Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Jaysus, there are some real naff beers in that list, and some real beer snobbery going on:
    it's just that Australians have a bull**** detector when it comes to most things, beer included. We're in constant battle with the drink snobs as we try to explain what we like and don't like without resorting to the meaningless phrases wine and beer aficionados often use.
    Followed by:
    These are three examples of why our beers win so many prizes overseas as opposed to the myriad imports nobody in their home countries has ever heard of. It's not local pride, it's just a fact. Compared with some of the overpriced, overhyped imports out there, a schooner of Coopers Sparkling Ale (for example) is in every way superior to some cloudy dross with a picture of a grimacing German on the label and a ceramic stopper.
    I guess his bullsh1t detector wasn't turned on when he wrote that. Interestingly, I just made a batch of Cooper's Sparkling ale, which should be ready just in time for some Olympic TV watching goodness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

, I just made a batch of Cooper's Sparkling ale, which should be ready just in time for al the lads to come over for some Olympic TV watching goodness. :)
    nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Well done on the session the other day Krusty; good meeting ya.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Well done on the session the other day Krusty; good meeting ya.
    You too Paddy. Hopefully see you for a few more, before DCM 2012. Good luck on Sunday!

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Had hoped to compete in the Graded meets 800m race in Santry, so did the now obligatory two mile afternoon run to check that all systems were go. Run went fine, but afterwards my left calf was twitchy and felt like I had a very mild spasm or calf strain. But, it was only 800m so I figured I'd survive. Sadly it was not to be as work conspired against me. By the time I got an urgent issue dealt with and had changed into my race gear, I had 25 minutes to get from Clondalkin to Morton Stadium, register, warm-up and race. So instead of turning left for Santry, I turned right for home and had to settle for a 5 mile easy run. Booo.....

Summary: 5.19 miles in 37:43, @7:16/mile, HR=~125

Tonight: Ugh....

The Plan:
    2 Mile warm-up
    5 x 1000m @5:20/mile (3:20)
    2 mins easy jog

6 x 400m @4:57/mile (74 seconds)
    3 mins easy run
    2 Mile warm-down

The Reality:
    2 Mile warm-up
    5 x 1000m @average 5:17/mile in: 3:20/3:17/3:20/3:19/3:20
    2 mins gentle strut

6 x 400 @average 4:57/mile in: 74/74/72/76/73/74
    3 mins stagger
    1 Mile warm-down

Not quite as elegant as planned, but hit all of the intervals and repetitions (who knew there was a difference?) right on the button, even if Daniels wouldn't have been entirely thrilled with the speed of things between the intervals and reps (I stuck to the right amount of recovery time, but not necessarily the recovery speed). These sessions are a damn sight harder when you do them on your own and when you do them on an undulating tarmac path (10 miles seems to be my pain threshold limit limit for racing flats). For some reason, all of the east-bound reps seemed a lot easier, while the west-bound reps seemed much harder. It's mostly a level path, with some dips and tiny upward slopes, and little wind, so it might have been psychological (being able to see the finish point ahead) that made those reps feel easier.

Enjoyed the 400m reps a lot more than the 1k reps, though 'enjoyed' is a very strong word. Maybe 'disliked less' would be more befitting. Anyway, it's been a while since I did a hard session on my toblerone, so glad to get this one ticked off and hit the numbers. What makes you stronger, hasn't killed you.

Summary: 10 miles and a lot of sweat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Looks a quality session to me.

Looks a quality session to me.
    I was just looking at your own recent session. Doesn't look like you're far off my numbers. You won't be long catching me. Look forward to seeing you shoot past the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I was just looking at your own recent session. Doesn't look like you're far off my numbers. You won't be long catching me. Look forward to seeing you shoot past the other side!

I didn't tag on 6X400 at the end!

Must be a very quick 10km in your legs waiting to be released.

• Advertisement

I didn't tag on 6X400 at the end!
    That wasn't me. That was Daniels (the bastid!).
    Must be a very quick 10km in your legs waiting to be released.
    Not sure about that. I ran 35:23 recently and was well happy with that. Would love to break 35, but I reckon I'll have to be a good bit stronger/faster before that'll happen, but might have a pop before DCM and try and get a bit closer.

