Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What are you doing up at this hour??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What are you doing up at this hour??!!!
    Burning the candle at both ends. :)

Friday: 5 mile easy run
    Waiting at home all morning for the Olympic ticket delivery guy, hopping from one foot onto the other eagerly awaiting my run. Bastid didn't turn up till 2pm, so only had 40 minutes for a run at that stage. Waste of a half day.
    Summary: 5 miles/38 mins, 7:15/mile, HR=~140 (quite high but very humid).

Saturday morning: 11.5 mile medium long run
    A rake of pints in Doolin on Friday night and I was ready for some penitence. Headed from Doolin Village to the end of Fisher Street, then climbed up past Doonagore Castle to the road to Lahinch. Continued up as far as the Cliffs of Moher visitor's centre into tremendous gales, before retracing my steps back down to Doolin. A wonderful run that expunged any beer guilt, with views that made the hills and wind worthwhile. Unfortunately I deleted my activity while getting the watch ready for surfing.
    Summary: 11.5 miles in 1:20, @6:59/mile.

Saturday afternoon: 1 hour of surfing in Lahinch. Great to get back into the wetsuit after a break of more than a year. It still fits thankfully, but I can't help feeling a little like an androgynous super-hero (or villain) in the suit. Amazing hour of surfing before we had to call it quits and head back to shore, to meet-up with patient families. The Garmin 910 is sh1t at tracking surfing!

Sunday evening: 5 mile easy run
    A rake more pints on Saturday night (what else would you be doing when you're in Doolin?) followed by a very early morning start to bring youngest child to the Leinster Athletics finals in Tullamore (didn't go well). Home, snoozing on the coach, shopping, cooking. Got into the gear and stood out at the front door and it started pissing rain. I was sooooo close to turning back and getting comfortable on the sofa for the Euro's final, but I know the first time I take that option, It'll create opt-out options in future, so I forced myself out for a miserable 6 miles. Unfortunately I still had the watch in outdoor swim mode, and for some reason, it doesn't track distance covered accurately (at one stage I ran around 400m and the watch distance didn't change at all). Anyway, a miserable 6 miles to finish off the week at a fairly miserable 48 miles. Surfing hasn't done my back any favours either, but it was so worth it!

Summary: 6 miles in 45 mins, @7:22/mile

Afternoon: 5 mile easy loop around Corkagh Park, in 38 mins, @7:25/mile, HR=~138

Evening: 5 mile hill/steady run
    Great run loop, perfect for when you're feeling tired, as after you struggle your way up the initial 2 mile climb, you get to enjoy the steady three miles of downhill, where despite best efforts, your legs end up pumping at close to 10k pace. Bliss.
    Summary: 5 miles in 35 mins, @7 min/mile

Tonight: 10k recovery run
    Couldn't face the proposition of more slow loops around the local park, so headed to the nearby Heronford Lane for a change, and when I got there, I realized there were some unexplored paths and trails I had never visited before. Well, they're unexplored no longer. Constantly looking over my shoulder for a farmer with a cocked shotgun under his arm, I had a nosy around the trails and found what looked at first like an elephant's graveyard, though on closer inspection, the elephant's remains were old discarded electricity and telegraph pylons. On the way back, as I passed a nearby halting site, a yappy terrier emerged, threatening to have a nip at my heels. Normally I'd face them down until they cowered in fear, but every time I turned my back on this feicir, he got closer to my heels. Eventually I got pissed off and charged at him, and he disappeared back into the halting site, yelping like he'd been shot. Well the last thing I needed, was a group of angry travellers, wondering what I'd done to their dog, so I had to pick up the pace and head for home. Recovery run no longer, the last mile was at around 6:20/mile, with a higher than normal heart rate. Adventures in your own backyard. :)
    Summary: 6.3 miles in 51 mins, @8:03/mile, HR=~132

• Advertisement

The preparation build-up:
    So I finally bit the cherry and ran my first sprint race. I ran an easy 2.5 mile run in the afternoon to make sure that the body would be up for it and with just tighness in the left calf, I figured I'd give it a pop. 4th July celebrations in the US meant that I could leave work earlier than normal, so at 5:30pm I was out the door and headed for Shankill to pick up the car, to head to Ringsend and Irishtown Stadium.

