Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Probably the most eagerly anticipated race in A/R/T history. I can see Tuesday's headline:

"Krusty laughs past motorcycle crash to land lucrative 2:41 in Boston"

:D

Best of luck over there. Smash heartbreak hill hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

All the best KC, not bother to ya.
    The work is done, just 'send it home' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBWpq3y9KqI&feature=related

PK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I just went to the Boston Marathon site, and if you enter Krusty's bib number (862), you can have updates sent to your phone or to your email as he crosses the 10k, half, 30k and finish lines. Way cool. GO KRUSTY GO!!!! I'll be getting my updates on my phone. So excited!!

Here's the page link...
    http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/att-athlete-alert.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

04072511 wrote: »
    Probably the most eagerly anticipated race in A/R/T history. I can see Tuesday's headline:

"Krusty laughs past motorcycle crash to land lucrative 2:41 in Boston"

:D

Best of luck over there. Smash heartbreak hill hard.

If he hadn't spent 5 min with the Welesley girls there was a 2:36 there for the taking.

Enjoy and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for all the best wishes folks. It really means alot. After an easy four mile run around Bray, headed to the airport for an uneventful flight, but great to chat to Peckham and Wideball and their various entourages before the flight.

Arrived in Boston to bright sunshine and warm temperatures, with lots of talk of temperatures reaching 32-37'C during race day and a number of alarmist emails about the weather, from the race organizers. We're lucky enough to be staying out in the suburbs of Andover for a couple of days, so we're far away from the maddening fretting about the weather. A nice chilled evening of playing 'catch' with my friends kids was a perfect antidote to marathon stress. 4am now, just waiting for the sun to come up, so I can go for my run!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck on monday, enjoy the race :).

Just remember the london lads dont care about weather . unless it get to hot then we panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Best of luck. A brilliant training buildup. Faster and stronger than ever. Run your usual smart race. Will be a super day and you deserve it.

T runner wrote: »
    Best of luck. A brilliant training buildup. Faster and stronger than ever. Run your usual smart race. Will be a super day and you deserve it.
    Thanks T-runner. Sadly, I'm coming around to the reality that's it's just not going to happen on Monday, and it would be foolish to continue thinking that I can aim for a PB.. The temperature will be 24'C at the start of the race and 32'C after three hours, so is just not going to happen under those conditions. I reckon I'll just have to aim for a comfortable sub 3, and keep the PB attempt for another day. Saddened, but what the hell can you do?

I'll just have to take some satisfaction from your Rotterdam race, and hope that I can pick up my goal again in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Very best of luck kc. Looking forward to the report. Will
    Keep the fingers crossed for a massive decrease in temperature for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Look on it as the perfect excuse to spend some time with the Wellesley girls :)

• Advertisement

Thanks T-runner. Sadly, I'm coming around to the reality that's it's just not going to happen on Monday, and it would be foolish to continue thinking that I can aim for a PB.. The temperature will be 24'C at the start of the race and 32'C after three hours, so is just not going to happen under those conditions. I reckon I'll just have to aim for a comfortable sub 3, and keep the PB attempt for another day. Saddened, but what the hell can you do?

I'll just have to take some satisfaction from your Rotterdam race, and hope that I can pick up my goal again in a few weeks time.

Dont throw in the towel until race day at least. Weathermen must be among the only people who don't get fired for being wrong more that 50% of the time!

You don't want to do a Haile also: Buy into the media hype about smog in Beijing and all that crap, decide against the marathon, run the 10k instead which he never had a hope in hell at, then realise he made a horrific mistake giving up on the marathon long before the games.

Play the whole thing by year. If you feel good and the weather feels manageable then go for it. You can always slow down if you find the temperatures getting uncomfortable, but can you really speed up to make up for time lost?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Make sure you let us know what your next one is, don't want to be doing that one, with Chicago and now this you're jinxed. :)

Best of luck anyway, as 1234567 says it might turn out completely different on the day,

Enjoy the journey anyway. What an awesome way to see the sights of Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck KC. Been keeping tabs on your training and its been going well. Regarding the weather dont let it play on your mind. The experience of Chicago and the warm conditions there will benefit you going into this one and also the confidence that you managed to PB on that day to despite the conditions. Give it socks and see how you get on.