Today: 8 Miles herding bunnies

Corkagh Park reminded me of that scene from Father Ted, when Dougal gets a rabbit called Sampras. The rabbits were everywhere. A necessary distraction from the tiredness in mind and body. After last night's tough session, I only managed 3/4 hours sleep, so feeling pretty wrecked today (evinced by the slightly higher heart rate), but the legs were happy enough to tip along at 7:20/mile. Tonight: a break from running for some well-deserved needed beers.

Summary: 8.2 miles in 60 mins, @7:19/mile, HR=135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Because, Krusty, my nerves are shot and I won't be able to relax until the only rabbit left is the one sitting in your head working the controls!!

Today: 10k easy run that really felt easy. Gradual increase in mileage seems to be working. 6.27 miles in 46 mins, @7:19/mile, HR=133. Followed by 15 minute paddle in Killiney.

Yesterday: 19 miles steady/easy

Arriving out in Swords with the Emer911 who was running the Fingal 10k, I greatly regretted not signing up for the race. Nice weather, challenging route, good competition, it would have been a cracking race. But most importantly, there was a 9m/s head-wind all the way back to South Dublin, and I had planned to run home (or close to it) after the race. Met up with Peckham, who was on parenting duties instead of race duties, and caught the start/middle/end of the race. Will post my photos from the race later this evening.

Having met up with Emer after the race, I ditched my standing around gear, and headed home. Wasn't too sure of the route, but it was easy enough to orient myself. As long as there was a good head-wind and mountains straight ahead, I was heading in the right direction. :rolleyes: Past the airport (love watching planes taking off and landing overhead!), into town, weaving my way through all the Dubs fans (glad I was wearing blue!) and out to Blackrock along the coast. I was glad I had my sunglasses, as the wind was firing dust and crap at me at a ferocious rate. Running past the 40 foot, I decided I would loop back once I had hit my 18 miles and take a dip to help the legs recuperate. I hit the 18 mile mark in Dalkey, grabbed some drinks (I was well dehydrated at that stage, as the strong gusts camouflaged the sunshine and humid conditions on the way home) and arrived back at the 40 foot having done 19 miles.

The sea was recuperative and invigorating, after the heat and physical stress of 19 miles of concrete paths and stop/starting for traffic. Still, a nice way to spend 19 miles. I find it so much more interesting to have a purpose for my run (beyond mere training). Later in the afternoon, cycled out to Bray and back with the family, for some airshow (and beer!) goodness, to complete the rather unusual sporting triumvirate.

Summary: 19 miles in 2:18, @7:17/mile, HR=~133

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

Crucial piece of information missing here - did you skinny dip or run home in wet shorts? Or swim in shorts and run home au-naturale?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

A run, a bike, and a swim, all in one day?

C'mon, loads of cool kids at Bunclody. Easy 500m pool swim. Ya know ya want to.;)

Peckham wrote: »
    Crucial piece of information missing here - did you skinny dip or run home in wet shorts? Or swim in shorts and run home au-naturale?!
    I actually ran the 19 miles in my budgie-smugglers, so was able to jump into the sea without any further ado. :)

In reality, there was no way I was running the ultimate 5 miles back to home (would have been a 24 mile long run), so I used the bat-phone, and was rescued from the prescribed extraction point, complete with sandy, wet shorts.
    Easy 500m pool swim.
    If only I could survive an easy 500m pool swim, I'd be all over it like a rash (like the rash you get from running in sea-salty shorts). I did a few breast strokes, a little swimming on my back and tested the water with a few freestyle strokes (just so I didn't look like a complete d1ckhead among those brave souls diving into the waters from the pier above; but I failed miserably).

Today: 10 mile easy run
    Realized that I'd forgotten the watch today and my mp3 player was out of juice, so headed out almost 'au-natural' (at the last minute I stuffed my phone into a pocket, with Garmin FIT app running). The wind was a blowin', so I figured I'd get the tough miles over with first, and headed towards Tallaght into very strange weather conditions (getting blasted by sun, wind and rain all at the same time), before looping back by Newlands Cross (Gah! stuck at the traffic lights for almost 10 minutes!) before another trot into the wind through Corkagh Park. Not having the watch with me made for a great run, particularly in the windy conditions and I ended up running a few miles more than I would've, had I been clock-watching. So there's definitely a time and a place for the watch (even if I did have a sneaky phone in my pocket, recording the route!).