400m races seem few and far between, and this particular meet only offered grades A-C, which on further analysis showed that the typical finisher would be somewere in the 51-56 second region, so I knew I was well off the standard and would be coming last by a sizable chunk, but this outing was all about experience and setting an initial time, so I was mentally ready to get a large serving of humble pie (or pecan pie for the day that's in it). My preparation for the race was woeful. I had stolen a couple of training sessions from 0405-62384's training log, and completed them 4-5 weeks previously, which landed me in a world of niggles and hurts and I had done nothing specific since. But if I was going to have a go at sub-60, I'd need to at least have a pop at this alien concept of sprinting, so that I'd get a better idea of what I needed to do to have a serious crack. Before departing, my 12 year old daughter had given me a 30 second tutorial on the fine art of setting up blocks and showing me which was my leading and trailing leg, so I was ready. :eek:

Arriving at Irishtown Stadium, I realized that this was a whole new world. Everybody was thin, muscular, chiselled, confident, and wearing tight lycra. I recognized some of the names being called out over the PA from discussions on these forums. There were a few green Ireland vests wandering in and out of the facility. There were no familiar faces. I felt a little like a rabbit that had accidentally wandered into a foxes' den. But I've been in situations like this before and I knew that after this first race, the environment would be less intimidating the next time around. I registered for the race, paid my €8 (marathons represent far greater value for money!) and went back track side to watch some of the earlier races. The women's 400 was an eye-opener. Everyone used blocks (Brianderunner you fibber!), and the race was won in a blistering 55.7 seconds, by Siofra Butler, with the last runner coming in at 62:51.

On your marks:
    Next up was the men's C Grade race, so I headed to the track to see which lane I had been assigned. There were only four runners called and none of them were me. I check with the guy with the list, and I was down for the next race. Cr8p. Had I been bumped to the B Grade race? Well, nothing for it, but to watch the race and wait my turn. Again, everyone used blocks, so I realized that at this stage it was inevitable, and I was greatful for my daughters 30 second tutorial. The race was won in around 52 seconds, with three of the runners crossing the finish line in close proximity, with one runner lagging behind by a good 10 seconds. Why wasn't I in this race? Myself and the final runner could have bashed it out for last place and both preserved an ounce of dignity! But it wasn't to be. No sooner than the last runner had crossed the finish line, my name was called for lane 2. I grabbed a set of blocks from the sideline, and put them down at what I hoped was the right starting point for lane 2. Looking at some of the nearby blocks, they seem to have angled them at a tangent to the curve, but I was closer to the straight. I measured it out as instructed (thanks oh wise one!) and tried a few dry runs. Lane 1 had clearly never used blocks either, as his coach was setting it up for him, while he did a few warm-up sprints.

"Runners behind your blocks" came the announcement, so I started my watch with 1 second data recording, for future posterity) and moved just behind my blocks. I took the opportunity to look at the other runners in the race. Track spikes, tall, lean, muscular, focussed. "On your marks". I copied the other runners, and bent down in front of the blocks and got into position by shuffling backwards, with my fingers splayed just behind the line. "Wait, wait, wait, runners stand up". Some feckin eejit has obviously done something wrong and we all stood up again. As the offical approached me, I realized that the feckin eejit was me. "Lane 2 - you're supposed to have one knee touching the ground", a message that was then repeated over the PA, just in case I (or anyone else) had managed to miss that little reprimand. Well, remind me to berate my 12 year old coach for not passing on that little nugget of information. An embarrassed wave of apology, and we were back into the blocks again, this time with one knee clearly hugging the ground.

The race:
    "Set", I lifted myself into what felt like a prone position. "Boom", I 'launched' myself out of the blocks. In reality, I stood up and started running. I had read previously that it was important to focus on horizontal acceleration, and avoid standing up, but in the heat of the moment, on the crack of the starter's pistol, wisdom was out the window, and I lost all of the benefits of the block start.

Immediately I saw just how poor my start was, as the runner in lane 1 caught me on the bend and started to push forward. As we exited the bend, the runners in lanes 3-8 were pulling away. I had little time to think, but remembered that the first part of the 400m was about acceleration and hitting top speed. As you exited the bend, the focus was on remaining comfortable while holding the speed, so that's what I attempted to do, as the other runners widened the distance from me. As we hit the second bend, despite trying to remain comfortable on the straight, I was beginning to suffer badly. The other runners were disappearing into the distance, and I was experiencing an entirely new sensation. Lactic acid was flooding my system and bleeding my will. I had never experienced a sensation like it. Slow down, it whispered seductively in my ear. Your race is done. The other's are all finished. Cut-right and head for the car-park. Back on the straight, with the finish line in view (most of the other runners having already crossed the finish line!), the corrupting whispers stopped, and I pumped my arms as hard as I could, and crossed the finish line with my head held high (while spit-dribbles clung to my chin). It was over.

