Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

butterbun wrote: »
    Toradora is the ultimate romcom, I hope you finish it. It made me feel feels:)

I just finished it a few minutes ago. loved it all the way through but i'm not sure how I feel about the ending

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

just watched Berserk - The Golden Age Arc 1 - The Egg of the King. It's pretty violent but very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Started watching the 2nd season of Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. Hard to remember what happened last season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭IHeartYuki

Just started watching Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri. I'm hoping for good things as I'm reading the manga and enjoying it.

IHeartYuki wrote: »
    Just started watching Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri. I'm hoping for good things as I'm reading the manga and enjoying it.
    I enjoyed that first episode, i havent read any of it so I dont know how it goes but im just hoping they'd dont overuse the whole otaku thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I am absolutely burnt out on anime as I am. Don't really have any more tolerance for a lot of the more common tropes, (Ordinary highschool boy until one day something supernatural happens! Fights, magic and girls!!)

Currently all that's on my plate is Psycho Pass, then I'll redo Texnohlyze and Ergo Proxy, FMA:B will get its turn eventually and then I'm not really sure from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Numina wrote: »
    I am absolutely burnt out on anime as I am. Don't really have any more tolerance for a lot of the more common tropes, (Ordinary highschool boy until one day something supernatural happens! Fights, magic and girls!!)

I've not really much interest in the usual tropey stuff, if you're getting burned out by it, take a break from it, or try something that's different to the stuff that's getting you burned out. If you like Psycho Pass and Ergo Proxy, then you've got some good taste there! :pac: I'll throw some recommendations that I think might suit as they're pretty far from trope heavy, no ordinary highschool boys involved.

Monster - Japanese doctor in Germany pre- fall of the Berlin wall saves the life of a child who's family defected from East Germany and were then murdered, said doctor is then suspected of murder and goes on the run to prove his innocence and find the real killer. It's a dark psychological thriller, nothing supernatural at all, protagonist and main characters are all adults.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy - Extremely and brutally violent samurai show.

From the New World - This is hands down one of the best things I've ever seen. I'd recommend you go into it knowing very little about it, the way the plot unfolds is just incredible storytelling, it's a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I mean, I already avoid your average highschool supernatural comedy shounen shows. For the entirety of 2013 I didn't watch anything, that's the first time I felt burned out with anime, but I can't even enjoy something now like Plastic Memories, which was promising at first but then common character archetypes and tropes bored me. That's probably the most disappointing thing about watching anime, when a show in an upcoming season seems like it'll be different from the rest, but a few episodes in it just gives in and panders to the demographic.

The past year I crossed some things off my list like Mushishi, the Satoshi Kon movies I hadn't yet watched, Zankyou, Planetes, and Hunter X Hunter (HxH really put me in the slump I'm in now though, Chimera Ant wasn't all it was cracked up to be for me.) and with those done now I feel like I'm running low on other shows that I really want to watch. Most of my watchlist consists of shows which I feel slightly above apathetic about, like "hmm, yeah maybe that might be good" rather than "wow I need to watch this."

I love Monsutah, one of my favourites, Dead on with that recommendation.

Shigurui is sitting on my watchlist but I haven't paid it any mind though, I'll look further into it. With Gantz being my favourite manga (after Yotsuba,) to get me to watch something literally all you have to do is tell me that it's gory, violent or ****ed up in some way.

Shinsekai Yori is also on my watchlist, and one of the shows I've been heavily considering because coupled with the synopsis, the poster art has me particularly intrigued because it kind of reminds me of Makoto Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭IHeartYuki

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that first episode, i havent read any of it so I dont know how it goes but im just hoping they'd dont overuse the whole otaku thing

I don't think they do. I think it was really a hook to explain why he was in that part of town on the day the gate opened. It comes up from time to time but not as much as in Outbreak Company say.

IHeartYuki wrote: »
    I don't think they do. I think it was really a hook to explain why he was in that part of town on the day the gate opened. It comes up from time to time but not as much as in Outbreak Company say.

