Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejuvenation - Halloween 2rooms Of Oldskool @ The Vaults Oct 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

DUB1 wrote: »
    Ah lads ur missing jonnys point & i totally understand were he is comming from & from a former asylum head im sick of the so called asylum & sides sets that get played by the old djs all they play is the so called anthems which are really just the tunes off the tapes & radio classics not the real sound of the asylum & hardcore got played in the asylum all the time from its beginning till its end thats wat was so gr8 about the place, i think the djs are afraid to take a risk & play alot of unknown tunes that people who were not at these clubs wudnt kno so they just play the so called anthems & i lik the rejuv gigs & i really enjoyed ed case's hard trance set but its was not an pure asylum set as a lot of the tunes he played were from 95 lik death row etc,etc & hopfully il make it to this nite & hopully the djs opoen up there record collections a bit & open up a few minds to the hole sound of old skool :cool:

You know what Marc, I'm gonna get you to DJ one of these unknown sets at the next Flashback in Bray!

A DJ's job is to get people dancing. If people don't dance to the stuff they are playing then they're not doing they're job. No point in playing stuff that people aren't feeling. It happened me at the last Rejuvenation in The Cavern. I played a few not so big tunes and the floor went quiet but when I stuck on the Deeper Cut mix of JX they were all back up straight away. I'd love to play all the rarer stuff too but sometimes you can get away with it.

Anyway, Rejuvenation was rocking the other night, thanks to the lads for having me on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

DEVOTION wrote: »
    You know what Marc, I'm gonna get you to DJ one of these unknown sets at the next Flashback in Bray!

A DJ's job is to get people dancing. If people don't dance to the stuff they are playing then they're not doing they're job. No point in playing stuff that people aren't feeling. It happened me at the last Rejuvenation in The Cavern. I played a few not so big tunes and the floor went quiet but when I stuck on the Deeper Cut mix of JX they were all back up straight away. I'd love to play all the rarer stuff too but sometimes you can get away with it.

Anyway, Rejuvenation was rocking the other night, thanks to the lads for having me on. :)
    this is true,most people dont want to be educated so like the man says if there not dancing your not doing your job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

The reason I deleted it was because I changed my mind. Thought it was a little over the top. I suppose I just have a different view of what old skool should be. The again I am only 25 and wouldn't have been old enough to go to these nights of yesteryear. Apologies if I offended anyone. ;) Although I stand by the point of people in tracksuits. Shouldn't be allowed. And its not snobbery, I'm from Finglas and far from a snob. Just don't understand why lads don't just throw on a pair of jeans.:confused: Felt like an under 18's because of this. :(
    Thought that was a bit low Sean to put that back up. I deleted it for a reason. I don't wanna be slating people whom have obviously put a lot of effort and hardwork into a night. Best of luck guys, just not my cup of tea.

The reason I deleted it was because I changed my mind. Thought it was a little over the top. I suppose I just have a different view of what old skool should be. The again I am only 25 and wouldn't have been old enough to go to these nights of yesteryear. Apologies if I offended anyone. ;) Although I stand by the point of people in tracksuits. Shouldn't be allowed. And its not snobbery, I'm from Finglas and far from a snob. Just don't understand why lads don't just throw on a pair of jeans.:confused: Felt like an under 18's because of this. :(
    Thought that was a bit low Sean to put that back up. I deleted it for a reason. I don't wanna be slating people whom have obviously put a lot of effort and hardwork into a night. Best of luck guys, just not my cup of tea.
    sincere apologies mate,i thought there was some unfair moderating going on or something(not trying to start a debate,just telling him why i reposted it)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

seannash wrote: »
    sincere apologies mate,i thought there was some unfair moderating going on or something(not trying to start a debate,just telling him why i reposted it)

No probs mate. Just a wee bit embarassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I know the mods are having a sh*t about this,but its good to see healthty debate about dance music and there seems be two distinct sides,

Not naming names but one side reeks of the worst kind of snobbery and the noses are clearly in the air,an ignorant dislike of oldskool,not because of the tunes and its nature,just because the people who like it and follow it,and i'll be fair,because Im part of that oldskool click,there is a lot of slagging done by the oldskool heads towards the guys into the newer stuff,

