Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

CBs beginning to build over the Wicklow hills (seen from Dundrum).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

Seems to be a few popping on the last frame.

Meteoalarm showing us in yellow for TS risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

next couple of days shaping up for possible thundery downpours.

ukcapeli.png

tomorrow mornin lookin rough

ukprec.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Nice band of showers heading steadily for the East coast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

CAPE doesn't show much potential today.

tuesday afternoon looks juicy for the west if this chart holds up till then.

ukcapeli.png

met eireann outlook seems promising for thundery downpours.there tuesday forecast seems to correspond with the cape and li chart above.

Clear/sunny spells and scattered showers for most places on Monday night and Tuesday, with the risk of some heavy or thundery showers (mainly daytime Tuesday) - however, the cloudy rainy weather may linger in parts of Ulster. Wednesday will bring showers or longer outbreaks of rain to most areas. Further heavy falls of rain on Thursday, mainly over the southern half of the country, with brighter showery conditions further north. Moderate to fresh southeast winds will gradually back northeast. Highest daytime temperatures will generally range 10 C to 14 C.

some serious thunderstorm activity forecast for wales and southern england on wed.we'll get our fair share of downpours too.

ukcapeli.png

im also pleased to announce that forecasted thunder risk for tues.i think more south and further west though.its wed that more prolonged rain hits eastern and southern areas with some considerable precip.

valid from 14.04.2009 00:38 CET Until 14.04.2009 21:00 CETThunderstorms
    Awareness Level: Yellow

lightning-risk "Moderate risk of isolated thunderstorms today."

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/countryIE.asp?Country=IE&lang=EN&ShowDate=

• Advertisement

Finally! At least there's even a risk of something interesting happening!

Hmmm, scratch yesterday. Estofex has issued a Level 2 warning for today. The east coast has a risk of thunderstorms.

http://www.estofex.org

Theres a big slodge of stuff now heading into a line from North wexford up through wicklow and into Dublin.
    The rain is persistant here now but mainly light so far.
    It's getting heavier though.

Looks like 2 potentially thundery trains have developed maybe 50 miles wide.
    One of them is stretching from the Brest peninsula through the channel islands/SW England and feeding northwestwards towards the south coast.

That will feed the same areas that got it last night from the same source and still have it today ie from waterford westwards across much of cork,parts of kerry and Limerick.
    Theres actually a big collection of storms over the English channel that will follow that trajectory and eventually affect those counties.

The other Train is coming out of North Wales and the firing line from that lot is East Ulster down south into Louth and possibly north Dublin.
    At the moment, the storms moving out of Wales seem the most active so the likelyhood of thunder from louth northwards is high.

Those under both trains,though there will be lulls at times are going to see an awfull lot of rain in the next 12 to 18 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I wonder will they have the legs...the English Channel storms look like heading west and certainly won't affect here but may clip the south east. Maybe some development coming out of Wales in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Looking at Stormvue, there seems to be serious action in the Irish Sea tracking NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Looks like there's a big one just off the Wexford/Wicklow coast, according to StormVue:

Looks like there's a big one just off the Wexford/Wicklow coast, according to StormVue:
    Yup we had a thunderstorm here[just south of Arklow] at about 9pm for a half hour or so .
    Lots of lightning and loud banging but hardly any rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thunder & Sheet lightning here in wexford town & forth mountain area.. Around 20 minutes of lightning then it started bucketing rain..

We were getting flashes every 5 seconds at one point!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes look at the colours on the met radar.

Its resolution really coming in to its own now.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

funkyflea wrote: »
    Thunder & Sheet lightning here in wexford town & forth mountain area.. Around 20 minutes of lightning then it started bucketing rain..

We were getting flashes every 5 seconds at one point!

I could see it in the distance. Never seen anything like that before,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭squonk

got woken by a seriously loud bang of thunder at 6AM this morning. Nothing more though. I was going to get up if I thought there'd be lightening to spot. Here's hoping for some more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Must have been the same clatter that woke me up, squonk. I don't think I've heard it that loud before...

Yeah, it sounded more like an explosion than a clatter of thunder. I live near the Belfast train line so my immediate thought was one of the trains got derailed or something! Mad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Aye, I thought the gang from Lost had crashed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I heard nothing and I'm very disappointed! :D I did think that the sky had a very thundery look about it when I got up this morning.

I'm surprised you missed it Shamwari! It was pretty loud. Having said that, it was just one rumble and I probably heard it because I was half awake anyway, it just finished the job :)

serious convection over ireland central africa:(

0FYiJHcshatul

for thunder and lightning is no lark when dublin city is in the dark...la la la

oh yes gettin very interesting,could have some light show later

• Advertisement

very heavy precip forecast for round 3am and 6am

ukprec.png

090424_1200_18.jpg

def looks like alot of rain coming overnight and morning

Met Eireann
    Weather Warning

Issued at 24 April 2009 - 15:30
    Heavy rain warning
    Spells of heavy rain expected this evening, overnight and on Saturday with some local flooding. 25 - 40 mm rain possible with parts of Leinster and Munster most at risk

Advertisement