Well thats good, because usually the main reason why I drop shows is if the main character being an otaku is a huge deal

• Advertisement

Just finished watching Another for the second time, this time around with herself. I think she liked it ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Another sounds good will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 8 reforming giant

Recently started reading shokugeki no souma. Didn't think I'd like it but it turned out to be really good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Just finished watching Serial Experiments Lain and Cowboy Bebop. Lain took a bit of getting used to, in fact I ended up watching it twice in the end. It is a great piece of work. Cowboy Bebop was utterly fantastic and is one ill be definitely watch again.

I watched episodes 1-12 of Monster and I am undecided on it. It has a good story but it felt a bit like The Incredible Hulk with yer man going round from place to place. I may not bother with the next 70 episodes!

Monster is amazing, I'd recommend sticking with it, its one of my favourite shows by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Recently started reading shokugeki no souma. Didn't think I'd like it but it turned out to be really good.

Just started that myself, makes me hungry all the time :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I watched about 12 episodes of Kenshin on youtube but had to stop as it was boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pandareaper

I just finished watching Is it wrong to hit on girls in a dungeon. The name gives the wrong impression but it is an awesome show especially if you're into fantasy or rpg games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Watched "another" today and went full on full on binge mode completing the whole series! Haunting stuff at times but amazing show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Really enjoying the current season and watching a few things at the moment: Rokka - Braves of the 6 flowers; GATE; Overlord; Blood Blockage Battlefront

• Advertisement

I watched about 12 episodes of Kenshin on youtube but had to stop as it was boring

The action really intensifies very soon after that. I only watched 12 episodes but Ive read further on in the manga and it does get a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Watching Kotoura-san on netflix, was expecting a light hearted slice of life comedy, it was not ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Just watched the first episode of School Live. Holy **** did *that* take a turn I wasn't expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know. How could the dog not like that girl? Didn't see that coming at all. :)

Just really started back into anime after a long time away. So now am going to try and keep up with a few new series: School Live is one. Charlotte, Game of Laplace and Gangsta are the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know. How could the dog not like that girl? Didn't see that coming at all. :)

Just really started back into anime after a long time away. So now am going to try and keep up with a few new series: School Live is one. Charlotte, Game of Laplace and Gangsta are the others.

My favourite of this season so far has to be Rokka. Good fantasy series with an unusual Central/South American theme.

Having problems viewing newly uploaded stuff on Viewster through the xbox app. Really annoying me as I am falling behind on Arslan and Gangsta.

I just finished watching Is it wrong to hit on girls in a dungeon. The name gives the wrong impression but it is an awesome show especially if you're into fantasy or rpg games

Horrible title, great anime... hope it gets a second season.. rrrrrrrrrrrrromance!

I'm also watching a couple of ridiculous shows like Shimoneta and Prison School... both of which are along the lines of "what did I just watch? and why am I looking forward to the next episode?"

My favourite of this season so far has to be Rokka. Good fantasy series with an unusual Central/South American theme.

Oooh, I'll have to check it out. One of my favorite shows had a South American setting (Michiko & Hatchin).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

I want to take this opportunity to THANK all the great japanese artists to provide us with such enjoyable entertainment! I absolutely LOVE japanese anime. Since my partner and I discovered them we hardly watched anything else online.
    Here is a list of the ones I enjoyed most:

Mushi-Shi
    Cowboy Bebop
    Death Note
    GTO:Great Teacher Onizuka
    Hunter x Hunter
    Shinsekai Yori
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    Spice and Wolf
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Suisei no Gargantia
    Inuyasha
    Sword Art Online
    Barakamon
    Planetes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Okay, School Live Episode 7
    Okay that got me. How many times can they do that? Tempted to go back and watch to see the interaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Just watching: "The Irresponsible Captain Tyler". It's quite fun.

Advertisement