Hence why when you ever go an oldskool night you only meet people from working class backgrounds and those generally with a more laid back attitude to life,and whenever you go tripod,button factory,whatever,its mainly more a middle class affair,people are more refined and would have the important day jobs and go to college

Its unfortunate because thats not what scenes about,one side complaining that the new stuff is crap because it lacks the buzz of the oldskool,and the other side giving out about the oldskool saying its being down and get with the times and start giving new more laid back comercial stuff a try,

Its significant that both sides are at the opposite of the class divide,I think back in 91-92 when the oldskool stuff was big,it was an outlet for bored disadvantaged youths to go wild,not giving a f*ck about what you wear or what you do and loads of E'S,the new stuff nowadays is all about looking good,sexy women and plenty of coke,both sides are never going to see eye to eye,they both follow very different things

Theres me being all smart and deep,or maybe just talking b*llox,the later being probably most likely,but thought Id give this argument abit of depth

And sure how can you expect a forum be moderated fairly by someone who mods on Criket and Dance music,:D:D:D,sorry chief had to have a dig:cool:

bar that one comment (that should never had made it on here,my fault)
    what snobbery are you talking about.
    people who are into house music these days(or whatever genre you want to side on) arent about looking good and putting on a show.it just happens that its become more mainstream acceptable.thats it,nothing to do with class.its a different time.
    look at rock and roll,when it started out it was the devils music but then the mainstream accepted it and that was it.look how fashionable its become today because its accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    I know the mods are having a sh*t about this,but its good to see healthty debate about dance music and there seems be two distinct sides,

Not naming names but one side reeks of the worst kind of snobbery and the noses are clearly in the air,an ignorant dislike of oldskool,not because of the tunes and its nature,just because the people who like it and follow it,and i'll be fair,because Im part of that oldskool click,there is a lot of slagging done by the oldskool heads towards the guys into the newer stuff,

Hence why when you ever go an oldskool night you only meet people from working class backgrounds and those generally with a more laid back attitude to life,and whenever you go tripod,button factory,whatever,its mainly more a middle class affair,people are more refined and would have the important day jobs and go to college

Its unfortunate because thats not what scenes about,one side complaining that the new stuff is crap because it lacks the buzz of the oldskool,and the other side giving out about the oldskool saying its being down and get with the times and start giving new more laid back comercial stuff a try,

Its significant that both sides are at the opposite of the class divide,I think back in 91-92 when the oldskool stuff was big,it was an outlet for bored disadvantaged youths to go wild,not giving a f*ck about what you wear or what you do and loads of E'S,the new stuff nowadays is all about looking good,sexy women and plenty of coke,both sides are never going to see eye to eye,they both follow very different things

Theres me being all smart and deep,or maybe just talking b*llox,the later being probably most likely,but thought Id give this argument abit of depth

And sure how can you expect a forum be moderated fairly by someone who mods on Criket and Dance music,:D:D:D,sorry chief had to have a dig:cool:

Not only aimed at your post ro

Again about judging books by covers man, oldskool and dance music was never about disadvantaged, or uneducated people, FFS sure if that was the case then Saint vinnno de paul would have been staging raves

It's not for any certain class of people music, IT IS for anyone that wants to listen to it, like all music, what do most people miss about the halycon days of the rave/ dance scene?? - The freedom of expression, friendliness and non judgemental people and attitudes, Thats' what....

Ahh lads come on??!! Gettin way off the mark here.

Things can get blown out of proportion way too easily and that only causes aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭daragh_k

Firstly id just like to say.. What a night it was absoulute bedlum from start to finish and a great turnout... Would just like to thank everyone all the board members that turned up cant name yis all , the djs specially Paul Butler,James Devlin,Daranoid !!! and CAF aswell!!!.... Ken G put in a massive amount of work to make this night happen!!!! Myself and Ken were up to our ballox from the time the door opened so I only caught snippets of the sets.... James Devlin played a cracking red records set and had things well cranked up by the time Daranoid came on both rooms were full!!! Daranoid was banking as always and wrecked the place and Ken played some of the best all time sides/asylum classics La Tormenta,viewfinder,diggerman with some frankfurt beat aswell!!! In the other room Mick played some of the altime sides favs,missed Ed Case I was on at the same time heard some of Warren who played asylum/sides classics from the small bit I heard!!! Over the whole night in both rooms there was a wide range of OLDSKOOL played from uplifting house to banging hardtrance.I myself played a combination of both house then picked it up a notch or 2 for 2nd half of my set.... Almost everyone was dressed up and in the spirit of things and a night i'll always remember!!

