Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Co-op office didn't offer you anything ?
    Two interviews
    One that was looking of Bussiness students.
    One that started in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

Co-op is dacent. Best thing about UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Co-op is dacent. Best thing about UL.

It's certainly not decent when you're doing journalism and are forced to work for free for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It's certainly not decent when you're doing journalism and are forced to work for free for 6 months

Not only work for free, also having to pay rent/petrol/food my co-op sent me spiralling into debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Try teaching practice. Practically abuse.

• Advertisement

Something that is free is never appreciated. Co-op should be a choice, I know it's possible to get out of it but it takes a lot of red tape and lies to do so.

Please don't even get me started on the co-op office. Most unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is unpaid co-op not costing the same as a college semester? :confused:

You still need to pay for rent, food etc in college and you'd have less nights out when you have to be up for work

Nope, my co-op was further away, took up more of my time (priceless :p) and I was expected to eat out a few days a week with everyone else. Also had to buy clothes that weren't my usual baggy jeans and DCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Getting tossed around in circles by SAA, really getting tiresome :(

I suppose you can't get paid doing a Mickey Mouse course really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

And what course would that be??

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Journalism isn't a mickey mouse course if that's what you're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

toodleytoo wrote: »

Journalism isn't a mickey mouse course if that's what you're referring to.
    I think what he/she meant to say was journalists aren't in high demand at the moment.

Yes Mickey Mouse course indeed. Good few mice who graduated last year working in places like The Irish Times, The Examiner, Spin and The Farmers Journal to name but a few.

I'd be a happy mouse if I'm in that position when I finish next year.

What do you do btw, seeing as you have such an superiority complex about your own choice of third level course?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

FFS...

attachment.php?attachmentid=128200&d=1344184225

God that must be the most overused image on this fourm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Jester252 wrote: »
    God that must be the most overused image on this fourm.

This. Times a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

YFlyer wrote: »
    Went for a run last night and had to run out on the road to pass out all the Italians. One of them decided to race me 50 yards. He was like a young version of Capello :D They were all screaming crazy for him.

Have to do that every morning, trying to get to work from Thomond. It sucks if I'm late, because they invariably delay me by a few minutes. Always bunched in groups, talking loudly, unwilling to move over or let anyone else use the path...generally I end up having to walk through the squidgy grass in my work shoes to pass them - argh!

It's the cyclists coming from the opposite end of the bridge that I feel sorry for most, though. They're definitely fighting a losing battle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    This. Times a million.

And yet it's still as relevant as ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

spike-albums-misc-picture2346-do-not-feed-trolls.jpg

how about we use this from now on

• Advertisement

Believe me, my course is nothing special but when the college provides you with invaluable working experience over 6-8 months don't bash them if you don't get paid. That's down to the company you work for, not the college.

Luckily I am getting paid on co-op.

Believe me, my course is nothing special but when the college provides you with invaluable working experience over 6-8 months don't bash them if you don't get paid. That's down to the company you work for, not the college.

Luckily I am getting paid on co-op.

College didn't provide me with anything. In fact they were useless in finding suitable placement for the majority of my class

No one on co-op from my class got paid. Therefor it should be optional for people who cannot afford to give up there part time job to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

College didn't provide me with anything. In fact they were useless in finding suitable placement for the majority of my class

No one on co-op from my class got paid. Therefor it should be optional for people who cannot afford to give up there part time job to do it

If you're lucky enough to have a part time job...!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Hey all. Anybody know if o'mahony's sell the acetate cover you're meant to put your report into? Thanks.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Hey all. Anybody know if o'mahony's sell the acetate cover you're meant to put your report into? Thanks.

Your co-op report? The print place will do it for a 5er.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

mud wrote: »
    Your co-op report? The print place will do it for a 5er.
    First i heard of a cover:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I think I paid 3 or 4 euro in the print room to have my co-op report done in that acetate thing

ya college work

• Advertisement

You are not forced to do it. If you don't get co-op you have a semester in the college doing like 2 or 3 modules or something like that. There's no gun to your head about co-op like...

Advertisement