I stumbled to the side, trying to catch my breadth. I stopped my watch. I had no idea what time I ran, but truth be told, I cared very little. I would find out my time whenever the results were posted. I watched the next race, before regrouping my dishevelled frame, and headed out to the anonymity of the Irishtown Wildlife preserve, to work out how I felt about how the race had gone.

The aftermathematics:
    No matter how I squared the race away in my head, it had been a disaster. The learning experience had been absolutely invaluable, but the race itself had been a disaster. Anything I could have gotten wrong, I managed to wrong with gusto. But the most important thought that kept on coming back to me was that I had gone out and done it. I moved out of my comfort zone and gave it a try. Looking at the Garmin activity, I reckoned my time was somewhere between 63 and 67, so when the results were posted later that night I took a small amount of pleasure in discovering that I finished in 62.4 seconds, finishing second last of the 18 runners (no idea of grades for the different races). The average finish time was 56 seconds, and without myself and the final runner, the average would have been 54 seconds, so we were so far out of our depth.

Where from here?
    Well, firstly, I've not been put-off by my first experience. I'm not sure that sprinting (or dashing!) is for me, but I still want to nail the sub-60. Things I need to do, to find those missing 2.5 seconds:
    1) Get suitable spikes for my XC shoes - easy
    2) Find a 400m race that I can be competitive in - not so easy
    3) Do some specific training - again not easy
    4) Practise with block starts - logistically difficult
    5) Learn to warm-up properly - achievable
    5) Get some lycra, a sun-tan, and some wrap-around shades - manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3) Do some specific training - again not easy
    4) Practise with block starts - logistically difficult
    5) Learn to warm-up properly - achievable

Sounds like you already have a coach on the case - maybe you can sneak into her training sessions and get some tips :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Sounds like you already have a coach on the case - maybe you can sneak into her training sessions and get some tips :)
    Nope. After the 'knee incident', she's been cut. Gonna have to find herself a new sponsor, cos I'm not paying the bills no more.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Nice job Krusty, and a great report as always!
    Have to say it all sounded very famiar. I tried the same thing a few years back and ended up with the same experience and about the same time. The ironic thing about that is I ran a 61 sec 400m without blocks at the end of a session, an easy session mind you, a couple of weeks before.
    It seemed to take me 4-5secs just to get out of the blocks, and then even though I thought I was running comfortably, I went way too fast so had to deal with the lacic from 150 out.
    Would also like to go for sub 60 again but if I do I may just do it in a fast 800m and act as pacer :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ha ha, a good laugh krusty.

i can see you with the starting blocks at the next marathon...

and all at only 12.8 cent per second.

if you kept up that pace you would finish less than 15 minutes (omg is that all?) inside the world marathon record.

nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Cant believe I was there and missed your moment of glory :D Still, I wouldnt have the balls to do a 400m so fair play for giving it a bash. Id say you'll deffo find those extra few seconds next time ya give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Ctching up with a quick skim, I though this log took a slighly odd turn recently ! Fair play for taking this on. I'm impressed. If you can match your marathon progress on the track the 60 seconds will seem as quaint as the the sub3 does now for now. I will miss the longer race reports !

Still the field of atletics is littered with the remains of those who blew off their coaches for supposed failings

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Great report, laughing as I read it. Fair play for being a brave soul running in that heat of accomplished sprinters. The Olympic qualifying time date closes on Sunday... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

2) Find a 400m race

There always National Seniors at the weekend and with Gregan hiding out in Europe after seeing you drop down in distance the title is yours for the taking:D

Seriously though fair play great time considering the no block work. Way I always try to set them up is have them as flat as possible and try as best I can to mimick a crouch start without blocks. May not help my time but its more damage limitation regarding them slowing you down

Given your first one I think sub 60 be no bother to you

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Brilliant stuff Krusty, you paint a hilarious picture.
    Fair play for giving it a lash and well done on the time.
    While I was reading the report I was wondering one thing - it seems that all the sprinters these days have a 'thing' - the Bolt lightening pose, the eyebrow smoothing while using the camera as a mirror, some crazy ghetto hand signal things - do you have one?
    If not I think you should get one, I'm bagsing the Man vs Food hand signal thing myself for when I start my own sprint career.

Absolutely. That's why I haven't had any time for sprint training, as I've been working on my 'thing' in front of the mirror. I like to walk off the track, feigning disgust. Then I like to find the event mascot, knock whatever they happen to be carrying to the ground, and push them in the chest real hard, to try to knock them over. I think it's original, but I can't be certain as I haven't had any time to watch TV either, with the whole mirror thing.

