Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This evening: 4 miles easy with strides
    Another four miles just to pick up the tempo a little. I was still soaked from my previous commute, so might as well clock up a few miles before hitting the shower. Threw on the spikes and headed for the nearest soccer pitch, where I did strides on some of the diagonals, and sprinted some of the widths.
    Summary: 4 miles in 29:37, @7:12/mile, HR=139

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Ha that was a great report. Hopefully a youtube video will emerge
    Yep. Cos that's what the world needs; another Napoleon Dynamite.
    I've got skills. :)

Apart from the 400m race (which lasted just over a minute) it's been easy recovery miles for most of the week, particularly the last few days, where I've been trying to recover from the latest set of ills that the sprinting effort has bestowed upon me. So I needed something with a bit of zing for the training week and given the fab weather, the Garden of Ireland 7k, in nearby Powerscourt, fit the bill nicely.

An easy 2.2 mile run in the morning gave me the all-clear for the race in the evening. Followed it up with a 10 minute dip in the sea off Killiney Beach, which seemed to help with the the tendon pain I've been getting at the back of my knee after sprinting. Headed out to Powerscourt on the bike in cracking weather, and met up with Beepbeep (who seems to be at the start line of every race going these days). A couple of warm-up miles with a clubbie (probably a little too fast) and I had already done 5 miles for the day before the race had even started. Met up with Peckham who seemed to be in good form, and more club-mates and lots more people I haven't seen in years) and then we were corralled for the start. Looking at the runners lining up at the start, I reckoned a top 10 was achievable, so when the race kicked off, I worked my way into the top group of around 12/13 runners over the first couple of hundred metres.

The first mile is a tough climb of 70m (for the start of a race), that saw the kids and over-enthusiastic runners falling back before we crested the top. Hitting the brief gentle uphill, I had gained around two places and was in around 10th spot. We hit the downhill that went on for nearly two miles and I worked my way forward to catch two other runners, in around 8th place. We ran together for the next mile, until eventually one of the young lads dropped off the pace. The other runner held on, and we shared a few words on the easy downhills. After a while he too dropped off the pace and his footsteps got quieter. I saw a runner ahead and worked my way towards him over the next mile, and passed him as we hit the climb that marked the start of a steep climb towards the finish. He jumped into my shadow, but must have been bushed as he didn't last long either.

It's a nasty climb, but this is the kind of hill I run frequently, so I know the trick is just to relax, keep the head high and just keep plugging away. With 800m to go, I risked a glance behind me, and my nearest pursuer was trailing by 150m (which on a steep hill climb is a decent gap). I hit the top of the hill, and pushed the last 150m to the finish line, where the announcer proclaimed that I was the 4th place finisher. I'd lost count, so it was a nice surprise. At the same time, I'm getting used to finishing in the bubble (ever the bridesmaid), so I'll really have to take on a race one of these days, and take a more risk-based approach in order to secure a stronger finishing position. Having said that, after finishing just off last place on Wednesday it was nice to finish just off the podium this time around. A couple of miles warm-down with the winners and the category winners (I took the m40 prize so ran an almost cost-neutral race!) and I had wrapped up 11 miles for the day and 55 miles for the week so far.

Summary: 7k in 26:07, @6:02/mile, HR=167

Today: 12.5 Medium long run
    A great end to a very solid week of running. I met up with theboyblunder in appallingly wet (but by now pretty much standard) conditions in the back car-park of Marlay Park, and we headed up the Mountain Plod route. Still not certain if I'll do the race, but it's a damn fine training route nonetheless, that exercises every muscle imaginable in the legs. Even on the long uphill climb, that chatter didn't slow, and the tough miles sped by. Masseys was a bit of a muddy quagmire, which sapped a good bit of energy from my race weary legs, but tbb just plugged away. Nice to hit the top of Cruagh and get a bit of respite before the tough climb to Tibradden. Sadly no spectacular views today, just rain and mist. I was glad eventually to hit the downhill, but my achilles didn't take kindly to it. Still chatting away, I didn't notice that my watch (to which I had uploaded the entire route) had crashed and turned itself off. Grumble, grumble. Stoopid technology.

