Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

We had a mini Tornado here in Waterford City. The rain was unreal like a wall of water. http://www.rte.ie/aertel/107-01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

12z GFS hi res just released with not much change from yesterday. East has been taken out of the risk area but perhaps for the mid Irish sea. No organised trough to cross the country later from this output.

Western seaboard and north look set for some heavy showers later with maybe an isolated storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thunderstorm sliding to my SE here. Very vivid blue white lightning with some very dramatic skies to the SW. Thunder rumbling up from Shamtown. Deadly. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Got thunderz with a hail shower here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Same here, couple of strikes, average hail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And Shannon reporting thunder at 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just over 1600strikes so far 00-24Z and i haven't heard one rumble except for one deep one at dinner time:rolleyes:

http://www.irlweather.com/wxsatellite.php

Alot more Cb's heading into the western half of the country.
    Hail and gusty winds seems on right through the night with more rumbles to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

A heavy enough hailstorm with lightning @ 7.15 lasted around 10 mins.

1f8d247898.jpg

Within 30 mins the whole thing had melted leaving my yard under water for the 2nd time this weekend :mad:

5cbdeea1c9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Thunder and lightning here now for the last ten minutes or so.

Plenty of hail falling as well

Had a lot of silent lightning here last night, which I found out today in Galway was due to a pretty impressive storm that passed near the city at around 1.00am. Its funny, anytime I am in Galway, there is more likely to be a storm here at home, and when I am at home, storms always seem to hit the city.

Is it me? am I jinxed? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Some nice lightning and thunder this morning at 5am. Only lasted 10 minutes mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

Hearing a bit of thunder here at the moment. 4 or 5 distant rumbles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

very nasty in carrigtwohill for a time.
    Power cuts and severe lightening. Didn't last long but was nasty and was right overhead

Had a weak rumble here half an hour ago, although the shower that passed looked far more impressive than it actually was. All bark and no bite job again. Some big looking showers to my north at the mo so hopefully something will happen. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meteolarm is reporting a moderate threat of scattered thunderstorms over Ireland today (strange, it's showing as green). Any comments from the experts?

Meteoalarm

Na, i reckon someone screwed up there. When it says awareness level yellow the map should show yellow.

Actually its all a bit screwed up. If you click on any of the yellow special awareness areas for the UK it says no special awareness required.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Lightning seen of Dublin coast around 7.40 this morning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thunder here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Long and Loud Thunder Rumbling above North wicklow mountains/coast.
    The sky is too grey to make locate flashing, the rain storm has passed, so it must be moving out to sea or inland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Big ass thunderstorm over Deansgrange area in Dublin short while ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Few flashes and bangs earlier in booterstown

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thunderstorm being reported at Shannon atm.

A weak flash here just now (Newcastle) , no thunder, but intense rain that starts then stops then starts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

We had a bit of thunder over Tralee this morning. There was a lot of anvils and heavy showers passing over Dingle peninsula, but didn't hear any more thunder back there, which was strange as they were pretty damn intense showers

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

We had a thuderstorm here this morning at around 7.00am. This evening just after 7.00pm we had a very intense storm with 5 or 6 very bright flashes followed immediately by thunder and very heavy rain, this showed up on the Met Eireann rainfall radar as a red dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

RoisinD wrote: »
    We had a thuderstorm here this morning at around 7.00am. This evening just after 7.00pm we had a very intense storm with 5 or 6 very bright flashes followed immediately by thunder and very heavy rain, this showed up on the Met Eireann rainfall radar as a red dot.

My parents live in north Clare and they were telling me about that shower this evening when I rang home about eight pm. Made me jealous! We've had sweet F.A. Of that sort of weather in Dublin here all day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

THUNDERSTORM OVERHEAD RIGHT NOW!

Can hear it here - must go to look!

Had a quick hang out the bedroom window for a couple of minutes - nothing seen - but I did hear on roll of thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

The loudest rumble of thunder I have ever heard, just happened 5 minutes ago here in shankill. There was less than a second between the flash and the rumble.

The rare ball lightening?! :D

Advertisement