!) and the standard is really top notch, so it's a great barometer for how much progress you've made in the last year. The only real variables are 'you' and the weather. Last year I'd been a little disappointed to run just a 3 or 4 second PB, finishing in a lacklustre 34:48. This year I was most certainly faster (having run 34:11 at the end of a 100 mile week in February in Enniscorthy), so some form of PB should be on the cards. In other words, the 'me' part was sorted. The weather wasn't really playing ball though, and the car reported temperatures of 22'C on the drive to Dunshaughlin. I love running in the sunshine and take every opportunity to do it whenever I can - I'm just not very good at it. The recent poor result in the Bohermeen 5k is a example where I just crumple when racing when the temperatures run close to 20'C. I don't sweat profusely during a race, but by the time the race is done, I'll have lost pounds and pounds and pounds, and can be very dehydrated. So in order to avoid a repeat performance of the death march in Bohermeen, I made some mental adjustments to my race strategy and decided to run within myself for the early miles and gradually increase the effort later in the race. Specifically, try and stay below my anaerobic levels, and try and run a negative split. I'd have been happy with any time that started with 33:xx, but with the heat, I worried that I might not even be in a position to challenge my PB.

Lots of club mates and Boards mates about, so lots of chatting before the race, before I headed off for an easy three mile warm-up. I arrived back at the car and threw on my singlet and racing flats (type A5s). I'd never worn them for a race of this distance, so they were another cause for concern.

Race Start: A bit of messing about saw a late start, but I was happy enough when the gun went, to find myself behind around 100 runners as we headed for the first corner. A glance at the watch showed an average pace of 5:14/mile, so I determined to gradually ease back. I started my favoured hobby of jumping from group to group, taking a moment to relax, before easing forward to the next target. Lots of familiar faces, including club-mate Mick Byrne, who I caught after the first mile (5:21), just after we went through the village of Dunshaughlin. I gave him a quick holler, and then pushed on a little to catch another group. I continued the group hopping, until the efforts levels rose to a point where I felt I needed to back off, in order to sustain the pace (Mile 2: 5:24).

Race middle: I was hanging onto the back of a group of runners, just focussing on staying as comfortable as possible when a runner drew alongside me and greeted me. It was none other than Ronnie085. I’d been surprised not to see him before the race started as I had an inkling he’d be along as I reckon he too understands the value of this race. It was great to have him draw level, and as soon as he did, we both moved to the front of the group and gradually opened a gap on the rest of the runners. I tried to suggest to him that we should work together, but not sure if he got what I was trying to say, in my breathless whispers, but he moved ahead by around a metre and I jumped in behind him. Not too many runners ahead of us, but there was a Sportsworld singlet 50m ahead, and we were gradually clawing back the distance between us (Mile 3: 5:29). I didn’t quite catch the time called out as we hit the half-way mark, but I reckon it was around 16:50. I drew level with Ronnie and we were running side by side, but he didn’t seem to be running the racing line, so I overbearingly tried to steer him in the right direction (sorry C!). Mile 4: 5:23. We caught the Sportsworld runner just as we hit the right turn, that marked the first of a few short climbs. Ronnie pushed on a little, with myself and Sportsworld a couple of metres behind. He was working hard on those short climbs, and I wanted to tell him to ease back, but he was hell-bent on making progress.

Race end: As the road levelled out, I drew level with Ronnie and Sporstworld gradually fell off the pace. In the shade of a leafy tunnel, and with a slight downhill I was feeling relatively ok, and the pace picked up a little. I had somehow managed to convince myself that the final mile was downhill, so was prepared to put in a little more effort at this stage, on the basis that I’d recover on the final mile. The footfalls grew slightly quieter behind me, as I kept to the side of the road, making the most of the shade. There was another runner ahead and I wasn’t sure if I would close the gap. I stumbled rather than ran up the hill at the 5 mile mark (Mile 5: 5:32), before hitting the downhill, and started closing on the runner ahead. I closed the distance and was just behind him with a kilometer to go. I was still convinced that the rest of the route was downhill, so pushed on ahead, hoping to make the most of my remaining energy, with just 800m to go.