Fair play to tbb for finishing up with an extra mile or two, back to home. Of course he had little choice as I wasn't letting his muddy frame into my shiny car, but fair play to him anyway. :) A very enjoyable run that I'm sure I'll feel tomorrow (particularly with all the chaffing!) but so worth it. Just shy of 67 miles for the week, including two races, so a solid running week.

Summary: 12.47 miles in 1:47, @8:35/mile.

Today: 10k recovery run

Despite a liberal dosing of bodyglide before yesterday's damp mountain run, I was chaffed to bits in the unending stream of rain, so I was delighted to head out once more into the pissing rain to grab some lunch at the nearby Subway. I had Keith123 for company so the miles flew by. The mountain run seems to have stretched out my calf though, as the pain in the back of my knee was far less pronounced today. Hopefully it stays that way, or I'll have to treat the calf to some more Irish sea swims and mountain runs. My HR is getting lower again, so the general aerobic/recovery runs seem to be doing the job.

Summary: 10k in 49:45, @7:57/mile, HR=121

• Advertisement

... and I got a new pair of shorts, so what better reason to sneak out for another 4 recovery miles, @7:58, HR=~120

Today: 10k easy run

Bit of a disaster of a day. Planned a lunch run, but got caught up in work. Looked up from my computer and it was 4pm. Decided to have lunch and run at 6pm. Looked up from computer, it was 8pm. Arrived home in a stroppy mood, which carried into my run. Felt knackered and struggled around the 10k loop. Pretty miserable and has cast a doubt over tomorrow's 5k race. Sitting watching TV afterwards, and got a cramp in the legs. Must be because I haven't had a beer in a couple of days. Beer vitamin deficiency. :) Will try and do a couple of miles tomorrow afternoon to see if the legs are ok for the race.

Summary: 10 crappy kilometers in 46 mins, @7:23/mile, HR=126

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Congrats on the sub 17, 16:58 (http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Kinnegad5km_2012.pdf). Super running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great result Krusty, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Savage time G, well done, good to see you.

• Advertisement

With three races in the last 8 days, my wife has taken to calling me a race whore(!), but while I have been enjoying racing of late, all three races had a specific purpose. The 400m was to gain a bit of experience and set a 400m time marker. The 7k powercourt run was a substitue for a tempo run and was for a good cause. I had two objectives in mind for the Kinnegad 5k:
    1) Crack 17 minutes, having previously run 17:01 at the Lecheile AC 5k race.
    2) Secondly, I felt like I was a little soft in my last two races, so I wanted to go out hard, and risk failure in order to try and achieve my goal. In other words, not play it safe. I'm not in the same shape I was, when I ran 17:01 (as I was on the back of the marathon plan which included lots of 5k intervals), so the only way I could crack 17 minutes was hard graft and I was willing to risk blowing my race entirely to get the time.

An easy run the night before suggested the timing was not right for an assault on my 5k PB, and an easy two miles a few hours before the race also suggested that it wasn't a good idea, but once the clock hit 7pm, I left work and headed for Kinnegad. Arriving down there, I spied the friendly face of PK, who kindly agreed to let me stash my bike stuff during the race, so one less worry. Got kitted up and went for another easy 1.5 miles, where the legs just felt tired, niggly and a little dead. A brief chat with Lecheile and everyone was mustering their way into starting positions. I jogged around the side to the front of the race and stepped in behind the start line into the second row. I was immediately jostled backwards as some idiotic participants (complete with water bottles) climbed in from the side and pushed their way onto the starting line (which explains my sour face in the starting line photograph!). I didn't have time to navigate around them, before the starting horn was sounded and we were off. Except we weren't. The eejits that had moved to the front started running at around 10 minute/mile, and had slowed the entire right hand side of the race to a whimper. I was being pushed and jostled from behind and was stuck behind the eejits. Eventually I found a gap and ran through, but I was now in around 100th place, and had lost around 5-10 seconds.