2nd point is that I myself did attended the Asylum back in the day regularly from 93 til it closed and was there on the infamous last night aswell!!! Remembering back it was a lovely place full of dublins finest young socialites and some of dublins finest young men and women:D LOL... I think not it was a hole a "den of inequity" as the papers called it.. I loved the housey stuff in the asylum but also loved the darker sinister hard trance and the banging stuff that made the place wat it was!!! Compared to the Asylum places like the Vaults,Radio City and the Cavern are in all honesty the Ritz!!!(edit to add this part)Walking through the Asylum fresh at the start of the night up to the 3rd floor witout even a beer inside u now that was scary.Of course an hour later ye didnt care cause u were flying aswell!! (end of edit)

Yes we do have a young crowd that come to our night mostly in there 20's id say,they might lack a bit of table manners at times but the majority of them are sound youngfella's just out to have a buzz...and wats wrong with that???? I didnt see too many tracksuits 90% of ppl Id say were in fancy dress although I was so busy i could be wrong on that!!

Big thanks to yis all that made it our best night so far.... lookin forward to the next one already!!!

Cheers
    Daragh K

Just reading this tread from start to finish and its irritating to see people being so judgemental as if they have the right to cast judgement on people for what they wear and so on,what I find funny is that,the majority of the people who go to the oldskool nights particulary rejuvenation are from CELLBRIDGE!!!,and if you know me you'll know Im always slagging them for thier apperance,the ben sherman shirts,bet on tan levi 501 jeans and the one back and sides haircuts with fringe plastered down,they genrally look like their trapped in 1997,now as far as I know and Im not having a go at the place,but Celbrige is a very middle class respectable pleasant area,wouldnt really associate it with a place full of anti-social bogeys knife welding criminals,the lads there are into oldskool,and as I said in earlier post the oldskool scene is stereotyped as having working class image so the cellbridge lads are just emulating the image of being like that,so really the people your saying are abit bogey and have the tracksuits and so on,are probably youngfellas who are well brought up and from verly nice place thats not asscoiated with trouble,so I wouldnt be jugding the nights on the fact you saw afew people in tracksuits,as Luke said dont judge a book by its cover,sure in terms of trouble and scumbags,walk around temple bar at 3am on a sunday morning and see the flith and crap that does be going on,hens parties from England with their arses hanging out,and puking all over the place,gobsh*tes with too much drink throwing digs at each other,in reality your safer at an oldskool night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

In Fairness Ro, there are lots of degenerates from the inner city that go too. I'm from town myself and know some of these and I have seen them cause trouble. I was threathened by some coked up muppet in there for no reason other than getting served before him at the bar. They're not all wanabees from Cellbridge.There are some real maggots who go to these things.

But.....

I have to agree that you will get that everywhere. It's a bit harsh on the lads who organise these nights that they are getting lashed out of it over a few bogeys. If you go into any nightclub in town youll get scummers. A certain well known dublin gangster used Boomerangs as his club of choice on Saturday nights, and caused **** loads of trouble in there too. The point is that no matter where you go you'll get a few skangers.

I do have to admit though that tracksuits and caps in clubs do give it a bit of a scabby look. Not saying to whip out the D&G or anything, but a pair of jeans and t shirt would do. I know its all about the music and not the clothes, but for some of these gypos its just about getting out of their mallets on coke.

For me, coke is whats making the scene a bit trashy. If you have a room full of people on pills, then everyone is everyone elses friend. A room full of coke heads and everyones paranoid and the place is just waiting to kick off. Just my opinion.