As soon as I hit the bottom of the hill and the road started climbing, I was fooked. I couldn’t slow down, as I knew I’d be caught, so desperately tried to just hang on. Then I saw it up ahead.. My salvation. The left turn that marked the final 200m of the course. I breathed a sigh of relief and started winding up the pace. But wait… The runners in the distance weren’t turning left? Feck. Not there yet. I was dying on my feet and imagined I could hear the footfalls as 10 runners passed me by in the final push to the finish line (as had happened two years previous). I survived the longest 800m of my life though, and eventually hit the corner. 200m to go. I knew Emer and mini-Emer were out there somewhere but I was totally fixated on the clock over the gantry line, trying to make out the time. 33:20….33:21…. Whoop! Overjoyed, I picked up the pace for the final sprint to try and pick up every second, and crossed the finish line in 33:36.

Absolutely fricking delighted with that time. Before the race, I wondered if I could beat my 34:11 from earlier in the year, so to take a good chunk off my PB meant so much. Vindication for all that hard work for the first 6 months of the year. Over a minute faster than the same race last year, in much hotter conditions. Absolutely delighted. Ronnie finished a few seconds behind me on this occasion, but I’m sure I’ll be a good chunk behind him the next time we meet. He really pulled me along for those middle miles and helped keep the focus, while staying relatively relaxed. Rob Cross was te first M40 over the line, but was good enough to take 6th place on the day, so I was handed the M40 1st place. Never thought I’d be good enough to win a prize in Dunshaughlin, so an added cause for celebration. All of the good runners must be home training for the beer mile. :)

Summary: 10k in 33:36 for 22nd place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

You couldn't just leave me with on PB quicker this year :D

Savage run man fair play and congrats on the prize well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB, very impressive running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Made myself a cup of tea to read that one, congrats on a great result

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

That is a great run Krusty. I'm glad I got a few photos of you now considering it was a PB run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

:eek: Fantastic result. Congrats!

Wow, 33.xx AT YOUR AGE!!!

At any bleeding age. The fellow who'll tell you his achievements aren't inspiring (intimidating).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Savage going KC,

Year after year and cycle after cycle you're getting better and faster.

I reckon you're like some of those East Africans that don't really know what age there actually are :)

We'll done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's a mighty performance, and delighted that your delighted!
    Hard work paying off some very impressive dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great stuff. Congrats. Not one bit surprising though.

But can you back it up at the beer mile? That is the 64 Trillion dollar question.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Well done kc. Serious stuff! The type of race performance we all aspire to. A great fill up for you at the start of your marathon cycle. All those doubts from earlier re your first q session well and truly put to bed. I think you have made the right decision! Savage stuff.

Sunday: 15 miles easy
    Wanted to keep the pace handy after the previous day's race, so planned to hit the Bray-Greystones cliff walk, which is slow going at the best of times. Bumped into boswollox, and ran a few miles with him, before heading for the cliffs. Glorious sunshine meant loads of slow walkers blocking the paths, but I wasn't in any rush. Legs felt better than I deserved (probably down to the heel raises I tucked into the shoes), so was surprised to see 7:28/mile for the 15 miles.
    Summary: 15 miles in 1:52

Monday: 9 miles + 6 miles easy

Tuesday: Session: 3E + 20 min @ Tempo + 3E
    Legs still a little tired from the weekend's efforts, but time to settle down and get into the swing of the marathon plan. Very hot down at the cinder, so was willing to let the threshold pace slide a little, and focus on pace. After the first few laps, I was dropping a couple of seconds as the legs struggled to maintain the target pace, so I did the right thing and just stopped looking at the splits. Some temporary dwellers have moved in beside the track in tents and caravans, and they looked on in amusement, as I sweated my way through 14.5 laps around the track. It was hard work at 20'C, but managed it ok, wrapping up the 20 minutes @5:34/mile.
    Summary: ~10 miles in ~69 miles

Tuesday evening: Slow 5 mile recovery run with core stuff
    Wednesday: 9 miles easy + 4 miles recovery
    Thursday: 3 miles recovery + 5 miles with strides

Friday: St. Cocas AC 5k
    I really need to take a break from racing, so I don't have to write so many damn race reports, but the marathon schedule called for repeats of 4 minutes 'hard' with recovery, which all sounds a little vague to me, so I figured I'd just sign up for St Cocas 5k, and treat it as an experiment. I'd read lots of recommendations about losing the watch for a 5k race, and it had certainly helped in the second half of Dunshaughlin, so I was interested to see how it would go for an entire 5k race. I did keep the watch on (and recording), but resolved not to look at it for the race. 3 mile warm-up, largely on the St Cocas rather cushty cinder track, which reminded me of home (though without the hills and gravel!). I could feel a growing stitch during the warm-up, which raised alarm bells, but thankfully it didn't raise its head at all during the race.

