Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery Shopping with your male half?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I would have thought most couples go shopping together, so that each half can get things they each like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is "shop" a slang term for something else ?

Yes its slang for "to exchange monetary units for goods and/or services which can be used for sustenance, lifestyle maintenance, and other such essentials".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No one has mentioned the inability to pack things properly????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Anytime i've gone shopping with my girlfriend, we end up with way more crap than we've needed, and mostly sweets and junk. Its one of those things that I wouldn't buy them on my own, and SHE wouldnt buy them on her own, but one or the other of us realises that if we can even slightly get the other to concede just a bit, then we can blame the other for "****s sake, why do we have so many sweets? I just ate the entire pack like ffs". Its handy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nouggatti wrote: »
    No one has mentioned the inability to pack things properly????

:confused: Why would they? Isn't that what the person at the checkout is for? Plus, I worked in a Spar for three years so I'm pretty clued in as to what can and can't go in with what so never any hassles there.

I personally love the weekly shop and have no problem doing it on my own. I know what she likes so always get the right things. It's great going home and having a full fridge! We do usually go together though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused: Why would they? Isn't that what the person at the checkout is for? Plus, I worked in a Spar for three years so I'm pretty clued in as to what can and can't go in with what so never any hassles there.

I think possibly I have OCD as to how groceries should be packed :D

And there are no bagpackers in my local supermarkets :)

nouggatti wrote: »
    I think possibly I have OCD as to how groceries should be packed :D

And there are no bagpackers in my local supermarkets :)

+1 on both counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

takola wrote: »
    I hate shopping and always find it stressful. Packed store and queue's out the door. It's painful!

24 hour Tesco Ardkeen is just the job for this. I tend to go in at 10pm after my evening shift. Or if it's the weekend, at about 11 or 12! I can't stand when there are loads of people in the supermarket - especially loads of children. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, and I understand that not everybody can leave them at home, but it's the ones that basically run wild there that drive me mad. When we were young, my mother used to go shopping on a Friday evening and we'd all stay at home. But if we did end up going with her, there was no acting up or "I want this, I want this" and throwing tantrums. We simply wouldn't have gotten away with it!

So I find my way easier to cope with. We usually just do little shops often - getting food for dinner etc - then when all cleaning stuff and things you don't buy every week are running low we'll go do a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Women are horrifically inefficient at shopping, so I prefer going on my own, but sometimes she'll come with me and it takes twice as long.

I also get given out to for walking away and leaving the trolley at the far end of an aisle cos her bag is in it. I've been leaving the trolley to its own devices for most of my life, so I'm not going to start thinking about her handbag now, she'll just have to carry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

We do it together and it's grand, in and out in half an hour. As for the kissing and cuddling - why would you do that, just why???

I live in Tullow and we always laugh at the fact that the car park is full of middle-aged men sitting in the car waiting for their wives to do the shopping. "Arrah, I couldn't be in doing dat, dat's wimmins work..."

I always just wonder why they don't just stay at home and let the wife drive herself if they dislike it that much???

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I always just wonder why they don't just stay at home and let the wife drive herself if they dislike it that much???

Don't get me started on wimmin drivers /joke!!!

:pac:

We do it together and it's grand, in and out in half an hour. As for the kissing and cuddling - why would you do that, just why???

I live in Tullow and we always laugh at the fact that the car park is full of middle-aged men sitting in the car waiting for their wives to do the shopping. "Arrah, I couldn't be in doing dat, dat's wimmins work..."

It is a social thing, my dad loves that because he get to chat with randomners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

My parents are a DISASTER when they go shopping together. And they each complain separately to me about the other's short-comings :D

"She spends ages deciding what yoghurts to get!"
    "He can't stand still for 2 mins and then we end up forgetting things!"

The only thing that happens when the OH goes shopping is he gets a box of fun, sugary, kiddy cereal and I get a "boring" one when I go on my own!

When we go together he picks up a load of biscuits and sweets and then moans to me that I "shouldn't have let him buy them!"

So we avoid the Danger Aisle of Goodies if possible :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Theres a shopping centre near me, that i hate going to on my own...its couples everywhere!! My boyfriend thought i was mad, but he came with me one day and noticed it too...
    couples, everywhere, holding hands, kissing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hate that, but Id take it over skanger mams roaring the heads off their kids for asking for chocolate, or fat babies squahed into the trolleys with a mouthful of deli sausage rolls!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I asked my hubby about the kissing - he said that he loves me and he enjoys it! (We both do) To be fair we hug and kiss all the time, I dont see how being in a supermarket makes any difference!