In fairness man I lived on the outskirts of town meself and I never once met anyone I knew from town,I find its mostly exclusively Celbridge,few from Finglas,few from Blanch,not that it matters where you from,but have to say the trouble and people you say you saw I havent seen it myself,and I think Ive been to every night bar the one on Friday,I do bring my girlfriend with me when I go,and I wouldnt worry about her,but Ive never being someone who gets scarred by few dopes who think their mad,but one person in particular who is a right bogey,the width of em,think his name is Luke G haha

I understand what your saying, You like the nights you don't think its dodgy at all. You've never had any jip in it. Fair enough.

My point is just that I can understand why someone would get a turn off if they were threatened by some thick. It happened me, and while I would go back for an event I wanted to see, I wouldn't be rushing back everyweek. The sham that was trying to have a go off me was from Ballybough, and the only reason I didn't get a hiding off this coked up gimp is because I knew a couple of lads he was with from East Wall.

But as I said this can happen anywhere in any nightclub so I won't judge it and slam the organisers over it. It just means I wouldn't go to every night of it, but would go back in the future. It's not the guys who put on these nights that are to blame.

By the way dont think you say Coke is bad but Pills are Ok,drugs are drugs,and they cause problems wherever they are and whatever they are,unfortunately oldskool nights and dance nights in general go hand in hand with drugs

Hmm fair point man,I wouldnt appreciate some goon squaring up to me,but I wouldnt let them either,sorry for your experience mate,but there is alot of people who go the nights and wouldnt put up with that sh*te either,maybe a dress code should be implimented,I know its a rave,and you need wear runners,but at least a respectable shirt and pair of jeans,tracksuits not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Its not only the old school nights that experience the tension about the nights really. When i was in the vaults for yoji there was a bizarre kind of buzz, a horrible tension about the place like everything was going to kick off, and it did outside. It was the same with scott project to a lesser degree, was great fun no hassle but at the end it kicked off big time, and outside a big group of lads looking to continue their hassle. It wouldnt stop me going to a gig though but a few paro heads waiting to kick off seriously dampens the buzz. Sometimes the music is too good for you to care but the times it average its game over for the night and i hate it.

To be honest, I can handle myself if any sap started on me. The only reason I would have got the digs that night is because your man was with a gang of hard f*ckers with a reputation for shooters. The last thing I wanted was some little goon giving me the digs and not being able to do anything about it as there was me and my mate, and about 8 or nine of them.

I here what your saying about Dance events and drugs going hand in hand, but my point is that people on pills are generally just there to dance and have a good time and love everyone in the room. People on the Cha on the other hand are on a totally different buzz, which creates tension and often ends up in rows. I'm just saying how I see it. I'm not saying that its alright to do pills but coke is for skangers. Your right, drugs are drugs, I'm just saying that if theres a coke vibe in a place it can seriously dent an atmosphere.

G-child im not having an argument with ya mate,but from the way your going on there,Im not surprized your finding yourself involved in rows and getting digs,like talk about gangsters,and shooters and cha,and so on,like it sounds as if your someone who looks for trouble,and aggro,like when most people go out they want have good time,and dont care if someone in the club im in is a gangster or has a shooter or has a reputation or doing coke,I find bad things happen to people who want bad things to happen,if your minding your own business 99% of the time nobody will annoy you

No offence Ro, but you must be living in a bubble. I'm not looking for an argument, sorry if it comes across that way. I'm not running down the old skool nights, just that I'd be weary of some of the muck that go to them.

I was certainly not out looking for trouble. All I said was that I would be able to handle myself in a row, and I stand by that. What I dont want is to give some little clown the slaps, then get his goon mates waiting outside for me with a knife or worse. I said that I knew these people that where with this little scrote are nasty bastards who have a reputaion for armed roberries and generally bullying people. Thats not me being a hard cnut saying i know this gangster and I know that gangster, just me stating that these scummers who I knew, who go to these old skool nights, are dangerous b*stards who would glass you if you looked crooked at them. Thats not what I want from a night out. This chump put it up to me because I got served at the bar before him ( I was in the "Q" before him, but he didn't seem to give a rats arse about that) How is that me looking for trouble?