Race: Pressed [Start] on the watch, and the next time I interacted with it, was to press [Stop] as I crossed the finish line. It did beep to tick the miles off, but I wasn't tempted to take a sneaky peek. I started around 40 runners back, with the same broad plan to run 'within myself' for as long as possible. Passed around 15-20 runners in the early stages of the race and couldn't believe the wall of Donore Runners that were grouped ahead of me. Clearly they were targeting a team title, or using the race as a team decider for some other event. Unusual to see such a large grouping of singlets from one club towards the pointy end of a 5k race. It meant however that there was a large pack of runners to chase.

I found my breathing pretty restricted over the first mile, and it certainly affected my performance early in the race. I've been an asthmatic since I was three, a condition made far worse by years of smoking throughout my teenage and adult years. For the last six months I've been weaning myself off my asthma medication, to a point where I now don't use them at all and haven't renewed my prescriptions this year. However, on this occasion, possibly triggered by hay fever, it certainly made the early part of the race a bit of a struggle. Eventually I stopped thinking about it (probably as the effort levels rose and focused more on the sharper pain of the race.

I made a few more spots as we headed down the leafy, cool, oxygen-rich road that runs parallel to the M4 (mile 1: 5:08). The packs stretched out a little over the next section, though, like me, most runners vied for a bit of shelter in the swirling gusts of wind. I was running behind a runner in a black singlet, and I don;t think he appreciated the loud clumping noise of my footfalls (need to get a new pair of racing flats), as there was an inordinate amount of spit and snot flying over his shoulder in my general direction. I had little choice in the matter though, as I wasn't going to drop off the pace and didn't have the legs to push on. I wasn't looking forward to the climb over the M4, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered from the same race a few years ago. As we headed towards the end of the second mile, black singlet drifted backwards and I passed him and a few other runners. (Mile 2: 5:13).

Still there was a sea of Donore vests ahead. I made a few more places and was relieved to see the 2km to go sign. I caught a small group and recognized one of the Naas runners I've bumped into and run with a few times around these country races. I stuck with them until the 800m to go sign, and then pushed on, feeling I still had a little more in the legs. I gave Naas a shout, hoping he'd come with me, and we could battle together to the finish line, but after an initial surge, I didn't hear any pursuing footsteps. 400m to go I was hurting bad, but the simple mental arithmetic (just 2 mins of pain to go... 1 minute of pain to go...) helped. I sensed more than hear the group I'd passed at the 800m mark closing on me, and that spurred me onwards to pick up the pace.

Best thing about this race is that you can see the finish line from around 600m out, which helps to squeeze every last drop from your performance. I was tempted to take a sneaky peek a the watch, but I resisted temptation and just focused on closing in on the finish line. Mixed emotions when I ran under the gantry in 16:06. I'd secretly have loved to have broken 16 one more time, but I was happy enough to get close enough, particularly given the no-watch experiment and early breathing issues.

There's certainly an argument that racing too often is as bad as not racing enough, in term of losing sharpness, but I felt it was a worthwhile experiment and was a suitable replacement for my scheduled session. The M40 reward payed for the petrol and I got to watch some of the LeCheile opening ceremony, so no regrets. A quick check suggests that I've done 20 races so far this year, so once again, it's time to knuckle down and just get wrapped up in marathon training. I still hope to run a few more 5ks over the marathon training period, but I need to get a little more selective in my racing (once I get through the beer mile this evening!).
    Summary: 5k in 16:06, for 14th place

Saturday afternoon: 4.5 miles recovery + beer mile
    Woke up with a sore heel and couldn't figure out why, until I remembered that early in the race I'd felt a dull stabbing in my heel. Sure enough, I took a look at my shoe and there was a hole running from the sole, right through the insole and apparently, through my sock and into my foot. Not sure what it was, but I probably should have stopped instead of racing on, so instead there was a tender discoloured area and most of my heel was a large raised blister. I had an old pair of silicone heel raises and they seemed to do the job, so after dropping youngest to the gym, I went for an easy recovery run, taking in the beer stadium to make sure that preparations were suitably underway for the big event. The caterers had been and gone, the flood-lighting systems had been erected (thankfully we didn't need them in the end), and the media control centres had been established and hooked up. After and easy 4.5 miles, I headed back to the car, comfortable in the knowledge that nothing had been left up to chance.