Femmy wrote: »
    Theres a shopping centre near me, that i hate going to on my own...its couples everywhere!! My boyfriend thought i was mad, but he came with me one day and noticed it too...
    couples, everywhere, holding hands, kissing...

It seems from this thread that this is a regular occurence. I can't say I've ever noticed people being all couply in the supermarket. And I can't say I think of it as a romantic place, so why would people be like this? Shopping is purely functional for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

My OH bought a telescopic baton.
    http://www.code09.com/productdisplay.php?pid=5&gclid=CLvt4pO_q5YCFQpPQgodXjqyzA

Now when I try and put chocolate biscuits, beer, crisps, organic lambs lettuce, green tomato sauce, tellytubby crackers, cupcake tins, jml products or superglide into the trolley she extends her baton. Usually just the extension of the baton is enough to put me off put sometimes I try and sneak it in and that results in a stinging whip to my buttocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Myself and the OH have been shopping more often in Lidl since the "recession" and that place is full of chocolate/sweets/cakes - the trolley would be full of Bramley Apple Pies/Swiss Rolls etc if I let him.
    Sent him to do weekly shopping one day and he came back with tons of stuff for a ridiculously cheap price - half the stuff I wouldn't eat ie really cheap meat, 20 fish fingers for €1 etc - bless him though he thought he did really good!!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is a social thing, my dad loves that because he get to chat with randomners.

But they're not talking to anyone, they're just sitting in their cars on their own!

I'm guessing it's to do with being from a rural town and of a certain age - none of the wives drive and the men won't be seen in the supermarket with them.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

taconnol wrote: »
    But we just started an organic fruit & veg box order that will be delivered every week to the door-woohoo! Then it will be down to the local shop just for packaged goods like dairy, etc.

where did you organise this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

But they're not talking to anyone, they're just sitting in their cars on their own!

I'm guessing it's to do with being from a rural town and of a certain age - none of the wives drive and the men won't be seen in the supermarket with them.

Let HER in door Drive thier CAR ? are you mad man ?
    Heavens for bid he be trapped at home while she is gallivanting off shopping
    spending his money on gods knows what.
    Least this way she only goes food shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Let HER in door Drive thier CAR ? are you mad man ?
    Heavens for bid he be trapped at home while she is gallivanting off shopping
    spending his money on gods knows what.
    Least this way she only goes food shopping.

I recall when I was working in the local supervalu (approx 10 years ago) some neighbours of ours would be in every week doing the shopping. He would wait while she went around with the trolley.

However, when I would tell the wife what the shopping came to, up he'd come from where he was hanging around the magazines and hand over the money. He wouldn't give her the money to do the shopping, but no way was he doing the shopping himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

nkay1985 wrote: »
    It seems from this thread that this is a regular occurence. I can't say I've ever noticed people being all couply in the supermarket. And I can't say I think of it as a romantic place, so why would people be like this? Shopping is purely functional for me.

Its really strange...because its only one particular shopping centre...the other ones are fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I see couples shopping all the time holding hands and stuff.
    Myself and my OH are always hugging anyway no matter where we are so we don't change out habit just cause we're out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

oh god i never go shopping with hubby,,,i wouldn't be able to buy the nice things,,lol,,plus he'd give out about the price of everything so i go alone,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'm in the process for trying to teach the OH about special offers and stuff. He never checks the price of anything whereas I will check what on offer. He's also very picky so if I was to let him go on his own he'd by the most expensive version of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I hate shopping with anyone, so grocery shopping with someone is a no no. Its not bonding time :eek: or a romantic stroll for kisses..its shopping.

In, shop, out. No big deal really.

Morgase wrote: »
    I recall when I was working in the local supervalu (approx 10 years ago) some neighbours of ours would be in every week doing the shopping. He would wait while she went around with the trolley.

However, when I would tell the wife what the shopping came to, up he'd come from where he was hanging around the magazines and hand over the money. He wouldn't give her the money to do the shopping, but no way was he doing the shopping himself!

That is focking crazy! Were they given money to buy a few sweets for themselves too???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

That is focking crazy! Were they given money to buy a few sweets for themselves too???!!!

As I recall, the wife was actually a really economical shopper and not buying any silly stuff. It used to freak me out as a young wan to see a person in that situation.

OT: We both do the shopping at the weekend, I rarely do it on my own. He dislikes having to do the shopping but I'm his gf, not his mammy looking after him!

Advertisement