And are you saying that Cocaine doesnt make people aggresive and paranoid???? They wouldn't start a ruck over the slightest incident?? Very naive of you there mate. Your observation that all these people are wannabe's from Cellbridge is way off the mark, some proper dirtbags do be at these nights, but as I said, it happens everywhere.

The only time I mentioned a gangster was in reference to a very well known gangster who frequented Boomerangs, stating that no matter where you go, you'll find bogeys, whether its a dance night or not. I dont slate the old skool nights in Radio City/The Vaults over this as there are dirtbags everywhere.

Just to state again, I'm not lookin for an argument, even if it comes across that way in my replies. I'm just stating my opinion and my experiences. "1 mans sh*te is another mans treasure" and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

RaverRo808 wrote: »

Just to clarify, I'm not having a sh*t about anything. Its just the old skool v's other genre's arguement has been done over and over again on these forums, I appreciate that you are new around here, but trust me it has. As have a lot of the other my genre is better than your genre debate.

Also these type of 'discussions' often end up with personal insults been thrown and get out of hand easily. Very often they can spillover into =other threads as well.

I know you are having a bit of a dig with your last comment, but I can definitely say this is one of the fairest modded forums on boards. I make minimal mod inputs apart from moving/merging threads and deleting spam. The odd word to tell people to cool down and take thinds easy does not make unfair modding.

So in all, carry on, but keep it civil.

The celbridge lads aint wannabes lads, they are all the soundest blokes you'll meet, all mad into their tunes, and they just love goin to the gigs and havin the buzz, You'll never hear a bad word outta that lot, SOUND they are.

Luke G wrote: »
    The celbridge lads aint wannabes lads, they are all the soundest blokes you'll meet, all mad into their tunes, and they just love goin to the gigs and havin the buzz, You'll never hear a bad word outta that lot, SOUND they are.

I dont know if thats aimed at me, but I've never said anything bad against any lads from Cellbridge, I don't know them so its not me having a snipe at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

Don’t know how all this talk of people getting the **** kicked out of them and knackers waiting for **** to kick off bad vibes in the place got into this thread but just let me reiterate what Daragh said earlier, it was a great night.

Three lads came in in tracksuits don’t know how they got past the Vaults bouncers but they came in had a bop and didn’t bother anyone. There were few hundred in the place with the other event that was on in V2 and our own all mixed together (not all from Celbridge ffs:rolleyes:) even a few Asylum \ Sides OG’s floating about had a bop didn’t bother anyone.

A fight has never broken out at one of our gigs blokes launched out for being to drunk or selling yes, it think that’s par for the course.

Its all about the music at Suburban Sounds gigs :cool:

I wasn't trying to disrespect your nights. Just didnt agree with some of the stuff that was said earlier. Fair play to yous for putting these nights on and long may it continue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

I wasn't trying to disrespect your nights. Just didnt agree with some of the stuff that was said earlier. Fair play to yous for putting these nights on and long may it continue for you.

Ah I wasn’t talking to you buddy just a note on the general tone the thread is taking on under the heading Rejuvenation...... and thanks ;)

I dont know if thats aimed at me, but I've never said anything bad against any lads from Cellbridge, I don't know them so its not me having a snipe at them.

Not you man sorry

No worries chief.

All hail Kenny and Darragh for the nights they put on,without them there would be nowhere for us to have a bop in,and try relive the years of the asylum/olympic/sides(hint hint,is this a space to watch?:cool:) which we are unfortunately too young to have experienced,they work very hard to provide entertaining authentic oldskool nights(as well the new stuff),the money made at these nights is not for themselves or to make a profit,its to allow us all have a good time and for that we should be grateful,I know there are others out there who put on asylum/oldskool themed nights,and utmost respect to them,but there is a certain and effort and enthusiasm put on by the suburbarban sounds lads,as they were there back in the day,and know what they talking about,

Abit lickarse I know,but have to express gratitude to the boys,but the nights they have are the most fun I do have when Im out:)

Yeah,the rare odd time you get the odd bogey up to no good at a night,buy hey this is Dublin your living in:D

• Advertisement

Ro Sells The Gack In Radio City!!!!

Advertisement