Beer mile:
    I was really looking forward to this and the timing was right - just as marathon training was kicking off. A timely reminder that running is not a vocation; we do it because we enjoy it. Apart from the countless laps on the cinder track, my only nod towards training for the event was to break my Monday-Friday no drinking rule and instead enjoy a few beers. Only one of them went down the hatch, in a lacklustre 22 seconds. Not title-challenging stuff. I stupidly deposited my beers in an outside lane, which foolishly meant an extra few metres of running on every lap.

Beer 1: 21 seconds
    Lap 1: 1:25
    Beer 2: 33 seconds
    Lap 2: 1:24
    Beer 3: 36 seconds
    Lap 3: 1:27
    Beer 4: 36 seconds
    Lap 4: 1:19
    Finish time: 7:41

It actually felt a lot easier than last year, which may have had a lot to do with the weather. I was always destined to lose my 2nd place spot, as Dublin Runner was shaving 5-10 seconds off me on every lap on the drinking front, and though we finished lap 1 together, the gap just widened from that point onwards. TRR was just a class apart, showing once again that a delinquent upbringing is all the preparation you need for an event like this. :) My finish time was one second faster than last year, so I shared a PB beer with Chivito, while waiting for the bus into town and drank many more beers afterwards, cos you got to warm down properly.
    Summary: 1 mile + 4 beers = 7:41

Sunday: 15.5 miles easy
    A far more enjoyable run than I deserved. I re-hydrated suitably before heading out, but was pretty parched by the time I hit Killiney Hill. Suitable penitence for the crimes of the previous day. Followed up with a couple of hours of rock climbing. Not my best, but hangovers and climbing don't mix well (anxiety attacks are not a good thing, when you're hanging from a rope 15m off the ground!).
    Summary: 15.5 miles in 1:56, @7:31/mile

Monday: 9 miles easy + 6 miles hilly recovery
    A lunch-time spin around work that saw a bit of pace return to the legs, despite the heat. A really enjoyable run - I'm enjoying getting back into the swing of the one hour runs. Hadn't planned on a second run, but the evening was so nice, and I had to let my dinner ingredients cool before the next stage of dinner, so nipped out for a recovery-paced run, taking in the trails around the area and briefly enjoying the fantastic views from the top of Carrickgollogan. A really slow plodding run, but the legs were feeling good by the end of it. Good prep for tomorrow's session.
    Summary: 6.17 miles in 55 mins, @8:58/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Saturday afternoon: 4.5 miles recovery + beer mile

Finish time: 7:41

It actually felt a lot easier than last year, which may have had a lot to do with the weather. I was always destined to lose my 2nd place spot, as Dublin Runner was shaving 5-10 seconds off me on every lap on the drinking front, and though we finished lap 1 together, the gap just widened from that point onwards. TRR was just a class apart, showing once again that a delinquent upbringing is all the preparation you need for an event like this. :) My finish time was one second faster than last year, so I shared a PB beer with Chivito, while waiting for the bus into town and drank many more beers afterwards, cos you got to warm down properly.
    Summary: 1 mile + 4 beers = 7:41

I like how you put me beating you down to me being a better quicker drinker! I know it sounds bad but it really was such a pleasure to beat you. It hasn't happened before and nor shall it happen again (the only exception being the 2015 Beer Mile Race perhaps).

Cannot wait to see where the marathon training takes you. You are in a great place heading into training......maybe just lay off the beer :)

I like how you put me beating you down to me being a better quicker drinker!
    Sure what else would it be?! You you mean my poor lane draw? Sure that would never have cost me 20 seconds. :D

Sure what else would it be?! You you mean my poor lane draw? Sure that would never have cost me 20 seconds. :D

It wasn't so much the outside lane, it was your not strolling over towards inside lane/binbag while supping the beer. Each lap I thought, 'he'll wander over to lane 1 this time". Nope.

Adios those precious seconds.