I like your thing too. You should try sprinting, just so you get to do your 'thing'. It's all about 'the thing'. It's the future of athletics.

Today: 6 mile + 4 mile recovery run
    Easy recovery run with work buddy along the canal, then looping into Corkagh, where we bumped into Shels4ever, who joined us for the last half mile. Another 4 miles this evening, just to top up the mileage.

Summary: 6 miles + 4 miles @~7:55/mile, HR=~122

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

62 seconds is impressive, well done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

. I like to walk off the track, feigning disgust. Then I like to find the event mascot, knock whatever they happen to be carrying to the ground, and push them in the chest real hard, to try to knock them over. I think it's original, but I can't be certain as I haven't had any time to watch TV either, with the whole mirror thing.

Ah now ah now! That was a distance runner who did that! ;)

Thoroughly brilliant race report. A sub 50 standard IMO. Had me laughing out loud here in work. You paint a hilarious picture. This is why the world wants you to run 400m, for race reports just like this. :D

Good result also btw. 62.4 is a very nice debut indeed. With better training (if you can fit it in) and more racing know-how, you can definitely find those 2 and a half seconds.

Fair play for giving it a shot, and great to hear you enjoyed the experience.

Any more in the pipeline for this season?

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Good result also btw. 62.4 is a very nice debut indeed. With better training
    Any more in the pipeline for this season?
    Cheers. If I could find another 400m, I'd definitely give it a pop, but I can't. There are another two graded meets, but both feature the 800m, so I'll definitely give one of them a go, but no 400m unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Cheers. If I could find another 400m, I'd definitely give it a pop, but I can't. There are another two graded meets, but both feature the 800m, so I'll definitely give one of them a go, but no 400m unfortunately.

Yeh am actually trying to find a 400m race myself for when I'm home later this month. Bit of a nightmare finding one as the AAI competition manager is of no help and just fobbed me off when I emailed her. There are races out there but you really have to go out of your way to find them it seems as the AAI are too incompetent to keep a full list of 2012 track meets on its website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Well done for putting yourself out there. Though I can't believe you did not have the shades and lycra - did you wear the ron hill leggings instead?

I reckon you lost at least a full second coming out of the blocks and probably another one by not having someone close to you to chase over the last 200m. 60s is well within your range.

I'm impressed that you are prepared to give it another go, you are a determined bollxx. One option could be the national masters in mid-Aug - last year there were 2 over 60s in the O-40 race. While you were at it you could do the 5K and pick-up a medal with a 17 min run.

dna_leri wrote: »
    I'm impressed that you are prepared to give it another go, you are a determined bollxx. One option could be the national masters in mid-Aug - last year there were 2 over 60s in the O-40 race. While you were at it you could do the 5K and pick-up a medal with a 17 min run.
    Stubbornness and a high threshold for humiliation helps! Definitely worth a look, if I can't find anything sooner. Would V2 be the equivalent of M40?

*Edit* i think I've figured that one out. I see Asimonov was in the 5,000m in the V2 category and he's in the same age category as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Ah Jaysus KC, I couldn't stop myself from laughing (Sorry:)) reading your report.
    I'd get no where near that 62 secs so take some positives.

Good man though your epitaph will read something like
    "I raced life to the full. Everything from 400m to 56 miles"

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

If I could find another 400m, I'd definitely give it a pop, but I can't.

Pretty sure there's a 400m in Santry this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

KC you paint a wonderful picture..LOL to myself here in the office, Fair play. The next 400m race won't seem half as bad...and you'll get the sub 60!!:D

Clum wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's a 400m in Santry this weekend...
    Cool, thanks. I've left them a voice-mail to see if I can sign-up. Do you know if they have a 'D' Grade? Also, will I be ok in my racing flats, or should I wear my 12mm XC spike?

Joke.

Today: 10k combined run/swim
    I could complain about the weather, but really... What's the point? It's Ireland.
    My runners are now nice and clean. I was kept refreshingly cool. Very little pollen in the air. Knackers were kept indoors. My nips are nice and polished. Hurray for the rain.

Summary: 6.38 miles in 51:10, @8:01/mile, HR=@120

Abhainn wrote: »
    I'd get no where near that 62 secs so take some positives.
    Good man though your epitaph will read something like
    "I raced life to the full. Everything from 400m to 56 miles"
    Wait until I start tackling the 100m, in the build up the the Connemara 100 miles. and I reckon you'd nail the sub-60 easily on your first attempt. Thanks for the AAI card by the way (I presume that you were the 'Joe' with the flowing French?!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ha that was a great report. Hopefully a youtube video will emerge

Advertisement