I immediately started working my way through the running groups, running too fast, more out of frustration than compensation. Eventually I saw two groups ahead that marked the pointy end of the race. I caught up with the nearest group and got ready to settle in for the rest of the race, but then remembered one of my race goals, which was to push and push hard. So I increased my pace and pushed past the group and as we rounded the corner, I passed Rory Mooney who in a recent 5 mile road race had put in a far superior performance to my own, so I wondered was I doing the right thing by pushing past him, but this was a do or die race. Eventually I got within 30m of the leading group, but try as I might, I couldn't close the distance, particularly with the head-wind. Looking up, I saw that this wasn't in fact the lead group, and there were a further 2/3 runners a good 300m up ahead, who were obviously the 14 minute 5k guys. The watched beeped the first mile, and a quick glance told me that I'd done the mile in just under 5:20.

We turned right into a boreen and the lovely flat road surface was replaced by a grass strip in the middle of the narrow lane, and each side of the grass strip was cambered down to the ditches. It was tough running on this surface in the racing flats, and a shoe with a little more support and grip might have made for a better race. At this stage the pack had begun to string out as each runner got to grips with their own race pace. I was never closer than 30 metres from the back of the group and try as I might, I couldn't close the gap. It mattered little as with the narrow lane and twists in the road, there was little comfort afforded by being in a group, and you needed to be able to watch where you were putting your feet, because of the potholes and gravel.

At this stage, I was working very hard, and the only thing that raised my spirits was the sight of a new kilometer marker. The second mile passed in a far less impressive 5:30. My mind started working against me, and I employed the same tricks that had worked in Dunshaughlin. I convinced myself that it was only temporary and that it would pass (in the end, it didn't, so I'm going to need a new mind trick for the next race!). I was in a bit of a jock, but the only way was forward, so what choice did I have but to keep going. I settled into what the triathletes would probably call a pain-cave, and just focused on moving forward.

I hit the 4k marker and glanced at my average pace on the watch, which reported 5:27. I was gone. The goal was gone and my race ambition was shattered. But I was still in a race, and sitting somewhere near the top 10, so what choice did I have but to keep going and keep suffering. I couldn't hear anyone behind me, but if I slowed, I knew I would get caught and it would be 'the worst fu**king thing on earth' so I kept working my way forwards. Eventually I past a sign that read '800m to go'. A glimmer of hope. I was going to survive. Another glance at the watch to confirm the goal was gone (average 5:28/mile) and I struggled to keep the pace going. Suddenly, there was daylight. A new lease of life. The end was near. I emerged from the boreen and mustered a little more speed in the legs.

I rounded the final corner and tried to make out the gantry clock. Eventually, I was within around 80m and read 16:47. No frickin way. Not this time. Pisco Sour would have been proud. I picked up the pace, lengthened my stride and found speed from somewhere. The Garmin tells me I covered the last 192m of the race in 35 seconds, crossing the finish line at 4:18/mile, with a time of 16:58 showing on the clock. I was over the moon. I finished in 10th place overall (3rd m40 :eek:). I had hit my two race goals and learned a couple of valuable lessons in the process:

1) Even when you think your target is out the window, keep going. Keep plugging away. Do whatever it takes, as nothing is decided until the end (my Rocky speech).
    2) It doesn't matter how you feel the night before the race or even a few hours before the race. Hell, it doesn't even matter how you feel during the race. All that matters is how you feel as you run across the finish line (my Oscar speech).
    3) M40's are competitive buggers!

Great to meet-up with wideball who ran a cracking time (glad I finished in front of him in this race, as I won't be finishing in front of him next year), the ever-friendly Lecheile gang, and all the boards folks who make running races that much more fun. Coffee, chat and sandwiches and I was headed back on the bike to Dublin, on the big open highway, with the sun fading in the background, with a big smile on my face (and uncomfortable cramps in my legs (well you can't have it all your own way!)).