Today: JD Plan A: 3 miles easy + 5 x 1 Mile @Threshold w/1 mini rest + 1 hour easy
    Sh1te sleep last night plus the heat introduced some grave doubts about the potential to succeed at this session, but hitting the cinder track after three easy miles, I couldn't help but be motivated and inspired by the athletics feats that took place just three days earlier. There were no traces remaining from the beer olympics and I began to wonder if it had all just been a dream. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted the patron saint of beer miles, who had moved from his original birds-eye viewing point in the sand-pit, to the grassy knoll over-looking the track. Crap. Third-place...

5 x 1,600 @Threshold: 5:33 / 5:32 / 5:30 / 5:32 / 5:32
    I was aiming for around 5:30 - 5:31, but again, given the heat, I just made sure that I hit the right splits for the first 200/400 and maintained the effort after that. A few distractions in the form of a family running laps around the cinder, who weren't fully versed in the finer points of track etiquette (in fact, when I tried to undertake in lane 1, I was rewarded with a sharp intake of breath and (I'd imagine) some ultrasonic cursing. Then on the final rep, I had to defend my deposited gear from a mob of marauding knackers, one of home detached from his bee-line across the track, in order to have a root through my stuff. So, under the circumstances (and with just a 250ml bottle of water to provide much-needed hydration) I was happy with the splits. The hour of easy running immediately afterwards was a bit of a slog-fest, which I'm sure hit the carb-depletion/endurance target as I was fairly fooked by the time I got back to work. Might do an easy 4 miles later just to stretch out the tired calf muscles. Then again, after two hours of running in hot sunshine, I might just sleep.
    Summary: 16.33 miles in 1:55, @7 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I sympathise with you having to share your cinder track. We have visitors too .... the undesirable, nick anything that isn't bolted down type. One has to wonder at a society where if I park my car askew in a parking zone I get a bloody fine but it's ok to park your caravan outside somebody's property, block half the road, intimidate the owners, steal their property and break the water pipes so that you can have a free shower #worldgonemad

I sympathise with you having to share your cinder track. We have visitors too .... the undesirable, nick anything that isn't bolted down type. One has to wonder at a society where if I park my car askew in a parking zone I get a bloody fine but it's ok to park your caravan outside somebody's property, block half the road, intimidate the owners, steal their property and break the water pipes so that you can have a free shower #worldgonemad
    Actually, in a reversal of the stereotype, the folks in the caravan seem like nice homely family types, perhaps down on their luck. It's the local bleedin' knackers who felt the need to rifle through my stuff. Good to have you back by the way.

Today (eve): 4 mile recovery run, @8:11/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Actually, in a reversal of the stereotype, the folks in the caravan seem like nice homely family types, perhaps down on their luck. It's the local bleedin' knackers who felt the need to rifle through my stuff. Good to have you back by the way.

Today (eve): 4 mile recovery run, @8:11/mile

ha ha I had a feeling there'd be a twist;) as I was initially surprised by your original comment.

Ososlo wrote: »
    ha ha I had a feeling there'd be a twist;) as I was initially surprised by your original comment.
    Yeah, sorry I was using the Dublin term 'knackers', to indicate hooligans of a poor disposition, rather than the derogatory reference to members of the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

...my Monday-Friday no drinking rule ....
    I've often thought your approach to training is a bit extreme - surely though, that's a step too far!

Congratulations on your recent results and apologies for not appreciating them individually - if I did I'd have no time left for running. Best of luck with Frankfurt prep.

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    I've often thought your approach to training is a bit extreme - surely though, that's a step too far!

Congratulations on your recent results and apologies for not appreciating them individually - if I did I'd have no time left for running. Best of luck with Frankfurt prep.
    Cheers Séan! I love beer. But I'm beginning to suspect that I love running more though (which is a little ironic, as I started running so I could drink more beer!). The thing about running, is that I can run in the morning and no-one will bat an eyelid. If I run at lunch-time, no-one accuses me of having a problem. After a hard session I don't end up with a severe stomach cramps and saliva running down my chin. Actually, scratch that last one. Running is the solace for my soul. On the other hand, beer tastes really great.

I used to reward myself for completing a hard session by enjoying a few beers, but the impact it had on my recovery was massive. I wouldn't sleep well, obviously I'd be very dehydrated, and my muscles and joints just weren't getting the kind of repair-work that they needed. On the other hand, beer tastes really great. :) There's going to be a lot of catching up to do in Frankfurt! Good to see you in fine racing form again by the way (though you shouldn't be letting the youngster off that light!).

Advertisement