Looking forward to another candidate for Race report of the year in the Dec Awards;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »

Looking forward to another candidate for Race report of the year in the Dec Awards;)

But you scrapped that award last year :mad:

I think all our encouragement of giving it loads is all well and good, but when you see the warnings on the Boston Thread in events, you realise it would actually be dangerous to give it a go in those conditions. So unless things change dramaticaly just enjoy it and keep safe.

Your training deserves better rewards than you will probably get so here's hoping you get them in your next marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »
    But you scrapped that award last year :mad:

Reason was not enough nominations. I am a man of the people nominate more next time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Best of luck. Keep out of them ditches :D

KC, so sorry you haven't learned to consider yourself a solar cell powered by the sun like so many of your Kenyan peers have successfully learned to do we couldn't show you a little more hospitality and better manners with cooler temperatures, but play the hand you are delt in a smart manner, and make adjustments accordingly. And, if you aren't happy with your time when it's all said and done, you can always use this handy-dandy conversion calculator to make yourself feel better by converting what your completed time would have been if the day had been at a different temperature. (It does elevations too!!) :)

http://runworks.com/calculator.html

04072511 wrote: »

Dont throw in the towel until race day at least. Weathermen must be among the only people who don't get fired for being wrong more that 50% of the time!

You don't want to do a Haile also: Buy into the media hype about smog in Beijing and all that crap, decide against the marathon, run the 10k instead which he never had a hope in hell at, then realise he made a horrific mistake giving up on the marathon long before the games.

Play the whole thing by year. If you feel good and the weather feels manageable then go for it. You can always slow down if you find the temperatures getting uncomfortable, but can you really speed up to make up for time lost?
    Yeah, I won't be making any rash decisions, certainly not until the gun goes off. Just trying to prepare myself psychologically for the massive blow, if things don't go to plan, weather wise. It'll be a tough one to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

PBs (albeit age-graded) will be set in the pub on Monday night. Let's just make sure we all reach that startline in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck in Beantown, Krusty. Don't get physed by weather - it should be a bit cooler early in the day and outside the city.

• Advertisement

If the weather turns out to be as bad as predicted there's 2 other things you could do:

1) Sign up for a marathon in 4 weeks time somewhere in Northern Europe and use this as a very long LSR. Not ideal given you have tapered now but you have the training in the bank so you may aswell get the most out of it.

2) Treat monday as a race rather than a PB assault. Conditions are the same for everyone so you could still try finish as high up the field as possible, just with a slower time than normal.

There's a third option:
    Something I haven't done in a race before; run by heart rate. I'm thinking that if i ran but kept my HR below something like 160bpm until at least the 22 mile mark, it would allow me to at least finish healthy and strong, and my finish time would be whatever it might happen to be. Will mull it over some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Hopefully your heart rate on the day equals your goal race pace ;) Its a hard one to call, racing in the heat. Id personally run the first 2-4 miles conservatively and see how the conditions are affecting the body. Best of luck anyways, looking forward to the race report already :D

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Hopefully your heart rate on the day equals your goal race pace ;) Its a hard one to call, racing in the heat. Id personally run the first 2-4 miles conservatively and see how the conditions are affecting the body. Best of luck anyways, looking forward to the race report already :D
    That's what I'm thinking. Typically my HR during a marathon would be around the 160 mark, so if I keep it around there during the race at least until after the hills, it'll probably allow me to maximize my time (consistent with my trained effort levels) while avoiding heat exhaustion.

Unfortunately there were no pleasant surprises with the weather forecasts this morning. It's looking hot, hot, hot!

http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/ballardvale-ma/01810/hourly-weather-forecast/2251352?day=2

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

All the best for tomorrow KC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck Krusty. After Chicago, the weather in Boston will feel chilly ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck in the morning, get another PB anyway if the heat starts to put an end to a lower target....and enjoy it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Just catching up on your log after a lengthy sabbatical and looking forward to hearing how you get on today, sounds like you're in flying form despite the lack of hills in your Roscommon training:)
    Best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

anyone know what time (irish time) is kick off.?

• Advertisement

I believe the start here in the US is at 10, so that makes it a 3pm start your time.

Advertisement