Summary: 5k in 16:58, @5:27/mile

Yesterday: 6 mile recovery and 4 miles easy
    Two easy runs just to encourage recovery, and hopefully set me up for a decent session tomorrow.
    Summary: 6 miles + 4 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Nice final sprint - that speed work is paying off !

Now that you have broken 17 mins, I think you should be aiming for another big jump in times - 16:30, 16:40 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Well done boss.
    Glad you cracked that elusive 17 min barrier, now can you kindly feck off back to the sprinting/posing and leave this 'longer stuff' to the rest of us ;-)

dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice final sprint - that speed work is paying off !

Now that you have broken 17 mins, I think you should be aiming for another big jump in times - 16:30, 16:40 ?
    At this stage, it'll probably have to come on the back of marathon training, as next in my sites will probably be the National Half and the Dublin Marathon (as a kick-off to London Marathon next year which is the A goal). But my marathon plan has a lot of 5k specific intervals/pace stuff, so it could work out well.

I still hope to run the 400 and the 800, when I get an opportunity and some 10ks along the way.
    Patrick_K wrote:
    Well done boss.
    Thanks much, and thanks again for the loan of the boot-space. If you could see your way to parking at the Papal Cross car-park tomorrow for 1pm, I'd really appreciate it. In fact, if you could also get me a spare key cut, that'd work out even better. ;)

Today: 7 mile easy

There was a time when I would've jumped into the car or onto the bike, to pick up something like a HDMI cable. These days, I'm more likely to throw on the runners after taking a quick glance at Google maps for the shortest route. That's all good and well, until the shop you arrive at doesn't have the item in question, and the nearest shop is 2 miles further down the road. D'oh..

Summary: 7 miles in 48 mins, @6:52/mile, HR=138

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

We'll have to get you throwing a hammer next. :)

Great run in the 5K. Good to see the benefits of your 400 work come through. A shame that yet again there were donkeys right up at the front ruining peoples races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    We'll have to get you throwing a hammer next. :)

Great run in the 5K. Good to see the benefits of your 400 work come through. A shame that yet again there were donkeys right up at the front ruining peoples races.

There was a huge proportion in this race, I had to move diagonally back behind slower people as a better option than the 4 little girls and their walking Mammys who placed themselves in front of me.

Today: 19.5 mile session with 2 x 3 mile @ Tempo pace

With dinner and drinks on the cards for this evening, it was great to get an invite out to join the Tallaght AC guys for their long run session today. Headed out to Tallaght's club-house (amazing facilities) and met up with cwgatling, ecoli and tunguska (running savages). An easy 2.65 mile warm-up loop and we hit the track for three miles, with Tunguska leading the charge, ecoli just behind, and myself and cwgatling making up the rear guard. My plan was to stick to 5:50/mile (10 mile race pace), but with ecoli to chase, it was just a little too easy to run too fast, and a little too difficult to slow down, but it felt comfortable enough. 3 Miles in 17:20, HR=153

This was followed by an 8 mile easy loop around the maze that is Tymon Park,@ 7 min/mile, HR=134, then a brief break, before we hit the track again, for another 3 mile tempo run, which felt a little harder this time around, but still manageable. 3 Miles in 17:27, HR=154. Finally a 2.6 mile warm-down, where the energy levels plummeted completely. I was glad to arrive back at the car and tuck into some fruit to get the sugar levels back up.

I've never done a session like this before and it was a real eye-opener. I can see why the lads have such fight in them on the race circuit, as sessions like this toughen you up on the outside as well as the inside. I really enjoyed it, and would love a crack at doing some more sessions like this. Thanks much Tallaght folks!