Summary: 10 point something miles, at some pace, in some time, with a heart rate!

Sneaky extra five miles after work, but before a late dinner. Still, 15 for the day is a good result. Summary: 5 miles, 36 mins, 7:16/mile, HR=131

• Advertisement

Afternoon: Easy 6 miles with Keith123 around the canals, in 47 mins, @7:53/mile, HR=~118
    Evening: 6 pissy miles around KatieTaylorTown. No olympic spirit though, just lashing rain and rivers of water. Ugh. 45 mins, @7:29/mile, HR=127

Today: Failed tempo run
    Frustrating one today. Started off the day with a dodgy tum but promptly forgot about it. Feck all sleep last night, so wasn't well setup for this one. Plan was a two mile warm-up, 8 miles at tempo pace (5:55/mile adjusted down to 6:09/mile according to Daniels) and a further two miles of warm-down. Looped around to Corkagh for the start of this one, which I regretted immediately as their was a blast of head-wind (not a good start to an 8 mile tempo), but soon settled into it. Some of the drags along Fonthill Road were tough, but as soon as I turned onto 9th Lock Road it got a lot easier. Then just as I hit the half way point, I was ravaged by stomach cramps. Gah! Foiled!

If it had happened sooner, I would have just abandoned the run and reset for this evening, or tomorrow. If I'd managed another mile or two I would have been happy to call it quits. But half way? That's just annoying.. I had hoped to go back and do the missing tempo miles this evening, but feeling a bit run-down now. May have over-done the miles over the last few days. It's a pain as the tempo section was going rather well.

Summary: 8 miles in 55 mins, @6:46/mile, HR=~138

Evening: 5 easy miles, just because I was a little dissatisfied with the earlier messing. 38 mins, @7:37/mile, HR=~120

Today: 7 miles recovery
    Still not feeling very well, and still suffering from stomach problems, I headed off for an easy recovery run with Keith123. Met up with Abhainn briefly in Corkagh Park, but he was sweating (which means he was probably running sub 6 min/miles!) so after a brief chat, left him off and continued plodding around the park with Keith. This week will mostly be about getting the miles in the legs which will be a struggle with a few days in Manchester on the cards, but will hopefully get to do one of the infamous Park Runs and still try and hit 80 miles for the week (may end up running loops on the ferry though!). So nice to run in the sun. What a different country we live in, for those brief spells.

Summary: 7 miles in 55:42, @7:50/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

(may end up running loops on the ferry though!).

Makes for an interesting Garmin reading if you do it whilst the ferry is moving.

Peckham wrote: »
    Makes for an interesting Garmin reading if you do it whilst the ferry is moving.
    I was wondering how one could possibly work out one's mileage on a moving ferry. We'd need to ask the mathematician, Kurt Cobain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I was wondering how one could possibly work out one's mileage on a moving ferry. We'd need to ask the mathematician, Kurt Cobain.

So he adds, subtracts AND sings??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I can't sing or mumble, dude (but I just got results of my Statistics exam today, Distiction:D:D:D). Something to do with relativity, think you need a Garmin Radio Friendly Unit Shifter or some sh!t...never mind.

Sneaky (beginning to sounds like Ultraman!) 7 miles after work in Corkagh Park. Like the earlier run, only slightly faster, in 49 mins, @7:05/mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Sneaky (beginning to sounds like Ultraman!) 7 miles after work in Corkagh Park. Like the earlier run, only slightly faster, in 49 mins, @7:05/mile.

Your commitment to training at the moment has me worried and impressed/jealous.

Obviously worried as you must be targeting big improvements :)

jealous as I'd love to find the time to logs miles like yours myself but also impressed as I had that time in years gone by and never utilised it properly.

So what's your real DCM target? Has to be sub 2.40!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement