Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just heard a few rumbles of thunder there now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yep that was some rumble - thunder and lightning here in North County.

ditto down here
    2 flashes-one rumble
    lashing rain

I wonder will they maintain - possibly even enhance into the early hours. Looks very unstable on the East coast on radar in the last 2 hours. Flooding risk I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

valid from 25.04.2009 03:39 CET Until 25.04.2009 20:59 CETThunderstorms
    Awareness Level: Yellow
    none "Isolated thunderstorms will occur during Saturday, especially in the afternoon and evening."
    :
    valid from 25.04.2009 04:15 CET Until 25.04.2009 23:00 CETRain
    Awareness Level: Yellow
    none "25 to 30mm of rain will accumulate locally during Saturday."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Some thunder here in Leitrim at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Looks like it's really kicking off in the last hour to my north (and headed this way :D )...sky is looking very purplish grey over the mountains and the air is very still. Hope we get something out of this before the energy disipates. Snowbies detector is showing a lot of strikes around the lough nea shore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Today looks good for the odd rumble or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Today does look good.

Estofex has placed all of Ireland inside a thunderstorm risk zone.

Meteoalarm has "Moderate risk of scattered thunderstorms" for every part of Ireland.

Met.ie mentions the risk of TS activity from this afternoon till tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

It was pretty interesting being on the western side of that belt that slid down along the west coast on Sautrday evening. It went all tthe way from NI down to Cork/Kerry. I was in Clare for the weekend and was just on the edge of it. To my east was extremely purple and the rainfail radar was showing some great precip happening. It was the thinnest front I've seen ever I think. Didn't hear/see any thunder or lightening out of it. I can't find a decent lightening detector site for the iPhone either as they all use Flash which isn't supported but I'd have been interested to see if there was any fireworks going on.

• Advertisement

Just had a thunderstorm here north of arklow with forked lightning and very heavy hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Aye, could see the anvil from DCU. Looked to be quite large. Did it last long?

The thunder end of it about 10 minutes before it rumbled off to sea.

Looks like a massive one to the North now with a huge shelf cloud.
    Heavy hail coming down as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Yeah its gone very dark around here. Would love to get a few flashes :cool:

Thunder rumbling here at the moment on the Wicklow wexford border!

Very heavy hailstorm-hard pellets maybe a cm wide.
    Alarms going off in the neighbours.

Thunder was coming from a connected shower to the south of this one.The sky is alive with cb's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Rumbles of thunder and flash of lightning here in the Midlands!
    Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Been thundering on and off the last couple of hours here in Dundalk...showers coming from the SW are always our best chance of seeing some sparks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

What way are those heavy showers in Munster tracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

We had incredibly heavy downpours at times in the afternoon, but i did not hear any thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Hail and thunder here in Maynooth at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Some very heavy looking rainfall in Waterford at the moment according to the latest radar.

Just a few rumbles here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

No thunder here yet but looks very threatening indeed. Just started to piss rain, have it approaching on timelapse and managed to cycle down to the harbour real quick just before the rain to get a few snaps of the structure :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heard two rumbles myself a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Reports of thunder and lightning from dalkey and very bad rain as well so i'm told with some local flooding

Advertisement