Summary: 19 miles in 2:13 (with a few breaks)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wow, tough session

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

+1 on this not usually a follower of daniels buts sessions like that definitely make for good strength work though wasn't a bother to you even leaving us behind on the "easy running" part

Fair play man great to have you out and have a group to work off for sessions (dont get it too often myself)

ecoli wrote: »
    even leaving us behind on the "easy running" part
    My granny would have left me behind on the warm-down loop and I could do with a little snooze now. :) Don't envy you for a second heading to work afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My granny would have left me behind on the warm-down loop and I could do with a little snooze now. :) Don't envy you for a second heading to work afterwards!

I feel the same way hopefully I can sneakily get away with a power nap for a half hour in here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

With dinner and drinks on the cards for this evening, it was great to get an invite out to join the Tallaght AC guys for their long run session today. Headed out to Tallaght's club-house (amazing facilities) and met up with cwgatling, ecoli and tunguska (running savages). An easy 2.65 mile warm-up loop and we hit the track for three miles, with Tunguska leading the charge, ecoli just behind, and myself and cwgatling making up the rear guard. My plan was to stick to 5:50/mile (10 mile race pace), but with ecoli to chase, it was just a little too easy to run too fast, and a little too difficult to slow down, but it felt comfortable enough. 3 Miles in 17:20, HR=153

This was followed by an 8 mile easy loop around the maze that is Tymon Park,@ 7 min/mile, HR=134, then a brief break, before we hit the track again, for another 3 mile tempo run, which felt a little harder this time around, but still manageable. 3 Miles in 17:27, HR=154. Finally a 2.6 mile warm-down, where the energy levels plummeted completely. I was glad to arrive back at the car and tuck into some fruit to get the sugar levels back up.

I've never done a session like this before and it was a real eye-opener. I can see why the lads have such fight in them on the race circuit, as sessions like this toughen you up on the outside as well as the inside. I really enjoyed it, and would love a crack at doing some more sessions like this. Thanks much Tallaght folks!

Jayz... 2 x 5k at only 20 secs/mile (?) slower than your 5k race pace in the middle of a 19 miler! No wonder you were tired afterwards. Fair play, that's one super workout

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Rolex_ wrote: »

Jayz... 2 x 5k at only 20 secs/mile (?) slower than your 5k race pace in the middle of a 19 miler! No wonder you were tired afterwards. Fair play, that's one super workout
    I feel tired just reading that session..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great stuff in the 5k Krusty, well done!

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    Easy 6 mile grassy run with the 6mm spikes. Achilles a little tight, but legs feeling better. Now to do a little Daniels homework.
    Summary: 6 miles in 44:39, @7:26, HR=~127

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great running yesterday - savage session

all you need to know about Dr. Daniels is that he will make you very fit (or in your case very very fit), and very, very tired :)

Afternoon: 5 mile easy run
    Went for the usual easy run with Keith123, but figured I'd pick up the pace and see how long it would take him to notice. 2.5 miles before he figured it out, but we were motoring at a handy 7:30/mile at that stage. I picked up the pace for the last mile to bring it up to Daniels easy pace, before a brief warm-down.
    Summary: 5.38 miles in 39:27, @7:20/mile, HR=~136

Evening: 5 miles steady/1 warm-down
    Back on with the spikes for a 5 mile steady run, before a final warm-down miles in the wet sploshy conditions.
    Summary: 6.29 miles in 42:07 mins, @6:38/mile, HR=143

• Advertisement

Afternoon: 7 miles steady
    Stared at Google maps, looking for somewhere interesting to run 7 miles, but spent too much time procrastinating, so with a meeting coming up at 3pm, I stuck an imaginary pin at the screen and headed for.... Clover Hill Prison. Bleedin roasting out there and with a bit of head-wind on the return journey, I was sweating buckets. Not a good look in the meeting shortly after arriving back. All for the cause.

Summary: 7 miles, 49:26 mins, 7:02/mile, HR=138?

Evening: 3 mile easy plod
    A little annoyed that I didn't manage to get more miles in earlier, I headed to the park with my littlest 'un, and di a few very easy loops while she practiced gymnastics.
    Summary: 3 miles in 24:52

Advertisement